GTP_WRS : Suggestions Box

• Thread starter Sjaak
  • 1,032 comments
WRS is mainly in winter for me.

From March on it is difficult to find the time to concentrate sufficient on a combination.
Since I was not far in GT5, I did concentrate on getting somewhat further on events, etc...

Hope we keep sufficient momentum in WRS though, it is top!

The points leaderboard we had in GT5P was unofficial and made by an individual member.

For myself I know that I will return to WRS. Summer just isn't the right time to sit in the basement doing laps.

I guess the seasonal aspect to WRS participation never occurred to me since I generally only run when everyone else is asleep, and it's dark then regardless of the season (and most places are closed in our little town, especially in winter).

I've been trying some snow rally driving yesterday, without having any experience it wasn't as bad as gravel driving.
So my suggestion is, maybe a Chamonix (one of them) combo? Doesn't really matter what car.

Not sure if this has been suggested as yet BUT . .

An open track run in Arcade?
Given the number of possibilities in Arcade mode, a track could be chosen and a tyre compound, then have at it, any car at all, no limitations on car selection.

ALSO a budget run, not sure if this is even possible . .
Given a budget of $xxxxx to play with and a specific car and track is selected, driver then choses to upgrade different parts and tune pending the driving style.

Not sure if either would be at all possible, or am i just creating more headaches for the admin.
Just a thought, happy for any feedback at all.

Cheers All !!!

Just some ideas/brain fart

Leverage the other parts of the forum (e.g. sticky threads), ad banners and twitter account (and other social networks) to advertise WRS, perhaps on a monthly basis for the first and last suggestion and the banners can be on rotation across the site, linking to the WRS forum.

A great way of getting it "out there", IMHO. 6,500 followers of the twitter account and with retweets, it'll get about the place. The twitter account is not often used either and usually only promotes the news items which have been added to the site, which is fairly few and far between - you could just have a template with a bit.ly link pointing straight at the WRS subforum, advertising a great weekly racing/time trial league, etc

If the mobile app also does not mention it - it would be another useful place to promote it.

Note that there's a nice range of cars in the OCD this week that might make for an interesting WRS event. The Renault Clio trophey car might be fun, as would the BMW M3 GTR Race Car.

Having said that, given that we ran the Cr.3.6m Ford test car recently, how about the Pescarolo C60 (Cr.2m) or the Audi R8 (also Cr.2m) at La Sarthe :D

I earnt 2m in 10 minutes yesterday doing the two time trials from a couple of weeks ago. Easy money and it would be a great event :)

Last edited:
I was going to propose a DTM car given that the OCD is full of them, but I think the premium Lexus one would suit better (and it sounds awesome), so that could wait for another week.

The M3 GTR is an ALMS car, so maybe Daytona Road track?

EDIT: I posted something motivational in your thread Chris :D

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pain, I know you guys give up a lot of your free time to run the WRS and as far as I can see you guys are doing an extremely good job too 👍.

However a better system needs to be in place to add new members, as it's been almost 3 weeks since my submission. Vaxen isn't always available due to real life commitments which is perfectly fine, it's the summer and people have long holidays and like to spend their time doing better things. (Adding database entries would certainly not be top of my list either)

In the future is it possible to have a system where qualifier submissions get sent to the fetchbot? You could maybe even have a system where existing WRS_registry members can check replays for qualifier entries. I feel a system like this would speed up the whole submissions process and ease the burden on those running the WRS :)

Sorry to be a pain, I know you guys give up a lot of your free time to run the WRS and as far as I can see you guys are doing an extremely good job too 👍.

However a better system needs to be in place to add new members, as it's been almost 3 weeks since my submission. Vaxen isn't always available due to real life commitments which is perfectly fine, it's the summer and people have long holidays and like to spend their time doing better things. (Adding database entries would certainly not be top of my list either)

In the future is it possible to have a system where qualifier submissions get sent to the fetchbot? You could maybe even have a system where existing WRS_registry members can check replays for qualifier entries. I feel a system like this would speed up the whole submissions process and ease the burden on those running the WRS :)
I second that, I think it should also aid in getting new members to sort out the "how to" portion of submitting replays sooner also, as it seems some aren't expecting to have to submit replays.
We have some pretty dedicated replay verifiers already, perhaps a set few that are willing to verify registry times (since there are supposed to stay secret). I for one would be willing, I have a decent amount of free time to do it, if it's any help.

... a better system needs to be in place to add new members, as it's been almost 3 weeks since my submission. Vaxen isn't always available due to real life commitments which is perfectly fine, it's the summer and people have long holidays and like to spend their time doing better things. (Adding database entries would certainly not be top of my list either)

I second that...

I also agree. I think the simple solution is to just leave the process just as it is but make sure there is at least one backup for each of the admin roles in case one of the admins has real life stuff to attend to (or just needs a break) (or just gets slammed with a lot of new submissions at once, etc). We all know it's volunteer work only, but I'm sure there are a few that would be willing to volunteer for a backup role if asked -- full time or just over summer/holidays, etc.

As an alternative what about the fetchy idea for quali submissions but only assigning new drivers to a "Rookie" Division until their submission is fully reviewed and handicapped under the current manual system. So new drivers don't get a division immediately, but at least they get to see their name in the LB splits and results.

I think the one risk of anything "automated" and the "rookie" division idea are trollers who would take advantage of the automation (and the lack of wait time) and could cause some noise on the LB and registry list. The one advantage of the waiting period is only people who are serious about doing this actually survive the 2 week wait (or in seismica's case more) so the list of active drivers is a pretty good group... most trollers don't have that amount of patience.

Anyway, things do work as they are now and the WRS is great, but if there is a desire to attract new/more drivers a shorter wait period would be sure to help the movement.

Another event suggestion...

Once a month, or thereabouts, the admin can pick a driver from event results, and that driver choses the event intiating the Sunday after. The driver could be selected from any number of parameters, but for example, largest improvement against handicap, biggest division winning margin, driver closest to the median time for an event, and so on. The different parameters should ensure that it's a different driver each time.

To run the scenario through, in the week 26 results, T13R had the best handicap performance, so once the results have been published and his replay verified, T13R gets to pick the week 28 event (since week 27 is already running at that point in time), and he might might chose something along the lines of...

WRS Week 28: The T13R invitational - Nürburgring GP/F - Lexus IS F RM '07 "No F'ing chance..."

The admin could obviously tweak to ensure ongoing WRS event standards, and could also be responsible for selecting engine tune and tyres where necessary.

Just a thought :D

Last edited:
I was thinking that maybe the leaderboard could show what tyres were used in a particular event? I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to add (Though somewhat time consuming to backdate - but that isn't necessary).

I'm still also in favour of changes to the submission system. Like with replay verification, often it takes someone to have a moment of free time to do it. But with one person shouldering the responsibility of all submissions, it can get a little hectic at times. At the very least there should be a WRS_Submission account for PMs to be sent to, with two or more people having the login credentials. It will help smooth things out as I do believe it can be a time-consuming process when there are a large number of submissions. One solution to this is to accept submissions more frequently on a rotational basis between multiple people.

Here's an idea, how about a gift car or anything else that you can gift in the game for either overall winners or maybe a gift for each division winner. Not sure if this idea has been suggested before, but this could give people more incentive to take part in the WRS.

May be admin could also keep quiet what the prizes are, same scenario as what they do with not letting us post our overall time, or what car we have used for multi car events.

This may help boost the amount of competitors that run each week, but may burn a hefty hole in Kev's in game credits :sly:

This may help boost the amount of competitors that run each week, but may burn a hefty hole in Kev's in game credits :sly:

I have no issue with duping cars. ;)

That actually is a good idea.

I was thinking that maybe the leaderboard could show what tyres were used in a particular event? I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to add (Though somewhat time consuming to backdate - but that isn't necessary).

I'm still also in favour of changes to the submission system. Like with replay verification, often it takes someone to have a moment of free time to do it. But with one person shouldering the responsibility of all submissions, it can get a little hectic at times. At the very least there should be a WRS_Submission account for PMs to be sent to, with two or more people having the login credentials. It will help smooth things out as I do believe it can be a time-consuming process when there are a large number of submissions. One solution to this is to accept submissions more frequently on a rotational basis between multiple people.

On the leaderboard suggestion, you should post that one here -

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123953

On the other suggestion, I think we just ended up in an exceptional circumstance. The main issue overall is with operating the program that automates the submissions and the weekly races. We do have a couple of people who can do that, but not more.

Another event suggestion...

Once a month, or thereabouts, the admin can pick a driver from event results, and that driver choses the event intiating the Sunday after. The driver could be selected from any number of parameters, but for example, largest improvement against handicap, biggest division winning margin, driver closest to the median time for an event, and so on. The different parameters should ensure that it's a different driver each time.

To run the scenario through, in the week 26 results, T13R had the best handicap performance, so once the results have been published and his replay verified, T13R gets to pick the week 28 event (since week 27 is already running at that point in time), and he might might chose something along the lines of...

WRS Week 28: The T13R invitational - Nürburgring GP/F - Lexus IS F RM '07 "No F'ing chance..."

The admin could obviously tweak to ensure ongoing WRS event standards, and could also be responsible for selecting engine tune and tyres where necessary.

Just a thought

Also a good idea. Maybe that's one of the prizes that could be handed out for the weekly races.

Last edited:
I have no issue with duping cars.

Cheat :lol:

I thought about this while I was buying myself some cars and thought it would be a good way of encouraging people to run the WRS, can never have to many competitors ;)

You should give it a go for a while and see how it goes, be interesting to see if it will bring more people in :)

I hesitate to suggest this, but it would be a good chance to get to grips with the car...

Ruf "Yellowbird" CTR at maybe Grand Valley East reverse, Suzuka East, Daytona Road or even La Sarthe!

Or whatabout Clubman SSR5 - make it dark as well!

EDIT: I appreciate that we'll need to wiat for the car to turn up in the OCD, but it's something to think about :scared:

Last edited:
I hesitate to suggest this, but it would be a good chance to get to grips with the car...

Ruf "Yellowbird" CTR at maybe Grand Valley East reverse, Suzuka East or Daytona Road.

Or whatabout Clubman SSR5 - make it dark as well!

Nice suggestion. 👍

Generally, I only want to use standard cars when they are available in the UCD. So you guys need to be opportunistic when the cars you like are there. Exceptions can be made for cars that are below the trade limit value, but it's much easier if the car is readily available.

Seems I was adding my proviso at the same time. Will keep an eye on the OCD...

I think the car would be epic at La Sarthe (hint :sly:)

Title for the event: "JAWS" :lol:

Last edited:
Here some thoughts from a WRS newbie. I know there is people here who spend a lot of time in WRS, and people who doesn't compete all weeks. Also, qualifier intro suggests to spend with the SLS 'at last' how much time you plan to follow your ghost in weekly races.

So, I did, aware of the fact that I'm not in racing WRS for more than 1 or 2 hours a week.

I find the AMG Academy SLS very easy to drive. I don't remember if rules allowed ontrack tuning, but as I'm not used to, I didn't any change to the car. I did the challenge for 1h or 1h and half quite satisfied with my clean sectors and was surprisingly allowed in D2 gold.

Now, the Subaru with rear SH tires is not an easy car for me. After 1h I was 1.3s far from leader, and submitted my times after another hour, reducing the gap under 0.5s.
Quite far from D2 and D3 competitors :indiff: who indeed spent more time in this, at last as stated from post count in thread.

I'm not suggesting to change the format of WRS, as it had become popular like it is now. But, any chance to see a competition like the Coulthard seasonal challenge? Something like 15'/30'/1h to do our best?

... any chance to see a competition like the Coulthard seasonal challenge? Something like 15'/30'/1h to do our best?

I think the problem with that is the different timezones that everyone is on and their respective times that they are able to run. That's one of the beauties of WRS, I can run it when it suits me and not have to work to a specified time like the on-line racing.

I think the problem with that is the different timezones that everyone is on and their respective times that they are able to run. That's one of the beauties of WRS, I can run it when it suits me and not have to work to a specified time like the on-line racing.
Timezones: if not were for multiple accounts, there was no need to compete all at the same time. GT5 logs are online. If a driver enters the designed car, it's a proof. If he doesn't switch car in given time, it's a proof. If you have another hidden account, it proofs nothing :(

I have a suggestion for a weeks race sometime.
Not really concerned too much with the track but I would love to use the car for a WRS.
Definitely in GT Mode, hopefully on a paved track, so there can be tunes and a couple upgrades.

Anyway here it is...
Couldn't resist coming up with a combo and title to help the selling point.;):lol:

'Roman with Delta Force'
Car: Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91 [From the NCD.]
Track: Rome Circuit Reverse.

EDK
Generally, I only want to use standard cars when they are available in the UCD. So you guys need to be opportunistic when the cars you like are there...

New OCD today - Sauber Mercedes C9 at Cr.2.675m

La Sarthe WRS event next week???

If that's too rich for people, there is also the CLK-LM Race Car at Cr. 1.8m...

You did say to be quick Kev :sly:

Sauber - Le Mans would be interesting combo.
Even more interesting if:
2 lap TT (offline) / 2 lap solo race (online lobby)
and
2005 no chicanes version

Tyres S1's to R1's

MadMax

New OCD today - Sauber Mercedes C9 at Cr.2.675m

La Sarthe WRS event next week???

If that's too rich for people, there is also the CLK-LM Race Car at Cr. 1.8m...

You did say to be quick Kev :sly:

Le Sarthe in something very fast with RS's is quite enjoyable.

Sauber - Le Mans would be interesting combo.
Even more interesting if:
2 lap TT (offline) / 2 lap solo race (online lobby)
and
2005 no chicanes version

Tyres S1's to R1's

MadMax

You guys are f'in crazy.

Did a little testing today, Sarthe it shall be next week. :scared:

Rally then Sarthe? I feel an impeachment coming on. ;)

Back