Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 199,974 views
Well the good news is that once the G8 production moves to North America, it will be built in Canada, not the US... So we really don't have to worry much about the UAW (I think). They are the same guys who are building the various W-Body cars right now (Impala/Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, LaCrosse/Century), and they are fairly well known for being screwed-together pretty well.

...On the idea of the V6 Camaro, I think I would have prefered the LY7 making it into production, however I'm content with the 3900. Under the hood of the previous G6 GTP, the car was decently fast, and I would expect it to do well in the Camaro, probably giving it more trust than in the Mustang (more BHP to boot!). A 300 BHP version of the Direct-Injection LY7 would be very interesting, kinda like a poor-man's BMW 335i coupe...

Now I'm crossing my fingers for a "basic" 5300-powered coupe, a Z/28 powered by the L76, and the SS with the help of the LS2. I doubt there will be three V8 models to choose from, more likely two, but a guy can dream...
 
More news on our Commodore...

LLN.com
There's no question Pontiac will unveil a new sedan at the Chicago Auto Show based on the new Holden Commodore. GM's product boss Bob Lutz has even confirmed it will be named G8. However, there have been conflicting reports over the car's styling.

According to a new report by trade publication Automotive News, the G8 will get front end styling similar to the popular Solstice roadster. The car will have unique styling from the A-pillar forward, the report said.

The report indicates the difference between the Commodore and G8 will be more dramatic than suggested by a popular illustration on the cover of Motor Trend's October issue.

Today's report also goes against a Detroit Free Press story that claimed the G8 would first get a Pontiac grille only, and later get unique styling when production is moved to Canada.

Lets look at the origional rumored design:

1aug24motortrendwi2.jpg


...Add a bit of Solstice...

pontiac20solstice20gxp2xg4.jpg


My guess is that it will be a very attractive car. The Chicago Auto Show starts in a few weeks, and I should be there on Saturday the 10th of February. I'll take plenty of pictures, yes indeed...
 
I'm very happy that the V-6 Camaro is going that "cheap" I'd Imagine that the next step up with the base V-8 would be about 27K? :confused:
 
If you figure they are going to chase after the Mustang, the presumed Z/28 should be ready to go out the door for no more than $28,000 fully-loaded by comparison to the Mustang GT. Presumably so then, the Camaro SS shouldn't go for too much over $30K, but it is hard to tell...
 
Big News!

G8 Summit; Rear-drive Pontiac Grand Prix replacement spied in Australia

By BOB GRITZINGER

AutoWeek | Published 01/16/07, 9:42 am et
General Motors will draw on its Australian Holden division for a new rear-wheel-drive sedan to replace the Pontiac Grand Prix. The Holden Commodore SS will be rebadged as the 2008 Pontiac G8 when it arrives in the U.S. late this year or early next year, according to published reports.

GM vice chairman Bob Lutz spilled the beans on plans for the car at the Detroit auto show and promised that more details will be forthcoming at the Chicago show in February.

“It’s such a logical thing to do,” Lutz said. “The volume range is 30,000 to 50,000. It depends on how we price it.” Reports indicate pricing will be around $25,000.

The latest Pontiac will draw on the Holden Commodore that went on sale in Australia in August 2006. The right-hand-drive model must be re-engineered for left-hand drive for the U.S. Spy shots reveal that work is well under way, along with new sheetmetal, to distinguish it from its Aussie cousin.

G8 will come with a choice of V6 or V8 engines, including a 6.0-liter 362-hp, 390-lb-ft V8 coupled to a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.

GM previously sold a rebadged Holden Monaro as the Pontiac GTO in the United States, and despite the car’s strong appeal to enthusiasts, sales of the 2004 to 2006 models did not meet expectations.

bilde

bilde


Awesome, looks like things are progressing. Add a few arrowhead badges here and there, and we've got ourselves a G8! Hooray!
 
Looks pretty tidy, even in the "hide in plain sight" paint scheme. I strongly considered an '05 GTO when I bought my car, but I just need to have 4 doors every day. A Commodore SS would be ideal.
 
"LEFT_HAND_DRIVE"

"ENGINEERING_EVALUATION_VEHICLE"

Love how they disguise it, then tell you exactly what it is.

But, yeah, I'm excited. I hope everyone goes "What happened to Toyota?" after this comes out.
 
I'm guessing people will also go "What happened to DCX and Ford?" as well. The LX platform is getting old, and Ford doesn't have the Mustang spin-offs ready. Either way, $25K for a decently-powered V6 model should be pretty nice, and I'm interested to see the final product just a few weeks away. Not that I'm in the market for a "new" car, but I've been looking into RWD sedans lately, and this would be up my alley a few years from now (until then, I'm looking at a CTS).
 
The LX has been getting a (fairly quiet) update, though, and I hope that's because Chrysler wants to be sneaky and unleash some suprise on the Zetas about a year after they come out. Ford's future plans are so convoluted that
I can't tell where they're going.

However, I have no mercy on the modern Toyota.
 
But, yeah, I'm excited. I hope everyone goes "What happened to Toyota?" after this comes out.


Well it is a nice platform but its not all that super duper, just an improvement over the last (mainly in electronics) if you disregard all the extra weight.

But as this is something the US motoring public have been waiting for, so I guess it will be extra special.
 
G8 will come with a choice of [1]V6 or V8 engines, including a [2]6.0-liter 362-hp, 390-lb-ft V8 coupled to a [3]six-speed manual or automatic transmission.

[1] Awsome a choice of engines is a great idea.
[2] LS2 in an affordable GM saloon car? Great! The fact that its only 362bhp is not however. Granted I'm asking for alot, but the fact that the 6.0L has been released as a 400bhp variant in 3 other GM cars why oh why did they reduce the power? Probably to reduce the people buying one of these instead of the CTS-V. The Commodore/G8 looks lightyears better than the CTS and or CTS-V.
[3] Awsome! A proper 6spd manual in another GM saloon car? Brilliant.

So, my pre-production approval rating is a whopping 99%. It loses the 1% because of the projected power reduction.
 
It's too bad Pontiac is being all gay and calling it the G8, but it still looks pretty good. Now sell a Chevy version, call it the Caprice and I'm game. Then make an Impala spin-off, à la 1994. And make a wagon, damnit!
 
[1] Awsome a choice of engines is a great idea.
[2] LS2 in an affordable GM saloon car? Great! The fact that its only 362bhp is not however. Granted I'm asking for alot, but the fact that the 6.0L has been released as a 400bhp variant in 3 other GM cars why oh why did they reduce the power? Probably to reduce the people buying one of these instead of the CTS-V. The Commodore/G8 looks lightyears better than the CTS and or CTS-V.
[3] Awsome! A proper 6spd manual in another GM saloon car? Brilliant.

So, my pre-production approval rating is a whopping 99%. It loses the 1% because of the projected power reduction.

Well, that 362 BHP 6.0L V8 is the same L76 V8 as seen in our Silverados and Suburbans, and is indeed the same V8 that powers the Holden Monaro SS-V down in Australia. The good news is that 362 BHP is more than enough power to stuff a Charger R/T or Chrysler 300C HEMI, particularly when equipped with the 6-speed manual, and should make an interesting run at the BMW 550i with a manual as well. This would indeed make up the GTP model, a step below the top-line GXPs, however a step above the presumed GT models only available with V6 engines.

...A GXP model has not been "confirmed" yet, however I'd be willing to bet that a 400 BHP 6.0L LS2 will certainly make its way into the G8 by the end of the year. Considering that Holden just released the HSV version of the VE Commodore with the LS2, it is an almost certainty that we will see the exact same car here as the G8 GXP...

IMO, I couldn't be happier with the L76. It offers more power than the competition, it will run on E85, and it uses cylinder-deactivation to save fuel. Certainly Chrysler has their MDS system on the HEMI, however, I doubt it to be as effective as it would be on the L76. Performance figures will probably see the car into the 6-second range for 0-60 times (respectable), and top-speeds will probably scratch around at 155 on the moderately high-performance GTP model in question.

...And pricing? My guess is that you could get a decently equipped GTP (L76 V8, 6-speed manual, leather, etc) for less than $35K, and I imagine that a GXP wouldn't top out much higher than $40K by the time they hit the streets...

Toronado
Now sell a Chevy version, call it the Caprice and I'm game. Then make an Impala spin-off, à la 1994. And make a wagon, damnit!

My guess is that your wish may come true. I can't see Chevy sprining for anything less than the Statesman version of the Commodore for the next Impala, but much of that decision lies in question as it depends largely on what Buick decides to do with its Invicta/Statesman. If Chevy does do just the "basic" Commodore, it will be a tough decision between your Berlina/Calais models or the plain-jane Commodores. Much of that will likely depend on Pontiac, which will likely be using the SV6 and SS-V models for their vehicles (given the whole "excitement" thing), Chevy going a bit more upscale (while keeping prices low) for the everyman looking for something "nicer" than a Ford Fivehundred or Dodge Charger.

...What I do question is if Chevrolet will returned to the fudged relationship between the Impala and Caprice of the '90s, or do it the "real" way as God intended from the '60s. If that is the case, Chevrolet would make the basic model an Impala (read Berlina and Calais) and then offer the Caprice as the top luxury model. However given the branding behind the Impala SS (which will compete in NASCAR as of 2008), that will likely remain the top model.

Speaking of the Impala SS, look for it to likely be a spin-off of the HSV Commodore, however I find it unlikely that GM will equip it with a manual transmission or an overly-sporty suspension. Think "poor-man's AMG" and you'll get the idea...

As for a wagon version, I find it unlikely at the moment, but that will depend on what Holden decides to do. Considering that there was a VZ wagon, there should theoretically be a VE version, so the return of an Impala Wagon isn't out of the question. On the same token, there is still plenty of questioning behind the idea of having the Ute to return to America (albeit in small numbers) as "El Camino Resurrection." If we all remember, Blazin Extreme had some photos of Utes running around in Detroit, and I can't say the idea wouldn't do too bad in America, GM just has to be smart about it.

...We will likely know most of what we need to know by the Chicago and New York Auto Shows this year. If the current mantras are true, the G8 should be here by fall, and the Impala not long after. Then GM fans can revel in the fact that we have the dominant RWD platform in America for a reasonable price, and thereafter can enjoy cars the way they should be once again...
 
Well, that 362 BHP 6.0L V8 is the same L76 V8 as seen in our Silverados and Suburbans, and is indeed the same V8 that powers the Holden Monaro SS-V down in Australia.
Not to nit-pick, but it's the Holden Commodore SS-V, and the Holden Monaro. And yes, the reason why the Commodore/Monaro only have the 362hp version is to leave room for the ~400hp HSV versions. Although in the newest edition of Motor, they have built a 370kw/740nm (500hp/550ft.lbs) Supercharged GTS, with a full factory warranty. Yummy...

IMO, I couldn't be happier with the L76. It offers more power than the competition, it will run on E85, and it uses cylinder-deactivation to save fuel.
s this confirmed for the US? Because our Commodore can't be optioned with cylinder-deactivation

Performance figures will probably see the car into the 6-second range for 0-60 times (respectable), and top-speeds will probably scratch around at 155 on the moderately high-performance GTP model in question.
Again in Motor, the previous issue had the Commodore SS winning the 'Bang for Your Buck' competition. Where it ran a 5.2sec 0-100. And a 13.4 quater. The HSV versions are in the 4s.


Speaking of the Impala SS, look for it to likely be a spin-off of the HSV Commodore, however I find it unlikely that GM will equip it with a manual transmission or an overly-sporty suspension. Think "poor-man's AMG" and you'll get the idea...
Which knocks out the top of the pack HSV GTS, with magnetic dampers a la Ferrari.
 
Is this confirmed for the US? Because our Commodore can't be optioned with cylinder-deactivation

I presume so because our trucks with the same engines have it (if I recall correctly)...

Casio
Again in Motor, the previous issue had the Commodore SS winning the 'Bang for Your Buck' competition. Where it ran a 5.2sec 0-100. And a 13.4 quater. The HSV versions are in the 4s.

I guess I underestimated the performance just a bit. Hmmm, not sure why. The Charger R/T (probably the Commodore's best competition) does it in about the same time with the 345 BHP HEMI V8.

Casio
Which knocks out the top of the pack HSV GTS, with magnetic dampers a la Ferrari.

Actually those "Ferrari" dampers came off of the Corvette, which actually came off the Cadillac STS from a few years back. Yes, that means people in Detroit (at Delphi) actually know how to make something worthwile...
 
***UPDATE: G8 Debut is closer than ever, more leaked shots***

LLN.com
Images from the show floor at the Chicago Auto Show provide us with an early glimpse of the 2008 Pontiac G8, which will be officially revealed later this week. The photos show a projector screen at the Pontiac booth displaying a promotional video of the G8.

The images were captured via one of six public-access webcams on the show floor. The photos provide us with the best look yet at the new car.

GM CEO Rick Wagoner already offered the public a sneak peek at the G8 on ABC's "World News Tonight." He discussed the performance sedan with host Charles Gibson, in addition to other new GM products.

The G8 is essentially a rebadged 2007 Holden Commodore. The Commodore and G8 ride on GM's new Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform, which underpins the 2009 Camaro and the next-generation Impala, in addition to several other planned vehicles.

1feb5g8wu2.jpg

2feb5g8ii3.jpg

3feb5g8ys4.jpg

4feb5g8et6.jpg


Awesome. Simply awesome. Have I mentioned how much I can't wait for this car? I have not had this much built-up anticipation for a new American car in quite some time, probably the C6 Corvette debut. The car looks quite good, powerful and yet restrained.

I really want to see what our "basic" versions will look like, how much they will cost, and how soon I'll be able to drive one. The General may have a hit on their hands, and we should know more by this Thursday at the latest...
 
Are those ricer tails I see? Ugh.

EDIT:

Yes, they are. Found more pics.

 
Woah, it wasn't actully completley ugly-fied like I was expecting. The 370kW GTS Casio mentioned earlier seems to have the same bonnet, or similar.
 
I hear ya, skip. Altezza lights on my '04 Altima was cool few years ago, but now it's just, ugh.

Only other thing I don't like on the car would be those huge vents on the hood. Car looks really nice other than that. 👍
 
So will this replace something like the grand prix?
Looks like it would rule easily walk on the GP GTP.

Any word on cost?
I can't download videos so any video links are worthless to me (dial up).

In any case, I'd love to hear as much about the car as possible. RWD? HP? etc etc. :D
 
I quite like that pontiac style front bumper, don't like the tail lights though.

In any case, I'd love to hear as much about the car as possible. RWD? HP? etc etc. :D

Well it is a slighty modified Holden Commodore so it is RWD and yes expect alot of power from top models (400+hp).
 
Very cool. While I have not been following this car much, I am looking foreard to it. Can't wait to see it on the streets.

On the rear lights: if the Lexus IS is any indication, they will look OK, not great, OK with silver paint. With yellow, they might look totally aftermarket.:yuck: We'll see.

Saturn is GM German cars, pontiac serves as the Australian. This is shaping out nicely. This new line of cars will certainly help to pull GM into the lead of the American market and maybe out of the red.
 
Looks great. I'm guessing the upcoming pontiac G6 is gonna be riding on this platform too? I remember watching the Rolex 24 and they were talking about how the Pontiac racing teams already have the racing bodies of the upcoming G6 which will be rwd, but they aren't allowed to use the bodies until the next G6 comes out. They also hinted that it would be a lot sooner than what most people were expecting.
 
oh...hell...yes...
 
I have to disagree with the people who are saying the rear tail lights are ugly. I think they fit the car rather nicely. As for the front of the car....:drool: :drool: :bowdown: :bowdown:
 
So will this replace something like the grand prix?
Looks like it would rule easily walk on the GP GTP.

Any word on cost?
I can't download videos so any video links are worthless to me (dial up).

In any case, I'd love to hear as much about the car as possible. RWD? HP? etc etc. :D

1) Yes, it is replacing the Grand Prix, and there will be a replacement for every trim level on the Grand Prix as it stands now.

2) Pricing should mirror the current Grand Prix, if not, maybe increase slightly. I'd suspect about $23K for an entry-level G8, all the way up to nearly $40K for a fully-loaded GXP.

3) The car will be rear-wheel-drive, all-wheel-drive is a distant possibility, and there will be a wide range of engines. Basic models should have the same 3.9L V6 that is going in the Camaro, mid-range models should use either the 5.3L 325 BHP Vortec V8 or 6.0L 367 BHP V8 depending on model choice, and the top-line GXP should move about with the 400 BHP LS2 from the Corvette. Manual transmissions will be standard, but a six-speed automatic will be an option.

---

More good news for those of us still waiting for the return of the El Camino...

LLN.com
Rebadging the Holden Commodore as the Pontiac G8 might not be the only example of Australian-American collaboration within General Motors. According to a new report, GM might import the new Holden Ute to the United States — possibly as a revived Chevrolet El Camino.

Sources told Australia's CarPoint the lure of "substantial" export orders for "the Americas" have accelerated the planned launch date of the new Commodore Ute.

Eleven months ago, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said a new El Camino could come by "putting a Chevrolet face" on a Holden Ute.

The Commodore/G8, Ute, and Chevy Camaro all share GM's new Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform. GM officials have also acknowledged plans to build a new Pontiac GTO, Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, and an all new Buick model on the platform.

Hooray! They are finally getting it right at GM! Now if they can sell us the Ute with some basic stuff, we can get rid of the Colorado... That, and the idea of a 400+ BHP El Camino SS makes me pee just a little...
 
I'm most excited about the new Buick on the Zeta platform.

A GN revival is probably just a pipe dream....but :drool:

A safer bet would be to assume it is just going to be a 4 door RWD luxury car.
 
Back