Project CARS - Logitech Wheels NOT Supported on PS4

• Thread starter biffdiver
  • 2,132 comments
Guys, nobody from Sony or Logitech are going to comment on compatibility unless there is a solid decision made by them and they make a formal announcement. They aren't going to answer some random twitter user regarding such a large issue.

When using consoles that use proprietary operating systems you have to come to accept that they are only going to let business partners use their equipment on their consoles. If Logitech are out of the console game and aren't investing any time or money in to it then Sony aren't going to support their stuff out of the goodness of their heart and I don't believe it's going to effect sales - people will still buy the games on PS4 as there are plenty of people out there who use controllers and there is still the Thrustmaster gear.

There are really only 2 options. Buy a PS4 compatible wheel, or race on PC with your Logitech wheel. If you are interested in Gran Turismo 7 I would suggest option A, but if you are like me and are more interested in Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and the use of PC only peripherals such as shifters, button boxes, Simvibe etc then the PC is the obvious choice.

Guys, nobody from Sony or Logitech are going to comment on compatibility unless there is a solid decision made by them and they make a formal announcement. They aren't going to answer some random twitter user regarding such a large issue.

Yes, they are. See post #236 in this thread. Just like the CEO of Fanatec is answering questions in the hardware subforum here at GTP.

Lol what? Pc surely seems to be the best racing game of the last years but it Counts nothing in terms of brand and audience compared to other titles. Only when commercial games will come out we can hope in some changes.

I found your post very funny. Hence the LOL.

Logi, the nuance is in the use of the word "full". It's clear that the G27 will never offer full menu support, it doesn't even have a PS button. But I think there's still a broad hope that Logitech will be supported in game in a similar manner to the T500RS.

I assume the T500 is using the same FFB drivers as the T300 and that this support is easy to provide, whereas Logitech with their Immersion licensed tech is clearly a very different driver requirement. But time will tell if Logitech and Sony have any interest in working this through. We all know Logitech has publically stepped out of the Console market, after all.

You're right. Slipped my mind last night that of course the T500 works without a chip as well. So sorry about getting hyped for nada.

What could be though is that the T500 is just riding on the T300 driver. Which could indicate that Sony only offers their SDK to those who also take a security chip of their hands for a new wheel. So without a new wheel, no license and thus no driver to 'ride' any old products on.
So my guess is we will only see Logitech compatibility if they first make a new PS4 wheel. For that new wheel they can than make a driver that supports older products as well as Thrustmaster has done with the T300 driver being compatible with the T500.

How come nobody with a Twitter account has asked Logitech about the "full" support comment yet? I dont care if I have to use my DS4 in the menus, as long as I can use my G27 on the track. Please somebody go ask for clarification whether the G27 will work ingame at some point, like the T500RS. And if not: Why the 🤬 not?

I did, but they don't reply of course...

Logitech abandoned Wheels department, and they wont answer any questions in that matter. Only options or Logitech users is to sell as quickly as possible G27 and purchase any wheel compatible with PS4.

I'm sure some bright spark will make a USB dongle type thing (as @Johnnypenso suggested) with a built in PS4 security chip so that all wheels will work. I hope so at least. Plug the dongle into the PS4, & plug the wheel into the dongle, job done.

👍

Just going to throw this out there to give hope weather false or not. The T100 by thrustmaster uses Immersion technology and is listed as compatible with Project Cars. Is this the same Immersion technology that the Logitech wheels use and will the Logitech wheels possibly be able to piggyback on that?

VBR
I'm sure some bright spark will make a USB dongle type thing (as @Johnnypenso suggested) with a built in PS4 security chip so that all wheels will work. I hope so at least. Plug the dongle into the PS4, & plug the wheel into the dongle, job done.

👍
If it really is a security chip that stops it I don't think Sony would be very happy about a dongle to bypass it. Then you could plug anything you want in, opening up possibilities for viruses, HDD access, hacking etc...

Or buy a PC instead of a new wheel and keep what you've got.
I like that option... because the PC opens up access to a number of good racing sims, not just pCARS. If I was more of an all around gamer I may too be looking at pCARS on a console. I don't think a PC is needed for many gaming genres, but racing sims are one area that the PC is way ahead based on software and hardware options.

greedy bastards:banghead:

Tell me about it but, What can we do?....:indiff:

dHpQc.gif
:cheers:

If it really is a security chip that stops it I don't think Sony would be very happy about a dongle to bypass it. Then you could plug anything you want in, opening up possibilities for viruses, HDD access, hacking etc...

Look at the issue with HDCP on the PS4. After mass amounts of complaining from the Youtube community who record gameplays, Sony finally caved in and removed it.

What did people do before though? They used HDMI splitters. So I think a Dongle would be best.

I'm already irritated that I can't play USB Movies and Music (Legally of course) and now I can't use controllers?

Sony LOVES to piss off their customers

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but......

Looks like Logitech G27, G25, & DFGT NOT likely to be supported on PS4.

Project CARS announced official controllers for PS4 and Logitech is not on the PS4 list. Given that Project CARS extensive wheel support list for PC, I really believe that if it could have been possible, Logitech would have made the list for PS4.

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/beyond-reality-wheels-pedals-controllers

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/beyond-reality.html

Hard to believe we'll have to spend more than what the console costs to get a decent sim setup. About double if you want the clutch and shifter.

It really sucks!

I find it funny how there's so much Sony hate here.... Yet we all know Logitech formally left the console peripherals market a early 2013 and hasn't released a console product since.

A reminder: http://www.virtualr.net/logitech-end-of-an-era-in-sim-racing

From that link -

While the current G27 isn’t a console peripheral as such, it also works on the Playstation 3 and it remains to be seen whether it will be included in the cut.

So, is there actually any confirmation that G27 has been discontinued?

Simple, no PS4 nor Xbone for me.
And yes there is that note "that the list is not final", but i guess if there would have been a true effort from Sony/ wheel manufacturers, they would have known it was in the works more than half a year after the new consoles got released and the wheels would have made the list.

Looking forward to building a pc come 2015 and giving them all the middle finger.

Exactly, only money talks anymore. I have too many Logitech wheels to purchase any console that doesn't support them. I have the thrustmaster also, but even if support for that is included I'll likely pass on a PS4. Bottom line is just this: if you want my money then support my equipment, period.

From that link -

While the current G27 isn’t a console peripheral as such, it also works on the Playstation 3 and it remains to be seen whether it will be included in the cut.

So, is there actually any confirmation that G27 has been discontinued?
No. In fact both the DFGT and the G27 is being sold by Logitech on their site(s) - available for purchase right now. If anything that indicates that these products are still being manufactured (they're not selling NOS 1.5 year after discontinuing something). The development cost of these long running products was recovered many years ago, and as long as there's demand for them it makes sense manufacturing and selling them.

So Fanatec reacted to my post (I guess it´s Thomas) about support for our Fanatec wheels on PS4. And now I guess it is official, the wheels won´t work on next gen. They want us to buy a new one wich will be presented in 2 days. So that´s it for me with consoles. I will build a gaming PC and won´t support such greedy ****.

Exactly.

My old Motorola Smartphone is no longer compatible to the latest Android OS. Should I complain to Motorola?

When we developed the Xbox 360 wheels not even MS or Sony knew the final specs of the new consoles. How should WE know more than the console makers and make our wheels future proof?

If it would be so damneasy to make the old peripherals (not just wheels) compatible, why is not any other big brand doing that? You could sell a lot of adapters if there would be a legal way to do so.

We did what we could and at least you will be able to use all your accessories like shifters, pedals, handbrake, etc.

EDIT: I have to say, I missed the last sentence when I posted this. So Fanatec says we can use our old stuff like CSP pedals and CSS shifters on next gen too. So we "only" need to buy the wheel. That is a good news in an bad news at least.

I was planing to buy a CSW Base and the F1/BMW rim but now I will wait and see what we get in 2 days.

Last edited:
So Fanatec reacted to my post (I guess it´s Thomas) about support for our Fanatec wheels on PS4. And now I guess it is official, the wheels won´t work on next gen. They want us to buy a new one wich will be presented in 2 days. So that´s it for me with consoles. I will build a gaming PC and won´t support such greedy ****.

EDIT: I have to say, I missed the last sentence when I posted this. So Fanatec says we can use our old stuff like CSP pedals and CSS shifters on next gen too. So we "only" need to buy the wheel. That is a good news in an bad news at least.

I was planing to buy a CSW Base and the F1/BMW rim but now I will wait and see what we get in 2 days.

They've been hinting at a servo wheel.

http://www.virtualr.net/first-glimpse-new-fanatec-wheelbase-photo

http://www.virtualr.net/fanatec-new-wheelbase-coming

No. In fact both the DFGT and the G27 is being sold by Logitech on their site(s) - available for purchase right now. If anything that indicates that these products are still being manufactured (they're not selling NOS 1.5 year after discontinuing something). The development cost of these long running products was recovered many years ago, and as long as there's demand for them it makes sense manufacturing and selling them.
But it doesn't make sense to invest in making them work with new consoles, that would be a significant investment and for all we know the wheel engineering department at Logitech has already been laid off.....

Read Fanatec's post here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ents-updated-op.203494/page-364#post-10013104 to understand why Logitech has to invest in order to get on the PS4.

I was totaly focused on building a new gaming pc. Now Fanatec announces an wheel that is probably next gen compatible and we still can use our old Fanatec Pedals and Shifters. If it is something about 500 bucks I am interested in. Thomas said that they will reveal 3 new products. I guess the middle range product will be about 500 bucks. The servo wheel is about 1000 I guess and that is way to much for me.

I already have a PS4 and would not buy the new wheel for the PS4 compatibility because now I want the PC. But it would be nice to know that the wheel will work on next gen for coming titles like GT7 and stuff...

But it doesn't make sense to invest in making them work with new consoles, that would be a significant investment and for all we know the wheel engineering department at Logitech has already been laid off.....
IMO it would make sense since those wheels could then be sold to PS4 owners - the G27 is the most popular sim racing wheel after all. I'm not sure the cost of a driver would be 'significant', it's really not a big job at all. It's surely a lot more expensive to keep paying those management zombies to come up with reasons to not support existing wheels.

Read Fanatec's post here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ents-updated-op.203494/page-364#post-10013104 to understand why Logitech has to invest in order to get on the PS4.
I read that. I don't buy the argument, and my retort would be:

"Without Sony you cannot write drivers because you need a PS4 dev kit to do so."

So get one. That's how it's done.

"And even if you have a driver and get support for some games the whole compatibility means nothing if Polyphony (owned by Sony) does not support your wheel."

That sound more like FUD & sour grapes to me...

Of course both Fanatec and Logitech may have (perceived) sound financial reasons for "going the official way" as the Fanatec CEO says. Not least new product ranges that they'd like to sell...

The protectionism chip obsolescence chip "security chip" is said to only prevent "full functionality", with "full functionality" said to be the appearance in the console OS menus. Witness the T500RS support in pCARS on PS4. I take that, as well as some knowledge of the technical and cost issues involved, to indicate that we're being had - but it's not a human right to not be had, so I guess it's OK :P

IMO it would make sense since those wheels could then be sold to PS4 owners - the G27 is the most popular sim racing wheel after all. I'm not sure the cost of a driver would be 'significant', it's really not a big job at all. It's surely a lot more expensive to keep paying those management zombies to come up with reasons to not support existing wheels.

I read that. I don't buy the argument, and my retort would be:

"Without Sony you cannot write drivers because you need a PS4 dev kit to do so."

So get one. That's how it's done.

"And even if you have a driver and get support for some games the whole compatibility means nothing if Polyphony (owned by Sony) does not support your wheel."

That sound more like FUD & sour grapes to me...

Of course both Fanatec and Logitech may have (perceived) sound financial reasons for "going the official way" as the Fanatec CEO says. Not least new product ranges that they'd like to sell...

The protectionism chip obsolescence chip "security chip" is said to only prevent "full functionality", with "full functionality" said to be the appearance in the console OS menus. Witness the T500RS support in pCARS on PS4. I take that, as well as some knowledge of the technical and cost issues involved, to indicate that we're being had - but it's not a human right to not be had, so I guess it's OK :P

PREACH!!!!

Back