Chances of Porsche in GT6

Paid Porsche DLC

• Total voters
His point was that we don't know in either direction what effort was put in.
Actually he said,

Johnny has no idea how much effort PD actually put into getting premium Rufs in the game.

But perhaps you are right. Maybe it was the proverbial Johnny being referred to meaning everyone, as opposed to the Johnny whose post was quoted.:lol:

I stand corrected.👍

Last edited:
They make no sense to you because you are not involved in any stage of the decision making process, and Johnny has no idea how much effort PD actually put into getting premium Rufs in the game.

Be disappointed with the outcome, but don't assume you know the process.

You're absolutely right. I have no idea what's going on with PD because they communicate right next to nothing besides vague generalities or PR/hype that half the time ends up being wrong. The only way this continued lack of attention to RUF's makes any sense, to me, is if plans are in the works to introduce a Porsche add-on pack "in a future update" or more likely with GT7. To be clear, I'm not holding my breath on that one. :banghead: :ouch:

It's actually a good question when EA wrapped up THE licence as we know it today (the all encompassing, no questions asked Porsche licence) as opposed to just being the only ones with Porsche cars. Before 1999 there were several titles with licenced Porsche models. Sony even published one. Starting in 1999 with Sports Car GT they were pretty much the only game in town. That doesn't seem like a coincidence to me.

• Simbin had three games in a two year span that had Porsche models, but they were racing models and GTR 2 had them removed for the Steam rerelease (but not GT Legends or GTR); so perhaps there was some sort of loophole with the FIA GT licence that EA managed to close (this would also explain how Infogrames managed to get ahold of it for the several releases of Test Drive Le Mans).
  • PD has never come any closer than having Kaz's personal 996 GT3 hidden away in Gran Turismo 3, and seemed to know they couldn't get it because even GT2 was loaded with RUF models instead; but sandwiched between GT2 and GT3 Square somehow managed to get that exact same 911 GT3 and the 986 Boxster in Driving Emotion Type-S. Have PD been specifically excluded? I can't imagine circa-1999 Sony would balk at paying for something that Square would jump at, even circa-1999 Square who seemed to use money to wipe their ass.
  • Microsoft consistently were the only publisher other than EA to have Porsche models, and I can imagine them paying for it where Sony might not; but even then as soon as Forza was created PGR lost all of its Porsche models and switched to RUFs and the Forza series got the Porsches.

Makes me curious just what backroom deals were going on besides the infamous Ferrari/Porsche tradeoff that was so widely reported when Porsches were dropped from Forza 4.

Last edited:
Every couple of years the exclusive licence is supposed to be ending.

It takes that long? I thought it was a yearly thing. Like Groundhog Day.

Tornado's got it spot on.

2010: "Yeah I'm hoping it's over this year, heard some rumors."
2011: "OK, trust me, 2011 is the year."
2012: "Things don't go as planned, OK? 2012 is when it's happening."
2013: "You know, sometimes you just have to believe. I believe 2013 is the year this contract goes kaput."
2014: "Alright guys, it's definitely happening this year. The time has come."
2015: "Soon."

The dates are all wrong on this GT5 progress report... :P

Since noone knows the length of this contract. Is it possible, Jean Todt(if not him personally) could be in negotiations with Porsche to include them in this new FiA/PD venture? What if there will be a whole series of Porsche Carrera Cup/Super Cup support races along with WEC? Todt could also be in negotiations to get the latest F1 machines in the game. Starting from karts to F1. But the Porsche licence. Do we know when it ceases?

It's possible Porsche could turn down renewel of the licence for the EA because off this new partnership. Of course, money talks. Porsche wouldnt need any more exposure from PD in regards to being the iconic brand it already is. I just wonder, if in the FiA deciding which series' to host in GTx, Porsches inclusion comes to play. I also get there are 458 Speciales and Lamborghini Trofeos and Maserati one make races to fill any slots for those types of races. Todt is serious about joining PD and I'm sure he's been brought up to speed about the situation with Porsche.

Since noone knows the length of this contract. Is it possible, Jean Todt(if not him personally) could be in negotiations with Porsche to include them in this new FiA/PD venture? What if there will be a whole series of Porsche Carrera Cup/Super Cup support races along with WEC? Todt could also be in negotiations to get the latest F1 machines in the game. Starting from karts to F1. But the Porsche licence. Do we know when it ceases?

It's possible Porsche could turn down renewel of the licence for the EA because off this new partnership. Of course, money talks. Porsche wouldnt need any more exposure from PD in regards to being the iconic brand it already is. I just wonder, if in the FiA deciding which series' to host in GTx, Porsches inclusion comes to play. I also get there are 458 Speciales and Lamborghini Trofeos and Maserati one make races to fill any slots for those types of races. Todt is serious about joining PD and I'm sure he's been brought up to speed about the situation with Porsche.
I think the whole, "Porsche situation" exists mainly in the mind of gamers. No one knows the details of the contract with EA. We don't even know if it's exclusive. Everyone assumes it is, but Porsche may have just priced themselves really high and EA is the only one that took the bait. T10 and PD may have looked at the bigger picture and said, "If we give Porsche what they want and the other guys find out, they'll ask for more money and we're done in". Or maybe EA has an exclusive. We really have no idea. I can't see anyone sticking their nose into the a private contract between two corporations to benefit a third corporation but you never know. I'd bet against that though.

I think the whole, "Porsche situation" exists mainly in the mind of gamers. No one knows the details of the contract with EA. We don't even know if it's exclusive. Everyone assumes it is, but Porsche may have just priced themselves really high and EA is the only one that took the bait. T10 and PD may have looked at the bigger picture and said, "If we give Porsche what they want and the other guys find out, they'll ask for more money and we're done in". Or maybe EA has an exclusive. We really have no idea. I can't see anyone sticking their nose into the a private contract between two corporations to benefit a third corporation but you never know. I'd bet against that though.
"We" know.
The cars designed and assembled by Stuttgart marque Porsche have frustratingly been a no-go area for many racing games, thanks to a lengthy licensing deal the manufacturer has in place with EA. "We actually have a good relationship with Porsche - and as soon as the situation with their contract changes, one of these days they'll appear in Gran Turismo," says Yamauchi. With Gran Turismo 6 looking to introduce 12 months worth of additional cars, will it be happening within the lifespan of Polyphony's next game? "That, I'm not sure about. I think the Porsche and EA contract, the terms are a little bit longer." http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-29-kazunori-yamauchi-profile

And:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/porsche-will-not-be-in-gt5.103054/

I still don't understand the current licensing situation with Porsche & EA. Is EA still charging money for a sub-license, but just at a higher price or are they just not doing that anymore?

Dreams have been shattered. Arguments have now ceased. The end. :guilty:
The dream is still alive. We have no idea when the contract ends or what the terms are. For all we know Kaz could be in Stuttgart right now negotiating for GT7 with EA out in the waiting room and T10 on the phone. :sly:

I remember hearing way back (almost 10 years ago I believe) that Porsche didn't want their cars in certain games because they were getting too realistic and they feared losing sales. Do I think that's true? Not really. Just a rumor thing I heard.

Now the thing is with Porsche,Honda,Ferrari they aren't really liking what Ea does with their cars. Honda just stopped because Ea is bs with their cars and rices them up like nothing, Ferrari is meh and Porsche made it because back in 2000 Nfs was good and Im preety sure Rivals is goona be the last Nfs seen period

I still don't get why Porsche doesn't care about being represented in video games & simulators. It really is a shame since they would be better off represented in the likes of Project Cars, Gran Turismo, & Forza Motorsport rather than Need for Speed.

Now the thing is with Porsche,Honda,Ferrari they aren't really liking what Ea does with their cars. Honda just stopped because Ea is bs with their cars and rices them up like nothing, Ferrari is meh and Porsche made it because back in 2000 Nfs was good and Im preety sure Rivals is goona be the last Nfs seen period
Honda originally dislikes a street racing game, because Japanese street racers often used Civic in the 80's. They believe the street racers hurt their brand images, so they will not let them included in the game unless races are held in closed circuits. This is why Hondas were not in Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero, but 3 (In 3, Shutoko is considered as a closed circuit (not a highway) and marshal cars are roaming there).

Honda originally dislikes a street racing game, because Japanese street racers often used Civic in the 80's. They believe the street racers hurt their brand images, so they will not let them included in the game unless races are held in closed circuits. This is why Hondas were not in Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero, but 3 (In 3, Shutoko is considered as a closed circuit (not a highway) and marshal cars are roaming there).

You mean the other way around? They were in Zero, albeit in a questionable way but not in 3. They were in the Drift series because it was considered closed circuit.

I still don't get why Porsche doesn't care about being represented in video games & simulators. It really is a shame since they would be better off represented in the likes of Project Cars, Gran Turismo, & Forza Motorsport rather than Need for Speed.
Given the path they chose, that is, a long term relationship with a single company, it's possible they wanted the convenience of dealing with a single game maker, along with a higher single contract. Seems obvious that it's only a financial arrangement for them and they don't consider videogames as good marketing tools, otherwise they would have made a different choice with broader participation. Let's hope they change their minds, I'd love to see Porsche spread out amongst all the sims.

The possibility also exists that, beyond how much money they can charge to licence their cars out, Porsche simply doesn't care about whether their cars would be supposedly better represented in some other games than they would in Need For Speed games.

Need for Speed has brand recognition that is damn close to being just as strong as Gran Turismo's, Porsche cars are usually highly showcased in every game released (as EA would be silly to not do when they are the only one who have them), and the image problem that the Need for Speed series has among "serious" racing game enthusiasts doesn't exist among the greater gaming populace.

Let's hope they change their minds, I'd love to see Porsche spread out amongst all the sims.
Yup, I honestly just want to see Porsches back in Forza Motorsport. I loved driving a 911 Turbo in FM4. I can wait for that day though, Rufs will suffice for now; I just wish Turn 10 would model more of them.

Yup, I honestly just want to see Porsches back in Forza Motorsport. I loved driving a 911 Turbo in FM4. I can wait for that day though, Rufs will suffice for now; I just wish Turn 10 would model more of them.

yes. all i cared about was the 550 spyder when I had FM4. I bought all the Posches and loved driving each one. but that 550 was my favorite. i even left it stock.

now i just use the GT3-RS in Shift 1. Gold BBS and green & yellow H&R graphics.

The only thing I don't undersrand however is Forza Horizon's ability to include Honda models, even the first FH had a special Honda promo that includes 3 free Honda cars. And FH breaks all the rules.

I don't think the "Honda hates street racing" idea was ever fully borne out in practice. Xtreme Racer 3 didn't have them, but the Xtreme Racer Drift did. Midnight Club 3 didn't have them, but the Underground titles did. Initial D Arcade Stage had them, but Wangan Midnight did not. Test Drive Unlimited didn't have them, but Forza Horizon did. I believe it's probably more that Honda doesn't like street racing games that bring to mind or specifically emulate the real life street racing on the Shuto Expressway. How the PS2 Fast and the Furious game got away with it is beyond me.

Last edited:
Auto Modellista had Hondas racing on street circuits and touges. It also had online capability to have "gatherings".

Back