GT Academy July 2013!!

So two events per week, final week unlocking Trial 2 and Final trial, nice.

No, five events are unlocked today. Four practice tests at Silverstone and then a final full lap test which is the qualifier. If you finish all five you unlock the three bonus tests but these are just that, bonus. Not the GTA trials, although the last one is locked until the qualifier is finished for some reason.

Good fun so far, but throwing away .6 of a second away at Stowe, just can't get that braking and turn in sorted. As high as 24th, so pretty happy, like to break the 2:20's with practice though.

Yeah in the UK. My first sector is pretty good but Brooklands is a tough corner. You can take so many lines through there

This 👍. Feels more responsive, and you can feel the weight transition a little more to, best example is the sausage kerb coming onto the straight if you hit that, you can feel the weight and entire car more It's quite nice, I've really enjoyed it so far! All my times are done while commentating, so I now have a sore throat from doing 3 hours of videos non stop talking haha! The queue for videos is like 10 hours long :/ quite funny really haha!

I'll have a proper go this afternoon, but I think you'll like it twissy :D!

Hopefully mate, I will either really get on with it or it will all go pear shaped, I expect the susual suspects to be up the front. Will get on it tonight at some point

Sure it's not, when you click on a name on the leaderboard here

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/academy/2013/rankings/

it tells you the settings used and BB isn't listed. I've not played it yet though. Pesky work.

In the UK you mean I guess, times are down to low 2:18's already on the global leaderboard.

Yeah in the UK. I like the first sector & Maggots/Becketts chicane but I dislike Brooklands. There's so many lines you can take through there

Hopefully mate, I will either really get on with it or it will all go pear shaped, I expect the susual suspects to be up the front. Will get on it tonight at some point

Ye a few of the usual are already up there, if my videos get up before hand I've been going through the leaderboards briefly having a gander. A few new names to.. O and you know your name got mentioned anyway as soon as I saw the UK leaderboards haha :D!

It's such a big lap with so much time to win or lose I doubt the times will be as tight at the top as previous years.

First I play with controller and I must say I find the handling an improvement over GT5. The feel with the controller is much more there and it's responsive. The slow corners on Silverstone with a powerfull RWD car and an (X) as throttle is still difficult to accelerate properly out of the corner. That could be a lack on my side as well of course.

The menu's I like a lot too. Fresh, simple and fast. Great job what they have achieved. TIn the garage it's easy to navigate and find the infos on the cars. One question though: Why are all the menu's blocked? Tuning etc....

The experience on autumn ring is completely different. The AI is very very slow on those tracks! Woahhhhh...

I must say that despite being British, Silverstone is not one of my favourite circuits. Too many fast corners for my liking, with Abbey being particularly evil.

Still, so far I've managed to set a 2:20.403 for 22nd in the UK and 111th overall. I must say, there's quite a few British drivers in the top 250 (about 50 at the moment), though none of us have done a 2:18 yet (EDIT: GhostDriver has just managed a 2:18.973).

I reckon that to get to the UK national finals, you'll need to be in the low 2:19s at the very least. By my estimate, I still have to shave off another second... :eek:

On the subject of the new physics, I like them. You definitely have to be smoother in order to avoid skidding off. Only trouble is, it'll make the wait until GT6's release even more agonising...

Still not seeing this for download yet in the United States.

Maybe they are having some server issues or something... Oh well.

I'm a patient person. I will just wait. Rocking myself back and forth, crying... until it comes out to download.

Watched a few of the best from other countries, their laps are insane. However, they do seem to be drifting a lot. Perhaps it would have been better choosing a circuit with more hard-braking corners & less high-speed corners.

I must say that despite being British, Silverstone is not one of my favourite circuits. Too many fast corners for my liking, with Abbey being particularly evil.

Still, so far I've managed to set a 2:20.403 for 22nd in the UK and 111th overall. I must say, there's quite a few British drivers in the top 250 (about 50 at the moment), though none of us have done a 2:18 yet (EDIT: GhostDriver has just managed a 2:18.973).

I reckon that to get to the UK national finals, you'll need to be in the low 2:19s at the very least. By my estimate, I still have to shave off another second... :eek:

On the subject of the new physics, I like them. You definitely have to be smoother in order to avoid skidding off. Only trouble is, it'll make the wait until GT6's release even more agonising...

I'd drop that estimate to a 2:17.1/2 for rank 1 - 10 and for a qualification time a 2:17.7/8 if im honest with you! Lots of time to gain round here, and it's quite quick to go quick! But I'm with you there mate :)! The physics are great! 👍

After hearing all of the hype of the physics and Silverstone, I can't wait to get GT Academy downloaded on my slim PS3 soon! Mostly later, since I'm getting sleepy now.

But just like last year, I can't enter unfortunately. So I'll see how far I can push myself using the DS3 (I don't have a wheel.) Let's just see what I can do with the new physics.

Edit: Thanks for the info for the US version Wiz. 👍

I'd drop that estimate to a 2:17.1/2 for rank 1 - 10 and for a qualification time a 2:17.7/8 if im honest with you! Lots of time to gain round here, and it's quite quick to go quick! But I'm with you there mate :)! The physics are great! 👍

Yeah, it always amazes me how much time can be found if you put some effort into a time trial. I've only done five laps or so and my best is a high 2'22 but I have no problem envisioning a high 2'19 for me which usually means that I'll end up somewhere around a low 2'19 or even a high 2'18. Mind you I'm nowhere near fast enough to qualify even in Sweden. I think we will see mid to low 2'16 at the top of the world rankings.

Well time to get the wheel out, set good times but everyone above me is on 900 degree sequential. Im on 'Stick' and smoothness matters now.

I reckon a low 2:18 will be the cut off for the UK, I can't see 16 of us getting in the 2:17s seeing as there's only 2 in the 2:18s right now :P

I reckon a low 2:18 will be the cut off for the UK, I can't see 16 of us getting in the 2:17s seeing as there's only 2 in the 2:18s right now :P

You'd be surprised. If people have already in a couple of hours got close to a 2:17, over the duration of 26 days I'm sure there are at least 16 people in the UK capable of getting in to the 17's with a lot of effort.

Still not seeing this for download yet in the United States.

Maybe they are having some server issues or something... Oh well.

I'm a patient person. I will just wait. Rocking myself back and forth, crying... until it comes out to download.

Why not create a UK PSN account, took me five minutes to set up a fake USA one and grab something I was after last year. Grab the download and you can play it on your main profile no problem.

Does anybody have any tips as to preventing myself from driving like I'm on ice? Is it because I accelerate too early, wrong gear
etc?

Does anybody have any tips as to preventing myself from driving like I'm on ice? Is it because I accelerate too early, wrong gear
etc?

One of the things I found is you have to be so much more gentle on the gas than in GT5, don't be afraid to wait ages before getting on the gas. 👍 Smooth is fast now with the new physics. 👍

Not actually going to run the qualifier for GT Academy this year as CFS (partially recovered) would prevent me from actually competing in the race camp even if I did get through. But ran the first sector challenge and went 32nd with a 34.191. :D

Man, 26 days till deadline. Times are going to be TIGHT.

I'm surprised that GT could make driving road cars such a pleasure, even more somehow. I really love the feel of the enhanced physics model. Not touching on how realistic or not it is, just in sheer driving pleasure ;)

Looks like this is going to turn into another final round drift-fest like Motegi was in last year's Academy. Hopefully after a couple of days people start being more graceful through some of the corners currently being, pretty much, fully drifted on entry through, like T1, Maggots, and the entry to Brooklands. They should reward smoothness a lot more. The car's too stiff imo, which is why it seems like a controlled oversteer may end up being faster in the end, disappointing.

But yeah, track's beautiful, car handles well enough, but like I said, quite fun indeed.

The track boundaries are different corner to corner. I'm glad the cones from last year are gone, but I kinda wish we still had them... with the ability to turn them off, just to be able to see exactly where PD decided a lap's dirty or not.

The exit through Luffield is currently being my personal little ball buster.

Calculated from the current best practice times the theoretical fastest time:

2'15'928

So we know that some French, Japanese, .. and others will go way under that.

That puts my target at least at the current fastest, ouch.

I love the braking physics (seems a lot improved to me) and even the other physics seem more realistic. However I prefer (game wise) the slippery on-line physics we had in GT5.

Man, 26 days till deadline. Times are going to be TIGHT.

I'm surprised that GT could make driving road cars such a pleasure, even more somehow. I really love the feel of the enhanced physics model. Not touching on how realistic or not it is, just in sheer driving pleasure ;)

Looks like this is going to turn into another final round drift-fest like Motegi was in last year's Academy. Hopefully after a couple of days people start being more graceful through some of the corners currently being, pretty much, fully drifted on entry through, like T1, Maggots, and the entry to Brooklands. They should reward smoothness a lot more. The car's too stiff imo, which is why it seems like a controlled oversteer may end up being faster in the end, disappointing.

But yeah, track's beautiful, car handles well enough, but like I said, quite fun indeed.

The track boundaries are different corner to corner. I'm glad the cones from last year are gone, but I kinda wish we still had them... with the ability to turn them off, just to be able to see exactly where PD decided a lap's dirty or not.

The exit through Luffield is currently being my personal little ball buster.

Fully agree with everything you said. I think you should be able to use the strip out of Luffield, as you can with the inside at Brooklands and on the outside of the start/finish straight. I've been penalised a few times after using it

In order to get a low-mid 2:18, you've pretty much got to drift. I'm on a 2:19.7 at the moment

I'm struggling to feel limit of car as my wheel broke recently and very little Force Feedback is given. Think there will be quite a few people in 2:17s today, might even see 2:16s by the end of this TT if it is even possible.

Kind of annoyed that driving aids aren't locked.
There are already people with ABS 10 on the leaderboard and we all know what this does...

Back