YSSMAN's Infinite Crisis: Blackest Night (Post #816)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 828 comments
  • 52,189 views
Cars arent for impressing chics.

Correct, they're for getting from A to B as safely, reliably and efficiently as possible. Something that most cars will do better than a 107k mile 15 Year old Civic
 
+1

The Infiniti G20 had that engine and up until a few years ago, it had the highest percentage of one-owner cars still on the road. Very very reliable. Only problem is the SE-R Sentra is freaking impossible to find - when was the last time you saw one?

Never. Never got it here. Have had a few SR20s, one swapped into a Sentra. nearly impossible to kill. Mine ran with a busted thermostat, ran temps in the red all the time, never had any power or reliability problems.

----

G20's are expensive. Go for a B13 SE-R or even a B14 SE-L, which is a four door with the same engine. It's heavier and a bit slower, but it's still a fun car. B14s are also less prone to gear pop-out, have no rust issues, and have lots more space than an EG Civic. Not as light or tossable, but perfectly respectable handling cars.
 
My God he's actually going to buy this thing.

Joey... Azuremen... brace yourselves.

My god, you're acting like he's buying an '88 Nova.

His money. Let him do with it as he pleases.
 
guess what...the owner Blue-Booked it.

private party rate
excellent 4265
good 3865
fair 3400

the rate only nets the owner 235 dollars profit even in mint condition

don't you guys ever NADA or Bluebook a used?! (including equivelants, keeping our non US users well in mind)
 
Correct, they're for getting from A to B as safely, reliably and efficiently as possible. Something that most cars will do better than a 107k mile 15 Year old Civic
Maybe not so much the safety part, but reliably and efficiently, Hell yes.
 
Don't B13s have crazy rust problems? And aren't B14s terrible?
 
M5Power hates Civics, hmm?

Honestly, I'd rather have his Audi than that Si, but I doubt I could afford the Audi, and that looks like a nice Si. I'd only pay 3000 dollars for it, though. So, tell him 2500, and then negotiate from there.
 
Yeah, I got up late today, so I haven't done anything yet. I haven't even seen the car in person yet. Plus, apparently, my Grandmother can get me some kind of deal on a 2006 GTI. I'll have to look into that, here it is, but I highly doubt I can afford the insurance on that at the moment.
 
It's like driving a space ship.
Wow that must suck SO MUCH, I drove a car with electronic power steering and I wanted to crash it into a wall, you get absolutely no feedback.

A spaceship would have even more of that "disconnected" feeling.

If the new Civic really feels like that then it must suck, badly.
 
The new Civic is great, I've driven the Si and thought it was excellent although a bit difficult to drive in the city with it's revvy engine.
 
although a bit difficult to drive in the city with it's revvy engine.
Lol wut?


Although, if it really is good, it cannot feel like a spaceship. That's what a limo is supposed to feel like, not a Civic Si.
 
It's like driving an S2000 in the city, you have to rev it a lot more then most other cars to get it going. Maybe it's because I'm not really keen on driving a standard transmission but it just felt rather revvy compared to other cars I've driven...namely a 6spd GTI.
 
Wow that must suck SO MUCH, I drove a car with electronic power steering and I wanted to crash it into a wall, you get absolutely no feedback.

A spaceship would have even more of that "disconnected" feeling.

What I mean is, it's like driving a space ship because of the way the controls and dials are laid out:

honda_new_civic_interior_01_08_05.jpg
 
So, in spaceship terms, Less This.

GPN-2004-00026.jpg


More this.

arwing64.jpg


But, yeah, the current Si is one of the few Hondas I'd get. That, and the old Si coupe, and anything RWD.

Anyway, Keep us posted, Brad, tell us how this car is.
 
This thread has taken a turn for the worst. Everybody put on your spacesuits!:dopey:
 
I'd skip the spaceship and head for the nearest Yank-Tank. People down the street have what appears to be a mid-70s Cadillac DeVille (likely with the 500 ci V8) for sale. I keep reminding myself to stop and look at it, but I never have the time. Would be epic to have one of the last truly-American cars complete with 8 MPG, but, that wouldn't fly too far.

I'm calling on the Honda tomorrow, just to see if I can get a look at it in person, and hopefully drive it before the end of the week. Gotta see what kind of bank loans and insurance prices are available as well.

...That, and the 2006 GTI "at cost"

See the GTI here

Its out of my price range there, but I have no idea what kind of "deal" they'd give me since my Grandmother is a manager there. Who knows...

We'll see what happens.
 
-> After seeing that [EG] Civic. I think you hit the jackpot YSS, I mean sure the car is a bit on the high side, but all the benefits outweigh its disadvantages.

OT-> I too am looking for one too, me and my buddy are planning to share the car and we'll alternate driving the sucker.

BT-> If you can negosiate the fella down to USD$3,500 cash, I should say take it. Because you can't get an un-molested [EG] Si in a radius of 1,500 miles. Plus its very cheap to maintain, and putt-putts like a dream.

-> One advice though is get the Ravelco anti-theft immobilizers. Those Honda's are very hot, just being causous at the same time looking out for ya! ;)
 
Seeing as there's a 2007 Si sitting in the driveway of a 1999 Si owner, I'll provide a simpleton's assessment of all that car's newfangled technology.

The throttle sucks. It's electronic.

The steering is quick, precise, and solid. It's electronic.

The clutch and brake are light--the brake almost too light. Also, the throttle pedal is hinged to the floor and shaped in a way that makes heel-and-toe downshifting really easy and really fun. Well, besides that electronic throttle which means I have to forget everything I learned about rev matching and take lessons all over again.

The seats are killer.

The shifter is lame ass. It's quick, easy, and precise, but it's cable actuated, unlike my "old-school" hard linkage, which is the next best thing to the stick going straight into the tranny, a la Miata, Rex, Viper, or any other good sports car. The '99 is almost-sports car in that sense. You can feel--and even hear--the transmission working.

The engine is quite torquey at anything above 2000rpm, unlike my B16 which needs at least 3000. But the VTEC doesn't kick until 6000, which means the new car has 700 fewer go-fast revs than mine.

Basically the new Si is an awesome car, but my sports car mindset would advise me to get the old Hatch and tune it a bit. It's a much more pure and sporty car than the new FG. Also, it's proven to be reliable, unlike the transmission problems that are becoming apparent in K20 manual transmissions.
 
-> After seeing that [EG] Civic. I think you hit the jackpot YSS, I mean sure the car is a bit on the high side, but all the benefits outweigh its disadvantages.

Thats what I'm feeling too. Between the monthly payment on the loan and insurance, it'll cost about the same as just the monthly payment on a brand-new Mazda. I'd be happy to have an extra $130 in my pocket each month not having to pay insurance on that. Matched with the fuel-savings too (the Honda gets about 5 MPG better in the city), the only real problem I can think of is that it may have to run on premium... But I don't know for sure.

BT-> If you can negosiate the fella down to USD$3,500 cash, I should say take it. Because you can't get an un-molested [EG] Si in a radius of 1,500 miles. Plus its very cheap to maintain, and putt-putts like a dream.

I'm figuring an inital offer of $3500 to $3700, but I'm willing to work with the person. If its as good as it sounds, and has all of the maintenance up to date (says that it was dealer-serviced, all records available --> 90K service, newer tires, etc) I'm willing to go the extra mile to get a nice car. A/C be damned, it doesn't get that hot here anyway.
 
Don't B13s have crazy rust problems? And aren't B14s terrible?

B13 rust about = EG rust, IMHO. I've owned one, had a bud who owned the other. Same same. B14s? Well, purists hate them because they're beam axle unlike the multi-link B13, but they actually handle better because of the newer, stiffer chassis. Steering sucks compared to a Civic of the same time, but it's a pretty nice car.

Wow that must suck SO MUCH, I drove a car with electronic power steering and I wanted to crash it into a wall, you get absolutely no feedback.

Wait for it. It gets better. When electric racks get old and the motors start wearing down, they get heavier. Bang! You get the feel back. :lol:

The new Civic is an excellent car. It's just not for me. I really hate that rear suspension, very uninvolved in the act of driving. Unlike the EK's rear multi-link, which had much more passive rear-steer and a more delicate feel. The front-end geometry is awesome, though. Keyed in very well... although the way the car reacts overall to loss-of-grip is very so-so... very bobbing, shuddery and uninspiring.
 
...That, and the 2006 GTI "at cost"

That is my car except red and 15,000 less miles and maybe a missing option (I'm wondering why mine seems to be the only one with window tint).

The leather seems to be in similar shape, the body is in better shape and there are a lot less miles than mine, yet the price is about what I got out of KBB for mine ($16,000 to $20,000), so this may be a pretty good deal, especially if you can get the guy down some, which you should be able to do because I've only seen two on the road in Michigan.

It would be a good machine to own. And it also has a good bit of warranty left.
 
Seeing as there's a 2007 Si sitting in the driveway of a 1999 Si owner, I'll provide a simpleton's assessment of all that car's newfangled technology.

The throttle sucks. It's electronic.

The steering is quick, precise, and solid. It's electronic.

The clutch and brake are light--the brake almost too light. Also, the throttle pedal is hinged to the floor and shaped in a way that makes heel-and-toe downshifting really easy and really fun. Well, besides that electronic throttle which means I have to forget everything I learned about rev matching and take lessons all over again.

The seats are killer.

The shifter is lame ass. It's quick, easy, and precise, but it's cable actuated, unlike my "old-school" hard linkage, which is the next best thing to the stick going straight into the tranny, a la Miata, Rex, Viper, or any other good sports car. The '99 is almost-sports car in that sense. You can feel--and even hear--the transmission working.

The engine is quite torquey at anything above 2000rpm, unlike my B16 which needs at least 3000. But the VTEC doesn't kick until 6000, which means the new car has 700 fewer go-fast revs than mine.

Basically the new Si is an awesome car, but my sports car mindset would advise me to get the old Hatch and tune it a bit. It's a much more pure and sporty car than the new FG. Also, it's proven to be reliable, unlike the transmission problems that are becoming apparent in K20 manual transmissions.

Good post Keef - very interesting.
 
It would be a good machine to own. And it also has a good bit of warranty left.

The problem is, it'd have to be able to sell to me for $10K, and that won't happen. I'd love to do it, but its too new, too expensive... I think. We'll see of course.

Thing is, I don't make a whole lot of money (well-under $20K a year), and my parents won't pay for anything either. So between paying for school, and this, my budget is pretty much gone. I can handle the $200-ish a month it would be for the Honda, but not the GTI or a new Mazda. Not $450+, no way.
 
-> ...
Thats what I'm feeling too. Between the monthly payment on the loan and insurance, it'll cost about the same as just the monthly payment on a brand-new Mazda. I'd be happy to have an extra $130 in my pocket each month not having to pay insurance on that. Matched with the fuel-savings too (the Honda gets about 5 MPG better in the city), the only real problem I can think of is that it may have to run on premium... But I don't know for sure.
^ Early Si such as the [EG] Civic, doesn't require Premium gas. Since its not like other Honda engines like the B16 ([EK] Civic Si & Type-R), B17 ([DB2] Intergra GS-R), B18 VTEC ([DC2] Integra GSR & Type-R), and the K20 ([FG] Civic Si; [DC5] RSX-S; [CL7] TSX) In which all of them have ultra-high revs and compression ratios. So you're safe with an 87 oct., 91-95 oct, is optional, that why I love those oldschool Civics. :)

I'm figuring an inital offer of $3500 to $3700, but I'm willing to work with the person. If its as good as it sounds, and has all of the maintenance up to date (says that it was dealer-serviced, all records available --> 90K service, newer tires, etc) I'm willing to go the extra mile to get a nice car. A/C be damned, it doesn't get that hot here anyway.
^ The only that you have to worry about a Civic that old is, if the timing belt has been changed or a complete tune up. Take note Honda's back in the day, it doesn't have the 100,000 mi interval (I believe) scheduled tune ups like the more recent Honda. ;)

:dunce:
 
BAD NEWS

Well, good news first:

- I was pre-approved for a loan and was told I have exceptional credit, which means I get a HUGE discount on whatever kind of car I end up getting. They quoted me at 5.55% interest for two years on $4000. Kick ass!

- Insurance was dirt-cheap, like $80 cheap. Awesome.

====

Then I called the guy to look at the car... He sold it last night around 8PM, some kid buying the car sight-unseen in cash. Full price, $4300.

EFFFFF!

=================

So, we're back to the drawing board, again. I found a few EP hatches around here that were priced modestly well, so I may go that route. I'll update if I find anything new or "exciting" otherwise.
 
Back