Sciaru BRZFRS (BreezeFrees)

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 5,604 comments
Key words in bold.

This car is not about straight line speed. A lot of people don't get that.

The Miata has never been about straight line speed either. :sly:

Yeah I understand but still. It's a good car but I think it would be even better with 300 horsepower instead of 200.

With that said, Insideline managed to get 6.3 seconds 0-60 with the Scion FRS compared to 7.0 in the Subaru BRZ. Which is quite a bit better.

It's a great car and I'm glad someone finally made what everyone has been asking for (just like the Genesis) but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people are holding out for a turbo version.

Insideline has said they expect there to be a turbo version, I think one of the head engineers said there likely will also.

TVC
They need to release a turbo version. I know they are planning to and that this version is mainly meant for driving dynamics but it's still slower than the top Fiat 500 and a Civic Si (in a straight line).
Quit dope before it quits you.

Quit dope before it quits you.

????

I don't know what you are trying to say was wrong in my post. When Insideline tested the BRZ the 0-60 time the got was slower than a Fiat 500 Abarth. And they got 7.0 seconds 0-60 in a 2012 Civic Si which would either be the same if that is with a 1-foot roll out or slower if it isn't.

And if there was no demand for a turbo on this car companies like Greddy wouldn't be designing them.

Come back when you've cleaned up.
It's the same damn car.

Yeah obviously. I'm just stating what Insideline got. I don't see why you are trying to argue with that.

"The data reveals that the BRZ actually accelerated quicker initially, but at 19 mph the Subaru laid over a bit and the Scion powered ahead and never looked back. The explanation is equal parts launch technique and gearchange speed. The Scion's tire-spinning launch allowed it power through the 4000-rpm torque hole we observed in our dyno testing where the Subaru bogged down briefly. Plus, our BRZ tester was plagued with a finicky 1-2 gearchange which ate up precious time en route to 60 mph.

So is the 2013 Scion FR-S fast enough? Yes and no. It isn't slow, but it's so capable and communicative that it could easily exploit more power."

http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s/2013/2013-scion-fr-s-full-test.html

On their test of the BRZ first gear stopped at 59 MPH.

"At 7.3 seconds, its 0-60 time (7.0 seconds using a 1-foot rollout like on a drag strip) isn't going to win over many drag racers. But this time comes with an explanation. The rev limiter in 2nd gear kicks in at 59.2 mph, requiring a second shift to achieve the milestone and slowing the time considerably. The quarter-mile passes in 15.3 seconds at 92.1 mph. Judge the BRZ on its acceleration alone and you'll be disappointed. But it should surprise exactly no one that 200 horsepower pushing around 2,734 pounds isn't going to thrill John Force."

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/brz/2013/2013-subaru-brz-full-test-and-video.html

What's hard to grasp? If there were 10 tests of the same car, and in all but one of the tests the results were similar - anyone who clings to that one test to support any kind of point is stupid or high. So my working theory that you're on dope is getting more support with every additional post you make. Keep at it.

What's hard to grasp? If there were 10 tests of the same car, and in all but one of the tests the results were similar - anyone who clings to that one test to support any kind of point is stupid or high. So my working theory that you're on dope is getting more support with every additional post you make. Keep at it.

Why are you getting so upset about this. No reason to take it so personally and become a jerk. I only looked at two tests. One was 7.0 and the other was 6.3. Neither is exactly fast and I understand that this car isn't suppose to be the fastest car out.

At the same time a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T starts at $25,125 but has 274 horse power. It doesn't drive as well but it also doesn't have a $5,000 markup.

A $5,000 markup makes this car about the same price as an STI.

If I didn't know any better I would think you designed this car since you seem to be taking everything I write so personally.

Are you saying they should not release a turbo version?

TVC
Yeah I understand but still. It's a good car but I think it would be even better with 300 horsepower instead of 200.

It goes against the point of the car. It is supposed to be low-weight, easy to drive, and affordable. A turbo is only going to make things more difficult for the average person, and from my own perspective, will already add unnecessary cost to a car that is already $2-3,000 over what it should have been.

Trust me, I'd love to have one. I still want to buy one. But even if they offered a turbo, I'd still look for the lowest-cost option with nothing on it. That's the way it was meant to be.

It goes against the point of the car. It is supposed to be low-weight, easy to drive, and affordable. A turbo is only going to make things more difficult for the average person, and from my own perspective, will already add unnecessary cost to a car that is already $2-3,000 over what it should have been.

Trust me, I'd love to have one. I still want to buy one. But even if they offered a turbo, I'd still look for the lowest-cost option with nothing on it. That's the way it was meant to be.

That's true but I think there is still a large group of people who are waiting to see if this will be turboed. I think it is a great car as it is right now but could use more power and a turbo would be the best way of doing things. The car is great as it stands right now but a turbo model will make it appeal more to the STI crowd.

And I do see what you are saying. This car should have been closer to $22,000 than $25,000 and if a turbo adds $3,000-$4,000 to the car it is starting to become close to the price of a 370Z. Though, I think this car would be better than a 370Z.

On the other hand, the STI has been extremely successful and a turboed version of this car would be similar to a sports coupe version of an STI. RWD two door vs AWD four door. I think they would compliment each other well.

As long as they offer both I think having the option for a turbo version would be great or even just an STI version that has better suspension, brakes, seats, tires/rims and a little more horse power.

It seems that Subaru/Toyota definitely have something planned. Whether it is an N/A STI version or a turbo version or turbo STI version or some other combination I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also I should have written "about 300." 250-270 sounds good and might be a more realistic estimate.

250HP is what they'll get out of it NA. That's what they had planned for the NA STI, or refresh, isn't it?

250HP is what they'll get out of it NA. That's what they had planned for the NA STI, or refresh, isn't it?

I'm not sure but it seems like they are not planning to turbo it any time soon. But they may change their mind if sales are not as good as expected, especially in the long run.

I generally prefer N/A to forced induction but in cars like these turbo is sometimes better, at least to me. Just because you can do very limited mods and get to the power you want (tune, intake, full exhaust) then you can focus on another aspect of the car. 250 would make this car similar to an S2000 and would be a really good amount of power from an N/A four cylinder. Pretty much everyone likes this car (or the idea of it at least) but a lot of people just look at the 0-60 and other acceleration numbers and simply aren't impressed.

Of course there is always the possibility they are just saying that because they don't want to hurt sales. If they said they will be making a 250+ hp turbo version for the next model year sales would likely be a lot worse than if they said they probably won't be.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirmed-no-scion-fr-s-turbo-subaru-brz-maybe-eventually/

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-working-faster-version-brz

There aren't many engines to use as comparisons here...
The K20 in my FA5 was fantastic but Im sure the BRZ has a different feel since it runs with more torque.
Once a turbo subaru engine gets into the brz all bets are off. :lol:
Who wants to start a poll on when the jdm 2.0 sti engine (ej205?) ends up in the BRZ?

^Never, or for not too long (ignoring some drifting one-offs). Too much will have to be upgraded (and moved for clearance) to handle the torque, adding more weight in the process.
If the car had 300 HP and costed $30k+, the same trolls would complain that it's not 350,400 or whatever and overpriced by $X.

Sounded like he wants a turbo sti engine in the brz and no more complaints will be made. :P
I can't wait to see one, I just hope it's not a scion. :(
I really don't like scion.

I really do like the Scion because it's got Toyota suspension tuning and will be a lot more playful and tail-happy. Dorifto to work every morning. I will be the better performing car, you just watch.

-> ...
I really don't like scion.

^ Yes! Subaru should take the most credit, sure Toyota did the design, the DI, and the cash. But Subaru did most of the painstaking work, and Subie builds the car. The only thing I have beef with the Scion version is that they only do the hype-marketing, naming it FR-S instead of aE, and stick a Scion badge on it. If it was a Toyota it will then be a different story. ;)

I guess he doesnt like the car that much...

Yeah, saw that the other day.

One thing about the video annoys me, and the other thing might explain why he doesn't like it that much.

The thing that annoys me is that he goes on about a 200hp car not really being suitable for overtaking. Seriously? I've overtaken (safely, frequently) in a car with 60 horsepower, so if someone can't overtake in a 200hp car then that's either poor planning or simply trying to overtake with too small a gap to be safe.

The thing that may explain why he doesn't like it much (and may explain the overtaking issues too - but probably not) is that the car he's driving is an automatic. God knows why the first BRZ being brought into the UK is an auto, but apparently it is.

I don't mind Henry Catchpole generally, he's a good writer and from other videos a perfectly handy driver, but I can't help feeling he's maybe just a little spoilt by driving around in more powerful stuff on a daily basis...

Did you see how he blew past the car he overtook? I'd say that's plenty quick. :lol:

Wish I could drive it across Europe. I'd give it an honest review.

I said Scion, not The Scion. :lol:
Haters gonna hate... Am I right? :P :lol:
jk, but in all seriousness.

I don't like the brand Scion, I wish Toyota would have used the GT86 in the US instead of using the FRS as a defibrillator for Scion.

Same here. I sometimes wonder if Toyota is even aware there are enthusiasts in the US (Be it AE86 or driving in general) that don't give two flaps about Scion.

They made it a Scion in the US because when noobs crash it, old farts won't say, "Those toyoters are dangerous! I'm taking my Buick in fah sarvice!"

I don't like the brand Scion, I wish Toyota would have used the GT86 in the US instead of using the FRS as a defibrillator for Scion.

I understand your opinion but honestly, it's literally the same exact car. I saw the FR-S and it even retains the GT86 logo that's present on the Toyota version. The only differences I noticed were the Scion badges and steering wheel. The rims are also the same, but with a Scion logo on it.

Scion exists to appeal to Generation Y and it has! Just look at all the TC's we see driving around streets. I'm sure Toyota would love to appeal to the enthusiasts but the fact of the matter stands: enthusiasts don't outnumber the general public. Business is business and in order to make more money, Toyota has to do what they have to do in order to make it. Us enthusiasts might be a little disgruntled, but we just have to deal with it because deep down, we still love Toyota and its cars.

Besides, it wouldn't be hard for anyone to get the FR-S and convert the interior and exterior to look like the GT86. I'm probably going to do that when I get the FR-S if I'm not one of the lucky 6000 people to get the BR-Z.👍

Back