NASCAR 2012 Thread

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 9,370 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

I should restate that they never run ovals in the rain. I remember that race very well. One should note the main differences though between ovals and road courses is that there is no constant force being applied on a certain side of a car at every moment of the race on the roadies while there is on the ovals. I do believe that no Cup race has ever ran in the rain.

R1600Turbo
People that complain about them not running in the rain have absolutely no idea the physics involved with these cars.

OK, I'm happy to admit that this was possibly aimed at me but as a European I have zero exposure to Nascar but I am willing to learn. I remember being surprised a few years ago reading that the cars run with different camber angles on different sides of the car.

What are the main reasons why they can't race in the rain?

I can see that the banking would cause rivers to form across the track. But roughly what are the physics involved?

I take it we will have some time to fill.

I don't want to know how far Gordon is from 1st in points if the race ends under rain.

I've already given up the thought of Gordon being in the chase this year.
Same here. There's little chance he could get into the chase, even if it's just the 5th race of the season.

Back to his pattern of winning races one year and going winless the next... ok maybe that's going too far.

OK, I'm happy to admit that this was possibly aimed at me but as a European I have zero exposure to Nascar but I am willing to learn. I remember being surprised a few years ago reading that the cars run with different camber angles on different sides of the car.

What are the main reasons why they can't race in the rain?

I can see that the banking would cause rivers to form across the track. But roughly what are the physics involved?

I take it we will have some time to fill.

no expert but i would imagine that it's combination of the weight of the cars and the constant downforce being exerted on one side of the car on ovals. i don't think any rain tires would be able to last more than a few laps without the cars having to pit for tires.

I should restate that they never run ovals in the rain. I remember that race very well. One should note the main differences though between ovals and road courses is that there is no constant force being applied on a certain side of a car at every moment of the race on the roadies while there is on the ovals. I do believe that no Cup race has ever ran in the rain.

Only one practice session at Suzuka in the late 90s, a practice session (or test) at Watkins Glen where Mark Martin said it was unsafe to be driving on the tires, and for the seat swap last year between Hamilton and Stewart. It's odd that an F1 Champion has more experience on NASCAR's rain tire than most of the series competitors do.

no expert but i would imagine that it's combination of the weight of the cars and the constant downforce being exerted on one side of the car on ovals. i don't think any rain tires would be able to last more than a few laps without the cars having to pit for tires.

Correct. NASCAR has already had a tire debacle in clear conditions at Indianapolis a few years ago where the tires couldn't last more than 15 laps under green requiring numerous competition cautions. Heck, the longest green flag run at the 2008 Brickyard was 13 laps!

I'm not even a Gordon fan, but there's no way you can count him out of the Chase. Regardless of points, you can still get in on wins, and I thinks he's more than capable of 2 wins this year. That's all it took last year.

Well Gordon can't always win, Maybe you should re-watch 95-97 seasons to get that nostalgia, cause that Gordon isn't coming back.

I'm Stewart fan ALSO if don't already know. And he will come back, he just needs to win a few races before the chase.

The Auto Club 258 is the official name of this race. Missing by 142 miles of its advertised distance.

What I wouldn't give to replace Crudifornia Speedway with Rockingham so we can see some actual racing.

Thank goodness for Martinsville so I can get rid of this farce from my memory.

Well Gordon can't always win, Maybe you should re-watch 95-97 seasons to get that nostalgia, cause that Gordon isn't coming back.

👍 If Jeff is going to win the championship he will need to do it this year or next year. If not, Gordon's chances of a 5th Cup championship is done and final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back