R.I.P Realistic Online Physics (actually, it's not a bad thing)

• Thread starter VBR
  • 114 comments
Johnnypenso
Man if that experience with the GT-R is somewhat universal that is welcome news. Be great if it translated to FF's too...👍👍

FF drivetrain should have excessive understeer in most scenarios. That's the way it is.

Glad to hear everyone's enjoying the physics update.

Couldn't agree more, the racing physics for a Racing Wheel have totally been screwed. If you want an arcade game buy GT4 or get Need for Speed. This is suppose to be a SIM game(with a wheel). I race every night with a big group/league and if this isn't fixed we will be moving to some other form of online racing. RIP online physics...I hope not!

Skuh
He's also on a dirty slippy road. Never driven a 22B so have no idea which is more realistic. I have driven an RB5 and I drove it hard. It was very hard to get the back out now matter how much grief I gave it. It just wanted to grip with a little bit of understeer. Thats it. There is no way I could have done a powerslide in it.

I own a Impreza P1 , which is a UK spec WRX STi Type-R , which like the 22B is a 2 door. All 3 of these cars will let the back step out a great deal when you use a lot of throttle. I've found the 22B/Type-R to be pretty close to how my own Impreza feels. My car is tuned up in real life , which makes it match 22B pretty well.

I drive a 2004 sti, and it is possible to get the back end out at exits if you set the differential to 65% rear power bias. 22b came with a DCCD (driver controlled center differential) to be able to set this manually. you dont need handbrake to drift it, just play with the steering (not counter-steering) and throttle.

low and mid speed sections are easy to get the tail out, you need to steer hard and throttle hard at the same time so that the front pulls initially causing the car to rotate more.
in high speed corner, stock sti's will have mid corner and exit understeer because 1)not enough power at that speed to coax it 2)stock suspension is setup up this way.

I drove the 2004 sti with my real life settings (Track Dailed suspension with slight power-oversteer on exit)....offline was just hopeless cause even with the upgraded diff, its still pushing at exits. but online was so much better as I can rotate the car or get the tail out slightly at exits.

I own a Impreza P1 , which is a UK spec WRX STi Type-R , which like the 22B is a 2 door. All 3 of these cars will let the back step out a great deal when you use a lot of throttle. I've found the 22B/Type-R to be pretty close to how my own Impreza feels. My car is tuned up in real life , which makes it match 22B pretty well.

Thanks for confirming this guys. 👍

The problem with comparing the new and old physics is that a majority of us have never been on any of the tracks at speed with any of the cars. So ultimately, a lot of us aren't exactly sure which is more realistic.
A lot of people are saying the old was better; possibly because it was easier and they've gotten used to it.

I do feel as though the update is more realistic.
The weight shifting is now a big factor, with more weighted cars providing more interesting drives.
It does feel more progressive when tyres lose lateral grip and begin to slide.

It is a step in the right direction, the suspension model does have room for improvement though, there are moments where it's unpredictable how the car will react to certain bumps on the track.

I'm lucky enough to have had motor sports experience in several chassis that are represented in GT5. In all the cases I could directly compare the offline physics were far more accurate than the online physics. The problems with the online physics were so dramatic at first that certain cars weren't even drivable on certain tracks. They got a bit closer over time with various updates, but they still caused huge problems for certain vehicles. There are a number of other threads discussing this, so no need to go into it all again here. In the end, no matter which physics you preferred, I think we can all agree that it is better to have a single physic model. Overall GT5 still does some things very well, but other things poorly. I definitely feel that neither model is really quite enough of a challenge - there is too much "forgiveness" written into the code, such that you can get away with doing things that in a real-life scenario would upset the balance of the car so greatly that recovery would be nearly impossible. Still, in other ways GT5 is a delight; especially in the way different cars feel so truly unique (something which I've still not found in any other sim to date).

Last edited:
Finally updated to 2.09 yesterday.

From my very personal point of view... online is, finally, enjoyable :) Did some laps with my Dodge Challenger (Race Hard Tires) and the sensation that I had the control of the car was supreme, something I didn't felt before online, even with race tires...

The difference between online and offline physics shouldn't have existed in 1st place... so, this is a change I welcome :) It gives me hopes that maybe PD can save from themselves...

I like the new physics a lot better, the cars seem much more predictable now. Before it felt like tire grip was an on off switch, if you let off in a drift the cars would suddenly and violently regain grip and veer of the track.

i am fine with the old physics, i am fine with the new physics, i just hope PD doesnt change it again,i am tired of having to readjust all my setups every few months to compensate for new tire wire, new online/offline physics, PD,you made online/offline basically the same, thank you!, now stop tinkering.

Fix/update other things we all want. no more tire wear updates, give us new dlc, spec 3.0, premium cars, whatever.

I like the new physics a lot better, the cars seem much more predictable now. Before it felt like tire grip was an on off switch, if you let off in a drift the cars would suddenly and violently regain grip and veer of the track.
👍 Except the regain of grip is realistic depending on the tire compound. It's obviously going to be a greater effect using softer tires over hard.

Be glad you haven't got leader boards to wipe after every change.
:yuck:

I like the new physics other than the fact that I can't finish above last in online events with other GTP members.

All they seem to have done in my opinion is give the cars softer suspension to try and mimick tyre flex/grip a bit better.
A funny side effect of this is it has made the Mclaren mp4 a fantastic easy to control drift car when stock.
It was a right pig before.
They seem to have altered braking distances slightly too (longer) unless this is just another side effect of softer suspension?

Offline tested btw!

I love the new physics!

The on/off traction from before was so unrealistic and terrible. One second you'd feel in complete control of the car, the next second the back end would violently slide out and there would be no way to avoid spinning.

There's less of that snappy oversteer now, you can actually feel when the car is losing grip and correct it.

And the weight transfer feeling is great too. However it is more challenging now because over-correcting can send you around much more easily than before.

Very happy overall.

I don't know what to think of this, I suppose I did like the looser online physics in a way, required more dainty steering movements, but the offline physics were just easier so going faster was more accessible more of the time... that being said I felt like if I did a fast lap online I earnt it more.

Not had access to my PS3 for a month as I have emigrated to Australia. Would love to try patch 2.09 and the new physics for myself.

If true, PD just can't help messing up, and are clearly out of touch with what the online community of GT want, as we are the guys still playing the game.

VBR
I performed my own test for online vs offline physics aswell, not too long ago. I used a stock Caterham on Sports Hard tyres with all aids off except ABS on 1. On Suzuka East in Practice Mode the car was practically glued to the road, even steering wildy in corners to shake the rear end loose had no effect. Then with the exact same settings in My Lounge online, the car came alive & was oversteering pretty much as you would expect it would IRL. There was a huge difference before 2.09, especially with certain cars.

I performed the exact same test again yesterday, here are the results.

The offline physics have changed quite a lot, there is now a considerable amount of oversteer offline in this car, & it's a lot of fun to drive. The physics felt pretty much the same online too, but this car did have much more oversteer before.

Conclusion: The new physics update is good & a step in the right direction. However, some cars I liked before I no longer like as much & vice versa.

Just drove a ZR-1 C6 last night on the Supercar Festival seasonal event... completely stock. What a blast I had... some corners on the limit of the grip, without drifting.... very very progressive even with all that power. That's what I expect from a car with that massive tires... and the behavior it's the same online as I stated in some laps with the same car. Loving 2.09!

diegorborges
Just drove a ZR-1 C6 last night on the Supercar Festival seasonal event... completely stock. What a blast I had... some corners on the limit of the grip, without drifting.... very very progressive even with all that power. That's what I expect from a car with that massive tires... loving 2.09!

Right

Driving RUF RGT ABS 0 is amazing after the update :) This is what Porsche feels like.

Sure, that's what the newer somewhat sanitized Porsche's feel like. If you wanna know what the purest "driver's era" Porsche's feel like, drive the BTR or Yellowbird :)

Porsches of all eras are almost ALL fantastic of course, but I wouldn't trade my classic-era pre-PSM Porsches for any newer model. 1 man, 1 machine, zero computers, no power steering, no power brakes. Raw man, seriously raw. :)

I have gotten to drive these beasts online a bit now, and yeah, the new online physics feels pretty darn good so far. A bit too forgiving maybe, but overall definitely convincing and in terms of handling dynamics pretty accurate. They just need to program out whatever that "extra forgiveness" code is, and they would be spot-on I think. I can definitely pull-off some maneuvers in the GT5 renditions that I sure as hell wouldn't be able to pull-off in the real thing. But like I said, it all seems to "feel right" now, it's just all a bit too easy to fix once you get outta-sorts.

I like them. There really is no need for Racing Softs. The new grip levels for all tires are insane. Driving in rain is much easier now as well.

Had a brief Shuffle session last night, and though I couldn't put my finger on it, it did feel a tiny bit different.

(Man that sounded a bit wrong...)

Back