DiRT Showdown

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 164 comments
From what I recall, the game was easy. :)

To keep on topic though, there's some 'new' videos out that have yet to be posted in this thread.

&

I get what they're doing, but the main thing they've done wrong is label it as part of the Dirt series when it's really going a completely different route. It goes against so much that the Dirt series brings, I thought they might bring over some of that though I was certainly expecting them not to. It's more like a spin off and I hope business will resume as normal in the next title.

It was pretty much said in that one interview that DiRT 4 would continue with the Rally stuff so not much to worry about.

The way I see this splitting of the franchise (Technicallly, this would be the start of the "Showdown" Franchise), this satisfies both the Casual audience and the Hardcore sim audience as both get games catered to them.

Last edited:
I'm very disappointed with the demo.
Only 2 views (no cockpit view which would be a great option for this type of game) and why on earth do developers insist on putting things like rewind and/or boost in all the racers these days :(

I'm a big DiRT fan but this will probably be the first one I wont buy on day one.

I'm very disappointed with the demo.
Only 2 views (no cockpit view which would be a great option for this type of game) and why on earth do developers insist on putting things like rewind and/or boost in all the racers these days :(

Because its for the casual players and not the hardcore racing fans. Besides, your not even remotely playing a hardcore sim, this is basically aimed at casual players and is more of a party game.

RACECAR
Because its for the casual players and not the hardcore racing fans. Besides, your not even remotely playing a hardcore sim, this is basically aimed at casual players and is more of a party game.

I agree to some extent. Sure it isn't for hardcore fans of racing, buy neither was GRiD, and that wasn't a sin either, not even close. And why did they change the physics. The GRiD physics would be fine I'm this game.

I also don't like how the derby is score based. I do however see WHY it is like this, but I hope offline mode has a last man standing form of demolition derby.

The demo was very disappointing and I really wanted a revival of Demolition Derby.
DD in GRID was way better than DIRT Showdown. for many reasons.

Dirt Showdown:
-Collisions feel weak, there's little to no dust or debris from collisions.
-Hard to see any cosmetic damage except the odd door or bumper coming off.
-Handling is almost none existent, just turn right and apply full throttle too make the sharpest turns.
-Collision physics seem basic at best, the strongest collisions do little more than spin your car.
-Damage has no effect on handling what so ever.

Grid:
-Collisions create a lot of dust and you can see many individual pieces flying off.
-Damage was easy to see, scratches, scrapes and heavy deformation of the car body which is dependant on the angle and force of the collision.
-Cars took some finesse to control, there was a good sense of traction.
-It was amazing to watch collision physics, with cars rolling over and tumbling.
-Damage affected many different parts of the car, which was reflected in the handling.

Haloxeon
The demo was very disappointing and I really wanted a revival of Demolition Derby.
DD in GRID was way better than DIRT Showdown. for many reasons.

Dirt Showdown:
-Collisions feel weak, there's little to no dust or debris from collisions.
-Hard to see any cosmetic damage except the odd door or bumper coming off.
-Handling is almost none existent, just turn right and apply full throttle too make the sharpest turns.
-Collision physics seem basic at best, the strongest collisions do little more than spin your car.
-Damage has no effect on handling what so ever.

Grid:
-Collisions create a lot of dust and you can see many individual pieces flying off.
-Damage was easy to see, scratches, scrapes and heavy deformation of the car body which is dependant on the angle and force of the collision.
-Cars took some finesse to control, there was a good sense of traction.
-It was amazing to watch collision physics, with cars rolling over and tumbling.
-Damage affected many different parts of the car, which was reflected in the handling.

I definitely agree that the damage model and physics model were appropriate for this game. They wasted time making new engines. GRiD was not a sim to begin with, therefore the physics are fine for an arcade racer like this, and GRiD was and still is highly regarded for it's damage models. Good job wasting time CM.

Even though I just complained a ton, I will still buy the games because despite the flaws it is fun.

Also, the sponsorship crap is getting rediculous in the CM games. I know these games are expensive but why does a logo have to flash in my face every second, and then you charge for extra content? I guess I understand why they did it in DiRT games and GRiD, because the cars were licensed ($$$$) and race cars and race tracks do have sponsors. But in Showdown this should not be here. Only the Gymkhana cars require licensing, and most demolition derby events won't be popular enough to pull big sponsors on cars and around the track. Plus, we will still have to pay for additional content.

Way to screw customers CM.

Yeah it by no means feels like a bad game, but just a poor job when they have already shown they can do much much better. Might eventually be a buy when the price comes way down in a steam sale.

Well, I most certainly won't be bothering with this game after the demo.

The damage and the point system doesn't make any sense in Demolition Derby. At all. 8-Ball doesn't even come close to GRID's. Hoonigan and racing events looks kind of meh-ish. Overall, a mediocre game at best with very little replay value.

Personally, I love it. Yeah, it's not as good as GRiD and previous DiRT games - but it's a spin-off game. It's not supposed to be a full racing sim. It's not supposed to have rallying in it. It's just a spin-off game, it's not DiRT 4, the DiRT franchise isn't dying. The amount of people I've seen around the internet saying it sucks because of no rallying and saying the DiRT franchise is dead now is really starting to annoy me. It's not a racing sim, it's not supposed to be super realistic. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Block fan either.

It's not a racing sim, it's not supposed to be super realistic. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Block fan either.

Seems like people just constantly want a reason to bitch at Codemasters.

Can anyone who has it confirm whether or not the CSR is officially supported?

Not that I care about this title; just wanting to know of they have made any dent in their lack of wheel support.

Personally, I love it. Yeah, it's not as good as GRiD and previous DiRT games - but it's a spin-off game. It's not supposed to be a full racing sim. It's not supposed to have rallying in it. It's just a spin-off game, it's not DiRT 4, the DiRT franchise isn't dying. The amount of people I've seen around the internet saying it sucks because of no rallying and saying the DiRT franchise is dead now is really starting to annoy me. It's not a racing sim, it's not supposed to be super realistic. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Block fan either.

The problem I have is that it's just not an exciting demo to play. It's very short on a very small track so you don't get any feeling about how the cars will feel or how competitive the AI will be. The lack of views is naff IMO as a game like this cries out for a cockpit view so you can see cars coming at you. The damage is almost non existent and has no real bearing on the handling which is poor for a game based around demolition derby gameplay.
A demo is supposed to build an appetite for the upcoming game and, for me certainly in this case, it's done the opposite to the point where I'll pick up a secondhand one or wait for the price to drop..which, in this case, will be very quickly in my experience ;)
I'm a massive DiRT fan and have always loved Codies racers and always will, best console racer of all time IMO is Xbox Race Driver 2, but I just didn't feel the love with this demo :(

wolfdragon97

Yes, though I think it should have been a GRiD spinoff. Then again, can you do a spinoff of a series that has been neglected for, I'd say 4-5years? (Don't remember when it came out.) Actually, it isn't even a series yet. Oh well, maybe the DiRT name is better known, especially by people who don't play a lot of racing games, just because it's been out there more, so they think it will get more attention.

Yes, though I think it should have been a GRiD spinoff. Then again, can you do a spinoff of a series that has been neglected for, I'd say 4-5years? (Don't remember when it came out.) Actually, it isn't even a series yet. Oh well, maybe the DiRT name is better known, especially by people who don't play a lot of racing games, just because it's been out there more, so they think it will get more attention.

It wouldn't really work as a GRiD spin-off because it's a Hoonigan Edition. It's pretty much like a huge DLC for DiRT in a way. It's heavily based around Ken Block, and he doesn't really have anything to do with GRiD. However, a GRiD spin-off game sounds pretty good.

wolfdragon97
It wouldn't really work as a GRiD spin-off because it's a Hoonigan Edition. It's pretty much like a huge DLC for DiRT in a way. It's heavily based around Ken Block, and he doesn't really have anything to do with GRiD. However, a GRiD spin-off game sounds pretty good.

But don't you think Hoonigan would have fit better as a GRiD game to begin with, because GRiD had drifting, and that's a very big part of Gymkhana. I don't know, I suppose it fit well with DiRT.

Seems like people just constantly want a reason to bitch at Codemasters.

For me, it's fine being unrealistic so long as it's not doing most of the work for me. I wouldn't call the normal Dirt games realistic but they're better for it, provides a breath of fresh air compared to GT5, however I still have to countersteer and such where in the Showdown demo it just felt a bit to on-rails for me and ultimately lacked challenge. I knew Showdown wasn't aimed for me though, so I got what I expected and I'll wait for Dirt 4.

Dragonistic
For me, it's fine being unrealistic so long as it's not doing most of the work for me. I wouldn't call the normal Dirt games realistic but they're better for it, provides a breath of fresh air compared to GT5, however I still have to countersteer and such where in the Showdown demo it just felt a bit to on-rails for me and ultimately lacked challenge. I knew Showdown wasn't aimed for me though, so I got what I expected and I'll wait for Dirt 4.

Wow, mind blown. You're not complaining! Everyone else does, they say what you said but instead of waiting patiently for DiRT 4 they call this the end of the franchise.

Back