General Model Kit Building Thread

I finished a Supra and a Skyline a few days ago(originally was a Top Secret Skyline that I messed up and decided to finish it my way). In a way, I just started modeling. I'll try to some other pictures to show.

heres a few ive got finish'd
from left to right
nigel mansells 93 champ car, 49 ford coupe, Subaro Impreza WRC , Testarossa, rt/10 viper, '70 Dodge Challenger, lapd camaro.
also trying to finish a '69 dodge charger and a Genral lee a '41 woody and a '56 ford vic and a '99 silverado chevy pickup. I would love to say a '69 ford mustang hardtop but i cant find/buy one (not the fast back style).

Attachments

• 24cars.jpg
    24cars.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 62
I'm liking the '49 Ford. It looks pretty good (as do the rest of the models), but I think it would look awesome as a custom.

the the unfinish'd ones are all custom the '41 woody looks killer (once its painted), '56 vic has suicide doors that open, right hand drive, Genral lee has fix'd back window.
Thanks, everyone likes the '49, i didnt do much to it as it look'd nice stock (old school grill and rear wheels covers) i'd love to buy the real thing...

oohh, that Impreza looks tasty. It looks like the Impreza has got quite a few stickers missing if its a rally car, you might as well remove the rest, i think it will look much better. You got any more pics of that Charger btw?

I found some brake fluid yesterday but not much so i just need a container that fits the car comfortably and ill try it tonight while I've got some free time.

oohh, that Impreza looks tasty. It looks like the Impreza has got quite a few stickers missing if its a rally car, you might as well remove the rest, i think it will look much better. You got any more pics of that Charger btw?

I found some brake fluid yesterday but not much so i just need a container that fits the car comfortably and ill try it tonight while I've got some free time.

I didnt add all the decals, champ car is missing decals the wheels ones and a few wing ones. only these ill work on some better pics camera probs(fuji s9500)

Attachments

• 001chg.jpg
    001chg.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 002chg.jpg
    002chg.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 21

Subaru Impreza WRC '99 done. If only rally cars came in black. I like how it turned out.

Yea, it looks very nice 👍
The gold on the wheels look really good. Did you paint them or did they come like that because mine were ready painted gold so i didn't bother but they look dull:grumpy:

Well, I decided i've hung around here too long without sharing some of my own work, so heres some of my latest.
If you notice any mistakes, just ignore them, I know they're there, and yes, it makes me mad. (Too much of a perfectionist sometimes :indiff:)

camaro71wz6.jpg

206frontleft21ve8.jpg

206side41py8.jpg

206side231yu7.jpg

206back11gu7.jpg

911front61oe8.jpg

911back51mx6.jpg

subarufront111qg4.jpg

subaruback101yx6.jpg

tomssupra161oc3.jpg

superbeefront131oz0.jpg

superbeeside151nz7.jpg

superbeeback121zo7.jpg

mustangsuperbeeengines81qu0.jpg

superbeemustang141vo3.jpg

mustangsuperbeefronttop91dy7.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pictures, I still haven't learned everything about this camera.

Mistakes!? You think you made mistakes? Those are amazing!

I've got that same Super Bee! Except I did it in Yellow and used the Rallye wheels.

waw super nice
SRV2LOW4ME what model/ year is the dodge? it looks like a charger but never seen that body before
Sorry about the blurry pictures, I still haven't learned everything about this camera.
my rotten camera is now at the shop being fixed :(

Thanks for the good reviews! My next project is the 1993 Castrol Celica Monte Carlo Rally winner by Tamiya, i'll try to post some pics of it when i'm done.

Streetsmell - I believe its a 1969 Dodge Superbee by Revell (someone correct me if i'm wrong, I no longer have the box). Its a pretty decent kit for the price, being able to be made in street or pro street trim. The pieces fit pretty good, and the model went together smoothly for the most part. 👍

Streetsmell - I believe its a 1969 Dodge Superbee by Revell (someone correct me if i'm wrong, I no longer have the box). Its a pretty decent kit for the price, being able to be made in street or pro street trim. The pieces fit pretty good, and the model went together smoothly for the most part. 👍

I honestly never want to touch another Revell kit. I finished a Mustang Cobra SVT by Revell and the complexity and confusing directions drove me nuts. Your WRC Focus is awesome.

Slick Rick
Yea, it looks very nice
The gold on the wheels look really good. Did you paint them or did they come like that because mine were ready painted gold so i didn't bother but they look dull

Mine were blue, used Testor's 1244 Metallic Gold.

SRV, is that the '88 Porsche by Tamiya?
I've got one sitting in a box, waiting to be assembled. How was it to build?

Slicks - Yeah, its made by Tamiya. It was a decent build, but my only complaint was the lack of detail and pieces. Its an older kit, and I think the entire model was only 25 pieces. I actually ended up adding an old radar scanner (pictured on the dash) and an old 90's style car phone that I had in my piece bin to make up for the missing detail on the chassis (eg. no suspension). :indiff:

I honestly never want to touch another Revell kit. I finished a Mustang Cobra SVT by Revell and the complexity and confusing directions drove me nuts. Your WRC Focus is awesome.

Thats not the 99' Mustang by any chance??:nervous:

Wow, theri wicked SRV2LOW4ME. I think if you paint the wheel nuts with a fine brush on the peugeot rally car it would finish it off nicely

A '69 waw
If Revell had Tamiya clean and easy fitting casts, that would be a nice model
testors is 1 brand ill never buy again, right now, untill i change my mind that is, the Testarossa and f40, which is in bits were the worst kits i ever did. In my pic you can just see the boot lid not fitting right. But its got the best paint i ever did

I think if you paint the wheel nuts with a fine brush on the peugeot rally car it would finish it off nicely

Consider it done. I'm actually holding off on doing it because my silver is almost empty, and the last little bit never paints right. Unfortuantly my hobby shop is 45 mins away, so I don't get a chance to go out there too often. :indiff:

Streetsmell - Its actually not that bad of a kit. Aside from the 2 engine pieces needing some shaving in order to match up, it went together smoothly. I've had some Revell kits that were complete murder, like pieces being almost an inch away from where they should meet up and such (eg. Revell Daytona model was complete hell with its engine and hoses). It takes a little extra work to make look presentable, but as long as you test fit before you glue its usually not that big of a problem.

Did the Porsche 911 Turbo have an engine btw?? If so could you post some pics of it please. The engine is my favorite part of these 1/24's.

The brake fluid worked a treat!!
Just gotta find an old toothbrush, some rubber gloves and a few hours free time and ill get the body cleaned and primed :D

No engine unfortuantly, except for a little half mold of one on the bottom of the chassis which got covered up by other pieces. I agree though, building the engines is half the fun of doing 1/24's, which is why I don't mind doing the odd Revell kit. I'll try to post some pictures of what little engine there is on the Porsche n some others soon.

Glad to hear the brake fluid worked for ya. How hard was it, and how much of a mess did it leave? I've been thinking of trying it on a kit I have, but living in an apartment has kinda put that idea aside. :indiff:

man it was naaasty. Wasnt hard though, just stuck the car and brake fluid in a small container and left it for a few days. On some sections of the car the paints come off itself, like in a flat sheet, its brilliant but greasy, messy and smelly.

I would like to know if you guys and gals use any body fillers on your models? if so what brand or recommend some, ive used this 'tamiya epoxy putty' quick type(87051-400) it is hard to use and the result is bad, ive been using car filler (real car) which is easy to apply but hard to get a great finish.

making the engines is the fun'est part.

I've been using Evercoat Ever-Glaze filler, comes in a fairly large tube. It's fairly easy to work with, although it dries very fast (think 1-2 minutes working time for a model-size amount). It can be sanded to a decent finish, although the edges have a tendancy to stand out when painted.

sound as good as car filler only prob i have is i need to fix the roof trim where i chop'd the top, very fine work and both my prods are too harsh.

Started to paint my genral lee, then noticed the filler wasnt sanded at the rear fix'd it now i have the prob of dark patchs showing through the paint.
just keep coating or re-prime?
Also any body who uses spray cans:crazy: use the boyd candy's (enamel 3oz can) got a tin and thinking of using it??

Boyd's paint is finicky at best, and downright scary at its worst. I've had three attempts at a body using Roadstar Florida Orange Pearl by Boyd, and none have been successful (I've since shelved the project, I will eventually return to it).

I wanted to use the boyd's kandy purple pearl as a 2tone on a '56 ford vicky,
top half purple and lower half pearl white with the chrome trim braking it up?

Sounds like it would look good, my only suggestion if you plan on using the Boyd's Kandy would be to keep the can back almost a foot, and keep the coats VERY light. You want it to dry fast to keep from running, so the thinner the better. Good luck, from what I hear, you're gonna need it. :scared:

Oh great its that bad:embarrassed:, im a coat or too away from finishing the lee and then ill start painting this

pull'd the engine from the LAPD, well it pretty much fell out so the colour is the only choice??

Attachments

• UWood.jpg
    UWood.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 25
boyd's kandy purple pearl

DON'T USE THAT COLOR!!!!!!!

It drips like a mother, and the nozzles cause it to blast wads of paint on the car. Plus, it's way too runny.

Boyd's Roadstar Florida Orange is pretty too, but it's also an evil color.;)

Back