Zero Punctuation Game Reviews

• Thread starter icelt
  • 215 comments

Should I keep adding links to post #1?

• Total voters
Oh, heh, sorry. I figured everyone would notice it right under the video player. :dunce:

The Eternal Sonata episode is truly sick..."No questions, mummy's drunk." :lol:

I like how one sided the poll is.

Yeah actually up until about Dec of last year the poll had always been 100% in favor. I always got a kick out of that, but figured it was just a matter of time before someone decided to genuinely disagree, or more likely maybe, be the fly in the ointment. Oh well, it was still cool while it lasted ;)

Oh, very interesting. And as much as I like LBP, I have to agree with about the user content, in a lot of cases anyhow.

I like how when he attempted to complement it he couldn't think of anything to say.

I get a feeling that he recognizes it for the technical achievement it is, but doesn't actually like the game on a personal level. It seems as if he played through the story mode and got stuck trying to find good user created content.

The review seems based on the pre-fix search and moderation system, which is fair as you shouldn't review games based on updates, but what comes out of the box, which was admittedly very nearly broken on the online side.

I like his intermission.

Gosh I loved his rant about LBP. The bits about him building a house and steven fry were priceless. I think he actually likes the game but he's too afraid to admit it! :sly:

According to the review page: "This week, House of the Dead: Overkill versus Killzone 2. Place your bets."

All he would say about Killzone 2 is: Gears of World War II.

And now I would like to quote myself from the Killzone 2 thread over a month ago.

I'll be honest, at first I was thinking we were one Arrakis away from Dune. But then after we got past the backstory I realized I was wrong. It is WWII. The First Extrasolar War is WWI. Helghast is now struggling economically. Then a very motivational leader arises and takes dictatorial control and begins a massive invasion. The invasion can go no further and begins to struggle. Killzone 1 is the German march across Europe. Liberation works as an in-between to push the Helghast back to Helghan to allow a full-fledged invasion by the protagonists. I can clearly see D-Day in that opening video that can be found online.

Perhaps just reading it has me way off, but what I am seeing is not an original story, rather a reflection of real life told via space marines. I can't knock it though, as a similar way of telling a story worked well for Tolkien. I could just be reading massive war as seemingly like WWII.

All he would say about Killzone 2 is: Gears of World War II.

And now I would like to quote myself from the Killzone 2 thread over a month ago.

Yeah I remember that... now sharing some of the same mind with Yahtzee, don't know if that is comforting or disquieting ;)

I assume you caught his final little dig at KZ via the credits. Random unnecessary and likely pointless comparison, as the POTUS has "signing statements" to get in the last word on a piece of legislation Yahtzee has "credit statements" to accomplish the same in his reviews.

Yeah I remember that... now sharing some of the same mind with Yahtzee, don't know if that is comforting or disquieting ;)

:lol:

The day I ever find myself sharing even half the same mind as Yahtzee is the day I stop playing video games... as what on earth would be the point of even playing games if it would make me feel that bitter and angry. :indiff:

Heck, I am not even partially of the mind that Ben Croshaw actually agrees with most of what his alter ego says. :)

In fact, I am always shocked to see so many people appear to actually take his "reviews" seriously, and not as the clever shtick of entertainment that it is. :odd:

In fact, I am always shocked to see so many people appear to actually take his "reviews" seriously, and not as the clever shtick of entertainment that it is. :odd:
I'm rather surprised that you seem to view them with an "entertainment only" mindset. His Sonic Unleashed review, for example, has sharply divided the Sonic community; mostly because it made many go "Oh, that is what has been bothering me all these years." Granted, the Sonic community in particular is made up of hypocritical and largely unpleasable crazies, but that review in particular managed to cause a renaissance among those who couldn't quite place why Unleashed (and pretty much every game since Heroes) was awful.

He certainly exaggerates many things to the extreme in the name of comedy, but that doesn't mean many of his ideas/reasoning aren't true (or at the very least debatable).

I'm rather surprised that you seem to view them with an "entertainment only" mindset.

As I have said before, and what you seem to agree with is the "reviews" hit on various negative issues (and by far, most are already well known issues) with games... as you yourself said, they are exaggerated to the extreme for entertainment purposes... and yet many people appear to take the reviews and many if not all the exaggerations in them, seriously.

Frankly, this is a great case of why gross exaggerations can be very misleading... and not nearly an enlightening as some may think they are.

Regardless... they can be darn funny... although frankly, I guess I am getting rather tired by the ever growing popularity to be so bloody negative about things, especially when people grossly exaggerate the facts, or even make stuff up just to mess with people or draw attention to themselves, and to use the Internet to go on bloody rants... but there it is.

:lol:

The day I ever find myself sharing even half the same mind as Yahtzee is the day I stop playing video games... as what on earth would be the point of even playing games if it would make me feel that bitter and angry. :indiff:
I'm not bitter and angry about Killzone 2 having a WWII with space marines story. I just find it funny that something I saw, no one else even commented on, nor has any other site I have seen mentioned, is something that he noticed right away. The difference between my thoughts on it and Yahtzee's, as you can see in my full post I quoted, is that I recognize societal PC pressures often leave game designers little room to work with in terms of enemies. I believe the RE5 press has proven that.

I think his refusal to review KZ2 fully has more to do with the fact that every fanboy war title that comes out he will purposely avoid for as long as his bosses will allow him too. Now he can even say he has mentioned it. In the past he has had comments in his credits about how he will not review X game, no matter how many emails he gets. Honestly, while his shtick is negative exaggeration, I think he does not want to ever have to do a letters episode again, and if it were because of KZ2 he would sound a lot like the Sessler's Soapbox you posted with his response to the KZ2 review comments.

Heck, I am not even partially of the mind that Ben Croshaw actually agrees with most of what his alter ego says. :)

His shtick is entertainment, because it sells. But what he is doing is far from making stuff up, just more like a negareview. In a world where game reviewers will give games 9.5-10 scores way too often, even after they spent one paragraph of their review pointing out flaws (if it has flaws why is GTA4 a 10?) he creates a very stark contrast. And by not giving some arbitrary score you have to actually listen to his comments, thus making him seem much more harsh than others, when in reality he just left out the excessive praise.

If you ever read the negareviews Joystiq posts, which is where they combine all the negative comments regarding a game from multiple reviews, you will find that there are even more criticisms to be had of even 9.5-10 (er 95-100, see arbitrary) metacritic rated games than Yahtzee gives.

So, I think it is just that he does exaggerations of real negative aspects of games. I know that I saw his review of Super Mario Galaxy and he made a comment regarding "wanker's cramp" due to the lack of a traditional control option and an extremely large amount of waggle. I just giggled and went on. Then I beat the game and after the final boss fight my wrist was sore due to all the waggle.

Similarly, he commented on Guitar Hero requiring a mutated third hand or trained pet spider to play on hard or expert, while medium just required overcoming the use of an often underutilized pinky finger. In my case, on Rock Band's guitar I made the jump from easy to medium with little problem. But when I attempted hard the difficulty increase was much more than just a step up. Not only did it require mastering a fifth button with four fingers, but it also sped up. The extra button alone takes forever to get used to, but add in the speed and I'm still playing on medium.

Basically, his points are real (although I still don't know what the unlimited ammo gun he mentions in MGS4 is) but you cannot expect them to have the same degree of effect that he mentions. Heck, in some reviews he even mentions going back to play another game that he already called crap. Obviously it wasn't too bad.

And that as much longer than I intended it to be.

Last edited:
Hint: Before watching this week's ZP (about Halo Wars), watch the newest episode of Unskippable (about Star Ocean) otherwise the ZP might not make sense at the beginning.

And of course the new ZP is up. :P

Just in case anyone missed them, the reviews of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and Valkyria Chronicles are up.

Regarding his credits notes in Valkyria Chronicles: Yes, he should check out X-Com.

Just in case anyone missed them, the reviews of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and Valkyria Chronicles are up.

Yeah sorry I've been rather lax these past few weeks in keeping this thread updated. And X-Com was indeed a fantastic game... kinda surprised that Yahtzee suggests he hasn't played any in the series yet.

inFamous review is up and low and behold he actually really liked it, which is to say he only trashed it just a little bit.

Excellent! Never heard of this guy before, but his reviews are funny as hell! :lol:

Back