Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 199,976 views
I'm stunned. That interior shot has really done it for me. I just can't believe I'm seeing something that nice inside of a Pontiac! GM's finally done it... if the car drives as well as it looks, domestic cars may finally have caught up with their Japanese and European rivals. For so many years, I've pointed to the fact that new American cars have interiors that are put to shame by Japanese cars five years old. That's finally over. I wouldn't be disappointed if I saw that inside an Audi or an Acura.

I just can't express how excited I am to see something that attractive coming from GM. If they can keep this up, I can say that I may someday be proud to buy a GM car.

Also, something else that's a MAJOR departure from domestic convention... take a look, that's a Manual in the show car! What was the last time the press photos showed a Manual version in a car for the US market, which wasn't a "sports car"? Keep it up, GM.
 
It did 0-62 in 6.3 sec with the traction control on, and did it in 6.1 sec with it off. I would have expected faster.

Now the engines are a bit different between the American and World Commodores, although both are based on the L76 design, the world version gets the L98. It was my understanding that their model has less power, but conversions point me otherwise.

...Aussie tests of the same car have put the SS-V into the low 5-second range, and I suppose that was probably with the 6-speed manual and traction control off. I'd expect similar results from the Pontiac.

And even with the automatic, the 6L80E in the G8 GT should perform more than well enough to keep it fast...
 
Okay. This magazines reviewer probably just floored it, no brake torquing involved. Also we have no idea how accurate their measurements are.

If you look at their interior picture, the interior doesn't look nearly as nice as the show car's because it is missing the two-tone and the leather dash. I don't really think we will actually get leather on the dash when it goes to production, so...
 
http://www.drivearabia.com/chevrolet/chevroletluminass.html#It did 0-62 in 6.3 sec with the traction control on, and did it in 6.1 sec with it off. I would have expected faster.
Holden quotes a 5.2 second time with the stick and a 5.4 second time with the slushbox, so maybe the engine in that one was feeling sluggish that day. Considering the 300C pulls to 60 in 5.4, I would be damn surprised of this car of roughly equal weight and more horsepoer pulls any more than 5.4. Especially since the Holden's have 6 speed transmissions instead of 5 speeds.
 
(On the leather) No, we're not. The lady at the Auto Show even said that the leather won't come on the dash or the wheel. IMO, after seeing it in person the materials look first-rate, especially for a GM product, and with or without the leather it will look fine. Taking it into context as a GM model in North America, it is outstanding. Putting it up against the two Chrysler LX twins is going to be an embarrassment for DCX, and with Ford, well... They don't have anything here to play with.
 
Toronado: okay. 👍

Interior:

Whether GM likes it or not, people are going to cross shop the G8 with stuff like the IS350, G35, 335i, and even the new CTS. I realize these cars are smaller, but if you plan to play in the sport sedan segment at the $30K-$40K price point, these are your competitors. The G8 interior has to do more than be better than past GM products, it has to be better than the Euro/Asian entries.

I think of the Saturn Aura, which had a stunning interior in the show car, and while the interior is similar in production, generally from what I have heard it still feels somewhat cheap, at least cheaper than it's competitors.
 
It did 0-62 in 6.3 sec with the traction control on, and did it in 6.1 sec with it off. I would have expected faster.

For a car suffering in the Arabian desert? That 0-60 time sounds fine to me, given the circumstances. And you're right: it's vastly superior to any current GM car. Maybe not VW/Audi nice, maybe no Mercedes-Benz nice, but definitely a real competitor, especially considering V8, rear-drive, and the price. Another solid hit for GM. 👍
 
If you look at their interior picture, the interior doesn't look nearly as nice as the show car's because it is missing the two-tone and the leather dash. I don't really think we will actually get leather on the dash when it goes to production, so...

We get the leather on the dash on only the SS-V model. I'd never get one because looking at it makes me have nosebleeds.

ssinside1pc1.jpg

ssinside2se3.jpg


Strangly enough, one of the biggest positives for this car was the fit and finish of the interior trim. So I don't know what's going on with that. Most reivews down here think it's at Audi levels. I'll try to scan some comparisons it's had with recent european cars tonight.
 
Is that really leather or is that just colored panels? The G8 GT prototype had cowhide on the dash, and it was pretty evident despite only being allowed a few feet away, but those photos don't seem very "leathery."
 
Is that really leather or is that just colored panels? The G8 GT prototype had cowhide on the dash, and it was pretty evident despite only being allowed a few feet away, but those photos don't seem very "leathery."

Hmm. I just assumed it was. But now looking I'm probably wrong. Although no where on the Holden site does it say what it actually is.

Looking at that I think you're probably right, as you can't see the stitching like you can on the G8 photo.
 
Meh, no big deal. My guess is that the colored dash will be an option on most of the G8 GT models, but the "regular" G8 (read Omega) will probably go on with solid color dashboards. Either way, I think the interior is stunning, especially when said that it comes from GM. I wouldn't be surprised if GM actually shows up and becomes the "standard" when it comes to large mid-size sedans, and hell, blows the "standard" Avalon away in the segment.
 
** NEW VIDEO **



Sweet. Looks good, sounds pretty good, and look... Without the leather the interior looks fine!

...Now if we can get a few test mules in the hands of the American press, then I'd be really happy...
 
Thats been filmed at the Holden testing grounds in Melbourne. Same place they were showing off the VE Commodore last year.
 
I don't like this, but then again, I'm fine with keeping Zeta under the two roofs of Pontiac and Chevrolet in America...

LLN.com
General Motors management reportedly asked Buick dealers if they'd like a large rear-wheel-drive sedan based on the Holden Statesman that will be sold in China next year. Their response? "Thanks - but no, thanks," according to Automotive News.

Why would an American luxury car maker reject adding a modern rear-drive four-door to its lineup? Dealers think such a vehicle would cannibalize sales of the front-wheel-drive Lucerne.

"It was firmly in the U.S. product program" until the car was shown to Buick dealers, product boss Bob Lutz said. He said the door is still open if dealers want to reconsider.

Too bad for those of us who wanted to see a return to the glory-days of the G-Body Regal/GN/GNX and the later B-Body Roadmasters. Buick is still a moderately relevant brand in America, and I do have to question leaving the idea of a Buick-branded Statesman, particularly with the GM L-Body facing its last leg sometime in the near-future.

Maybe that means our Impala will be a Statesman/Caprice?
 
Why ask dealers? Ask the buying public what they want.
 
Too bad for those of us who wanted to see a return to the glory-days of the G-Body Regal/GN/GNX and the later B-Body Roadmasters. Buick is still a moderately relevant brand in America, and I do have to question leaving the idea of a Buick-branded Statesman, particularly with the GM L-Body facing its last leg sometime in the near-future.

Maybe that means our Impala will be a Statesman/Caprice?

If that's so, then the Monaro might switch loyalties and become the Monte Carl...no, Chevelle.

I'd like to see a turbo V6 rear-drive Buick again, too, though, if only for one year. A limited-production Monaro-based GNX?
 
If that's so, then the Monaro might switch loyalties and become the Monte Carl...no, Chevelle.

I'd like to see a turbo V6 rear-drive Buick again, too, though, if only for one year. A limited-production Monaro-based GNX?

The return of the Chevelle is likely dependent on the success of the GTO and the Camaro. I'm unsure how many RWD, similarly-sized coupes GM wants running around. However, I think low production numbers for each of the various models could prove interesting in the vary least, particularly in the case of a Chevelle or GN(X) resurrection.

There was a "kit" version of the Chevelle you could buy from a private company for the VZ GTO, looked like this:

0402_1z+2005_Chevrolet_Chevelle_Concept+Front_Driver_Side.jpg


0402_2z+2005_Chevrolet_Chevelle_Concept+Rear_Passenger_Side.jpg


...That is the photo shopped version they used to create the car, I'm having a hard time finding the finalized pictures...
 
Why ask dealers? Ask the buying public what they want.
Because Buick's buying public couldn't care less, so long as the car is as boat like as possible and as softly sprung as a trampoline.
 
There was a "kit" version of the Chevelle you could buy from a private company for the VZ GTO, looked like this:

http://chevyhiperformance.com/featu...vrolet_Chevelle_Concept+Front_Driver_Side.jpg

http://chevyhiperformance.com/featu...olet_Chevelle_Concept+Rear_Passenger_Side.jpg

...That is the photo shopped version they used to create the car, I'm having a hard time finding the finalized pictures...

It's called the HRSS 454, due to problems with using the Chevelle name.




Ugly piece of crap, if you ask me. They make it by replacing the bumper covers and fitting repro Chevelle sheetmetal to the GTO body with lots of bondo.
 
so long as the car is as boat like as possible and as softly sprung as a trampoline.

Then the Statesman is Perfect!! :p


It's called the HRSS 454, due to problems with using the Chevelle name.

Ugly piece of crap, if you ask me. They make it by replacing the bumper covers and fitting repro Chevelle sheetmetal to the GTO body with lots of bondo.


Ewww nothing but complains about the clean standard styling so they do that to it, awful.
 
I want that Chevelle, badly. I don't care if its just a GTO with a body kit.
 
Ugly piece of crap, if you ask me. They make it by replacing the bumper covers and fitting repro Chevelle sheetmetal to the GTO body with lots of bondo.

Front, I'd agree. rear...well, not too bad.
 
** NEW VIDEO **



Sweet. Looks good, sounds pretty good, and look... Without the leather the interior looks fine!

...Now if we can get a few test mules in the hands of the American press, then I'd be really happy...


Looks like cadillac meets beemer.
 
Looks like cadillac meets beemer.

I'm sure that is what they had meant. There has been a small movement within GM to get Pontiac to compete with BMW on some levels, or at least be a cheaper alternative similar to Acura, kinda. I think the G8 could accomplish that, splitting the difference between the 3-series and 5-series.

...God only knows; If Pontiac gets crazy with a GXP version, we could see a cheap alternative to the CTS-V to better match the M3, and that would be awesome...
 
Zeta + Cadillac = ULS sedan?

LLN.com
General Motors could use the Zeta platform that underpins the 2009 Chevy Camaro and 2009 Pontiac G8 for "very large" Cadillac, GM product planner Bob Lutz told a group of journalists earlier this month.

"What you've got to understand is that we've got this modular product architecture kit where we have two different lengths of center underbodies, two different lengths of front rails and two different lengths of rear overhang. So we can modify those elements any way we want. In the case of the Camaro, it's long short, short. If, for instance, we wanted to do a very large rear-wheel-drive Cadillac with more than eight cylinders you could do long, long, long," Lutz said, according to The Car Connection.

"It's like a Lego set-you weld them together anyway you want."

Whenever there's mention of a "very large" future Cadillac, one can't help but recall the automaker's popular Sixteen concept (pictured). Although a recent report by Auto News suggested Cadillac would not build a competitor to the Mercedes S-Class, nor a production Sixteen, Lutz's comments seem to suggest such vehicles could be built economically.

Although encouraging, don't expect a Zeta-based super Caddy any time soon. GM's first Zeta car — the Pontiac G8 — will arrive in showrooms later this year, followed by the Camaro in late 2008 or early 2009. A new Chevrolet Impala based on the same platform is also expected in the next few years. Other Zeta-based vehicles are unlikely to be launched until after these cars hit the market.

I like the idea, but I'm just as unsure as everyone else when it comes to the final product. There was a time in which the Zeta program was "canceled" here in America because it was thought not to be good enough, but it would appear that it has changed.

IMO, I'd like to see the return of a big-Cadillac with RWD, especially with the laughable effort made by the DTS. Yes, it is a decent car, but why not save a bunch of money and get the arguably better Lucerne?

Anyway, I like the idea. I'm glad to see Cadillac is serious about RWD, and furthermore, that GM is looking for new ways to use their new platform.
 
A big car. Don't call it the ULS. Caddy had the Fleetwood. The name should be FTS. The question is how big? I could see cadillac attempt to take on the S-class, but I have doubts as to how well GM can do luxury.
 
In the light of the current news about the Zeta chassis being in trouble due to the possibility of upcoming CAFE laws here in the United States, I've penned this letter to GM in hopes of causing a bit of discussion, possibly some review, and maybe even a postage-stamp to Bob Lutz's desk...

From my personal web-page...

An Open Letter to General Motors: Don't Stop the Zeta Program​

To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter in a time in which I not only have begun to doubt some of the leadership at General Motors, but generally stand in disbelief that something as minor as the possibility of change disallows an entire company from effectively entering, transforming, and dominating a market once again. How exactly can the company by which has been the creator of some of the greatest cars on the planet (The Corvette, the Epsilon cars, the Sigma cars, etc) run scared from the Government? Are your resources that low, or that mis-managed that you simply cannot make fine-tuned adjustments to your current product lines?

I am of course talking about the recent news that the Zeta "global rear-wheel-drive" architecture has been placed on an effective "hold" until regulations and technology meet up to match proposed CAFE standards. Quite frankly, I'm very disappointed that it has come to this, as I (among many) truly believed that this Zeta program was to be the saving grace for GM and its subsidiaries. To see GM running away with its tail between its legs just doesn't seem right, especially when you guys have been known to give the proverbial "finger" to the rest of the world when it comes to new cars and new ideas.

So why, must I ask, is it so difficult to meet these new standards? Are there not options all ready available with existing technology by which these cars can meet the fuel-efficiency standards? Granted of course, I wouldn't expect the high-output V8 models to do so, but can we not expect the "basic" V6 models to do so? I have to leave it up to the engineers at GM to get things right, but can they not see past their own hands when it comes to the future? Simply put, if BMW and Mercedes, by which nearly every-single one of their products is rear-wheel-drive can match these standards, why can't the world's largest automaker? I have more faith in you than most people, and I know that men such as Bob Lutz and presumably Rick Wagoner want these cars on the road, but lets be serious, it isn't going to be that hard.

So what do I suggest? First things first, I'd say "suck it up." The world isn't fair, but you may as well make money while you can and adjust later. Quite frankly, it would appear that Chrysler and Ford are doing the same, given their transition from the LX to the LY body in the near-future, and as with Ford, the creation of an updated rear-wheel-drive chassis based on the Mustang for 2010. If they can do it, there isn't any reason why GM cannot, particularly when you've got the engineering genius that is Holden, Cadillac, and the boys at Opel on your side. They are the flagship companies at GM, and there isn't any reason why you cannot utilize the tools you have to develop a way in which you can surpass these possible CAFE standards.

Recently a few friends of mine, including myself, decided that we needed to attempt to come up with a different way to align the products in question. Overall, we had attempted to utilize current GM parts to create what can only be described as hypothetical Zetas, and this is what we have come up with:

- Solution to the V8 problem: As most of the fans of the Zeta chassis know, the most-important products to come from that lineage will be the V8-powered line. As American as apple pie, the mid-size rear-wheel-drive sedan is the cornerstone to American automotive history, and indeed the key to the future of the American automobile. That being said, I can understand that the V8 program is presumably the toughest by which to meet these CAFE standards, but you do have to ask, why? Are there not smaller-displacement V8s made available by other GM subsidiaries by which would be able to give acceptable performance? Can we not adapt the current 5.3L Vortec V8 found in the Chevrolet Tahoe and Silverado, complete with E85 capacity and cylinder-deactivation to meet these standards? I would presume largely that matching that V8 with the 6L80E automatic would largely fix many of the fuel-mileage concerns, particularly with a good balance of short gearing and a tall axle ratio, similar to results produced by many Mercedes and BMW automobiles. Quite frankly, a similar solution could also be applied to the higher-performance models as well, given the adaptability of the L76 V8 already to be found in the Commodore/G8, and presumably the LS2 as well, given the relationship between the two models of the LS-series engine.

- Solution to the V6 problem: With the given history of GM, and the long-standing dominance of not only the V8 market, but quite frankly being a dominant force in the V6 market, I can't help but wonder why exactly there are any problems with this whatsoever. With such a wide-range of V6 options made available around the world, and the general know-how when it comes to building them "the right way," there isn't any reason why this should be a problem. First and foremost, are there solutions already on the table? To that I say yes, as the LY7 is already an amazingly adaptable V6 powerplant, and when connected to the right transmission (again, the 6L80E) should be able to produce numbers in excess of the current or proposed CAFE standards. Beyond that, what future is in store for the direct-injection V6 to be had in the CTS? Can that not be applied to the Zeta chassis as well? Can your cylinder-deactivation be placed upon the LY7 as well? Or why not go the 'cheap' route and play-around with the current "high value" V6 line? We've already heard plenty about the 3.9L V6 making its way into the Zeta-based Camaro, so why can't that be used in other models? I would be in assumption that again, an E85-equipped 3.9L with cylinder deactivation (already available in the Impala LTZ) and the proper transmission (6L80E) would be more than enough to meet CAFE standards with proper tuning. What about the Aussie Alloytech lineup? Can we not adapt their 2.8L V6 (as previously seen in the CTS) to the Commodore as well? What about the Atlas I6 from the GMT360 chassis? What it comes down to is that there are solutions out there, and you've got to use them.

- Question of diesel power: What has gotten me most excited about GM in recent months has been their interest in diesel power beyond that of current trains of thought at other American and Japanese automakers. With a full onslaught of diesel-powered Zetas on the market, I don't see any reason why standards could not be met. I recall an interview not too long ago in which the head of Holden was quite interested in diesel power for the Commodore, and he indeed cited that the company was looking into producing a diesel-powered Commodore in the near-future? What then is preventing GM North America from doing the same in cars like the G8, or even the presumed Zeta-based Impala? Can we not use your long-rumored 4.8L diesel V8 with 360 BHP to power these cars with fuel economy reportedly in the high 30 to low 40 MPG area? What about the new 2.9L diesel V6 that will be in the new CTS? Will that not have enough grunt to move the Zeta at a respectable rate? What it comes down to again is the use of the correct engine technology with the correct transmission, and I see no reason why GM cannot master this art with these cars.

- Question of going below six-cylinders: Is it possible? Why can't it be done? My friends and I asked this question numerous times. Given GM's history of sticking four-cylinder engines presumably in places where they didn't belong, why not attempt it one more time, but instead, get it right? As it currently stands, I am in a camp by which many would believe that GM has the right technology when it comes to I4 and I5 engines to produce a winning combination to get things right in the Zeta cars. So, why not consider a Zeta powered by the current 2.4L LE5 I4? Can 170 BHP not be considered enough horsepower to move one of these cars effectively? Competitors over at Chrysler seem to have been able to do so with their 2.7L V6 in the LX models, granted of course it makes a few more horsepower these days, but can the current problem be solved in this way? What about the 2.0L direct-injection engine found in the Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Red Line? Can 260 BHP be considered to be enough to propel the car? Could the boost be turned down to produce "only" 200 BHP, thereby to maximize fuel economy? What about the current lineup of I5 engines found in the GMT355 trucks? Can the L5R be adapted for use in the Zeta as well? With the correct transmission, once again I find myself screaming that there is a solution, you just have to be ready to make the decision.

So to conclude this letter, I just have to ask, why? Why can't the world's largest, and arguably best automaker not solve this issue? Thousands and thousands of people have been eagerly awaiting the debut of this chassis, these models, for years on-end. To leave these people effectively "out-to-dry" is not only a shame, but it is a good way by which to lose business. And in the current state of affairs, that is not a bright idea. So please consider my words, do what is best, and attempt to get these cars on the road. Nobody wants to see these cars fail, and nobody wants to go on with "just" the G8 and the Camaro. We want an Impala. We want a GTO. We want a Riviera. We want a XLS. The Zeta chassis carries the future of GM with it, and letting it go simply does not bode well with the money invested, and the opinions of the public as well.
 
An Open Letter to General Motors: Don't Stop the Zeta Program​

To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter in a time in which I not only have begun to doubt some of the leadership at General Motors, but generally stand in disbelief that something as minor as the possibility of change disallows an entire company from effectively entering, transforming, and dominating a market once again. How exactly can the company by which has been the creator of some of the greatest cars on the planet (The Corvette, the Epsilon cars, the Sigma cars, etc) run scared from the Government? Are your resources that low, or that mis-managed that you simply cannot make fine-tuned adjustments to your current product lines?

I am of course talking about the recent news that the Zeta "global rear-wheel-drive" architecture has been placed on an effective "hold" until regulations and technology meet up to match proposed CAFE standards. Quite frankly, I'm very disappointed that it has come to this, as I (among many) truly believed that this Zeta program was to be the saving grace for GM and its subsidiaries. To see GM running away with its tail between its legs just doesn't seem right, especially when you guys have been known to give the proverbial "finger" to the rest of the world when it comes to new cars and new ideas.

So why, must I ask, is it so difficult to meet these new standards? Are there not options all ready available with existing technology by which these cars can meet the fuel-efficiency standards? Granted of course, I wouldn't expect the high-output V8 models to do so, but can we not expect the "basic" V6 models to do so? I have to leave it up to the engineers at GM to get things right, but can they not see past their own hands when it comes to the future? Simply put, if BMW and Mercedes, by which nearly every-single one of their products is rear-wheel-drive can match these standards, why can't the world's largest automaker? I have more faith in you than most people, and I know that men such as Bob Lutz and presumably Rick Wagoner want these cars on the road, but lets be serious, it isn't going to be that hard.

So what do I suggest? First things first, I'd say "suck it up." The world isn't fair, but you may as well make money while you can and adjust later. Quite frankly, it would appear that Chrysler and Ford are doing the same, given their transition from the LX to the LY body in the near-future, and as with Ford, the creation of an updated rear-wheel-drive chassis based on the Mustang for 2010. If they can do it, there isn't any reason why GM cannot, particularly when you've got the engineering genius that is Holden, Cadillac, and the boys at Opel on your side. They are the flagship companies at GM, and there isn't any reason why you cannot utilize the tools you have to develop a way in which you can surpass these possible CAFE standards.

Recently a few friends of mine, including myself, decided that we needed to attempt to come up with a different way to align the products in question. Overall, we had attempted to utilize current GM parts to create what can only be described as hypothetical Zetas, and this is what we have come up with:

- Solution to the V8 problem: As most of the fans of the Zeta chassis know, the most-important products to come from that lineage will be the V8-powered line. As American as apple pie, the mid-size rear-wheel-drive sedan is the cornerstone to American automotive history, and indeed the key to the future of the American automobile. That being said, I can understand that the V8 program is presumably the toughest by which to meet these CAFE standards, but you do have to ask, why? Are there not smaller-displacement V8s made available by other GM subsidiaries by which would be able to give acceptable performance? Can we not adapt the current 5.3L Vortec V8 found in the Chevrolet Tahoe and Silverado, complete with E85 capacity and cylinder-deactivation to meet these standards? I would presume largely that matching that V8 with the 6L80E automatic would largely fix many of the fuel-mileage concerns, particularly with a good balance of short gearing and a tall axle ratio, similar to results produced by many Mercedes and BMW automobiles. Quite frankly, a similar solution could also be applied to the higher-performance models as well, given the adaptability of the L76 V8 already to be found in the Commodore/G8, and presumably the LS2 as well, given the relationship between the two models of the LS-series engine.

- Solution to the V6 problem: With the given history of GM, and the long-standing dominance of not only the V8 market, but quite frankly being a dominant force in the V6 market, I can't help but wonder why exactly there are any problems with this whatsoever. With such a wide-range of V6 options made available around the world, and the general know-how when it comes to building them "the right way," there isn't any reason why this should be a problem. First and foremost, are there solutions already on the table? To that I say yes, as the LY7 is already an amazingly adaptable V6 powerplant, and when connected to the right transmission (again, the 6L80E) should be able to produce numbers in excess of the current or proposed CAFE standards. Beyond that, what future is in store for the direct-injection V6 to be had in the CTS? Can that not be applied to the Zeta chassis as well? Can your cylinder-deactivation be placed upon the LY7 as well? Or why not go the 'cheap' route and play-around with the current "high value" V6 line? We've already heard plenty about the 3.9L V6 making its way into the Zeta-based Camaro, so why can't that be used in other models? I would be in assumption that again, an E85-equipped 3.9L with cylinder deactivation (already available in the Impala LTZ) and the proper transmission (6L80E) would be more than enough to meet CAFE standards with proper tuning. What about the Aussie Alloytech lineup? Can we not adapt their 2.8L V6 (as previously seen in the CTS) to the Commodore as well? What about the Atlas I6 from the GMT360 chassis? What it comes down to is that there are solutions out there, and you've got to use them.

- Question of diesel power: What has gotten me most excited about GM in recent months has been their interest in diesel power beyond that of current trains of thought at other American and Japanese automakers. With a full onslaught of diesel-powered Zetas on the market, I don't see any reason why standards could not be met. I recall an interview not too long ago in which the head of Holden was quite interested in diesel power for the Commodore, and he indeed cited that the company was looking into producing a diesel-powered Commodore in the near-future? What then is preventing GM North America from doing the same in cars like the G8, or even the presumed Zeta-based Impala? Can we not use your long-rumored 4.8L diesel V8 with 360 BHP to power these cars with fuel economy reportedly in the high 30 to low 40 MPG area? What about the new 2.9L diesel V6 that will be in the new CTS? Will that not have enough grunt to move the Zeta at a respectable rate? What it comes down to again is the use of the correct engine technology with the correct transmission, and I see no reason why GM cannot master this art with these cars.

- Question of going below six-cylinders: Is it possible? Why can't it be done? My friends and I asked this question numerous times. Given GM's history of sticking four-cylinder engines presumably in places where they didn't belong, why not attempt it one more time, but instead, get it right? As it currently stands, I am in a camp by which many would believe that GM has the right technology when it comes to I4 and I5 engines to produce a winning combination to get things right in the Zeta cars. So, why not consider a Zeta powered by the current 2.4L LE5 I4? Can 170 BHP not be considered enough horsepower to move one of these cars effectively? Competitors over at Chrysler seem to have been able to do so with their 2.7L V6 in the LX models, granted of course it makes a few more horsepower these days, but can the current problem be solved in this way? What about the 2.0L direct-injection engine found in the Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Red Line? Can 260 BHP be considered to be enough to propel the car? Could the boost be turned down to produce "only" 200 BHP, thereby to maximize fuel economy? What about the current lineup of I5 engines found in the GMT355 trucks? Can the L5R be adapted for use in the Zeta as well? With the correct transmission, once again I find myself screaming that there is a solution, you just have to be ready to make the decision.

So to conclude this letter, I just have to ask, why? Why can't the world's largest, and arguably best automaker not solve this issue? Thousands and thousands of people have been eagerly awaiting the debut of this chassis, these models, for years on-end. To leave these people effectively "out-to-dry" is not only a shame, but it is a good way by which to lose business. And in the current state of affairs, that is not a bright idea. So please consider my words, do what is best, and attempt to get these cars on the road. Nobody wants to see these cars fail, and nobody wants to go on with "just" the G8 and the Camaro. We want an Impala. We want a GTO. We want a Riviera. We want a XLS. The Zeta chassis carries the future of GM with it, and letting it go simply does not bode well with the money invested, and the opinions of the public as well.

also cocks. 👍
 
Very good points there YSSMAN 👍 Now we just need to get GM to read it... :)

Only one thing, I am pretty sure the Atlas I6 and it's I5 and I4 derivatives are way too tall for a sedan.
 
Back