General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments
Try this with Captain America, maybe you will get a hint.
st.light, st.medium, foward heavy, launcher, jump, j.light, j. medium, direction+S.It could be the timing of the your hitting between the normal or TAC.
"To do a Team Aerial Combo, you launch an opponent into the air, hit them with 3 hits or so, then press a direction+Special button. This creates an attack where, if it connects, you tag out to one of your other teammates to come in and continue the combo, and you'll also gain some meter (except on Upward exchanges). You can do this one more time to create a combo with all 3 of your characters and gain some meter for Hypers."

Last edited:
Being used to the SNES version, I saw a video of the arcade version of Killer Instinct on YouTube. A big difference between the two is some of the more detailed levels. Some of the views of some of the levels (like Cinder's stage or Orchid's stages for instance) have a nice rotational landscape like with the first Virtua Fighter. The action was still plenty good- just like the SNES version. I kind of wouldn't mind playing Killer Instinct again. Jago was my man in the series.

Does it become a little easier using a fight still with UMVC3 or is the sixaxis good? Also I find it impossible to connect the second Air M attack with Sentinel mission 7 if someone knows that one. It seems simple enough but I just can't make it work...

Try this with Captain America...
Thanks, I think it might have been because the attack didn't connect. Also I'm sure it doesn't require "three hits or so" normal attacks to get to TAC, only one is needed.

Last edited:
Dead or Alive 5. Worth it?

If so, do I go Ultimate or that Core Fighters thing? I don't really understand much other than the CF being free.

Does it become a little easier using a fight still with UMVC3 or is the sixaxis good? Also I find it impossible to connect the second Air M attack with Sentinel mission 7 if someone knows that one. It seems simple enough but I just can't make it work...

Thanks, I think it might have been because the attack didn't connect. Also I'm sure it doesn't require "three hits or so" normal attacks to get to TAC, only one is needed.
It could be your timing.. Though it is a user preference on controller style.

Dead or Alive 5. Worth it?

If so, do I go Ultimate or that Core Fighters thing? I don't really understand much other than the CF being free.
Core Fighters features four playable characters (Kasumi, Ayane, Hayate and Ryu) and almost all of the game's modes, whilst additional playable characters (for $4 each) and the game's Story Mode (for $15) may purchased separately as DLC (Core Fighters is compatible with DLC costumes from DOA5, but comes with no free additional costumes[7]). The digital version has only been announced for PlayStation 3, with an Xbox 360 release slated as 'possible'.[39][40]

Just buy Ultimate.

Yeah I watched that video too. I just have too keep trying I guess. I'm planning on learning Wolverine/Capt. America/Sentinel for my first team and will probably stick to that until I become somewhat comfortable. I suck as it is now. Is that a workable/decent setup? I don't wanna play Akuma.

Wolverine doesn't seem like a top character but I think he's cool, seems reasonably straightforward and I read he's good for learning combos.
Captain America because I like his moves and seems to have good ranged combat and is another combo archetype so I get to learn that. Also he should have decent assists for Wolverine, right?
Sentinel because, he seems to be able do dish out great damage and, again, he's another chain combo archetype so I get to learn that and his slower moves.

I sat in a lobby and watched some outrageous matches yesterday. I wish I could play like that. Too bad it seems like there are no newcomers like me and not even that many players in total. None in my region at all...

Last edited:

Yeah I watched that video too. I just have too keep trying I guess. I'm planning on learning Wolverine/Capt. America/Sentinel for my first team and will probably stick to that until I become somewhat comfortable. I suck as it is now. Is that a workable/decent setup? I don't wanna play Akuma.

Wolverine doesn't seem like a top character but I think he's cool, seems reasonably straightforward and I read he's good for learning combos.
Captain America because I like his moves and seems to have good ranged combat and is another combo archetype so I get to learn that. Also he should have decent assists for Wolverine, right?
Sentinel because, he seems to be able do dish out great damage and, again, he's another chain combo archetype so I get to learn that and his slower moves.

I sat in a lobby and watched some outrageous matches yesterday. I wish I could play like that. Too bad it seems like there are no newcomers like me and not even that many players in total. None in my region at all...

If you want to extend your combos, I think Cap's shield slash would be best. Sentinel dishes out great damage but he has a low life and armor. ( Rocket punch to extend, Forward drones to give cover as assist)

IMO, UMVC3 doesn't matter who your team is, just how you play.

Last edited:
I remember when I played "Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2" and saw some of the Super Street Fighter II Turbo videos. One thing that is so intriguing is how well people strategize gaming... even down to individual frames of sprites! You people would easily beat me if we were to have some fight online or old school (as is non-online multiplayer- like being at an arcade against me). I am not THAT adept in regards to fighting games, but it is certainly interesting to find all the different ways you can win in a fighting game.

I guess one thing I've really struggled with in regards to Street Fighter games is usually with the charge moves. I thought about this when I think of some of the moves of Guile and Vega (as in the Vega with the claws and the metal mask). I could never do any of those charge supers except the ones that go in backward-forward-backward + Punch-3X or Kick-3X. Like for example, I don't think I've ever done Guile's Double Somersault Kick Super attack. Also, I've never really used characters like Zangief. So I can't say that I've properly executed full circle attacks. I probably just need more practice on those things.

Everyone is a different level of gamer no matter what the genre. I'm just more someone who loves a good fight and loves to fight. I'm not really too strategic in battle. I just go.

Frames only come to play later on. I first get my combos down then I try to figure out which normal I can use as a poke. I first learned on this tutorial:

The more I played 3s, the more I wanted to play different people. I was still pretty good at using the arcade stick because of playing:Soul Calibur II, Tekken series, and the Marvel series. It was just a matter of time that I actually sat down and focus at one game....then came SF4, where I started to play a bit more seriously. My cousin showed me OHT's video on frame data.

Last edited:
Just tried out Ultra Street Fighter IV's Upload to Youtube feature. It allows you to directly upload your battle videos to YouTube. Just make sure don't set your battle timers to Infinite.

Uploaded 2 videos so far:

and

I couldn't register my xbox so I really can't upload anything, at most my battles are like this:

(I am always losing)

Just tried out Ultra Street Fighter IV's Upload to Youtube feature. It allows you to directly upload your battle videos to YouTube. Just make sure don't set your battle timers to Infinite.

You can't record matches if you set timer on infinite anyway.

Let's see you fight some real people though. ;)

@nk4e, No, she doesn't know what she is talking about. On top of that, all of the games mentioned are for the previous generation, so she has no credibility whatsoever. If the list really included the top 10 fighting games, like the title of the video really says, the list would include titles like Melee, King of Fighters 13, something that is glaringly omitted, King of Fighters 2002 (something that is still played today in some parts of the world), Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Third Strike, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Guilty Gear XXAC to name a handful.

Drunk2King vs AmSA

=====================
I think only KOF02 is still being played in Asia and some parts of Mexico. But those were her favorite ones and sadly she lost in Vanilla SFIV.

Any tips on how to improve my game in general? Like I want to leave the world of casuals in fighting games as I have grown sick of racing and shooting.

ABP
Any tips on how to improve my game in general? Like I want to leave the world of casuals in fighting games as I have grown sick of racing and shooting.

Pro tip 1# Don't Give up.

I agree with this. I'm a total newb with fighting-games but I've been practicing a lot with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 this summer and reading up on mechanics and at the start I was fairly uncomfortable doing some basic special attacks and last night I cleared my first mission 7 with Storm, and I basically got Wolverine no 7 down too, so I'm definitely improving thanks to practicing. And it helped me to take breaks. Maybe I put down the game with some frustration, but often the next day it's fun again and I can see the combo I failed with new eyes or renewed understanding because I read about something. It's like I improve while sleeping on it. :)

So yeah, practice seems to be the top thing.

I agree with this. I'm a total newb with fighting-games but I've been practicing a lot with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 this summer and reading up on mechanics and at the start I was fairly uncomfortable doing some basic special attacks and last night I cleared my first mission 7 with Storm, and I basically got Wolverine no 7 down too, so I'm definitely improving thanks to practicing. And it helped me to take breaks. Maybe I put down the game with some frustration, but often the next day it's fun again and I can see the combo I failed with new eyes or renewed understanding because I read about something. It's like I improve while sleeping on it. :)

So yeah, practice seems to be the top thing.
You might get frustrated on the whole top tiers bracket but just practice on what works with you and your
synergy.
20_umvc3ratiotourney.jpg

What are those numbers for? I don't think I will care about them anyhow, I will play and explore different characters I feel like for fun. I find looking at constructs other people made takes the fun out of things.

Coming to Japanese arcade in 2015.
That sounds too far away, but as it is a fighting game, I think it is reasonable to assume that we will get a western release some time after that, right?

RIGHT? :nervous:

Back