Zero Punctuation Game Reviews

• Thread starter icelt
  • 215 comments

Should I keep adding links to post #1?

• Total voters
Aw-ite, so far it's unanimous to keep adding links in the 1st post. So I'm more than happy to keep it up to date.... per my usual late Wed afternoon/early evening schedule ;)

Anyone else find his Bloodshot review actually more informative than usual? Still very entertaining, but I'm guessing since he had such high expectations thanks to the first game this time he was a little more focused on the content and less so on finding hooks for humorous and obscure metaphors.

Aw-ite, so far it's unanimous to keep adding links in the 1st post. So I'm more than happy to keep it up to date.... per my usual late Wed afternoon/early evening schedule ;)

Anyone else find his Bloodshot review actually more informative than usual? Still very entertaining, but I'm guessing since he had such high expectations thanks to the first game this time he was a little more focused on the content and less so on finding hooks for humorous and obscure metaphors.

I thought this was one of his best reviews so far. Right up there with his Bioshock and Assasins Creed reviews. Yet, as you said, he did seem to focus more on this review, probably because he really wanted to like the game from the outset.

Too bad we have to wait a week between 5 minute episodes. They happen so fast, it's almost a tease.

;)

He doesn't much like any fanboys, and then you add his usual hatred for multi-player in and you are setup for fail. In his eyes anyhow.
Thing is, I still havent played it multiplayer. Too much hassle of trading friend codes. It never fails with the Wii, I get one code but then one of us forgets the other code, or just one of us keeps forgetting until we forget altogether.

But having played through the entire story mode and many of the challenges I have a feeling that if a friend were to just get the game I would be just like Yahtzee said, that guy.

Well, I'm with Ben.

I can't stand most fighting games (well, all of them really), because there is no story (or a really lame tacked on mess of a story). You have to spend hours practicing silly combos that may still be useless when your 8 year old nephew comes over and uses his fists to smash random buttons. Not to mention, there is absolutely no replay value, unless you want to play with others at a party/get together. In which case, I would rather play something like PAIN/Worms/anything else on the @#%* planet. Ehhh, I just never understood the whole fighting game thing, and Smash Brothers has always seemed to me to be a half-assed fighting game puked onto a static platforming level, with cutesy annoying characters. Not my cup of tea. Then again, I don't think that 28 year old sim racing/RPG fans are exactly their core demographic. So I shouldn't be surprised.

Great review. Very funny.

;)

Well, I'm with Ben.

I can't stand most fighting games (well, all of them really), because there is no story (or a really lame tacked on mess of a story). You have to spend hours practicing silly combos that may still be useless when your 8 year old nephew comes over and uses his fists to smash random buttons. Not to mention, there is absolutely no replay value, unless you want to play with others at a party/get together. In which case, I would rather play something like PAIN/Worms/anything else on the @#%* planet. Ehhh, I just never understood the whole fighting game thing, and Smash Brothers has always seemed to me to be a half-assed fighting game puked onto a static platforming level, with cutesy annoying characters. Not my cup of tea. Then again, I don't think that 28 year old sim racing/RPG fans are exactly their core demographic. So I shouldn't be surprised.

Great review. Very funny.
Actually SSBB had a fairly decent story mode. It reminded me of Kingdom Hearts, Nintendo-style, minus the power ups.

Quite possibly because it was a blatant rip-off of Kingdom Hearts.

Actually SSBB had a fairly decent story mode. It reminded me of Kingdom Hearts, Nintendo-style, minus the power ups.

Quite possibly because it was a blatant rip-off of Kingdom Hearts.

I hated the story in Kingdom Hearts. Very bland, very simple, very childish, no depth. Granted it was for kids, but that kind of story is definitely not going to draw me into a SSBB game.

;)

<attempts to ignore all related discussion so as to not ruin viewing enjoyment> ;)

SSBB link added to first post.

EDIT----

YES! That is the way I like my Yahtzee; angry, bitter, foul mouthed and completely brilliant. :D

This man is bloody brilliant. Each week I look forward to a new episode. I find his quick witted humor hilarious and refreshing. I'll admit, it was nice to find a seemingly intelligent, funny man reciting his reviews particularly fast (I get used to keeping up with him every time.) and with exceptional vocabulary.

Rock on, Zero.

Yahtzee's off his game. He mentioned God of War and didn't go on his regular rant about Quicktime events.

I mean this is the guy who first showed his face to the world in order to talk directly with his audience about how inane Quicktime events are. Now he reviews a game from a series that basically made these things common acceptable practice and doesn't even mention them.

Yahtzee's off his game. He mentioned God of War and didn't go on his regular rant about Quicktime events.

I mean this is the guy who first showed his face to the world in order to talk directly with his audience about how inane Quicktime events are. Now he reviews a game from a series that basically made these things common acceptable practice and doesn't even mention them.

I was wondering about that myself.

This was definitely not one of his best reviews. They never seem to be very good when he actually likes the game (besides Assasins Creed, and Bioshock). Too bad, because there seemed to be plenty of comedic ammo. Quick time events, bald white painted freak that has a thing for killing everyone, etc...

Maybe ol' Yahtzee just had a bad day, and it spilled into his work.

;)

I have to admit I don't primarily enjoy his reviews for the gameplay critique, just to be entertained. Kinda like the Daily Show.

I didn't think anyone actualy takes his reviews seriously, including Ben Croshaw. :)

Very entertaining though, especially for those who appreciate a little tongue-in-cheek humor mixed in with a serious dose of british wit! 👍

Indeed. It&#8217;s rare that I have an interest in the game being reviewed, I just watch them because he has a great sense of humour and the delivery is quite fantastic.

I didn't think anyone actualy takes his reviews seriously, including Ben Croshaw. :)

Very entertaining though, especially for those who appreciate a little tongue-in-cheek humor mixed in with a serious dose of british wit! 👍
The thing is thought that if you have played the game he reviewed and you stop and think about it, he is generally right, but often we don't notice these things.

For example: Super Mario Galaxy, I realized he was dead-on about it's biggest issue being no Gamecube controller support, and after beating the game I had a sore wrist which he refers to as "wanker's cramp."

SSBB: I played through the singleplayer mission first and from then on realized that I was what he refers to as "that guy" when all my friends said, "You actually played all the way through that?"

And then in his Zack & Wiki review he went on a diatribe about some of the negative aspects of adventure games in general, all of which I then ran into playing Lost Via Domus.

While the nature of the reviews are far, far from serious his actual critical points that he touches on for a total of ten seconds are legitimate. Plus, it is good to see someone not say OMFG THIS GAME ROXZZZZZZ!!!!1111one!!!!111!1one!!!!!! whenever it has the word "Mario" in the title.

Wow someone was asleep at the wheel this week.

Sorry 'bout dat. Link is now posted.

Retorting to fan boy letters is easy pickings for him naturally but still entertaining enough.

I really liked this one, mainly because of the way he took the letters and corrected their grammar and punctuation (irony much?).

Honestly though, I wonder how many proper criticism he gets that voice their disagreement of his few actual points? Something tells me though that only the slightly less mature and overly fanboyish are likely to respond to such an overly tongue-in-cheek review of anything.

Thats because reviews are more fun when he is lambasting the game. A good and articulate review, sure not as funny as others but far more of an in depth review than normal.

Top notch I say 👍

Good fair review. He is dead on about the incessant need to micromanage your friends. Gets old pretty quick.

;)

Link is posted.

Edit----
Yeah that was a pretty dang good review. I genuinely think I have a feel for how the various game play mechanics work, not to mention the game's primary strengths and weaknesses. Funny and informative 👍

What's happend to the escapist website? the new reveiw should be out now but the entire website isn't working. I tried to access it through fully rambleomatic but the link also doesn;t work. Rather unussal

Back