Forza

Arwin wrote;
I will probably get/buy it anyway, because I write as a journalist and need to know the game first hand so that I can write about why I think it is or isn't good, how it is different from GT4, etc.

Being a journalist, I think that will be "get", not buy. ;) :)

I read somewhere, not sure if it was here, that the cars they'll have in Forza will be cars people want. Taken from top 100 lists in magazine's. That sounded OK, until I just went to IGN and had a look at some new screenshots. http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/682/682857/imgs_1.html

One of the cars shown was a Toyota Trueno. :eek: Who the hell wants that in the game. :confused:

What top 100 list was that on? :lol:

I very much doubt that Forza will include loadsa cars that people want because they can't just go off with a list and expect loads of manufacturers to allow them access......if that was the case then GT4 would have every car in the world (talking about licences here).....whatever it is I don't have and Xbox so......

I think I have come to a conclusion of my own on the Forza / GT4 thing......

Forza is a real driving simulator for a different kind of driving.....things like modding cars, tuning and buying after market parts are all encorperated into "driving"........I recon Forza aims to go down the driving simulator route which is the NSFU, arcadey, more fun than serious type of thing. Forza should not really be compared to GT4 because GT4 shows the spirit and passion for driving on a more intense scale which not many people find desirable in a game. I have talked to people who just found GT3 too long and boring to complete...they rather have an arcadey, loadsa dream cars, more of the sweet sugar coated stuff (e.g. damage rather than AI) type of game.......

Forza is pretty, quick and sweet.......GT4 is determination, passion and intensity

Different people......different opinions on the defenition of driving simulator......different games, for different people!

But hey...........thats just my conclusion.......I choose GT4 because it has history and more staying power......it invented and revolutionised the 'car game' and also I feel that the Playstation platform shows a dedicated passion to gaming, as equal as the game developers.

Robin :D

"I recon Forza aims to go down the driving simulator route which is the NSFU, arcadey, more fun than serious type of thing."

Umm... Read the developer commentary. I doubt they need another arcade racer on the xbox with PGR2 and the inevitable slew of NFSU clones cornering the market already. They're aiming for a sim, and that's what they intend on delivering.

Also... ps2 being a more "passionate" platform? What does that have to do with Gran Turismo and Forza, if anything? Doesn't make a lick of sense, as developers are the ones passionate about games, not the Sony or Microsoft corporations. They just want good games on their consoles so people will buy them, simply.

damage rather then AI?
from what i heard Forza has damage AND better AI. The physics are on par with or more realistic then GT4s. I dont see how you can conclude that its a more arcadey/less serious type game. To me the opposite seems true (judging from reports)

ah, you think what u want to think i guess. We'll know soon enough.

I'm just glad im a multiconsole owner, and thus can enjoy any game, no matter who made it.

Competition should sharpen both knives. Forza will motivate the GT folk to put out an even better product next time around, and Forza will be working like mad to catch up. I think we the consumers win in this situation.

Having both the Xbox and the PS2, I will get both for sure.

Another game to try and maybe buy. Why are Gran Turismo fans so defensive? Did Polyphony digital put you through college? Did a copy of Gran Turismo 3 save you from a burning building? Did Bill gates steal your woman? Relax.

polyphony Digital is the reason i'm going through College, but only because i want to work there :)

and yet, i'll still play and enjoy Forza

Right.......What I am saying is that Forza is mixing to many elements into the game which is "posioning" their ultimate aim to become a driving simulator in the same sense as GT. By adding NFSU styled stuff and influences from other games you end up with a muddled game which is trying to hard to be too many things...racing decals and body kits don't look right with forza.....like they would not right with GT4 as well. If Microsoft is aiming for a pure, distilled racing game which is all about the passion and determination of the sport.........then I think that they are going the wrong way about it.........Their claim to it being a best driving simluator is wrong....reason, cos it doesnt look like a carbon copy of GT template. Xbox (In my eyes) has thought........lets take the best from every racing game and make it into one ultimate game.....their thoery.............

PGR2 + NFSU + GT4 + cars that no other game company can get + Xbox ........

= The best driving simulator............that is the WRONG FORMULA!!!

As for the Playstation being a passonate console......Sony computer entertainment and hardcore gamers making a console for other hardcore gamers. A console made by the people, for the people........

I doubt Bill Gates (which by the way will never steal my woman!) is a hardcore gamer.....him and his high up, white shirt team sat around a table and had one goal.......take what GT4 has.......what is doesnt......and that will mean better.....
That is how they looked at it with the PS2 and Xbox.

Xbox maybe more technologically advanced.......but its not the 'bad boy' 'street cred' console which is the playstation francise....... Xbox has the power but it is not the right image......Microsoft just don't look like they should DO consoles.....

As for the damage and AI quote......I phrased that badly......what I ment was...(in the sense of what you see in a person) some people want the looks.....and other want the personality.......like windows xp and windows 2000......some want the performance and others want the performance...but they want it BLUE! I really can't explain what I am trying to say well......but Forza in the iceing and GT4 in the cake without the icing.....(too many analogies for now!!)

To sum up.........Forza is not going to ever be Gran Turismo......Never, therefore it should not be compared to it........It is a different game.....whatever Mircosoft "claim" it to be.......The real driving simulator it maybe, but not in a GT sense.......

But, as I said.........this is my viewpoint.....you may feel totally different! I hope this has cleared up what I was trying to say.....

Robin :D

For a start Robin, you don't know that the Forza combination of features doesn't work. You assume and want to believe that, without any facts. Just as you believe GT4 will be the best game ever without any facts.

Unless of course you've played the finished games.

As for the PS2 being a passionate console. Er, I think that's your beliefs kicking in again. If you bought your PS2 because you think it's the trendiest machine, and you feel passionate about your PS2, then fine, enjoy yourself.

I'm sure some XBox, Gamecube and PC gamers feel the same about their machine of choice.

What you can say about the PS2, is that it's the most popular.

I personally have bought my consoles in the past because of the games that the machine has, or is going to have.

If you choose your consoles or PC's a different way, fine.

yeah.....I was only putting my point across......everyone has different opinions on the subject.

Robin

Forza is impressive, but it is being considered the GT4 of Xbox. But it seems that you can just modify the cars like street racing machines.

Robin it's okay to have an opinion but people think calling Forza arcadey or saying it has the wrong formula is stupid since it's ao far looking more realistic than GT. It's like calling black white, I'm sure if you saw a nice expensive red car and some guy said thats an ugly cheap blue car you'd say he was stupid,tyhe ugly bit is okay because thats his opinion but he's then saying it's things it's not. Like you are about Forza.

I guess you read the other forum this continued on to???.....The one in my last post!

I said that is gave and arcadey look.....not the AI was arcadey! Besides it doesnt matter now....I just said what I see of GT4 and Forza from my opinon.....

PS2 and GT4!! forever!

p.s......I ment the wrong formula to equal GT4...if that is what Forza is aiming for.

Oaky, just one last point, Bill gates doesn't make the decisions on what games to make or when to make them. And he won't steal my woman either ;). I will defend Forza until I play it and then I wil give an honest opinion on it, however I won't buy it even if it's better than GT4 because I don't have an X-Box, and I won't buy one for that one game. I might get it if there's an X-Box emulator of any kind though around.

OK........Just a question, Would you buy a PS2 (if you didn't have one) for GT4....would you feel that that game is worth a console for? Like when people bought Xbox because of Halo

p.s........I thought that Bill Gates would have some input as the game is made by Microsoft games studios.....there own in house developer

robin2223
OK........Just a question, Would you buy a PS2 (if you didn't have one) for GT4....would you feel that that game is worth a console for? Like when people bought Xbox because of Halo

There was a bad thing about that Halo though...EVERYONE wouldn't shut up about it (or at least the people around here)

I understand your meaning of the phrase arcadey now Robin. :) But I can see where the confusion came from. If you just say "arcadey graphics", people wouldn't get the wrong end of the stick. Most people here relate the word arcadey with the physics model of the cars.

I'm sure the team behind Forza are aiming to be better than GT4, not an equal to it. If you plan to draw, you mostly lose. Good luck to them though, I think they'll need it.l

robin2223

p.s........I thought that Bill Gates would have some input as the game is made by Microsoft games studios.....there own in house developer
First off, not just for GT4 no, however I bought my PS2 originally for GT3, MGS2 GTA3 and Burnout, okay thoes are on the X-Box now exept for GT3 but they wern't then, currently the only other games I would buy an X-Box for are available on the PS2 as well ie Burnout 2, Race driver ect. So the only one I would want that I can't have on PS2 as well is Forza.

Secondly Bill Gates doesn't have much to do with the X-Box at all let alone what games he makes, Microsoft is so big each division runs as an indipendant company and Bill's just one of many chairman that makes decisions on the companyies as a whole not each individual product. For exaomle theres a Microsoft office here that has nothing to do with Microsoft in the US.

Secondly Bill Gates doesn't have much to do with the X-Box at all let alone what games he makes, Microsoft is so big each division runs as an indipendant company and Bill's just one of many chairman that makes decisions on the companyies as a whole not each individual product. For exaomle theres a Microsoft office here that has nothing to do with Microsoft in the US.

Yeah.....I think when I say Bill Gates I'm going a bit too far to the top.....(people associate Microsoft with him!) What I mean is the head of the Xbox gaming devision is likely to be a similarly white shirted (nothing against white shirts! :lol:) person who is trained in the "rip em off and make money the easy way" code which we have come to expect of Microsoft....I maybe (maybe wrongly) associating windows with Xbox......but, hey its the same company, same overall ethos.....same goals.....I see it as they run it like windows!

I'm gonna drop this now.....The hidden Xbox Fanboy's are gonna get there flamethrowers ready!......But my point is .........this is a Gran Turismo forum...you are gonna get PS2 fans in here so don't looked so shocked

As GTXLR once said in the forza/gt4 thread.....

But do you seriously expect to get unbiased opinion in a GT4 Forum?

Robin

Yep it's the other evil guy not quite as close to the top, Sony has evil guys there to take as much of your money as possible too though you know. My buisness has me finding way how to get people to pay as much as possible for mobile phone's and related products and go on higher tariff's, it's buisness. Although Microsoft and Windows does seem to be the best exapmle of this around at the moment.

does anyone ever think of the age & technology of the PS2, compared to the XBOX? for a game system this old to produce something this stunning is absolutely awesome. thats why i think the XBOX could have done a better job. just imagane what the PS3 will look like or even GT5 :eek:

Yeah.........I guess thats life eh! Well......Ive said my piece....gonna go now. Yes I like GT4, yes I like the PS2......and yes this is the Gran Turismo forum!

Goodnite!

does anyone ever think of the age & technology of the PS2, compared to the XBOX? for a game system this old to produce something this stunning is absolutely awesome. thats why i think the XBOX could have done a better job. just imagane what the PS3 will look like or even GT5

Thankyou! :) 👍 :bowdown:

McLaren F1GTR
Forza is impressive, but it is being considered the GT4 of Xbox. But it seems that you can just modify the cars like street racing machines.

I think less people would take issue with it if it were indeed being called "The GT4 of XBOX" (meaning the best XBOX has to offer), instead of being good enough to actually topple GT4 itself.

dude, Sony is a company too, and every company wants to make money and dominate the market. Just look at their market share!
Imo youre attitude is similar to the attitudes of Nintendo and Sega fans when Sony entered the market.
Alot of people are blaming Sony for making gaming more casual. Many of the older gamers still say they had more fun in the 8 bit -16 bit era when games were less casual, had more depth and took alot longer to complete. (finishing zelda 1 took me over a year)
So is Sony really to blame? Prolly not, if they hadnt done it someone else would have. But just like Sony stepped in then, MS is stepping in now.

Just try to keep an open mind and look at the consoles and games objectively... dont keep staring at the name of the company or the brand.

khrys771
does anyone ever think of the age & technology of the PS2, compared to the XBOX? for a game system this old to produce something this stunning is absolutely awesome. thats why i think the XBOX could have done a better job. just imagane what the PS3 will look like or even GT5 :eek:

The PS2 didnt produce GT4, Polyphony Digital did. Extremely talented, focused and ambitious game developers. That's all that matters, whether on XBOX or PS2 or Gamecube or PC.

I think Forza is lacking the monumentally skilled artists that Polyphony has under their wing, but their reasoning is sound. Make a great race/driving "simulator" that people will love, especially the automotive community. Sounds dandy to me.

P.S. the Bill Gates comment was just a jibe. Sheesh, you guys really DO need to relax. Isn't the XBOX head honcho Robbie Bach or Peter Moore anyhow?

robin2223
Right.......What I am saying is that Forza is mixing to many elements into the game which is "posioning" their ultimate aim to become a driving simulator in the same sense as GT. By adding NFSU styled stuff and influences from other games you end up with a muddled game which is trying to hard to be too many things...racing decals and body kits don't look right with forza.....like they would not right with GT4 as well. If Microsoft is aiming for a pure, distilled racing game which is all about the passion and determination of the sport.........then I think that they are going the wrong way about it.........Their claim to it being a best driving simluator is wrong....reason, cos it doesnt look like a carbon copy of GT template. Xbox (In my eyes) has thought........lets take the best from every racing game and make it into one ultimate game.....their thoery.............

PGR2 + NFSU + GT4 + cars that no other game company can get + Xbox ........

= The best driving simulator............that is the WRONG FORMULA!!!

Sort of makes sense and I can see what you're getting at :)

Hajaz
dude, Sony is a company too, and every company wants to make money and dominate the market. Just look at their market share!
Imo youre attitude is similar to the attitudes of Nintendo and Sega fans when Sony entered the market.
Alot of people are blaming Sony for making gaming more casual. Many of the older gamers still say they had more fun in the 8 bit -16 bit era when games were less casual, had more depth and took alot longer to complete. (finishing zelda 1 took me over a year)
So is Sony really to blame? Prolly not, if they hadnt done it someone else would have. But just like Sony stepped in then, MS is stepping in now.

Just try to keep an open mind and look at the consoles and games objectively... dont keep staring at the name of the company or the brand.

The ironic thing is that Sony probably introduced the focus-group oriented cookie cutter game-making philosophy that he blames Microsoft for. Think of all the mediocre cash-in games on Playstation, then think of the truly great games. Were the real good ones developed by Sony studios? I don't think so. Independant publishers and developers were the ones innovating. Companies like Konami, Square, and all the other obscure (probably now-defunct) game developers. On the other hand, Nintendo and Microsoft first party titles (not to mention Sega's underrated gems) are generally of much higher caliber than Sony's. *cough* Jak 2* *cough*

If you're gonna bandy about the ol MICRO$oFT IS TEH EEEVIL!, then at least back it up. Resume topic.

Back