General Model Kit Building Thread

DON'T USE THAT COLOR!!!!!!!

It drips like a mother, and the nozzles cause it to blast wads of paint on the car. Plus, it's way too runny.

Boyd's Roadstar Florida Orange is pretty too, but it's also an evil color.;)

i only wanted to use it up is all, i'll just hit something old for a look see...
Well after doing the general lee orange with the airbrush I wont use cans again the paint is just so nice not to thick no runs.

Man im half way through the AMT duke's General lee model, have put the 01 and flag on, but while watching the show for placement i find the 'general lee' sticker above the doors is way to big and the wrong colour black not blue.

Man im half way through the AMT duke's General lee model, have put the 01 and flag on, but while watching the show for placement i find the 'general lee' sticker above the doors is way to big and the wrong colour black not blue.

Theres a lot of problems with that model compared to the original. The decals are either the wrong size or color (ie. Flag and lettering), and the back window is flat. Basically they used a Charger 500 body to make the kit. There is a site that sells the correct decals, but unfortuantly I no longer have it book marked, although you could always try ebay, or check some model forums for the link.

Theres a lot of problems with that model compared to the original. The decals are either the wrong size or color (ie. Flag and lettering), and the back window is flat. Basically they used a Charger 500 body to make the kit. There is a site that sells the correct decals, but unfortuantly I no longer have it book marked, although you could always try ebay, or check some model forums for the link.

tell me about it, fix'd the window pretty easy, flag didnt look to bad but is a tiny bit small, the big prob is the poor moulding. but it looks cool sitting atop my 1/8th monster truck 'general lee'. Have to wait to fix decals no ink in printer

Cleaned the body after leaving it in the brake fluid.....i think 2 weeks was too long because some parts of the body have started cracking at some weak points:dunce:

Oh, man. You must've forgotten about it, I presume??

Well, get your wallet or get some putty and sandpaper and glue.
One thing I will recommend while sanding is to use an eraser (One of those 'white pearl' ones), unused, to use as a block behind the sandpaper. It helps to control the sandpaper, and keeps the flat spots flat. Everything stays more even. (Think block sanding on a real car, it's for the same reasons. I use an eraser because your plastic body and putty will damage more easily than a real car will).

Thanks of the advice. Ive still got a bit of sanding to do but im worried because the body may have become weak in other areas too and i dont want any more cracks:indiff:

Thought I'd stop by and share.. :)
This is a 1/8 scale model... about 23" long, 9" wide. Manufactured in 1978. Very old! As a matter of fact, when I was a child my dad built the same model.

after many hours of work

even more hours!

After painting the body

Wow, I'm exhausted!
Finally coming together! I bought this model off of ebay for a cool $87.95 shipped! Definitely worth the money, oddly enough probably worth more unbuilt. All said and done I bet I spent the same amount on paint and supplies.

Interesting model, and good work by the way. 👍

True about it being worth more unbuilt, but what would bring you more enjoyment, building it and displaying it proudly for many years, or keeping it in a closet for years and years to make an extra buck? 💡

Interesting model, and good work by the way. 👍

True about it being worth more unbuilt, but what would bring you more enjoyment, building it and displaying it proudly for many years, or keeping it in a closet for years and years to make an extra buck? 💡
I agree 99.9%

I've received almost $400.00 for built models on the bay, I've had several competition Lowriders as a youngster, Mostly for resaleing! I've built plastic replicas of all of them, Untampered promo's do bring big bucks but diecasts are only good for nice parts in my opinion, Great thread here, I didn't know it exist, I will go and get several of my cars out of storage this week end and post some pics!

Cheers,

Wow! $400 out of your hobby? cant complain:sly: Yea fo' sure post some pics, thats what this thread needs!

I haven't done ANYTHING to do with models since my last update on the Cuda which was ages ago:( Just been going through the thread again, makes me miss working on these cars. I must get back to this soon...

EDIT: Had to re host some pics. Check page 8 for some pics of my Skyline!!

Same here. Once Christmas comes around, my model table and supplies get tucked away to make room for the Christmas tree and presents. I hate living in a one bedroom apartment. :grumpy:

Wow! $400 out of your hobby? cant complain:sly: Yea fo' sure post some pics, thats what this thread needs!

I haven't done ANYTHING to do with models since my last update on the Cuda which was ages ago:( Just been going through the thread again, makes me miss working on these cars. I must get back to this soon...

EDIT: Had to re host some pics. Check page 8 for some pics of my Skyline!!
I seen your Skyline, It's very nice! I have a Clarion Skyline that's similar, I will pick up some models from storage and post pics this weekend, Maybe I'll post a pic of my model cases also, That would be easier!

Progress :D

The finish has come out very good seeing as in it was in horrible condition after coming out of the brake fluid. I used super glue on the cracks and then sanded it down and then used car body filler on larger holes and cracks. Ive also deleted the door handles, side indicators, the sills on the side of body and the fog lamps on the bumper. I want it to look smoooooth when its finished.

I forgot about my old post of posting some pics, The Nismo Clarion is next to the Red Cadillac on the trailer, Excuse the date on my Camera shot, The date is incorrect, I took the pictures on Xmas 06, Here's my Clarion and some Lowrider models of mines, All plastic, When I get organized I will take some shots with the bodies removed, They are very detailed!

hey guys I am a new proud owner of a Honda CRX ZC TAMIYA 1/24 scale car:) :sly:

I just picked her up today, and was wondering what do you guys paint the cars with? I was thinking of just getting a can of rattle paint from a local car parts store and spraying it gunmetal. Is there a better way of doing this?

Also I need to know what a good process for painting the plastic model is. I want it to have a nice glossy finish and look real nice:tup:

Let me know:) 👍

Is it just me or have Tamiya stopped being re-sold in Australia. The last time I saw a new 1/24 car model of Tamiya in Aus was more than a year ago.

I hope not, it's just that I have been looking for a decent Nissan GTR/ Supra/ NSX everywhere in Melbourne and I've turned up with absolutely nothing. Ebay.au rarely, and I mean rarely has people selling them nationally under $40-50.

Is there any other sites or model-stores that has up-to-date Tamiya stock I could be ordering from?

Regards, GT Pro.

just finished putting the suspension together on my crx!:dopey:

dsc01353sr3.jpg

dsc01356su7.jpg

dsc01358kl3.jpg

Dunno bout other shops GT Pro but If you've got a paypal account, you could just go onto ebay and get some models from China. You can get really good models there for not that much.

DDMv2 I Love CRX's I want to buy a Tamiya model too. Hope yours turns out good. If your going to use spray paint to get a good smooth finish you could spray the body with primer first and then the gunmetal and afterwards with a clear lacquer. It is also VERY important to leave it to dry in a dust free environment.

Ok thanks for the pointers:tup:

What would you reccoemend I paint with tho? The actual paint for plastic models or auto body paint? Some people told me just to stay away from real car paint and use the paint for these plastic models...

Is it just me or have Tamiya stopped being re-sold in Australia. The last time I saw a new 1/24 car model of Tamiya in Aus was more than a year ago.

I hope not, it's just that I have been looking for a decent Nissan GTR/ Supra/ NSX everywhere in Melbourne and I've turned up with absolutely nothing. Ebay.au rarely, and I mean rarely has people selling them nationally under $40-50.

Is there any other sites or model-stores that has up-to-date Tamiya stock I could be ordering from?

Regards, GT Pro.

http://toys.search.ebay.co.uk/model-kit_Cars_W0QQcatrefZC11QQfromZR8QQsacatZ2580

Quite a few, from Australia models there.

What would you reccoemend I paint with tho? The actual paint for plastic models or auto body paint? Some people told me just to stay away from real car paint and use the paint for these plastic models...

Ive used real car paint on my models and their ok. Ive also used the real car paint on other plastic objects and they have turned out fine. It doesn't really matter imo. Let the cost, availability(ie. will you be able to get the colour you want) and how much you need influence your decision instead

Regards, GT Pro.

No they're still being sold down under. Just a week ago I bought an SLR McLaren and Carrera GT.

No they're still being sold down under. Just a week ago I bought an SLR McLaren and Carrera GT.

Do you live in Victoria? If so, what store did you purchase it from?

The only stores near me that seem to ever stock Tamiya products are places like Toyworld and the odd hobby shop here and there.

Post script: Anyone who has ever recieved a model kit from overseas ever had any problems regarding damaging of the box or anything? Just curious, though I doubt it will be a problem, I just want to know if I'd ever expect anything like this.

Back