General Model Kit Building Thread

Nah I got some free time since I am on vacation so I could get mildly challenging kit, I was thinking along the lines of a 964 or 993 Porsche RS but I don't seem to find any so a GT-R R32 could be a nice secondary choice or an NSX but I haven't seen any NSX models. I would go to my local hobby shop but usually what they have there is only some revell muscle car kits which I'm not too interested in, though I could go check since they have some interesting Fujimi kits once in a while.

I've been looking for an R32 GTR model also. Tamiya, Aoshima, and Fujimi all have one. Best one is Tamiya, then Aoshima, and lastly Fujimi.

I've been looking for an R32 GTR model also. Tamiya, Aoshima, and Fujimi all have one. Best one is Tamiya, then Aoshima, and lastly Fujimi.

I did not like the last Fujimi kit I built. The fit was not as good as it should have been and the parts were fragile. I think I would also go with the Tamiya kit. Also, a question: Should I put it toggether and then paint it or should I paint parts individually if it comes separately?

Did you just say "fragile parts"? :scared: Fragile parts + 11 year old kid= something broken. I wonder how the my Fujimi Koenig Ferrari will handle me...

SVX
Did you just say "fragile parts"? :scared: Fragile parts + 11 year old kid= something broken. I wonder how the my Fujimi Koenig Ferrari will handle me...

I just remember breaking some suspension bits and one of the tires ended up being unable to move. I gotta say it's partly my fault, the kit was nice and had great potential, but it was just too complicated in all the wrong places and contained some very small pieces. For example, the rear lights came painted but the small (and by this I mean about 1mm long and like half a mm wide) indicators just couldn't be manipulated well enough by me so I ended up not using them. I also hadn't mastered the use of glue so there were a few messes. The only thing I was proud of was the job I did with the interior and some of the smaller decals. The paint job wasn't very good either, but one learns from the mistakes made.

I did not like the last Fujimi kit I built. The fit was not as good as it should have been and the parts were fragile. I think I would also go with the Tamiya kit. Also, a question: Should I put it toggether and then paint it or should I paint parts individually if it comes separately?

Depends on the parts. You should think ahead. If you paint parts and then glue them you can't use the glue that melts the plastic (can't remember what it's called exactly), so the ideal thing would be if you could glue everything and then paint the parts. But often this doesn't work as it makes painting some parts impossible, so take a good look at the instruction sheet, do some dry fitting and see what you can paint now and what you can paint later.

Here is a few 1/24 Tamiya models I have made.

P3250014.jpg

R89Cflat.jpg

Allcars.jpg

XanaviGTRR347tamiya.jpg

IMG_8530.jpg

This one is still unfinished on the inside
CopyofIMG_8922.jpg

My Dad made this last one.
CopyofIMG_8929.jpg

Last edited:
When painting models do yall use an airbrush for everything including small parts (like engine parts, etc.) or do you use a brush for the small stuff and then airbrush the interior and stuff and then spray the body?

After watching this video:
I became interested in that model, so it may be that one, but since I already have a Porsche I'm leaning towards a GT-R or maybe a Ferrari 550 or 575 could look nice with the Porsche. Then again, I do have one which is the body for a Mini-Z but an actual model in the same color with all the detail and a body would look very good. Here is a picture of the 930 with the Ferrari Mini-Z body:
img2224me.jpg

Is that a 911 RSR? If it is I might have that one.

Is that a 911 RSR? If it is I might have that one.

Mine is the 88 turbo Tamiya kit and the one in the video is a 993 GT2 road going car.
I won't be getting any plastic models for now since I'm gonna paint a recently acquired 1/18 Porsche turbo. Ill post that in the scale model thread

hai again
um I'm on the wheel step and I'm following the directions but the wheels keep coming off
any help
It's the 360 modena spider if that's any useful:)

hai again
um I'm on the wheel step and I'm following the directions but the wheels keep coming off
any help
It's the 360 modena spider if that's any useful:)
What is the wheel assembly like? Maybe you need to glue some of the pieces?

I'm in the progress of building my first kit: A Revell Ferrari 458. I only have a primer and flat black and red paint.

I been looking to buy a model, but I want something a little bigger so it has a lot of detail.
what size would you guys recomend? Any good model companies.

Almost any scale can be detailed, its all up to the maker. I think there are some decent 1/18 and 1/12 kits out there, but you'll probably be paying some money for them.

1/24 scale is fine. Has more options such as wheels, decals, and vehicles.

Here are some HellFlush models. Not mine of course.

p3.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

p7.jpg

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

sam2097.jpg

sam2098.jpg

sam2104.jpg

sam2105.jpg

sam2108.jpg

1/24 scale is fine. Has more options such as wheels, decals, and vehicles.

Here are some HellFlush models. Not mine of course.

p2.jpg

Thats one heavy bike, its made the suspension collapse!

Cool model though!

Here are my first 3 attempts at model making, I'm still learning the tips and techniques. I went for these revell 1/24 as they were cheap kits, ive got a few tamiya 1/20 Mclaren kits to do now.

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

I was wondering what all of you are using to seal your decals?

I wanted to get some Tamiya clear coat but all the cans say on the top do not spray on decals and stickers

I was wondering what all of you are using to seal your decals?

I wanted to get some Tamiya clear coat but all the cans say on the top do not spray on decals and stickers

Hmm I've never seen it say that on the Tamiya clear coat cans. I use it on my models without trouble.

Hmm I've never seen it say that on the Tamiya clear coat cans. I use it on my models without trouble.

ztempIHsTcq.jpg

That is why I'm worried about my decals. Are you using Tamiya clear coat on models with tons of decals (like racecars) or just the odd manufacturer badge?

Also I presume TS Clearcoats plays nice with other Tamiya TS basecoasts right?

You can use the clear coat on stickers, but I would apply some misty coats to be sure.

Also, I'm currently finishing one of my models, but I have a problem. On certain parts of the model the paint won't stick. Everywhere else it's fine, but on two or so parts it refuses to stick. I primed it and cleaned it in soapy water, but when I paint it and wait for it to dry I test it with some masking tape. I stick it on and pull it off and the paint comes off. :grumpy:

Should I sand it a bit with a fine sandpaper?

Latest Posts

Back