Battlefield 3

• Thread starter The Bman
  • 14,126 comments
:-)
pkp or m60? I love the pkp but the m60 feels more punchy

Really hard to make complete sense of the patch list, but the PKP is getting “less recoil, better accuracy on aimed firing and more initial recoil”.

Incidentally, I hadn’t noticed it before, but FRAG gets “reduced splash damage” on top of the higher recoil and slower ROF for USAS equipped with FRAG.

I tried the M60, but its slow ROF was frustrating with my style of play and it lacks the 3 hit kill ability of the PKP in close quarters. Plus, although it sounds odd, I really like the look of the PKP over it.

It's possible, but without knowing when the last time was I can't say. Everyone is eagerly awaiting the next patch which is yet to be given a schedule date. But it is known that this patch will give the multiplayer a complete facelift.

Will be fixed is previously mentioned patch.

I don't have it myself, but I know you get it by killing 4 guys while they are planting the bomb.

Im glad they arw doing something, but you can still get killed by it after the patch but it will blow up. Im happy they did something, just kinda wished it couldnt kill you period. Im just being picky now though lol.

So, in my search of new guns, QBZ-95B is a great carbine for the Engineer class, the only Chinese weapon I like (the others are horrible), better than the Scar I'd say. Had some good rounds with Drag tonight, nice to bring the K/D back up a point after it dropping 3 over a couple of nights. Mastered IFVs too.

Gone back to 1911 suppressed for Recon, may try out the G18 suppressed again.

I'm really liking the iron sights of the 74u. Probably gonna start using it because I finally got the Engineer Star.

So, in my search of new guns, QBZ-95B is a great carbine for the Engineer class, the only Chinese weapon I like (the others are horrible), better than the Scar I'd say. Had some good rounds with Drag tonight, nice to bring the K/D back up a point after it dropping 3 over a couple of nights. Mastered IFVs too.

I've found myself getting a little frustrated with the 1911 lately, but then I realised I was being plain impatient. I did however discover a new Recon weapon for my playstyle also, the SKS with it's 20 round mag and low recoil is an amazing DMR for closer quarters whilst retaining the Recon gear. It lacks the punch for true sniping, I'd move up to my old M39 for more mid to long range, keep the SKS for solid mid range and then my M40 (sort of bored with the M98) for real long range engagements.

Sureboss

Your going to have to do an awful lot to convince me to put away the SCAR :lol: other than the 21 round magazine it's a fantastic gun. I think I've got 7 service stars with it now.

I do like the M4A1 as well though.

Patrick
DICE is preparing for upcoming patch. Great news!

Clicky.
-----------------

I only need 5 more trophies to platinum the game. :D

God I can't wait for that patch, for the USAS and MAV adjustments alone.

I'd move up to my old M39 for more mid to long range, keep the SKS for solid mid range and then my M40 (sort of bored with the M98) for real long range engagements.

Some guy I encountered recently was running around like Rambo with a M39 and Acog at Kharg. Got me 3 times and ended with like 20 kills.

CMvan46
for the MAV adjustments alone.
I am too looking forward to it, but I must say, the tweaks to favour Jets and Heli’s (eg. Laser painting distracted by flares :rolleyes:) and the watering down of Engi effectiveness against armour do dilute my enthusiasm a squidge.

Some guy I encountered recently was running around like Rambo with a M39 and Acog at Kharg. Got me 3 times and ended with like 20 kills.

I will never stop going on about how good the M39 can be, I was using that and the SKS in TDM and consistently getting top on my team if not very close (up to 1 ribbon away from MVP 1 Medal and 2 ribbons from MVP 2 Medal). I use M39 + Acog + Bipod and the SKS with a Holo + Foregrip, M39 in a more traditional DMR role and the SKS in a close fire support style putting down tonnes of suppressing fire as you get a tonne of ammo with the proficiency on the SKS. Everytime I use either I always wonder why I even try to use bolt actions, I'm by no means a bad sniper but I feel 10x more useful giving support from closer to the fight and being much more versatile and mobile. That being said, I do want to get my rhythm back with the M40.

Edit: I'm also inspired to revisit the Mk11 and attempt to make a stealth sniper rifle from it, M39 looks kind of goofy to me with the suppressor whereas it fits the Mk11 quite nicely from what I've seen but I'll need to unlock that.

Last edited:
I just really recognized how over-powered the USAS is!

Just now? It's a portable Howitzer canon when used with Frag rounds... :P

Edit: Havent played in a couple weeks... Think I'll hold out until the patch and then put in some more time :)

Last edited:
Unlocked the USAS tonight. Not gonna use it at all :D
Also played a Seine Crossing game where I got 8000+ points before ribbons (21 of those), and I was only MVP 3! Only using the M4, and the M16A4 (and a bit of handguns :D)

What are everyone's thoughts on Burst Fire vs Full Auto?

Personally I keep my guns full auto. I just burst manually, if that makes sense. There are times where you just need the complete full auto and I don't like the trouble of switching when I have fractions of a second to react to a guy a foot in front of me.

Or worse case scenario I cry and say "PLEASE DON'T KILL ME" even though the other guy can't hear my cries for mercy lol.

on a good note, I'm getting close to my 9th service star for the 870 w/ flachette. God I love that thing lol

Personally I keep my guns full auto. I just burst manually, if that makes sense. There are times where you just need the complete full auto and I don't like the trouble of switching when I have fractions of a second to react to a guy a foot in front of me.

This. Never got on with the A4 just on this basis.

Daniel
Unlocked the USAS tonight. Not gonna use it at all

I used to use it a lot, but now don't. It's not invincible by any stretch, just when everybody is using it it becomes a harder proposition to face. You should try it out at least ;)

Last edited:
I'm pretty close to the USAS-12, a month ago I would've sworn blind I'd never use it but after trying 64 player Rush on Grand Bazaar I've come to appreciate the value of a shotgun... There's just not many maps where a shotgun makes more sense than any other weapon.

In regards to fire modes, burst is fine but I've been caught out before. I'm sure the AN-94 defaults to burst mode so I've had a couple of occasions where I've been surprised and only fired two rounds, and after dying realised why I wasn't shooting more... I've also picked up kits with the burst fire version of the M16 and M4 and had the same problem. It's not that I don't like burst fire, but really it's easier to burst with full auto weapons than it is to full auto with burst weapons (i.e. timing trigger pulls to empty the mag as quickly as possible). Also I don't like weapons with all three fire modes because I switch to semi auto for long range shots and having the extra mode means you have to remember that you press the mode button more than with just two modes. Still, fire modes are a nice addition.

I unlocked the USAS some time ago now, probably 12 or so hours ago, probably only have 20 kills with it.

On the other hand, have really taken to using the M26 with assault. I find that most of the time Im being shot running from cover to cover, so the M26 gives me an easy way to dispose of any stragglers that try and follow me. I think its hilarious, they must walk around the corner expecting to find me prone or hiding in a corner, instead, I stand right in the middle and blast the guy in the face as he comes around. They never even get a shot off.

Plus what are squadmates for? I always try run two medics if we have a full squad. Sometimes two engineers as well, but usually one support and one engi instead.

Unlocked the USAS tonight. Not gonna use it at all :D
Also played a Seine Crossing game where I got 8000+ points before ribbons (21 of those), and I was only MVP 3! Only using the M4, and the M16A4 (and a bit of handguns :D)

What are everyone's thoughts on Burst Fire vs Full Auto?

Up until a couple of days ago i was very sceptical about the burst only weapons, but i tried then any way as a few friends have been have some great rusults with the KH2002. So i tried it and i was so surprised. It seems so accurate, and its good at CQC because of the burst fire. This gives it a great ROF aswell .I have been a fan of the AN-94 for a while, so i know its qualities. Im going to try out the M4A1 and M16A4 next. Hopefully the M4 is good as im loooking for another carbine.

Last edited:
NOTICE We are rolling out several backend updates as we lay the groundwork for the upcoming patch. We will keep you advised and provide dates ASAP. Online services for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 will be going offline March 20th at 9 AM UTC / 1 AM PST until 10 AM UTC / 2 AM PST. Battlefield 3 online multiplayer and the Battlelog services will be unavailable during this time.

Interesting stuff.

I've yet to try the M26, I want to but I can't part with my medikit as it's so useful to myself and others. I would say in a full squad on a map like Bazaar you should have 2 assault, on a map like Firestorm with alot of vehicles you should have 2 Engineers if not 3 (with a support to keep you supplied and repair tool on 1 Engineer perhaps mines the other if not all tools :lol:).

As for my progress, I'm really getting in to Recon now. Started using the Mk11 MOD with a suppressor, 8x and the bipod and it's a really useful rifle once again (all the semi-autos are very very good is what I've established, highly underused compared to the M98B). running a bipod on a semi-auto means you can get very long range kills with relative ease, against a bolt action sniper you can quite easily suppress them quickly as you don't need to take as much time, at super long range you'll likely still lose but at anything other you can put so many shots that if you don't kill them they'll be practically blind anyway.

Quick tip for Recon: DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements). Assuming you're not playing very aggressively and you're firing at a range where bullet drop comes in to play, DOPE is your best friend. Take a few random shots from your position of choice at various distances to get a feel for the drop, pay attention to the lines/dots on your scope and you can work out where your bullet is going to go before you put one near an enemy. Similarly if you see a stationary target, take a shot at something of similar distance (the building they're on if it's not going to alert them) before taking your proper shot. The suppressor also allows for a quick DOPE shot that you can fire to establish bullet drop safely before you engage a target.

M26

Recon

DOPE

I love the M26. And trust me, after using the smoke launcher for a while, I hardly miss the med pack. I don't want to rely on it, even though it's a great tool.

I've also started getting better with recon. My preferred weapon is the L96, but that's just my real-life bias towards it.

And remember, every rifle has different drop-off rates because they have different bullet speeds. So your dope from the M89b won't be the same as your dope on the SV98.

And remember, every rifle has different drop-off rates because they have different bullet speeds. So your dope from the M89b won't be the same as your dope on the SV98.

Exactly, which is 1) why snipers should stick to 1 or 2 rifles (1 bolt 1 semi auto?) keeping the same optics on each rifle so you know based on the scope you're using where that gun will hit at X range and 2) why DOPE is key if you're changing weapons. Aiming your crosshairs right on the enemy if they're far away on a building also allows you to see exactly which dot you should aim for, based on where it hits the building below. I'd suggest sticking to the 8x on Semi auto, then Ballistics for the bolts, if you're firing at a range the ballistic is uncomfortable with on a map, good chance semi-auto is the better bet. It's a classic sin that alot of Recons make, to use a bolt action on maps like Seine where a semi-auto is much much more versatile.

Up against a pathetic team last night defending in Rush on Operation Metro. They had too many snipers and too many guys trying to MAV kill. That said my only death was by MAV even though I was prone on a rock under a tree crawling around. when it got me I said, "Enough is enough" and spawned as an engineer with the Igla. I shot 5 or so of those things out of the sky and we crushed them.

Up against a pathetic team last night defending in Rush on Operation Metro. They had too many snipers and too many guys trying to MAV kill. That said my only death was by MAV even though I was prone on a rock under a tree crawling around. when it got me I said, "Enough is enough" and spawned as an engineer with the Igla. I shot 5 or so of those things out of the sky and we crushed them.

Interesting thing about the MAVs, if you destroy one, you get 20 points for destroying enemy equipment, but if you destroy 99% of it, you get a vehicle destroy assist, and 99 points. Somewhat counterintuitive.

Hollidog
Interesting thing about the MAVs, if you destroy one, you get 20 points for destroying enemy equipment, but if you destroy 99% of it, you get a vehicle destroy assist, and 99 points. Somewhat counterintuitive.

Never thought of that but a good point. I also love how sometimes you get a 99 kill assist plus a suppression assist at 50 points? Hmmm.

And why is there "additional points" sometimes at the end if the game when it goes through everything you got during that match?

And why is there "additional points" sometimes at the end if the game when it goes through everything you got during that match?

I've gotten that when joining a game in progress right at the end. Like if I don't even register for a ribbon for playing the round it will give me the 200 points for it. For the bonus points after a "regular" game however, I have no clue.

BLITZ_69
I've gotten that when joining a game in progress right at the end. Like if I don't even register for a ribbon for playing the round it will give me the 200 points for it. For the bonus points after a "regular" game however, I have no clue.

I've gotten it in both situations. One time I had like 15 ribbons and then additional points so I have no idea.

I got 2000 additional points once didnt show any ribbons for me after the match becauae there was too many then i counted them had 10 ribbons. Hope someone understands lol.

[Edit]: What is a good map for 2 stationary vehicle kills?

Back