Boundary Layer's Drift Videos - New Vid Added Feb 2nd, 2006

MasterDriver
I thought i already hinted at this... Let me make it clear.. Their is no one In the WORLD. Please correct me with a fabulous video if you can.... That can mimic what someone does with a controller... I'm not trying to be an a$$ i'm merely saying something that needs to be brought out from under the stairs and given the light it rightfully deserves .....

P.S: Mr. SPanktanker err vice versa.. I'm not bashing you personnally.. I'm bashing the controller.. :)

someone forget to take a few pills this morning?

being that this is my thread, i think i'd like to add something, even though Stanley and DTC covered most of my points already:

firstly, DisasterDri.... err, i mean, MasterDriver - it's spelled TankSpanker. Ya, it is a strange name... but at least have the class to get that right if you plan to come into my vid thread and stir things up. No need to intentionally spell it incorrectly. If you can't manage it, you shouldnt have to look to far to copy and paste it.

You should realize that not everyone is out to get as close to a real-life experience as possible from the GT series. A fair chunk of us just want to push the limits of the physics envelope as far as possible with any controller we can get our hands on (i fall into this category), and gain an understanding and appreciation for them. This is what I like to show in my videos. If that has offended you in some way... well, I really dont feel badly about it.
For even more people, this is probably just a video game suitable for killing an afternoon and nothing beyond that.

And yes, at the time of my vid releases I was a DS2 drifter. I still am primarily, as are many others here. Unlike some of them though, I also own a DFP and I'm gradually trying to move over to that device. That process is taking longer than I anticipated it might due to a lack of practice time over the summer months. ...also, I've drifted with the DS2 for 3 or 4 years now, so I'm a little set in my ways.

At the time of my last vid release (Centrifuge 3, on May 3rd), I hadnt had the DFP setup for much more than 3 weeks, if it was even that long. Although, that fact is beside the point of your argument - its just a bit of a history lesson.

But, I'll state clean and clear that I can match most of my DS2 drifts with my DFP, it just takes a little extra work right now due to inconsitency issues. Occasionally I'll surpass them, but that often comes about more by luck than good judgement, hehe. I've had the DFP for maybe 5 months now, and even at this stage I'm still far more consistent with the DS2. The DFP is a far superior piece of equipment compared with the DS2 - it's my belief that greater drifts are possible on it than on the DS2 due to its much more precise range of control.

I do fully agree that for me, any DFP drift is more rewarding and challenging than one on the DS2. No argument. But at the same time I feel that a person's accomplisments should be acknowledged regardless of the controller type they are using. People do still put time and effort into becoming a decent drifter with the DS2 - i'll echo the fact that for many people it is the only controller option they have.

While I'm touching on that subject - BreakerOhio just upped an xlink vid of my drifting with the DFP. It must be noted that the cars are arcade stock (something hugely unfamiliar to me) and there was minor lag apparent.

Now then, if this wasnt meant to be a personal bash on me then don't bring it into my thread. Although I'll take it as a hidden compliment that it was one of my vids that sent you over the top.
scratch the following comment, I realize that you did do exactly this:
me
if it's directed at a large population of people, put it in a more general thread. There's many DFP vs DS2 threads already in existence in the gt4 drift forum, all you need to do is hit the search button.

Lastly, although you may fully disagree with whats to follow, I know I'm not alone in thinking you need an attitude adjustment.
There's nothing wrong with holding an opinion and being an independent thinker. Personally, I wish more people were like that. But your opinions would be better recieved if they were delivered in a less matter-of-fact, confrontational tone. I'm not here to tell you how to act, but you might want to at least think it over.

- - - - - - - - - - -

edit: i guess while i'm in here I'll reveal a few plans.

Centrifuge 4 was always intended to be an all DFp vid when it is eventually released. That's been the idea since I finished Centrifuge 3. I have songs picked out, and a few cars... but the release date is still miles away. Fiddling around on Xlink, and other projects at IDM are currently taking priority - and then there's that whole university thing to attend to... :sly:

i'd prefer that this conversation were not continued in my vid thread. A far more appropriate thread (here) has been bumped up in the main gt4 forum by MasterDrifter. I've copied my relevant comments to that thread (or rather, I will be doing so in about 5 seconds).

TankSpanker
i'd prefer that this conversation were not continued in my vid thread. A far more appropriate thread (here) has been bumped up in the main gt4 forum by MasterDrifter. I've copied my relevant comments to that thread (or rather, I will be doing so in about 5 seconds).

the link in my thread now works btw

Some very nice drifts TS 👍, ive been trying to do a few of those links :D. Pulled a few off, but not quite as smooth as you did.

Are you a full time drifter in GT4? or do you race and grip and do other stuff to?

I really should drift more in GT4, but im always doing OLR. Maybe if and when i get a capture card it may urge me on to drift more :D. Still have to practise drifting with the DFP :indiff:

Looking forward to your DFP vid 👍

Small_Fryz
Some very nice drifts TS 👍, ive been trying to do a few of those links :D. Pulled a few off, but not quite as smooth as you did.

Are you a full time drifter in GT4? or do you race and grip and do other stuff to?

I really should drift more in GT4, but im always doing OLR. Maybe if and when i get a capture card it may urge me on to drift more :D. Still have to practise drifting with the DFP :indiff:

Looking forward to your DFP vid 👍

right now, pretty much full time drifter.
I havent been past 30% into the game - not that I dont want to, but I've had a lot of bad luck in that regard. Here's a condensed version of my sob story:

Had 1 game save go corrupt in May - the one where i'd actually made some real progress into the game.
So i restarted, was working on the missions and license tests... got up to 63 golds. Then i lost that save when i put it on my computer with the maxdrive. One fine morning about a month ago Windows decided to lose 3 .dll files critical to its boot sequence. After fighting with it for about 6 hours, all i could do was to reformat.

I'm actually on my 4th restart now.

may i introduce you to Z.'s signiture, he posts in the OLR/WRS section, lovely NTSC uber save :D. Ive got a PAL ubersave on my memory card now :P, cant be bothered to race the AI when i can use that time to do OLR and drift :P.

ok, I'm going slightly off-topic, but it's my thread, so I don't care.

As of about 10 mins ago the guy you knew as TankSpanker ceased to exist and has been redubbed as Boundary Layer. ...actually, thats a lie - it took place about 2 weeks ago at IDM, but paypal was slow in converting my Canadian $$$ into USD so it just took this long to get my premium back at GTP.

I found the name change important and necessary for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the name TankSpanker didnt really have a lot to do with who I am - just a nick I picked up in the workplace several years ago for riding a water heater down a flight of stairs. Again... its not largely representative of who I am, I only got it for a one time circus stunt I did.

Secondly, I know a lot of people didnt understand what TankSpanker was supposed to mean (not that you should have guessed it was b/c I saddled a water heater). I know most people interpretted it as some sort of lurid guttermind statement I was trying to make. Not the case at all, but I'd rather avoid that whole misunderstanding from the get go.

Thirdly, Boundary Layer sounds cool.

and lastly, the new name ties into that Mechanical Engineering degree i'm trying to get. It's a term from fluid dynamics/mechanics.

So ya, here I am.
TankSpanker out 👎
Boundary Layer in 👍

Boundary Layer
Thirdly, Boundary Layer sounds cool.

and lastly, the new name ties into that Mechanical Engineering degree i'm trying to get. It's a term from fluid dynamics/mechanics.

So ya, here I am.
TankSpanker out 👎
Boundary Layer in 👍

Yep, it does sound cool. Glad to see the transaction finally went through!

Welcome BL! :)

just dont change your avatar, or i will be thoroughy confused. lol i fear change. just kiddin. the name sounds cool though. kind of mystical, yet powerfull. like one who is at the limits of what is humanly possible, is at the boundary layer. well, you my friend, you ARE the boundary layer. i dunno, im tired and rambling. :drool: lol cool name though.

Ok, new vid added.

Drift Settings Journal: Volume 3 Highlights - NOTE: requires xvid codec
Length - 4:41
Size - 33mb, 640x480 @29.97fps
Car - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR

I quickly created this vid to show some settings for DSJ3. It's probably another one of those vids that I'll look back on and just say "man, what were you thinking...", but right now I like it. Forgive the couple of wheel offs, etc, - I don't rate myself as an accomplished AWD drifter so getting this car to pull the links that it did was an accomplishment for myself.
Because I wanted to showoff the capabilities of the settings, the track choice is quite typical (TM, AH, & DF). I wanted to pick locations that people knew quite well.

Apart from creating the vid to show off settings, I also had some new capture settings I wanted to try. I'm pretty pleased with the quality and compression I managed with xvid, but I think I have some wmv settings that are just as good and considerably quicker to render.

Very little attention was given to editting and syncing with music, and all that kind of stuff related to presentation. The video is short and to the point.

Watching now...

Gotta love the music...Brings back memories of driving around backroads. :sly:

Good stuff bud. I can see you're getting some pretty good angle. Though your lines aren't quite where you'd like them to be I'm sure.

I really liked the last corner of Deep Forest though. That was some serious angle! though the exit wasn't perfect. :) The left sweeper on Apricot Hill was also very well executed(even the exit ;) )

Where you using DFP or DS2? Either way is was pretty smooth.

still the DS2. It'll sound odd saying it, but I have a better feel for the car on the DS2. I've got a better impression of what settings to change and how the car will respond to those changes when I use that controller. If I use the DFP when I'm constructing settings I have to try to guage if settings will cure what I'm feeling with the car, or if my performance is entirely a reflection of my lack of skill on the wheel.

And ya... my lines are horrible. This is the first AWD I've drifted seriously since the Evo in Centrifuge 2. Entry points are in AWD and FRs different, and I have a hard time picking them in AWD.
I know the car will do longer links and greater angle more consistently if I could only get that right.

thanks for the comments.

I don't get anywhere near as much time as I'd like to either. Just a few hours per week. I'd like to make videos a lot more frequently, haven't really put much time into one since June.

A lot of my effort is going into drifting with the DFP, once I'm more comfortable with that I'd like to start putting out short vids again.

1 brand new vid that I through together quickly for DSJ9. I also updated the links and format of my first post and added 2 or 3 older vids to the list.

February 2, 2006: Drift Settings Journal: Volume 9 Highlights
Link: http://www.bgj.ca/GT4/BLvids/BL-DSJ9.wmv [right click, save as]
Run Time: 3min 16sec
Info: 19.2mb, 640x480 @29.97fps
Car: '97 Toyota Supra RZ [settings here]
Music: Motley Crue - Live Wire

Made a quick highlight video. Well, 'highlight' is a term I would use loosely here. Most of it is just me messing around and trying out George Paris as a drift course for the first time. There's quite a few mistakes captured here, but I'm not to concerned (thats just how I drift on the DFP :sly: ). I really just needed something to satisfy this urge I had to make a vid.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Certainly I still have a lot of problems to work out in my technique, but I think I'm almost to the point where I'm comfortable enough in my abilities on the DFP to tr putting together Centrifuge 4.

Good stuff BL. Like you said earlier, that Paris drifting wasn't bad at all. I like the little spin at the end too...:sly:

:bowdown: BoundaryLayer and TankSpanker

I can't believe [still] how good you guys can drift!! 👍👍👍

and with a DS2!! I'm really gonna get into drifting now, thanks for the link too :)

gtjezard
:bowdown: BoundaryLayer and TankSpanker

I can't believe [still] how good you guys can drift!! 👍👍👍

and with a DS2!! I'm really gonna get into drifting now, thanks for the link too :)

hehehe
We're the same person. I changed my username in September. But thanks none the less.

I'm using the DFP exclusively now, but in the earlier vids [ie, everything up to and including the November 5, 2005: Drift Settings Journal: Volume 3 Highlights] I'm using the DS2.

TankSpanker says thanks too :sly:

haha lol:lol: BTW BL I can watch vids again, I had to install a driver for my video card I didn't have installed yet. Plus some weeks ago I heard my datalimit is gone, so I guess that means I'll be downloading alot of vids in the future:D

the only one i waited like 2 hrs to watch was the gauntlet replay. i gotta give ya mad props on skill and execution. i was happy to see someone else take the alternate route that doubles back onto the track. good work. im really wishin i had the equipment to put some videos up. guess ill just have to keep on keepin on. and save a bunch o replays until i do get something goin.

oh i see are both of them exactly the same? cause i think the 240sx is the american version and the 180sx is the japanese version so im j\w if they are the same

Back