GTP_Registry Qualifier Photo Contest (Finalists Announced)

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 166 comments

GTP_Registry Qualifier Photo Contest Finalists

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I realise you are entitled to your opinion but you really need to be careful, this is just a bit of fun for a bunch of guys who normally spend their time glued to steering wheels squeezing hundredths of seconds from a lap time... ease up with your negativity please, we (I) chose the photo that was most pleasing to me it is not about photo perfection!

Not everyone in WRS are photomode fans, or editing enthousiast, and everyone have different preference, i think its judging too quickly, Manuelos picture is really nice. i personaly dont like pics that have editing, that does not mean i (or anyone) have a biaised opinion.

Hey really, I understand that bit. And I too, along with many others on, and not on the poll are a part of the "bunch" who spend their time glued to steering wheels squeezing hundredths of seconds from a lap time. Trust me, I, at the very least and more of that than a "photomoder". It's not the negativity I'm trying to let out here, it's a genuine honest opinion. I didn't really mean to imply the need for "perfection", it's just the sense of presence of a bias.

In which competition did you all ever saw an entry being used for promoting the event/contest? I was suprised when I saw it...

Not everyone in WRS are photomode fans, or editing enthousiast, and everyone have different preference, i think its judging too quickly, Manuelos picture is really nice. i personaly dont like pics that have editing, that does not mean i (or anyone) have a biaised opinion.

You are missing the best part of photomode than. Go and visit GTP photomode sub-forum. You will change your opinion. :)

Probably there are people voting for the person and not the shot itself (as Argon said he voted for Manuelo's previous shots). This has a con and a plus though :D Manuelos is a great guy for sure! :cheers: About his entry: he used the parcial color filter in a clever way but its composition isn't that great IMO.

Your shot is my favorite of the meganes. ;) (i would like to see it in full size but we don't have links in the pole :S )

Congrats Manuelos.

Dont get what i said wrong, my english isnt my first language that might explain it, what i mean is, guys dont judge people too quickly, i dont see anything biaised, everyone have different preference nothing more than that. :)

Like i said earlier im not a fan of edited shot, not everyone think like me and thats fine, just like you dont like most pictures and thats also fine, who i am to judge you or anyone. :)

About the edited shot, it give really nice results, a lot nicer than original, but thats what i dont like, its not 100% from the game, it have nothing to do with how nice it look.

Last edited:
No one said anything about you saying anything wrong bud. Yes, everyone has their own preferences, that's nice and sweet. But if people really don't LIKE edited shots and have such a strong opinion against them as you do, they why allow edited shots here in the first place? Just for people to go ahead and say, "Hey, I don't like your shot, because you edited it, and it's not from the game? ". Oh come on, a lot of skill, patience, work and art goes into doing an edited shot, I'll have you know.

And to compare it to "hybriding" . Bad comparison buddy.

Dont get what i said wrong, my english isnt my first language that might explain it, what i mean is, guys dont judge people too quickly, i dont see anything biaised, everyone have different preference nothing more than that. :)

Like i said earlier im not a fan of edited shot, not everyone think like me and thats fine, just like you dont like most pictures and thats also fine, who i am to judge you or anyone. :)

About the edited shot, it give really nice results, a lot nicer than original, but thats what i dont like, its not 100% from the game, it have nothing to do with how nice it look.

Don't you like salt, pepper, sugar, sauces? Or do you eat all your food without any seasoning? :D

I'm joking here. But I respect your opinion. 👍

In which competition did you all ever saw an entry being used for promoting the event/contest? I was suprised when I saw it...
The blog post you are referring to was not specifically to promote the contest, and was the second post made in support of it.

I made the first of them, last Sunday. The only photos I put in that post were in support of the online race that was the headline for the post.

Manuelos' picture received 10 "Like" votes on the 3rd or later. Meaning, he received 23 before the blog post that featured his photo, which would still leave it ahead of all of the other pictures in the finals post.

This contest is intended as a diversion and a bit of fun for our membership while they grind away at qualifier laps. There's no real prize, other than being at the top of the Registry thread. And it's likely that several of the ranked photos that are being voted on will be featured in future posts related to the registry and qualifier.

Don't you like salt, pepper, sugar, sauces? Or do you eat all your food without any seasoning? :D
A steak is a steak and the pleasure is in the eating of it, not the seasoning.

The beauty of a picture is in the eye of the beholder, not in the pseudo-expert critique of it. When I wake up and watch the sunrise over the hill behind our house I don't think "Wow, that needs a cross colour reduction filter." :rolleyes:

I realise that when you do something too much you become slightly obsessive about it but trust me, this is not the place to do that.

Shame mine got excluded (don't know why) but there are some awesome shots in the final group and my vote has to go to that awesome shot at Willows from @Manuelos 👍

:ouch: Many profuse apologies, Mike! :nervous: We screwed up when counting the likes.

I've added you as 'Finalist 1.5' at the end, and even though this is totally unfair, hopefully some people that haven't voted yet will still give it some love.

Finalist 1.5 by Argon (28 likes)

I respect your opinion and I didn't say that Manuelos' shot is in the poll because you've used it in the blog. I just said that IMO that doesn't make a lot of sense.

You are influencing the viewers either you want or not. I assume you didn't of course. And this has nothing to do with Manuelos shot. I would say the same exact thing about any other shot. If it's a contest, for fun or not, no entry can be promoted. You don't know if those 10 likes would be for other people's shots if that wouldn't have happened.

:) Don't take it personal. As a designer who enters various contests now and then, I had to say this. :)

The beauty of a picture is in the eye of the beholder, not in the pseudo-expert critique of it. When I wake up and watch the sunrise over the hill behind our house I don't think "Wow, that needs a cross colour reduction filter." :rolleyes:

I realise that when you do something too much you become slightly obsessive about it but trust me, this is not the place to do that.

A steak cames from an animal. You don't eat the animal alive do you?

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder yes. But this isn't a romantic film. This is a contest. And in a contest there are rules and criteria. Composition. Lighting. DoF. Mood, etc are some of the basic things that some shots in the poll don't have.

You don't like to be criticized. I can deal with that. What I can't understand is your "group-defensive" attitude. I'm new in WRS yes and you are all friends and old-school. But I'm not new in GTP and I would never treat someone new in Photomode sub-forum like this.

This is too much off-topic. I'll leave you all alone. 👍

Last edited:
The beauty is in the eye of the beholder yes. But this isn't a romantic film. This is a contest. And in a contest there are rules and criteria. Composition. Lighting. DoF. Mood, etc are some of the basic things that some shots in the poll don't have.

You don't like to be criticized. I can deal with that. What I can't understand is your "group-defensive" attitude. I'm new in WRS yes and you are all friends and old-school. But I'm not new in GTP and I would never treat someone new in Photomode sub-forum like this.

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean or nasty to you or anyone else and there is certainly no "group-defensive" going on here, the point that folks are trying to make, and one that you can't accept for some reason, is that this was just a bit of FUN! It's was not and was never meant to be a highly precise photo-mode competition where your points would not only be valid but, I would hope, be actionable too. This was a little diversion that was very kindly set-up by the admins to offer us some light relief to the monotony of grinding lap after lap seeking those precious tenths in the qualifiers. I can tell that you're passionate about this stuff and that's really good to see but you have to understand that constantly griping about this is just sucking the joy out of it for everyone else.

Please just sit back, relax, enjoy the ride and don't take it too seriously it really isn't that kind of competition. Save all that eagerness and admirable passion for your first TT when we really will all hate each other :D (that last bit is a joke BTW). Just so you know, you are most warmly welcomed into the WRS and as an equal to any of us so please don't feel that you are being targeted that's really not true.

I really hope you have as good a time in the WRS as I have had since I joined :cheers:

Last edited:
About his entry: he used the parcial color filter in a clever way but its composition isn't that great IMO.
Nope, didn't use any parcial filter, just a bit of photoshop magic ;)

Please just sit back, relax, enjoy the ride[...].
I really hope you have as good a time in the WRS as I have had since I joined :cheers:

That is way i'm here in the first place so I guess I'll follow your advice. :cheers:

Nope, didn't use any parcial filter, just a bit of photoshop magic ;)

I wouldn't call selective color PS magic. It's pretty similar to the parcial color filter (being you megane a black car).

I know you are ready to just let this go, and have some fun. But I think this point is still important to address, as we'll likely have more Photomode competitions in the future, and our "Rules" will likely be similar.

This is the part where we are not aligned. While I don't necessarily understand exactly what you are referring to in a Photo sense, I do understand what you are referring to in a contest/judging sense. I've been involved in or exposed to some competitions that are more subjective, where establishing some of the criteria like you mention is useful, to be sure "judges" are looking for the same thing. In our case, we only have a couple sets of rules -

Pictures:
  • Photos must originate from one of the two combos used in the GTP_Registry Qualifier - GT6.
  • Pictures must be at least 960 pixels wide and at most 1920 x 1080 (recommended size).
  • Pictures can be modified in Photoshop or can be directly exported from GT6.
Rules for Finals:
  • The finalists consist of the 10 pictures that receive the most likes during the submission period. In this case, there were several pics tied with 19 likes so there are 11 finalists.
  • Please view each image in it's full size by using the link (or click on the image) before voting.
  • Use the thread poll to place your vote for best picture.
  • Do not campaign or attempt to sway votes.
  • In the event of a tie, the number of likes in the preliminary round will be the deciding factor.
  • The poll and thus the voting for the overall winner will close on January 14th @ 00:24 GMT.
I don't see anything in those rules calling out the criteria that you've projected onto our contest. We've asked participants to vote for "best picture". Which is admittedly subjective, each voting member will be looking for what they look for in a picture. And we're not all photo experts here.

One last point I will make though, and a rule I think you should take note of.

"Do not campaign or attempt to sway votes."

You are not in the final competition, so your behavior is easier to construe as someone simply being passionate about something they are passionate about.

But I still would ask that you refrain from continuing to sway our membership base, by portraying a set of rules for our contest that simply was never there to begin with.

I give up...
I think my english is not sufficiently good to make myself understood.

No one is in the final. Their shots are. I judge pictures not people. My shots didn't recieve enough likes to pass thru and I'm fine.

Sway votes?
I didn't use/promote/put a spotlight on (call it whatever you want) any shot in the news page before the competition ends. It was taged as "Picture of te week".

I emited my opinion. If that is to sway votes, next time I'll be a little more hypocrite and say that everything is fine and all was done the right way and everyone deserves to win and bla bla bla.

Sway votes?
I didn't use/promote/put a spotlight on (call it whatever you want) any shot in the news page before the competition ends. It was taged as "Picture of te week".

I emited my opinion. If that is to sway votes, next time I'll be a little more hypocrite and say that everything is fine and all was done the right way and everyone deserves to win and bla bla bla.
Maybe you didn't visit the links in my post yesterday, or maybe you think I, or another of or WRS admins chose which photo to include?

Terronium-12 made the blog post with the photo. He often highlights aspects of the WRS in his posts, but he made the decision, and is not part of our OLR staff.

If that's your big issue here, maybe take it up with him in private.

I said to myself I would refrain from taking it any further but I can't help myself, I'm here to clear the air on what's really happening.

I think you sort of misunderstood @zzz_pt and what he's trying to say really. By saying, and i quote, "The beauty is in the eye of the beholder yes. But this isn't a romantic film. This is a contest. And in a contest there are rules and criteria. Composition. Lighting. DoF. Mood, etc are some of the basic things that some shots in the poll don't have." , is that people really aren't looking into what makes a shot attractive, the factors that do being aforementioned. I reckon the reason he says such a thing, and to be honest, I feel the same, is because the leading shot, by Manuelos was featured in the Rewind. That, and the fact that there's a certain bias going around here, which was only confirmed by Gravitron saying, " I voted for MAnuelos shot because he impressed t he hell out of me before" . Yes, you liked his work before, we're talking about what's on the poll now. All this noise is not because we want you lot to appreciate "photography" and we're obsessive or such, hey, I'm not even from a photographic background.

Yes we know, none of you are too serious about the photo competitions, everyone's here to race, hey, we are too. It's just that we love our photos just as much, but that's not the point here. The point it what's fair, and what isn't. And come on, how could it possible appear to you lot that he's trying to sway the poll here? :lol:

Where saying something constructive is concerned, I say, if you want to hold photo competitions in the future. Do separate out the "edited" photos from the "originals", meaning, a separate competition for both. Or you might as well not ALLOW edited work, seeing as how people feel so repelled by it here.

And you bud, like I said, it's not being obsessive. And there's no such thing as a cross colour reduction filter on "photoshop" :rolleyes:

EDK
Maybe you didn't visit the links in my post yesterday, or maybe you think I, or another of or WRS admins chose which photo to include?

Terronium-12 made the blog post with the photo. He often highlights aspects of the WRS in his posts, but he made the decision, and is not part of our OLR staff.

If that's your big issue here, maybe take it up with him in private.

Yes I visited you links. What do you want me to say about it? In the 2nd link there are 2 shots promoting WRS but NONE of them is present in the "contest". :)

In the Weekly Rewind (that I love to read), The Picture of the Week is a shot that IS present on the "contest". I know you don't pick the Picture of the Week. Terronium recieves or chose himself a shot. Unintencionally or not, that fact is actually swaying votes.

If this is a "contest" we have to treat it like so. If is just a "nebulous thing" that people does not face like a contest, it should've be made clear in the OP.

I'm leaving this thread once and for all. I agreed with rambo. Next time, make separate contests or block edited entries.

ps: Funny how some people say: "I don't like edited shots" and then "so I'll vote on Manuelos shot". 👍

I said to myself I would refrain from taking it any further but I can't help myself, I'm here to clear the air on what's really happening.

I think you sort of misunderstood @zzz_pt and what he's trying to say really. By saying, and i quote, "The beauty is in the eye of the beholder yes. But this isn't a romantic film. This is a contest. And in a contest there are rules and criteria. Composition. Lighting. DoF. Mood, etc are some of the basic things that some shots in the poll don't have." , is that people really aren't looking into what makes a shot attractive, the factors that do being aforementioned. I reckon the reason he says such a thing, and to be honest, I feel the same, is because the leading shot, by Manuelos was featured in the Rewind. That, and the fact that there's a certain bias going around here, which was only confirmed by Gravitron saying, " I voted for MAnuelos shot because he impressed t he hell out of me before" . Yes, you liked his work before, we're talking about what's on the poll now. All this noise is not because we want you lot to appreciate "photography" and we're obsessive or such, hey, I'm not even from a photographic background.

Yes we know, none of you are too serious about the photo competitions, everyone's here to race, hey, we are too. It's just that we love our photos just as much, but that's not the point here. The point it what's fair, and what isn't. And come on, how could it possible appear to you lot that he's trying to sway the poll here? :lol:

Where saying something constructive is concerned, I say, if you want to hold photo competitions in the future. Do separate out the "edited" photos from the "originals", meaning, a separate competition for both. Or you might as well not ALLOW edited work, seeing as how people feel so repelled by it here.

And you bud, like I said, it's not being obsessive. And there's no such thing as a cross colour reduction filter on "photoshop" :rolleyes:
Seriously. You guys are taking this MUCH too seriously.

My suggestion to you is that if you do not like the structure, and relaxed nature, of our photo competitions, you should not participate in them. We're not going to make them that complicated.

How could it possibly appear to me that he's trying to sway the poll?

But I can't put the last 2 shots (for example) in the same bag. :) I don't want to be picky or harsh but there are shots that dont deserve to win. I'm beeing honest with everyone: those who produced a good shot and those who didin't. :)

How is that not a post that might potentially sway the voting?

@zzz_pt @rambo793 - You're both over-complicating something that should be simple and is to the rest of us that aren't immersed in your photo-mode convolutions; the dynamic in this part of the forum is racing first, everything else last. In our version of a photo competition we have one criteria - Do I like it or not? That's it.

The reason I mentioned steak is that its about the simplest meal one can make and still be considered gourmet. Dress it up if you like but its still just a steak and the question is, is it tasty?

All we wanted as @Argon already stated, is something to pass the time as a distraction while the qualifier runs, yet the two of you seem unwilling or unable to accept that not everybody wants to take this as seriously as you do. We take racing seriously and that's about the long and short of it I'm afraid.

EDK
Seriously. You guys are taking this MUCH too seriously.

My suggestion to you is that if you do not like the structure, and relaxed nature, of our photo competitions, you should not participate in them. We're not going to make them that complicated.

How could it possibly appear to me that he's trying to sway the poll?

How is that not a post that might potentially sway the voting?

I said that quoting other person who said every shot deserved to win. That is sway the voting to, since some shots are OBVIOUSLY better than others. I like to be sincere and not "polite".

I don't know why you're insisting that I sawy the poll when a shot was promoted in the news page. Seriously?

BTW: This shot by CTznOfTime is better than a lot of shots in the pole and actualy better than mine shots. (Agian, my opinion)

@Vagabond Photomode is in 2nd place to me as well. I'm a racer, not a photographer.

Last edited:
Oh cmon, you lot! After all that explaining, surely you don't still NOT get the point of all this? It's not about complicating, it's the partiality that's prevalent for whatever sake's !
I never asked you @EDK to make the competitions "complicated", how the hell is what I said and suggested "complicated" wise friends?

@zzz_pt @rambo793 - You're both over-complicating something that should be simple and is to the rest of us that aren't immersed in your photo-mode convolutions; the dynamic in this part of the forum is racing first, everything else last. In our version of a photo competition we have one criteria - Do I like it or not? That's it.

The reason I mentioned steak is that its about the simplest meal one can make and still be considered gourmet. Dress it up if you like but its still just a steak and the question is, is it tasty?

All we wanted as @Argon already stated, is something to pass the time as a distraction while the qualifier runs, yet the two of you seem unwilling or unable to accept that not everybody wants to take this as seriously as you do. We take racing seriously and that's about the long and short of it I'm afraid.
We are in no photo-mode convolutions steak man. Yea, racing is our first priority too, which, if weren't true, we wouldn't be here.

@zzz_pt @rambo793

OK guys, here's the deal.

I (and the admin staff) agree with you that in hindsight, it was likely not a good idea to have one of the photos that are part of a "live" contest featured in a blog post. We'll make every reasonable effort to ensure that will not happen in the future. That's our half of this.

Your half is this - Take the contests at face value. Participate if you choose to, but do not question our rules, do not publicly question the quality of content.

When we post weekly race results, some guys are fast, some are slow. Some are division winners, some are podiums. Those are all objective measures. But the only time we would ever tolerate a member making disparaging comments about a lap is if it broke the event rules, and was disqualified. We'd ask you to take the same approach in here.

Don't critique the rules, don't critique the content. Allow your vote to speak for your opinion, and leave it at that.

Does that work for everyone?

Oh yes, we do know how to take things at face value.
Ready to take said approach and follow the leader(s), it's all fantastic!

And... im the ONLY one that said ''i dont like edited photo'' ...just to make it clear ;)

Back