General Model Kit Building Thread

ztempIHsTcq.jpg

That is why I'm worried about my decals. Are you using Tamiya clear coat on models with tons of decals (like racecars) or just the odd manufacturer badge?

Also I presume TS Clearcoats plays nice with other Tamiya TS basecoasts right?

I can't find my clear coat cans now but I've never had any trouble with spraying over decals. It's a good way of making them stick permanently. I've never heard my dad speak negatively of it either, and he's been a modeler for 40 or so years.

I would however check out some modeling forums just to be sure.

Just checked mine. They do indeed say that. But like Encyclopedia said. There should be no problem if you don't drown the model with it. A couple of light coats and you'll be fine.

Fancy Tamiya creating a clear coat that you shouldn't use with decals! :grumpy: 99.9% of plastic kits will have decals!

I could just risk it and do light coats but I'm scared the decals might melt, they wouldn't say not to specifically on the can for no reason. I don't really know what to do.

Well you could try it on a decal you don't need. Most decal sheets come with the name of the manufacturer on one side. Stick that on something and try it. I'm certain that it won't melt.

Well you could try it on a decal you don't need. Most decal sheets come with the name of the manufacturer on one side. Stick that on something and try it. I'm certain that it won't melt.

Yeah I will definitely try the excess decal bits on a test piece of plastic with any clear coat I get. Fingers crossed :ill:

I have another quick question, is it really necessary to put down primer on plastic models? If you clean them with soap (and they have a matt finish anyway) can't you just spray the base coat straight on?

Thanks,

Robin.

No, you don't really need primer. I would however sand it a bit, but make sure that the sandpaper is smooth enough. I found out that paint doesn't really hide the marks very werll the hard way.

No problem. Don't forget to thoroughly clean it after sanding. I also found that out the hard way.

You can use the clear coat on stickers, but I would apply some misty coats to be sure.

Also, I'm currently finishing one of my models, but I have a problem. On certain parts of the model the paint won't stick. Everywhere else it's fine, but on two or so parts it refuses to stick. I primed it and cleaned it in soapy water, but when I paint it and wait for it to dry I test it with some masking tape. I stick it on and pull it off and the paint comes off. :grumpy:

Should I sand it a bit with a fine sandpaper?

I always wash in soap and water, then wipe dry, then light sand with super fine grit, then wash with soap and water again and towel dry. Should remove your problem, and if not, then you have some super strong tape. :lol:

And I've always sprayed clear coat over decals, and by decals, I mean all my JGTC, WRC, ETC...

I usually have the same process as SRV2LOW4ME, always sand everything with VERY fine sandpaper (water based) to remove imperfections, molding marks and provide a better surface for paint to adhere.

As far as spraying decals with clear, I'd always test on non-used decals from that very same model. Plus, always be sure to spray very light coats, almost like a mist at a time, so it builds very slowly and doesn't attack the decals.
I only spray heavier (and still light) coats once the decals have been fully covered, and even still, I keep expecting the worst.

I'm building a model of my uncle's '70 Camaro drag car:
DSCN0187.jpg

And I've started using a bone stock AMT '70 1/2 Camaro, which means A LOT of scratchbuilding.

Robin. As the guys have said you should be fine using Tamiya's clear coat over over decals. I would heed the advice of testing with an unneeded decal first though if you are concerned about it. I always clear coat my models (decaled or not) mostly using Tamiya clear. Thing is for me I mix it myself and use an airbrush and have never ever had any problems.
As others have said mist it on first and then build up to heavier coats, in the end if you put lots on that's good, I would imagine I wear away about three coats in the cutting and polishing process.

I'll often read this thread but it can annoy me at times because I just don't have the time I would like for modelling at the moment. Last time I counted I had thirteen 1/20th Tamiya F1 kits I haven't even opened yet. :grumpy:

Cheers Shaun.

Hey fellow modelers. I'm new to this part of the forum, but I have built several models as a teenager, mostly muscle cars, a couple of trucks, but hardly any were done well. I did have a '57 Impala and a '70 Chevelle that were pretty decent, but believe it or not, they don't hold up very well to water. :)

Anyways, I suddenly got the urge to get back into it and I am currently working on a Revell 2006 Budweiser #8 Monte Carlo. I've been having it for years and figured I might as well take my time with this one and try to get it right. I want to get the paint and decals done as perfect as I can on this one because the next one I plan to tackle is the Tamiya Calsonic Impul GTR (R35), or the Tamiya Sauber Mercedes C9.

The Budweiser Monte Carlo has some detail in the cockpit but some pieces are not matching up perfectly and some have alot of extra plastic molding on them. I am really looking forward to either of the Tamiya models. Any preferences from anyone who has built one of these two?

Tamiya makes top quality models, and if you find anything wrong with fitment that takes you more than 5 seconds to fix while building it than check the box again because it probably doesn't say Tamiya.

I have the Tamiya Calsonic Impul GTR R34 in my model room right now, but haven't built it yet. I can say however that the model does look great and the stickers shouldn't be much of a problem. If you do have concerns though, get the C9...you shouldn't have any problem with the stickers on that.

Yeah id did not have even one problem with my Tamiya model. I did have some with the Fujimi one but that was also dues to my lack of experience

Yea, I'm definitely going with a Tamiya the next go round. Leaning towards the Calsonic GTR.

I am having fun with the NASCAR car though. So far, I got the engine assembled and have everything painted except the body. Might tape it down and do the lower black part of it this weekend. Got it sanded down and ready to go. Been spending some time on the interior trying to detail it as much as possible. I spent over an hour last night with toothpicks. Never realized how long it takes. :lol: Happy with the result though.

I don't recall seeing any NASCAR models in this thread. Would anyone like for me to post the pictures of it when I'm done? I ask because it doesn't seem like there is much love for these cars around here. :scared: Wishing there were some in here so I can get some ideas. We need some more pictures!

Bought my first model in years, just felt like building one:
RR7241.jpg

Rear suspension is done, pics to follow...

I made the mp4-20, its a good model, the gold decals, on the suspension, are really good. The car finishes off especially well when applying enamel to it, to give it a shine.

I am in the process of doing one of these, its a 1/20 scale, but we havent got one of them threads!

tamiya_mclaren-mercedes-boxtop.jpg

Finished this up a while back, it's the Nissan Pathfinder kit made by Aoshima that I converted to a 1989 3-door model with lift kit. I used the kit wheels and added a set of tires from Ma's Resin.
SDC11345.jpg

SDC11347.jpg

SDC11348.jpg

SDC11343.jpg

I'm surprised there mate. After a couple of failures with the coating and now it looks like a car made to perfection in just one try. Fantastic job mate! Beautiful work :cheers:

Far from perfection I'm afraid.
The pictures don't show off the errors I made. Especially on the rear of the car.
Pictures making the thing look better. That's a first. :P

Back