Fatal Bug

• Thread starter Japanese
  • 189 comments
Max cluster count 268,435,437 (228-19). Max file size 4,294,967,295 (232−1) bytes. You could Google the reason for -19 or -1.

False, only external drives are limited to Fat32.

What you seem to be referring to is file-size limitation. In which case, Fat32 is limited to 4GB not MB.

Try copy over a file over 4GB without using FTP and let me know if the file show up on the PS3 not as Corrupted Data.

Last edited:
Max cluster count 268,435,437 (228-19). Max file size 4,294,967,295 (232−1) bytes. You could Google the reason for -19 or -1.

Try copy over a file over 4GB without using FTP and let me know if the file show up on the PS3 not as Corrupted Data.

The file-system of the internal PS3 drive is not limited to 4GB files. External drives plugged into the PS3 however are because they are limited to Fat32. This is common knowledge, so what point are you trying to make exactly?

Cluster size and file-system file size limitation are not the same thing.

We are going off-topic here first of all, but have you copied a single game from Blu-Ray disc to the internal HDD using jailbreak and a backup-manager?

Files over 4GB copy just fine and that is not FTP.

What other source would you like me to copy a file from if not the blu-ray or FTP? If you want me to use an external drive, thats the problem right there. External drives connected are limited to Fat32, which is limited to 4GB files.

If you have a chance to look at the file structure inside your PS3, not a single file is large than 4GB (and no, I am not talking about hacking). I went off topic because someone asked the reason of 4xxxKB.

32-bit cluster size... 4KB, 32KB, 512KB... PS3 is not running on DOS or Windows 95.

I am out. Have a nice day.

I took GT5 to a friends house and intsalled it on his PS3. for some reason once installed I checked the museum, game crashed. reststarted, and I get GT home screen but it is constantly forzen, cant use the cursor. Uninstalled GT5 again, and repeated the process once installation was completed. Same gain, game froze, reset, game started but frozone on the home screen. Wierd!!

PS slightly off topic...

Anyone noticed cars handling going from good to bad for no reason, no power, cars veering left orright and unableto turn. We at GBRC are running an online event, using RM silvias and NSX's, and it seems that there is a glitch with RM NSX's, the handling and power just goes to poo randomly, as if you have crashed your car!! its so weired and happend 8 out of 16 in my lobby. also happend to other members of GBRC in lobby 2. I was the first in GBRC to notice this. PD need to release this long awaited update to fix these weird glitches.

If you have a chance to look at the file structure inside your PS3, not a single file is large than 4GB (and no, I am not talking about hacking). I went off topic because someone asked the reason of 4xxxKB.

32-bit cluster size... 4KB, 32KB, 512KB... PS3 is not running on DOS or Windows 95.

There are files over 4GB is size on my 2nd PS3's internal HDD as we speak.

I'll say it again until you grasp it. File size and cluster size are not the same thing. The internal HDD of the PS3 uses a proprietary file system which does indeed accept files over the size of 4GB. The fact that you can copy one via blu-ray, DVD-DL, or even through the media server are proof of that.

Being jailbroken makes no difference to the Internal HDD's file system either.

Last edited:
Keyword: internal. I have 4GB files on Windows 95 too.

Holy.....cow....

The last time I checked my game save is saved to the internal drive there guy :rolleyes:

And the issue here has to do with a 4MB save game. Even "if" the PS3 uses fat32, that is still nowhere near 4GB, which is fat32's normal limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cluster
A cluster is the smallest logical amount of disk space that can be allocated to hold a file.

A DATA CLUSTER IS NOT A FILE.

Last edited:
Holy.....cow....

The last time I checked my game save is saved to the internal drive there guy :rolleyes:

And the issue here has to do with a 4MB save game. Even "if" the PS3 uses fat32, that is still nowhere near 4GB, which is fat32's normal limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cluster
A cluster is the smallest logical amount of disk space that can be allocated to hold a file.

A DATA CLUSTER IS NOT A FILE.

File stored on internal HDD != Internal file structure.

You are right on about data cluster and also on the right track. Continue to read Data Storage (Block), Block Size, and Allocation. It's under "See Also". See those blocks when you defragment your HDD? These blocks in PS3 are 4MB each and PS3 is not going to build these blocks blocks for you all the time. You still understand we are not talking about Windows 95 high level computing that PD can drag/drop/move,copy/paste, right? We are not talking about 0-9, A-Z, we are talking about 0x00000002–0x0FFFFFEF at the end of 1st 4077KB that points to the 2nd 4077KB that ends with 0x0FFFFFF8–0x0FFFFFFF. If you have a 4078K file where there's no pointer to the cluster at the end of the block... The pointers for save file over 4MB are usually intact internally. But once copy over by the one from USB... PS3 throws the tower and said this is bigger than 4MB and should be created in 8x4MB = 32MB allocation (Max volume size), hence error message.

With that said. I am not going to explain low level computing. But seems like you know everything already. 👍

I am done. Not going to check this anymore. For those who need helps shrinking the file size. There are a few things you can try. PM me.

Last edited:
Thank you for reading my poor English.
I am stupid do not know English and FAT32 well.
anyway, I'm anxious all the game does not stop.

Using double-byte characters in Japanese ver
so, the rate of increase may be half size in English version

Just received the cards and cars does not increase much
the problem is the command to open
so, you can read the news
please save to USB as back up before open the news and load after open
or use sub-account for news
[sub-account the best because use back up happens overwritten by mistake]

Museum to operate the same way,
please save to USB as back up before check your cards
and load the back up after check or send
[please be careful to overwritten by mistake]
[and please manage everyday by your PC]

No, thank YOU for warning us of this problem. I think many people didn't realize yet fully what it means. If I understand correctly all that was written here by you and others, it's like this:

ALL GT5 game saves have a "Size Bomb" incorporated in them. So, basically, ALL GT5 game saves in the world are going to die when they reach the designated size (over 4MB).

And ALL GT5 game saves will reach that size simply because the game is being used. You can slow the process by avoiding the Museum and GT TV, but in any case, even if you don't buy cars, or parts, the simple fact that yu play the game will make the save game files grow in size.

Also, if I understood correctly, save game files start (in a fresh game), with a size below 500 kb.

I checked with some friends that bought the game and started playing at the same time as myself (release day). Game save file size is different in all cases, but long gone are the 500 kb, all are at least close to reaching the 1 MB mark. As for myself (A confessed museum card collector) I already have a 2.3 MB save file.

In short, and now for Blade Runner fans, I think we can apply to all our GT5 game saves the famous words of the Rutger Hauer Replicant, maybe with a litle adaptation:

Roy Batty
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain ...

... time to die.

All our GT5 game saves
I've seen races you people wouldn't believe.
Historic cars on fire on the track of Monaco.
I watched high beams glitter in the dark near the Nurburg Castle.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain ...

... time to die.

Sad, but true. Prepare yourselves for the mortality of your game saves.

This is an unbelievably basic error on the part of the development team - sheesh... could GT5 have any more problems if it tried?

If they don't fix this issue soon I can see it being the final nail in the coffin for the series...

Fixing this should be priority number one for PD, because surely this has to fall under some sort of defective product category, lemon law, or something similar.

I'm at the point now, where I don't even want to play my game until I know this has been fixed. :scared:

What good is a game that is destined to stop working one day? :grumpy:

Forget about adding extra game content, PD must focus on fixing this fatal bug ASAP.

You wouldn't be able to make use of any new game content anyway if the eventual outcome of the game is the inability to play it in the first place, so fixing this error must be made a priority.

Last edited:

Using double-byte characters in Japanese ver
so, the rate of increase may be half size in English version

No, thank YOU for warning us of this problem.

Seconded. Thanks to everyone who have warned about this. 👍

Maybe it could be better to play offline as much as possible? I doubt that will really fix the problem, but it might help at least until it is patched (for those that are dangerously close to the 4165 kb limit) - it'll need investigating, first...

WTF. I was going to go check out all my museum cards soon. I've only done it a couple times and the last time I did GT5 froze. I scrolled through them too fast without letting them all "load" and eventually GT5 quit responding.

Thanks for this thread. Why isn't this a news story on GTPLanet?

News could be this:

Caution! GT5 ceases to function if save file becomes too large. (details below)

Would PD pay attention then? Why does PD not make a statement about this?

If PD is actually going to pay any attention to the Feedback section ideas, then this one needs to be a bit higher on the list than what it is:

http://feedback.gtplanet.net/forums...s/1430969-fix-error-0x00000015-217-?ref=title

I just removed 3 of my votes from one idea, and gave it to this one. I hope they're listening.

To avoid a double post, and to keep the conversation here, I'm quoting this from another thread:

The game save issue has been resolved. The problem was only for users who had started playing in a period between two seperate patches and elected to stop game data installing to the hard drive. The cached data then became part of the game save instead.

To resolve the issue you just have to delete your game data file ( not the game save ) and ensure that the game is updated to the most recent version. Alternatively deleting your cache resolves the bug.

Is there anyone close enough to the limit, willing to test this?

Last edited:
There's a thread on it here

Edit : And here.

I've read that thread a few times (as well as a few others here, and the one at the German site).
The OP of that thread was never able to solve the problem, using any method recommended,
and had to start a new game from scratch.

Until someone posts that their save exceeds that 4165kb limit and still functions, I'm probably done with the game.

I can't really see the point of grinding my butt off only to have the game lock up on me. :grumpy:

EDIT: I'm still a little confused as to the proposed solution.

Is the problem from NOT installing the 8 gb of game data during the initial install, or is it something else?

I got this game on Christmas day, installed the entire thing, did the update to 1.05, and then started playing. So is it fine or not? I'm now at 2108kb.

Last edited:
96% of game complete +600 cars , 800kb file , cant understand how you guys have so big save game files

The reason it gets that big seems to be part of the problem.. Reading news and checking out the museum.

I think I'm going to do an experiment doday. I haven't checked out my museum in a long time. I'm going to make note of my game save file size, go into GT5 and check out the museum for a while, read the GT news- look at older GT news, then save game and see what happens to the save game file size.

That should tell me something about this bug right there. I've had GT5 since release.

File stored on internal HDD != Internal file structure.

You are right on about data cluster and also on the right track. Continue to read Data Storage (Block), Block Size, and Allocation. It's under "See Also". See those blocks when you defragment your HDD? These blocks in PS3 are 4MB each and PS3 is not going to build these blocks blocks for you all the time. You still understand we are not talking about Windows 95 high level computing that PD can drag/drop/move,copy/paste, right? We are not talking about 0-9, A-Z, we are talking about 0x00000002–0x0FFFFFEF at the end of 1st 4077KB that points to the 2nd 4077KB that ends with 0x0FFFFFF8–0x0FFFFFFF. If you have a 4078K file where there's no pointer to the cluster at the end of the block... The pointers for save file over 4MB are usually intact internally. But once copy over by the one from USB... PS3 throws the tower and said this is bigger than 4MB and should be created in 8x4MB = 32MB allocation (Max volume size), hence error message.

With that said. I am not going to explain low level computing. But seems like you know everything already. 👍

I am done. Not going to check this anymore. For those who need helps shrinking the file size. There are a few things you can try. PM me.
Where is the faceplam button?

File structure has more to do with file format than data clusters or data blocks. is the way data is structured in a data file.
.doc .avi .jpg are examples of file formats and file structure is merely how the computer knows the difference between them.

At any rate, you were flawed from the get go and I'll show you.
PS3 uses Fat32 file format which has a limitation of 4MB cluster. Your other save files that are bigger than 4MB are actuallt multiple files designed to workaround that environment. Little Big Planet had the same problem at launch.
Simply not true, FAT32 is not limited to 4096KB clusters. It can't even do 4096KB clusters and only supportes up to 64KB clusters (which is still not widely supported even). Heck, even NTFS doesnt even do 4MB cluster size.

You also just confused a cluster with a file size. A file is nothing more than a collection of data clusters, thus it can clearly be larger than the cluster size.

Lastly, the PS3 does not use traditional FAT32. If it did, one could easily hook it up to a computer and browse the contents.

The PS2 used the Playstation File System, which could support 2TB file sizes. If the PS3 uses traditional FAT32, that would be 100 steps backwards.

You even admit it's limited to 4GB file sizes, not 4MB file sizes.

I said it multiple times and you kept ignoring it. It is impossible to even start copying a file over 4GB to the PS3 without using FTP or the optical drive because you can't plug in any storage device to the USB slots that uses a file system more advanced than FAT32. Are you getting this yet? You keep telling me to copy over a file over 4GB, but from where? Nothing you can plug in and browse could have a file over 4GB on it in the first place.

As I already said, I have files inside my PS3 larger than 4GB.
Having a jailbroken PS3 has allowed me to be able to dig into it. I'll repeat this again too, being jailbroken does not change the hard drives file system in anyway, but does indeed give me access to look at it. I'm really curious, if you didnt hack yours, how exactly were you able to get a chance to browse the PS3's drive in full in order to come to your conclusion?

Keyword: internal. I have 4GB files on Windows 95 too.
Any larger than 4GB, if so I'm all ears on how you made this possible on a FAT32 formatted drive :lol:

Last edited:
Right. Let me explain this;

When GT5 starts up it tells you that it installs Game Data to Disc. You can over-ride this but it warns against it.

If you allow it to install the game data you will not be affected by the bug.

When you access news or the museum the game loads the information from either disc or from the net and, to save time, it caches it so that if you want to view it again in future, it will be quicker. However, with those people who had set it not to install to disc the hard drive wasn't available and it tried to put it in the save game data instead.

Do you allow the game to install? Yes - You do not need to worry.

Right. Let me explain this;

When GT5 starts up it tells you that it installs Game Data to Disc. You can over-ride this but it warns against it.

If you allow it to install the game data you will not be affected by the bug.

When you access news or the museum the game loads the information from either disc or from the net and, to save time, it caches it so that if you want to view it again in future, it will be quicker. However, with those people who had set it not to install to disc the hard drive wasn't available and it tried to put it in the save game data instead.

Do you allow the game to install? Yes - You do not need to worry.

this better be the case, because I just bought a PS3. I get GT5 in a week.

Back