YSSMAN's Infinite Crisis: Blackest Night (Post #816)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 828 comments
  • 52,188 views
Toms_Racing_850.jpg
Those wheels are fugly. If you're not paid to put a huge decal on any part of your car, you're a labelwhore.
 
You know, I was scratching my head as to why you guys kept recommending FOUR LUG wheels on a FIVE LUG car...
:ouch:

In that case, let's harken back to Toyota's rally racing Celicas with a set of these...

oz_supertour_gt_ci3_l.jpg
 
Its JDM, you wouldn't understand.
Brad's Celica has less than half the horsepower and half the drivetrain for those wheels to be appropriate.
And even then, they are pretty nasty design wise. Just because they are Tom's doesn't mean that there aren't a whole bunch of different wheels also from Tom's that wouldn't fit much better.
 
What? Are you joking? Who cares where they are from, as long as they look good.
What about if you aren't building a show car? I got my wheels because they are good wheels, and they grew on me eventually,


I love those wheels though, so awesome looking.

And by "jdm, you wouldn't understand" I'm referring to all the people who put stupid looking wheels and stuff on their cars because they're "jdm."


Like Mugen wheels, or a Mugen grill. I love Mugen, but their wheels suck.
 
You mean nobody is perfect? So... you ask people not to be "douchebags" then you go ahead and be one... BUT! WAIT! It's ok for you to be one... because nobody is perfect... right... so wouldn't that give other people equal rights to be a douchebag???


Anyways... I think Perfect Balance knows everything you just said... I've known him for a couple of years and hes pretty solid when it comes to wheels. Besides he is rocking Enkei's on his EK Civic... soooo he is officially JDMer then you ;)

Exactly ;) I'm kidding, by the way.
Everyone will be idiots in life one day or another. I was an idiot today.
He's JDMer than me, good for him. I don't care, I'm building my own thing, neither Japanese nor Euro :)

Jim Prowler
You know, I was scratching my head as to why you guys kept recommending FOUR LUG wheels on a FIVE LUG car...

I'm thinking about rocking Audi, Mercedes (bitchy fitment of 5x112 on most of them) or Porsche (5x130) on my car next year. Adaptors 👍

Perfect Balance
And by "jdm, you wouldn't understand" I'm referring to all the people who put stupid looking wheels and stuff on their cars because they're "jdm."


Like Mugen wheels, or a Mugen grill. I love Mugen, but their wheels suck.

I'm glad irony was hidden in there. Like those "antenna lights" on their front bumpers. They're Japanese but they don't look good. Mugen wheels have destroyed some nice Hondas over the years.
 
Crisis1.png


That's where the name came from. Sorry, I'm a comic-book nerd.

Hey, no need to apologise. I was just making a funny observation.:sly:

:ouch:

In that case, let's harken back to Toyota's rally racing Celicas with a set of these...

oz_supertour_gt_ci3_l.jpg

Now they would look great on a Celica.
 
Well? How about some pics?

Coming soon!

I ended up driving her around a lot today, so between that and work, I didn't have any time to take pictures.

That, and I need to fix the radio. I'm not sure if its the fuse now, because the cigarette lighter works. I'll have to double-check it. My guess is that it had an aftermarket stereo in there and they put the stock one back in before she sold it. Someone didn't hook it up correctly...
 
That, and I need to fix the radio. I'm not sure if its the fuse now, because the cigarette lighter works. I'll have to double-check it. My guess is that it had an aftermarket stereo in there and they put the stock one back in before she sold it. Someone didn't hook it up correctly...

ugh. electrical faults. Well, good luck chasing that one down.
 
Congrats on the Celica!

Wasn't your Jetta white as well?


M
 
I'm buying it!!!

2954577_1.jpg


My brother has to get home so I can grab the car and go, but otherwise, shes mine. Photos and such coming probably later tonight or early tomorrow! Huzzah!



Brad's bought a Toyota?


NO KIDDING?!


Anyway, Brad, congrats on the Celica, is that an SS-II or what are they named? Anyway, lovely car, may you have a lot of fun with it 👍

Any plans with it?


I'd say to get a nice pair of rims, with a nice exhaust tip if your wallet still allows you ;)👍


If you need some inspiration:

Dsc03597.jpg


1093_a.jpg


asp_celica_rear.jpg



I couldn't resist the old-school awesomeness :p

image.php

​
 
Wasn't your Jetta white as well?

The Jetta was silver, the Fox was purple. So white is definitely a change. Still, I've put nearly 100 miles on it in the past two days, still looking very clean despite going down two dirt roads. Something that I'm not going to do again...

Bram Turismo
Anyway, Brad, congrats on the Celica, is that an SS-II or what are they named?

I think the SS-II had the 1.8L 1ZZ-FED, right? Mine has the big 2.2L 5S-FE from the Camry, which ends up about 10 BHP shy in the end. Either way, 130 BHP seems to be pretty good with the shorter gears, but it by no means is "fast" compared to other cars out there.

Any plans with it?

Not really. I'm thinking keep it completely stock as I like the look right now. At most it would be a new CD player with iPod controls, and maybe later on down the road I'll go to some aftermarket wheels... But generally, nothing will be added to it. I like it how it is right now.
 
Get white wheels. Nobody has enough balls (or willingness to constantly clean) to pull off white wheels on a white car. I am certain it would look badass. That generation Celica is very bold and rarer here, so I definitely watch them roll by when I happen to see one. Congrats.

FYI, I was at the super special stage of canadian rally on friday, and a guy in the parking exposè had an imported Celica GT-Four RC with stock everything on it, and it was white with the GT-Four lettering/stripe or whatever on it and had white BBS wheels that he said were factory stock. It looked just too awesome. His rally car was a 1st gen Eagle Talon TSi AWD.
 
Those fit like crap, theres another 2 inches of space that could be filled with a lower offset or wider wheels.


A set of wheels that simply fits good makes a huge difference.

Interesting, what kind of effect does different offset have?
 
Interesting, what kind of effect does different offset have?
This is a car with a perfect offset. Notice how perfectly the wheels fit?

l_143c96194269a686b88fc1a84ee6e546.jpg


This is not such a great offset. These are just stock wheels, but it shows you what I mean. Notice how the wheels are way inside the body?


That's kind of what the Scion wheels look like on the Celica, just not as bad.

In simple terms a lower offset makes the wheels stick out more.
 
A different offset could push the wheels out to the corners, filling up that extra space. You can actually do that with wheel spacers and longer lugs, actually.

EDIT: Ouch, got tree'd.

Let me just add:

It may look perfect if the wheels fill up the well completely, but it's a pain in the butt to have your tires rub on the fenders at full compression. My wheels have an aggressive offset, and they rub on the racetrack or over heaves when I've got a full load in the back.

But there are practical uses, too. using split-size rims, with the drive wheels having a more aggressive offset can aid in handling... by giving a wider rear track (on RWD) for more stability or a wider front track (on FWD) for more rotation. Of course, with FWD or AWD, you don't use split size rims, you just achieve a wider track by using spacers.
 
This is a car with a perfect offset. Notice how perfectly the wheels fit?

l_143c96194269a686b88fc1a84ee6e546.jpg


This is not such a great offset. These are just stock wheels, but it shows you what I mean. Notice how the wheels are way inside the body?


That's kind of what the Scion wheels look like on the Celica, just not as bad.

In simple terms a lower offset makes the wheels stick out more.

I've always looked at that kind of issue regarding wheels, but never knew what it was called. Thanks for clearing that up.👍
 
You need three things in life, poke, stretch and camber.
 
Ah, yes, It's so easy to spend another man's money, isn't it?
 
Uhh Offset isn't really only about looks. Suspension dynamics drastically change when the wheel is further out, regardless of looks (nevermind some larger offsets not even fitting in the well properly).
 
Uhh Offset isn't really only about looks. Suspension dynamics drastically change when the wheel is further out, regardless of looks (nevermind some larger offsets not even fitting in the well properly).
Far-out offsets also stress the wheel bearings and various components. It's best to stick with an offset recommended by somebody who knows who they're talking about. The tC probably has the same sort of measurements as the old Celica which probably has the same as the new Celica and you know all that jive.
 
Well, I'm finally around to doing pictures:

I've got a full photostream up on Flickr, but I'll add a few of my favorites here...

2526775724_da99501b91_b.jpg


2526774110_17585b8f55_b.jpg


2526778268_f56bc35cb0_b.jpg


2525959121_f6066456c4_b.jpg


2525964527_27ddf4164c_b.jpg


=================

After living with the car for about four days and putting right around 120 miles on her, some other things I've begun to realize:

- I really like the car a lot, even if it is extremely awkward driving a Toyota. It just doesn't feel like one, that's what seems to be making a difference. A lot of the switchgear reminds me of my Grandfather's Prelude, but the main thing is, its a lot easier to get in/out of the Toyota compared to the Honda.

- The shift action is pretty good, but I'm still getting used to the short gears overall. Its weird, I've had such tall ratios for so long, I'm way too used to having things wind-out before shifting. Now I feel like I'm going twice as fast to keep the car below 4,000 RPM.

- Speaking of 4,000 RPM... I didn't realize it was going to pull that at 80 MPH. Its not the best highway car, it worries me that its turning that much (red line is just after 6,000 RPM), but I can adjust I suppose.

- It sucks not having a radio (at the moment). I've been using the iPod, which keeps me sane, but I need some Fresh Air with Terri Gross once in a while. Working on it... It doesn't seem like its a fuse, my guess is that it was put back in improperly, which is why it isn't working. I may just replace the unit altogether and knock out two birds with one stone.

- While I'm thinking of it... I love the seats. They're some of the most-comfortable seats I've been in, not tiring whatsoever. They grip well, and that's awesome as well.

- One minor complaint: Its not a very good "city car." I drove through East Grand Rapids the other night and I felt like I was walking on stilts trying not to hit holes and man hole covers. I'll get used to it, its only 8 miles of city road from home to school... And that won't pick up until August. Otherwise its country highway to work or to Dad's, and that's just fine.
 
Looks good. About the 4k at 80mph thing, you will get used to it. My Current Prelude, and my old Si both turn 4k @ 80mph and both of them got, or get 27mpg highway. I dont know how to explain it but thats how it is.
 
Looks good. About the 4k at 80mph thing, you will get used to it. My Current Prelude, and my old Si both turn 4k @ 80mph and both of them got, or get 27mpg highway. I dont know how to explain it but thats how it is.
The engine is working very efficiently at those rpms.


Lower rpms don't always mean more mpg.
 
That car seems to be in very good shape for being 10 years old. Good find.

4,000 RPMs? I don't think it would be too much work for the engine, especially since you aren't pushing it that hard. And 80 MPH probably isn't all that much higher than what the car was designed to cruise at in the first place.
 
4,000 at 80... Seems familiar to me.

I think I pull a bit faster than 80, but it's damn close.
While the engine can and will handle it, one thing to keep in mind is that your oil filter will often bypass when put under that kind of pressure.

So you're quite possibly getting unfiltered oil for the duration of your highway run - Especially if your oil and filter are dirty.
 
Yeah, its what I figured... Kinda. I've just never seen it that high before. The Camry sits somewhere around 3500-3700 at that speed, same engine as well. The Jetta was right around 3750. But hey, if its designed to run like that, then I won't worry.
 
Back