Fatal Bug

• Thread starter Japanese
  • 189 comments
I dont get it, why do you keep visiting the musem if thats whats causing your trouble?

Some people like to shoot in the dark or ask their fortuneteller while other people like to verify and proof under which conditions such bugs occur.

I've noticed the save file will increase in size when you back it up, just a heads up.

Example: The save data on my PS3 HDD is 972kb. When I transfer it to my memory stick, it's now 1024kb.

i don't think it does. even though it says your file is 1024kb on the flash drive, when you copy it back onto the ps3 hdd, the file size will still be 972kb

It sadden me that I am wasting time to discuss with another person only knows computer from copy and pasting Wikipedia... The Wiki page of Playstation File System is even more sad... An orphan article created be a person in 2009 with no reference…

As I said, we can talk again once you can program to the PS3 HDD. I am not going to waste any more time on this.

I still think people don't quite realize that, whatever they do or don't do with the game, the save file size only changes one-way. Getting bigger. So, I congratulate all people that still have their save games in low values, but I'll say to all this: It'll get bigger. And it won't stop getting bigger until: a) they stop playing; b) the game dies on them.

So, there IS a problem here. And it is a FATAL one, as the OP stated in this thread's title.

PS - And I really hope PD knows about it and is doing something about it. Maybe what the OP said is true, maybe the japanese players are the ones who suffer this more (and sooner) than anyone else due to their writing characters: Apparently, the germans follow them closely due maybe to a verbose language. Portuguese is also a verbose language so maybe that's why I noticed this abnormality. I guess the simplicity of English may be helping people that have their game in that language.

My file size 1850kb
I have the update installed.
I visit the museum at least once a week and rarely read the news or anything else.
My file has grown a little each day but as you can see by my signature that I am a fair way into the game.
Think I will keep a very close eye on it. Thanks everyone for bringing this to our attention and to those trying to sort it out. 👍 :)

Some people like to shoot in the dark or ask their fortuneteller while other people like to verify and proof under which conditions such bugs occur.

So the limit is definitely "hard", and there's no way to reduce the file size.

Perhaps we could better understand why some people's saves are so much larger than others with comparable car / paint / museum card counts.
I still think the Community features are part of it, somehow - I know most of it is online, but the fact that the Japanese saves use double-byte characters would only apply to any text that needs to be saved, surely?

Anybody with quick access to a second account care to test this by sending a message to "themselves"?

I still think people don't quite realize that, whatever they do or don't do with the game, the save file size only changes one-way. Getting bigger. So, I congratulate all people that still have their save games in low values, but I'll say to all this: It'll get bigger. And it won't stop getting bigger until: a) they stop playing; b) the game dies on them.

Ok. Well how do you explain my save file being 738kb for months then?

It may not be getting smaller but it aint getting bigger either...

BWX
WTF. I was going to go check out all my museum cards soon. I've only done it a couple times and the last time I did GT5 froze. I scrolled through them too fast without letting them all "load" and eventually GT5 quit responding.

Thanks for this thread. Why isn't this a news story on GTPLanet?

News could be this:

Caution! GT5 ceases to function if save file becomes too large. (details below)

Would PD pay attention then? Why does PD not make a statement about this?

I hope Jordan read's this!!!

Ok. Well how do you explain my save file being 738kb for months then?

It may not be getting smaller but it aint getting bigger either...

I have no explanation, but I don't understand how can you say that it isn't getting bigger when a new game save is less than 500 kb in size and "months" is what your game save has. About two I guess ...

I hope Jordan read's this!!!

This issue has been brought to Jordan's attention, even before it was revealed here (remember, the GTRP guys knew about it before GTP). Rest assured, he will do what he thinks best for the Gran Turismo community and especially the GTP one.

I have no explanation, but I don't understand how can you say that it isn't getting bigger when a new game save is less than 500 kb in size and "months" is what your game save has. About two I guess ...

Well that might be because I've vistied the musem and online news a fair bit. At least, isnt that what you guys are claiming? But even so, the save seems reasnably stuck at 738kb and like I said I cant get it to go big.

The reason I seem to going at odds with people in this thread is because I find the contrast with what you guys are experience weird. You guys make it sound like everything is doom and gloom and theres no stopping this file size increase monster which will devour everyone and destroy all gt5 saves, Yet I am trying purposely to mess up my filse size and I cant.

My point is there must be more to this than what is being claimed in the thread.

Anyway I really hope it gets fixed for you guys in the next patch as it sounds like a pain. if its not a widepsread issue, there is a chance it wont be adressed.

Last edited:
It seems that people forget one important thing about this issue. Originaly, the first post talks about bug being triggered only WHEN You enter a Museum for the 14th time + Your save file being 4165kb big. It does not say the bug will be triggered just because You have 4165kb of Savegame....

So, I think there's no fear as long as You don't visit the Museum...

This, from a Moderator. Page #2 in this thread:

The opening post might not be completely according to the AUP, the problem he describes DOES exist. It's also mentioned a few times here at GTP.

To all non-believers, simply google: 0x00000015 [217]. That is the error message that comes along with this problem.

The link to the German GTRP forum Rudi Raser posted, describes the problem the most accurately, but you'll need to speak German to understand.

If you enter the museum, you'll notice the cards need to be loaded when you scroll down. Apparently some of this data becomes part of the game save, could be because of some sort of cache or whatever else. The more new cards you receive, the bigger your game save becomes when you actually watch these cards in the museum. Have to admit I'm not fully up to date, but when the game save file reaches 4165kB, your game won't be able to load anymore.

According to the OP watching the news also increases the game save file size, don't know how much that influences it, but fact is that this is a serious issue for people who actively collect museum cards...

This, from myself. Page #2 in this thread:

Well, I'm a card collector myself, and my collection is pretty much nearing completion (I'd say I have about 95% of all the cards, 100% in a few brands). My save's size (checked it now) is 2326 kb.

Tried to clear the cache (within GT5) and checked again. Same size, not one byte less.

So, clearing the GT5 cache doesn't solve it.

So, to me it is evident that the problem is greatly enhanced by Museum use. Apparently, also by GTTV use (I never used it myself though).

But it has also been said that even non-museum collectors like myself get, although in a lower rate, the increase of their save files' sizes.

But I don't really care. If this game "kills" the saves of the people that uses the Museum (and even if the problem is only there), than the developers (PD) made a poor job, or overlooked what is a major flaw. And they have one of two ways of dealing with it: a) solve the problem; b) take out the museum from the game.

It sadden me that I am wasting time to discuss with another person only knows computer from copy and pasting Wikipedia... The Wiki page of Playstation File System is even more sad... An orphan article created be a person in 2009 with no reference…

As I said, we can talk again once you can program to the PS3 HDD. I am not going to waste any more time on this.

They are called references/sources to back up my claims, something you have yet to do.

How many times are you going to say you wont continue on this, but then come back?

Here let me search for you, now that I've done the first part, find a single article that talks about 4MB or 32MB cluster sizes. Also, lets not forget 8TiB cluster sizes :lol:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...i=&aql=&oq=FAT32+cl&pbx=1&fp=46c434222b5f0e70

Try copy over a file over 4GB without using FTP and let me know if the file show up on the PS3 not as Corrupted Data.
Single file over 4GB, NOT copied via FTP, and NOT showing up as corrupted data. Here you go!
Photo-0001.jpeg

Last edited:
Been playing since December 2nd, installed data from day one, updated same day patches came out, visited museum a few times, checked news only when a new one was posted, 1189 days played, A33 B35, 613 cars, 97% of game completed, 787 paint chips, 463 museum cards, 77% of trophies.

Backed up my game.
Save file size: 1354 KB
Looked at museum cards for Lotus only, saved, exited: 1357 KB
I have now reloaded my backed up save: 1354 KB
Emptied the cache: still 1354 KB

I'm not in danger yet but PD better fix this ASAP. I surely won't use my game to read the news, nor check the museum ever again until a patch fixes this. I actually like the museum feature, learned a few things in there.

Last edited:
96% of game complete +600 cars , 800kb file , cant understand how you guys have so big save game files

My numbers are about the same as yours (96% complete, 350 cars, 400 paint chips, A30 B40, $14M, 70% of the museum cards, 900 days and about 900KB file). I have been in the museum plenty of times.

One thing I have not done is dupe anything. Perhaps it has something to do with duping? Maybe there is some extra data connected with cars that exponentially grows as dupes are made?

Is there anyone who has encountered this bug that has not duped anything?

I'm around 90%.

Save file is 684kb.

Only gone into the museum once and looked at one card to see what the deal was. Pointless so never went there again.

Single file over 4GB, NOT copied via FTP, and NOT showing up as corrupted data. Here you go!

I can verify this also, I transfer large media files over network to local drive occasionally if they won't fit onto an external FAT32 drive with 4GB limitation. The internal drive uses a proprietary encrypted file system that has not been disclosed by Sony, but it is capable of storing files over 4GB. Now if they would just add Ext3 support, PS3 would be the perfect all around home media solution.

Single file over 4GB, NOT copied via FTP, and NOT showing up as corrupted data. Here you go![/IMG]

Again, when someone ask for your file structure, he’s not asking where you put your Justin Bieber MP3 nor how big they are. Read File Allocation Table on Wiki where you’ve been getting your info from. Pay close attention to design overview and data region.

Open the over 4MB Parma.SFO with your favorite editor. Compare to the one copy to the memory stick and notice the file's chain is missing. Also notice the file chain is around 4MB after the last logical break. Won't be hard to look for something if you know what you are looking for. Hint, or do a compare.

Try it, let me know if you disagree with the root cause of this bug. Another hint, connect the HDD to a Linux OS with tools you can find on the internet.

I have to admit I had a typo a few post before. 32-bit, minimum cluster 4 Byte.

Why isn't this front page news?!? As pointed out in the OP, the problem is easily reproducible and affects all game saves. The process is accelerated by using GT5's museum feature or the news section, but even when those are avoided GT5's game saves keep growing with each and every game session (I just tested with fresh installs) until they reach a file size of 4,165KB - at which point the game refuses to load them and the data is permanently lost.

TL,DR:

GT5 v1.05 has a fatal bug that continuously increases the file size of all game saves until they are no longer readable by the game, at which point you will lose all game progress!

Well this is a bummer. My save size is 650kb ish, and I've checked the museum a few times, as well as the news and GT-TV. I also back up my save once every couple of days since 26/1/11. And yes, I dupe every so often. So in three weeks, my save has gone up 150kb.

So, doing some basic math...
4190 ish /150 =28 lots of three weeks=502.8 days. A year and a half.

And after reading this, I won't go in the Museum anymore. so...two years. By which time I will be done with this game. If not, I'm screwed! :scared:

GT5 v1.05 has a fatal bug that continuously increases the file size of all game saves until they are no longer readable by the game, at which point you will lose all game progress!

Kaz
“It would make me happy to see a game that really makes you think about how a person should live and how they should come to terms with death,” ...

Maybe you found the mimesis, or whatever, he wants to call it, for sudden driver death to mirror reality? So not really bug, enhanced feature of Kaz's vision for things to come. 💡

Last edited:
Again, when someone ask for your file structure, he’s not asking where you put your Justin Bieber MP3 nor how big they are. Read File Allocation Table on Wiki where you’ve been getting your info from. Pay close attention to design overview and data region.

Open the over 4MB Parma.SFO with your favorite editor. Compare to the one copy to the memory stick and notice the file's chain is missing. Also notice the file chain is around 4MB after the last logical break. Won't be hard to look for something if you know what you are looking for. Hint, or do a compare.

Try it, let me know if you disagree with the root cause of this bug. Another hint, connect the HDD to a Linux OS with tools you can find on the internet.

I have to admit I had a typo a few post before. 32-bit, minimum cluster 4 Byte.
You must really like Justin Bieber :lol:

Please back up a single thing you have said. I'm starting to think you are now confusing sector, cluster, or data structure for file structure.

Just one typo, I'm pretty sure FAT32 - File Allocation Table 32-bit. 32-bit means cluster can be from 8TiB to 32MB was a "typo" as well, wasn't it?

I'll perform your new "task to prove me wrong" just as soon as you.....
Care to explain me and others having files over 4GB on our PS3 that was copied over and not corrupted as you said it would be multiple times? I'll be waiting...

The error message itself for this bug is flawed. This can happen on a computer as well for some programs that have trouble computing the free space available. That is the programs fault, not the file systems. So stay with me.....the error is not related to the PS3 itself, but is a problem with GT5.

my game file size is 833kb
315 cars, 437 paints, 37 horns, 20 gift tickets
96% completion
game day 2179
I have looked at 1, maybe 2 museum cards since i got the game

from my experience, pictures nor replays are part of the game save file, but rather part of the game data. Advancing race days does not automatically increase the save file size.

Even if game saves aren't suppose to go over the 4mb range, the fact that it makes the game unplayable is a serious flaw on the part of PD. I have a ton of save files from other games that are well over the 4mb range and work just fine. i see no reason why gt5 can't be the same way

Can I ask why I this hasnt happened to me? Ive used the museem plentty of times, and go into the news sections heaps as well. My save is around 740kb around day 700, with around 250 cars. Is that normal, high , low? Is it meant to be 400kb if I didnt go in these sections, even now?

I dont get how you can recreate this bug with normal use.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178287&page=6#post4811849
Before: 854kb
AFTER:1010kb

I just proved how and I only looked at half of my museum. SCROLL down the entire page of museum cards - even the ones with no museum cards there. Maybe that's how it happens?

Also I never dupe..

737days
A-Spec Level 30
B-Spec Level 23
Game Progress 75 %
Current Credits 6,664,537
Total Wins 337
No. of Cars Owned 268
Trophies Earned 47 %
Total Distance Driven 16,634.0 km

I havr used GTTV a few times, watched all free content. Gave away one car, never received any gift cars. There is a huge problem and it's only going to get worse.

I hope Jordan puts this as front page news so it gets more attention and a fix from PD.

Last edited:
Holy...

Thanks to the OP for creating this thread!

I am collecting the cards and I look everyday into the museum and my save is no around 1800 KB. I allways wondered why it increased so much in the last few weeks when I started to look often into the museum.

This has to be absolutely priority number one @ PD!

Imho this serious news has to be on top on every GT related site. Heck even on any games related site imho. This is dead serious.

It took them six years to get a half baked game to market, it'll probably take another six months for the half baked patch that fixes some of it; this included.

Yesterday I found out that other things aswell as the Museum Cards can cause your file size to go up.:( Looking at any cars you haven't looked at before raises it, looking at picture mode locations you haven't used before does also, from what I've seen, everytime "installing" shows up at the bottom left of the screen the save file size increases.

Also if you copy your save to another location, that save file will be bigger than the original, as such, restoring that file increases the save file size too.

Last edited:
Last night's report:

1 - Before starting the game: save file size 2.332 kb (I guess by now you know I have been an active user of the museum for over a month, but if you want to know more about it, check this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=421 )

2 - Started the game;

3 - Got the warning about 10 new museum cards and 5 paints

4 - Entered the museum just to check the totals per brand (by now I know what I want to see there just by the numbers) and left without checking any cards

5 - Got a gift from a friend (sent me a set of Racing soft tyres)

6 - Did the Seasonal events. F10 first, then the FF with a Lupo cup car; then the FR with some other car from my garage (can't remember); then the 4WD with the Lancia Delta HF. Didn't buy any parts, didn't change oils, nothing.

7 - Checked the UCD and noticed a RX7 Ameniya that is from a different year from the one you can buy new. Checked the new one to be sure and once I was sure they were differnet cars, bought the one from the UCD.

8 - Quit the game

9 - Checked the save game file size: 2.399 kb

Yep ... my game is a Blade Runner Replicant. Some day, it'll be time to die.

97% Complete
Play time: 1135
Current Credits: Cr.18,006,307
Game Save Data: 3808KB (was 3748KB 24hrs ago)

I guess im knocking on Death's door :(

Back