YuGiOh! TCG Trading/Collectors thread

• Thread starter Guardian
  • 356 comments

You can also Tribute Continuous Spell/Trap Cards to Tribute Summon (but not Set) this card. Unaffected by effects of cards of the same type (Monster, Spell, or Trap) Tributed for its Tribute Summon. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if this card was Tribute Summoned: You can banish 1 Continuous Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard, then target 1 other card on the field; destroy it.

I hope I never make contact with the person responsible for this card.

You can also Tribute Continuous Spell/Trap Cards to Tribute Summon (but not Set) this card. Unaffected by effects of cards of the same type (Monster, Spell, or Trap) Tributed for its Tribute Summon. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if this card was Tribute Summoned: You can banish 1 Continuous Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard, then target 1 other card on the field; destroy it.

I hope I never make contact with the person responsible for this card.

The Draco Knight/King cards ftw

This is the card I'm so hyped up about once Maximum Crisis comes around in 1 month, I really love Dinomists and the fact that they're given this card is AMAZING!!!

latest

When this card is activated: You can place up to 2 "Dinomist" Pendulum Monsters from your Deck in your Pendulum Zones, and if you do, you cannot Pendulum Summon monsters until the end of the next turn, except "Dinomist" monsters (even if this card leaves the field). Once per turn, if this card is already face-up: You can Tribute 1 "Dinomist" monster, then target 1 card your opponent controls; return it to the hand.

It gives Dinomists a complete Pendulum Scale right off the the bat with effects that protect this card from being targeted or destroyed and it disrupts your opponents play on every card just to Pendulum Summon the tributed card back afterwards.'

It sounds a lot like these 2 cards that are banned in both the OCG and TCG and Dinomist get to run both in 1 card AT 3!!!

1091478.jpg

latest

I've been thinking about developing a TCG myself as table top game design is a hobby I've had for years. Anyone have any advice on what works and what doesn't? I was thinking of making a 6SD element to it for a bit of a luck element but to be honest haven't got much further than a concept in my mind.

The last card game I designed is going to be produced soon and I'm looking to do something a bit more involved as a project.

Tips from those who know the scene would be great.

I've been thinking about developing a TCG myself as table top game design is a hobby I've had for years. Anyone have any advice on what works and what doesn't? I was thinking of making a 6SD element to it for a bit of a luck element but to be honest haven't got much further than a concept in my mind.

The last card game I designed is going to be produced soon and I'm looking to do something a bit more involved as a project.

So I'm not the only one. I would give you tips but I too have long had ideas for a game like this. It may help to clue us in on exactly what you're looking for, or what you want out of the game. Are you looking for what games are most in depth, most played, most difficult?

• I've been thinking about developing a TCG myself as table top game design is a hobby I've had for years. Anyone have any advice on what works and what doesn't? I was thinking of making a 6SD element to it for a bit of a luck element but to be honest haven't got much further than a concept in my mind.

I always wanted to do this myself, as I think making these things while difficult sound really fun, did a little side project at school with pieces of small paper and a pen called Monster Warfare which was combining typical Monster battles wiith Siege-type games where the goal would be to get your monsters opponents area while defending yours. If a monster stays in your opponents area for long enough (never thought of how many turns it would be :P), you took over your opponents area and win.

Anyway: From what I got from Yugioh, Vanguard and Buddyfight the 3 I keep most contact with, here are sme things:

• Think about the type of decks available, this is important because games like Yugioh, while have archetypes that support each other, there is almost 0 restriction of generic cards and combination of archetypes you do leading to things like Metalfoes with Yang Zing, Windwitches with Artifacts and Zoodiacs with pretty much anything. Vanguard and Buddyfight both have rules that restrict you on the creativity for the sake of it being easier to make balance, Vanguard rules on clans make multi-clan decks unplayable nowadays while Buddyfight require your deck to have a "Flag" which has rules on what cards you can use. Vanguard and Buddyfight do have archetypes in each Clan/Flag but you can't play Dragon World and Dungeon World in the same deck.
  • You need something meta defying in each set, this might sound like it breaks the game but from I learned from Yugioh, if it wasn't for Toadally Awesome or Dimensional Barrier, NO ONE would buy Invasion: Vengeance. You need it to make money and also while you can make some low raritys like Yugiog can do from time to time, don't be afraid to make some of the good ones hight rarity for some extra cash.
  • Don't purposely short print cards despite their rarity, Yugioh does this with their special sets, it just doesn't work. Once people find out a card is short printed, they just give up.
  • Ban list dates, every game needs a ban list when a card gets out of control, make sure you have dates of when the ban list will update. The OCG Yugioh do this but TCG Yugioh stopped.
  • Continue to support old cards DON'T rely on retrains. Powercreep is inevitable, you can contain but a good way to prevent people from think their cards are worthless now is to keep printing support for those old cards, Yugioh does this regularly, they're even giving B.E.S support which they never got in 14 years. Buddyfight is terrible at this, it relies on retrains way too much, retrains is when you make a new version of a card that's better and can compete, Yugioh do, do this but rarely, but Buddyfight is obsessed with this, this is powercreep at its worse, whats the point in getting a card you love when a better version is just 3 sets away.
That's the best I can do.

It may help to clue us in on exactly what you're looking for, or what you want out of the game. Are you looking for what games are most in depth, most played, most difficult?

I had a look online and found that what I had in mind is very similar, genre wise, to something already on the market.

I find that many of these games are quite hard to get into and feature in depth mechanics that require lots of knowledge and experience. I was hoping to create something which was more intuitive and could be jumpe straight into by anyone, even if they'd never played before.

I think for now I'll stick to my Jungle Cards and work on expanding that game.

Thanks to you, and @RESHIRAM5 for the input.

I had a look online and found that what I had in mind is very similar, genre wise, to something already on the market.

I find that many of these games are quite hard to get into and feature in depth mechanics that require lots of knowledge and experience. I was hoping to create something which was more intuitive and could be jumpe straight into by anyone, even if they'd never played before.

I think for now I'll stick to my Jungle Cards and work on expanding that game.

Thanks to you, and @RESHIRAM5 for the input.

Yeah if you want intuitive you have to build a game with simple rock, paper, scissor mechanics that could then be further exploited with interesting tactics and strategies so it doesn't grow stale super fast.

That is essentially my current project only with 4 elements rather than 3, in basic card game form.

I wasn't saying have 3 elements, four, five even works just fine, as long as the idea is like that rock, paper, scissors and where one element beats the other and then the other beats that one and so on in a cycle. This then works off the support or utility cards and then you have a win condition and that's that. As long as you can do that, expand on it, perhaps introduce a new element that isn't unbalanced and keeps game expanding.

I feel that is the most important thing is that the game is hard to set off balance, the moment it goes off balance and you have this power creep is when the game begins to fail. Though in the case of games like yugioh or even hearthstone it could be said who cares, cause the cards still sell and the games still keep players playing even if certain setups work better than others.

I heard a good way to prevent power creep while introducing powerful stuff is compremise. Have a new stuff that does have a slight advantage over the old stuff BUT also have some of the new stuff beat the other new stuff BUT have a disadvantage over the old stuff.

I wasn't saying have 3 elements, four, five even works just fine, as long as the idea is like that rock, paper, scissors and where one element beats the other and then the other beats that one and so on in a cycle.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The game I have now, fully developed for the last few months has 4 elements and works like rock, paper, scissors. I'm taking it to print some demo cards soon so I can use my students as a test bed.

If you're interested I could send you the details and you could have a play yourself if you'd like.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The game I have now, fully developed for the last few months has 4 elements and works like rock, paper, scissors. I'm taking it to print some demo cards soon so I can use my students as a test bed.

If you're interested I could send you the details and you could have a play yourself if you'd like.

Yeah that'd be great, I would be able to try it late next month after school is done.

I heard a good way to prevent power creep while introducing powerful stuff is compremise. Have a new stuff that does have a slight advantage over the old stuff BUT also have some of the new stuff beat the other new stuff BUT have a disadvantage over the old stuff.

Yeah, typically speaking what I've seen work is something similar to this, where you introduce new stuff with the knowledge that since the game has advanced from the original, the new stuff will be stronger. So you bring in new stuff to keep the original just as strong. For example you introduce a new character or expansion set, but to make sure the original doesn't fall off too much you put cards in the new expansion that exclusively mesh with the old stuff.

Thus players get new cars to test and try around with, and also have the chance to update old decks with some new utility or support/weapons cards or characters.

Last edited:
Yeah that'd be great, I would be able to try it late next month after school is done.

OK, it's still in digital phase and sending cards half way around the globe for a test play seems counter productive but I'll happily send you the profiles and game play index if you and to PM me your email address. I can't think of any other way to do it and even if you don't feel like printing (it's only 4 cards, BTW) you could make them very easily with playing cards (the reverse of the cards must be indistinguishable from each other for the game to work) and a marker. Rules have been thought out and explained, it'd be cool to get some feed back on how it plays.

This week is the sneak peak for the next set and the final main set of the Pendulum era:

I must say it does go out with a bang, Ash Blossom is the most ridiculous card to come out in this set where its essentially your main game starter instantly gets killed off:

upload_2017-4-25_17-6-10.jpeg

Also introduces True Dracos like that OP monster I showed before, the main gimmick is ordinary Tribute Summons BUT not just any Tribute Summons, you can use Spells and Traps for their Tribute Summons. 90% of them are actually Ultra Rare and Secret Rare so don't expect to make them unless you're rich.

They also brought out this cancer:

True Kings specialize on Special Summoning by destroying cards in your hand, the fact that you also use your opponents monsters AND choose what Attribute they'll be is absolute stupid and it's only a measily Super Rare.

So yeah, before the major game changing of Links, looks like Konami is going to see how broken this game can get :lol:

Well looks like Konami broke the game too much, we're getting an emergency banlist update that will be effective in June.

This was likely due to Zoodiacs taking ALL Final 32 spots in YCS Pittsburgh.

Elder Entity Norden - Was Limitied - A Fusion monster that instantly brought back a monster from the graveyard which was used for Xyz plays, this card was key in a Zoodiac Lunalight combo that allowed you to draw over 5 cards in your first turn (sometime without using your Normal Summon). This had to go when the ban list was previously updated

Speedroid Terrortop - Was Unlimited - This card was designed to be a main player of a Synchro deck BUT it ended up being used for Rank 3 Xyz plays without using your normal summon which ended up summoning cards like M-X-Saber Invoker which started the Zoodiac combo

That Grass Looks Greener - Was Unlimited - I find this choice weird, sure its super powerful allowing to mill almost 20 cards from your deck at times BUT it has nothing to do with Zoodiacs and was more used for 60 card decks, especially Infernoids. Another mind boggling thing about this choice is that it was a money card from Raging Tempest which is a fairly new set, surprised Konami doesn't want anymore money from it so soon

Pendulum Call - Was Limited - Searches 2 Pendulum Magician monsters, this is clearly to push sales for Pendulum Evolution which comes out next month

Wisdom-Eye Magician - Was Semi-Limited - Blew himself up for a Pendulum Scale, again to sell Pendulum Evolution

Performapal Skull-Crobat Joker - Was Semi-Limited - Add Odd-Eyes, Pendulum Magicians AND Performapals from the deck to the hand upon Normal Summon, once again this was likely done to push sales for Pendulum Evolution.

We have had Fusion Enforcers 2 months ago focusing on Fusions, in the past we have has Wing Raiders last year focusing on Xyz and High Speed Riders a few months before Wing Raiders focusing on Synchros. Now for the 2nd last set of the ARC-V, Pendulums take the stage which fits because of how close Link format is.
Yu-gi-oh-Pendulum-Evolution-Booster.jpg

• This one is different to the other 3 sets as this was actually a structure deck in the OCG, however due to the delay of the D/D/D structure which caused a massive spiral in Konami's TCG structure deck schedule, this became a Special Booster set for us containing all the new cards from the Structure and more. Because of this, there are only 10 new cards in this set and the other 50 are reprints.
  • Despite this, this follows the same pattern like Fusion Enforcers and focuses on 3 Pendulum Archetypes. Magicians, Odd-Eyes and Zefra. Odd-Eyes and Magician can be played in the same deck so extra benefit if you want to make a Pendulum deck.
  • Also like Fusion Enforcers it also contains generic Pendulum support, however this set also contain Unwavering Bond which is actually anti-Pendulum support.
  • However unlike Fusion Enforcers where each pack was 1 Secret, 4 Supers. Here it is 2 Ultras and 3 Supers. All the new cards are Ultra Rare so this good for those who want the new cards.
  • Also unlike Fusion Enforcers it also contains rarity bumps of a few previously common Metalfoes cards, another Pendulum Archetype but it isn't heavily featured in this set.
  • None of the cards in this set are short printed, you can get all the Ultra Rares in 1 box alone at 3 or more.
However this set isn't all that great, both Magician and Zefra are missing their boss monsters (Supreme King Z-ARC and Zefraath) as they are actually in another set, Maximum Crisis meaning it's impossible to complete 2 decks with this set unlike the other boxes.

For anyone who wants to try Pendulums, give this set a shot and don;t worry about Link format some of the support in this set allows them to still function well in the future format due to several cards here having a heft focus on Extra Deck retrieval which is what Pendulums need to survive Links.

Doomsday is upon us, the new rules begin today with the new Starter deck Link Strike.

Here is the run-down of the new rules:

After this in 2 weeks we have the next booster set. first of the era Code of the Duelist which comes with that Dark World support @Obelisk is excited for (rarity of Dark World Brainwashing is still unknown but all the Secret Rares and Ultra Rares have been revealed so at most, it'll be a Super Rare)

Next Week, these babies come out:

latest

Kinda disappointed it is Yugi and Kaiba again for this years Mega Tins as I wanted Clear Wing Synchro Dragon and Starving Venom Fusion Dragon (to complete the tins of the Dimension Dragons). However what's inside these Tins is pretty great and fits way more than last years.

• The Yugi tins comes with a Secret Rare Dark Magician, Pot of Desires (basically the unbanned Pot of Greed), Proxy Dragon (generic Link 2 monster which is pretty good actually), Dreamland (Field Spell with effects depending on if the monster on the field is a Fusion, Synchro or Xyz, Rebarian Shark (basically a Rank-Up Magic searcher) and a Token based on the cover.
  • The Kaiba tins come with a Secret Rare Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Pot of Desires, Proxy Dragon, Elder Entity N'tss (eh, almost impossible to summon due to the new rules), Sanaphond the Sky Prison and a Token based on the cover.
  • Contains 3 Mega Packs featuring cards from Shining Victories, The Dark Illusion, Invasion: Vengeance and Raging Tempest. This year is interesting since Shining Victories featured Blue-Eyes support while The Dark Illusion featured Dark Magician support. Which is great if you want to build either decks.
Like last years not all cards will appear in the tins these cards appear to be left out from early pulls (granted this might change since not all the pulls have happened yet):

• Windwitches (this is interesting since Ice Bell is in high demand right now)
  • Chemicritters (these were pretty bad, so I guess there was not point)
  • Shinobirds (same point as Chemicritters)
  • SPYRALs (their getting support that makes them meta in Circuit Break, so I don't get it)
  • Subterror (same with SPYRAL though the support doesn't make them meta)
  • That Grass Looks Greener (probably because it is limited)
  • Kozmo (they weren't in last years Mega Tins so this wasn't a surprise)

I'm a fan of the original series but even I have to admit that they're going overboard with Yugi and Kaiba. The Dreamworld (?) promo card is pretty cool.

I'm a fan of the original series but even I have to admit that they're going overboard with Yugi and Kaiba. The Dreamworld (?) promo card is pretty cool.
The fun thing about Dreamworld IMO is the rulings on it, since it checks for a Synchro monster after a Synchro is placed on the field, you don't need to control an already existing Synchro monster to get its effect, while the Fusion can actually apply the moment the Fusion spell you just used is sent to the GY (this is the new Graveyard text btw) since spells and traps stay on the field when they're resolving unles they're hit by something like Mystical Space Typhoon.

Also all the Secret Rares in the Mega Packs are revealed, the only Blue-Eyes stuff that aren't in it were either in last years Mega Tins or already reprinted in Battles of Legend: Lights Revenge. All the Dark Magician stuff appears to be in except Ebon High Magician.

Also remember the promos will be in Series 10 foil. That means even the attribute, levels and type of spell/trap will be in foil as well, it looks real nice :P

Last edited:
I got my 4 tins that I pre-ordered (4 because there was a special pre-order sale at my store). Here are my high rarty pulls:

Secret Rares:

2 x Foolish Burial Goods
2 x Dark Magical Circle
2 x Magician Navigation
1 x Zoodiac Drident
1 x Toadally Awesome
1 x Zoodiac Broadbull
1 x Ghost Reaper and Winter Cherries
1 x Sea Monster of Theseus
1 x Starving Venom Fusion Dragon

Ultra Rares:

4 x Master Peace the True Dracoslayer
3 x Dragon Spirit of White
2 x True King Bahrastos, the Fathomer
2 x Zoodiac Thoroughblade
1 x Zoodiac Tigermotor

I'm happy with most of them though kinda disappointed I got so many samey Ultra Rares (especially Master Peace and Bahrastos). I am happy with a playset of Dragon Spirit of White though.

To all those who hate Pendulums (including @1241Penguin ), Konami is not sorry (even in Link format):

Odd-Eyes-Arc-Pendulum-Dragon.jpg

A generic Scale 8 that is searchable by almost everything (Sky Iris, Summoner's Art, Duelist Alliance and Spiral Flame Strike (that's a total of 12 cards you can have in a deck that can search this)), can not only revive a dead Odd-Eyes boss monster (or even just one you killed forcing you to kill it twice) but also can bring out any Odd-Eyes from the deck, also to annoy all old school fans, has stronger stats than both Red-Eyes and Dark Magician.

This is coming out in the TCG exclusive set Legendary Dragon Decks (which comes out next week), Dark Magician (based off the Legendary Dragons saga) and Cyber Dragons are also apart of this with their own TCG exclusive monster.

I really like this one, helps the deck massively especially with cards like Dark Magical Circle, the only real issue is that the Eye of Timeus card isn't searchable.

This card along with no TCG exclusive cards that help promote Links as well as banlist changes to help older decks makes me think Konami in the TCG unlike the OCG actually hates Links and is actually trying to counter any good Link deck the OCG tries pouring out.

So, I'm not excited for what's gonna happen to this game in a month.

We are celebrating a Zoodiac free world for once this year thanks to the new banlist update but next month SPYRALs get SPYRAL Double Helix.

and well.. this is what Double Helix is doing to the OCG:
3xxJKeox4WbHf0QOBF4_rdQ_FgNFaQlde9xaeM3snhg.jpg

Not even Zoodiacs have reached that far in tops.

@Obelisk a new Trap Card has been revealed and a lot of comments are about it being really useful for Dark Worlds despite being an Archfiend card.

Since you're the GTP expert of Dark Worlds, can you inform me on how this helps the deck? I seem to have no idea :lol:

https://ygorganization.com/morelikecallofthedarkworld/
Free discard for a special summon of Grapha, Sillva, Goldd, etc.

Although I'm not sure if the discard is a cost (DW effects do not trigger if uses as a cost).

From how PTSC is written nowadays, the targeting is the cost, discard and special summon are both effects.

the targeting is the cost, discard and special summon are both effects.
Yep, so you get a free discard to special summon a beatstick plus whatever effect you discarded.

Not to mention that Grapha can already SS itself...

Back