The Nürburgring vs Circuito de la Sierra

The Nürburgring vs Circuito de la Sierra

• Nürburgring

Votes: 163 64.4%
  • Circuito de la Sierra

Votes: 90 35.6%

• Total voters
Sarthe!

I have yet to race Sierra, but I'd probably prefer it to the nurburgring because I'm terrible there.

Comparing apple and oranges! the Ring is real while the Circuito of Sierra is a virtual road with Spanish inspired scenery from the Ronda area.
Why choose anyway, enjoy them both and drive them both anytime you want!
They are both great, AFAIK.

I'll always vote ring just because the nearest thing to it in terms of legend is Circuit de la Sarthe. That being said I think not only is Sierra an amazing track, it's a track i think would be amazing in real life to drive. It's pretty much a greatest hits collection of my favorite highways and is really testing at times. The sheer size makes it difficult to memorize and the bends are similar to ones I drive in real life. It's gorgeous and has bridges and wooded bits and hillclimbs and gorgeous bends around a beautiful lake. It's a testament to what PD can do, and is a far more ambitious project than PD has ever attempted with their own tracks. Ring is for me a classic, like a C2 Stingray, but Sierra is a C7. Perhaps a bit too new and glittery to be a favorite, but still an absolute blast to tackle.

Now can anybody suggest a nice comfy drive for enjoying the scenery ?
Hands down Horizon. Beautiful countryside and mountain roads, throw in a Lotus Exige and you're on your way, problem solved...I would expect Horizon 2 on the XOne to be absolutely gorgeous.

Hands down Both are winners.
As I've said before,
'Ring = Racers Track
Sierra = Drivers track.

driving around the 'Ring at 150km/h, half throttle in high gears is tiring and boring
doing the same on Sierra lets you hear a more "real world" exhaust note from the car (without the blender sounds from the intake or excessive wind-noise), you're still going quick and need to brake at reasonable places to get around the tight corners, change back a couple of gears and give it a bootfull up the hills.

When doing so, aiming to keep the car in a single lane is still very challenging...

Hands down Horizon.
Drive
280px-Simca_Chrysler_Horizon_GLS_1979.jpg

I mean, in context how did you get that far?

I'll always prefer the Ring, but right now I am completely in love with Sierra. To slide through that banked sweepers on a Yellowbird while watching the beautiful scenery is really something.

What are you doing off the track...? :D

I like the couple of wider lookout/ parking areas.
For doing heli's.. :P

What are you doing off the track...? :D

I like the couple of wider lookout/ parking areas.
For doing heli's.. :P

In certain places though the run off areas don't extend to the actual wall, with an invisible barrier about 2 feet away from it instead. In fact in certain areas you can't fit a full car off the road. So when you accidentally go a bit wide on a turn instead of just a wheel off the track that you can recover from you'll smack the wall discounting your laptime

Sounds fair, but..

IN all forms of racing (F1, Touring cars, etc) there's been a lot of time and effort spent on "softening" the edges of a track, moving walls back, etc to make them safer, so drivers start using more and more real-estate.

The old Indycar road circuit here in Australia was 99% concrete walls to the edge of the track. if you went over the white line, you hit concrete. Drivers could not get away with "running wide"
That how i've always felt about track edges. the white line (or ripple strip) is the outer bounds of the track, stay inside it or it does not count.
if you start to think of every white line as a concrete wall, you train yourself to stay on the road

run high in Nascar, there's no run-off, or astro-turf to protect the underside of the car

I like them both.. The nurburg ring is a rewarding challenge.. Sierra is a fast flowing pleasure to drive..

Now can anybody suggest a nice comfy drive for enjoying the scenery ?

There is new game coming out this November called The Crew, 6000 miles of open road, in the US, you can drive from coast to coast, which takes 90 minutes ;)

The 'Ring I consider superior in terms of difficulty and honouring the atmosphere of a real race track, but Sierra/Zahara beats it out in every other way for me.

Short and sweet: it's like the Nurburgring, only more fun; and sometimes a little more dangerous. :D
If the Nurburgring ever had a modern re-incarnation -- a kind of "kid" version of itself, this would be it.

The only real gripe I have with Sierra -- as was already mentioned in an earlier post -- is the lack of any actual "texture" or imperfections in the road surface... unless you count some of the later banks and the transition to the bridges. I took a kart out on it, and actually flipped it backwards when it caught the raised edge leading onto the bridge.

And then there's the sheer cliff on the side of the hill. If it weren't for that invisible barrier ...

No contest, the Nordschleife is the superior race track. I've only run one lap at Sierra and I didn't enjoy it. It's very arcadey and reminds me of games like Outrun and TDU (as has been said by many). I guess Sierra might grow on me, but will it ever stack up against The Ring? Not for me it won't...

For me, the Ring is without a doubt more challenging, but you're not going to get great racing there unless you take to the grass or force somebody out of the way. Sierra is just wide enough to provide for really good racing. So it's really a question of what you want: A great challenge, or a great race.

Seriosly calling BS. We race here in the GT300 endurance and it's actually a great track for racing with loads of overtaking possibilities.

absolutely no need to be dirty, go in grass or sending someone out for passing. You should find better friends to race with lol

Simple question, which of the two hardest tracks do you like the most?

2 hardest tracks? I find Ascari more difficult than either of these 2. Dont know what it is but I always struggle, maybe I just need to put some more time into it.

Sierra is great, but its always going to be the Ring for me

VBR
No it doesn't. It consists of real topography where PD have put in their own roads.
Nope.

A big part of the track is based on the existing road. They obviously put racing kerbs in there and stuff like that, but the layout is based in big part on the existing road on the real location.

see the mapping zahara de la sierra thread for more info.

Sierra is more easy and fun to drive around just for the sake of doing so.
Nurb is more of a technical track for actual racing.

It's more about what you are into, if you prefer actual racing, technical turns you should keep playing on the Nurb. But if you just wanna cruise around for fun and enjoy the scenario you'll likely prefer Sierra over Nurb, which is my case, I mostly end up bored driving around the ring, since the whole thing just feel so bland, but at the same time I actually enjoy racing in there for the track layout.

Don't think these two tracks should be compared to each other, since the only thing they have in common is the size.

Yeah I agree with you completely. Also I found that Sierra is great for that whole country road cruise/cross country style race. It feels (sencery wise) quite majestic for lack of a better word. Sorry for my terrible spelling.

Personally Nurburg is great for a race track, an enjoyable technical circuit. However Sierra is more like a public road that you have gone for a driving day on with your super car. It is just a fun track to drive as it feels like a public road (minus the traffic) that you can cruise on as opposed to a proper race track. Also in terms of corners a lot of the ones in Sierra are designed like you would a real road with sight distance and corners that could be taken within the lane easily within the speed limit.

in short Im not voting as both tracks are different.

Nurburg = race track
Sierra = Open road for thrashing your Ferrari Enzo

Is Sierra longer than the Nurburgring 24H layout?

Normally I wouldn't ask something that simple but I've still not managed to properly install 1.12

Normally I wouldn't ask something that simple but I've still not managed to properly install 1.12

I read somewhere that it is a few km longer than the 'ring & about the same distance shorter than SSRX.

Last edited:

I read somewhere that it is a few km longer than the 'ring & about the same distance shorter than SSRX.

Nürburgring 24h layout : 25.359 km
Circuito de la Sierra : 27.000 km
Special Stage Route X : 30.283 km

edit: tonight I might check out the average speeds with the N24 and CdlS, I was surprised how long Sierra took to lap, given it's only a little longer than the N24 layout, and it seems to be quite flat out for most of the time.

Sierra for what its represents that PD can do.
It is an example track from the up coming course creator function. It is a massive improvement on the created courses from GT5.
Plus the new course creator is also supposed to work with a mobile GPS tracking app. So that you can track the roads that you drive on and reproduce them in GT6.
So what if to make Sierra, all PD did was drive along those roads in Zahara in Spain and the track was generated automatically? Maybe it linked up the non-road parts or maybe they walked or cycled those bits.

Someone said on another thread that they didn't like the background and environment of the Sierra course and that it looked like it had just been taken from Google Earth or something similar.
I hope that's true.

Imagine driving around the streets by your home with the tracking app and having it rendered into a course in GT6 complete with the backgrounds and views. Then racing your friends on it.
Or doing a track day at your local race track and suddenly having that available in the game too. Then sharing it with your friends and the community. We could then end up with almost every real life track in the world available in the game.

That's why I think Sierra could be the greatest track in GT6 and possibly in any racing game ever!

Nürburgring 24h layout : 25.359 km
Circuito de la Sierra : 27.000 km
Special Stage Route X : 30.283 km

edit: tonight I might check out the average speeds with the N24 and CdlS, I was surprised how long Sierra took to lap, given it's only a little longer than the N24 layout, and it seems to be quite flat out for most of the time.

Just to finish this off, did a lap in the BMW VGT of both, my average speeds were 110mph for the N24 circuit, and 117mph for Sierra, so Sierra a fraction under 7% faster than the max 'ring.

Back