3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, is there room for another in the na race tonight?

If so, how bad am I going to be with no practice? Is the setup way different?

Are all the regs the same as WRS?

Thanks, Baron

You are welcome to join. If you can show up a little early we can turn over our setup. Relative to offline you want max ride height... All the way up +15/+15 otherwise the corkscrew is deadly.

I pretty much stuck to the offline setup otherwise, but some people have made tweaks. Max posted a setup in the thread a few pages back:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6227804#post6227804

Regs are exactly the same as offline as far as tires, etc.

Edited in final adjustments to my setup , that was good for a 1'25.9xx in the practice before EU race.

I'd like to join the NA race , as long as I'm not taking anybody else's place in the lobby.

MadMax

NA Race Lobby is open.

Edit: Masi, you are still in the lobby, and you've defaulted to the host.
We will most likely need you to exit the lobby to prevent any connection issues.

Last edited:
But eh, had numerous off after my second stop then the spin at corkscrew trying to avoid Ealir.

Sorry about that (and similar earlier, I suspect). IIRC, I was on cold tires (my setup took two laps to warm them), and probably a touch nervous around you.

Made a few too many mistakes today (almost no online practice with significant wear or lightened fuel load - just enough to realize Pekka's setup was Not For Me :dunce:, but I was reasonably pleased with how my own kludge held up. PEBCAC.)

Had fun though - couldn't have asked for a much better tussle with Lucas, even if I did fold like a cheap card table under pressure. I'm not sure I could see Tim?

Sorry to take so long poking my head up - I got a phone call on the way in to work that I was on my way into a storm of, um, brownian motion again. Kind of nuked my memory of the race a bit, I'll have to review and throw a couple more apologies around, I'm sure.

...I'm not sure I could see Tim?...

Very strange as I could see you the entire time. In fact we were in close quarters for several laps with Lucas as well and there was never a point where you ran into me as if I were invisible. But that could just be coincidence I guess. I've heard of one way invisibility once before, but I've got NAT 1 which should make that very unlikely. Maybe since my ps3 froze at the start of quali and I had to come back and was last to enter the room there could have been some issues.

OK... off to the race lounge. I'm not taking any prisoners tonight. :sly:

Could be just my memory messing with me - this morning really wiped me out mentally (get up 4:45am, get ready, practice, quali, race, run for bus, phone "When were you getting in again?...." 🤬). I'll check tonight.

Hey Hydro, im about 25 miles away from my PS3 - forgot to turn it off when i left the house. Maybe kick me through a vote?

I'll be joining the lounge in couple of minutes

I'll do the livestream again, starting @ the hour (3:00 AM GMT) of the quali stint.

Edit:
I put in 'hitch.tv' instead of 'twitch.tv'. :dunce:

Last edited:
Here are the results for the NA race:

3D3_20111123_Event11_Results_NA.png

It's interesting that the winner's time in both events were so close

EU: GTP_MadMax86...59:29.777
NA: GTP_WRP001.....59:30.324

So over an hour of racing we're talking about a difference of 0.55 seconds.

Of course in the NA race I was having to push all 40 laps as Dragon and CSL were closing quickly and Max had a safe lead and was coasting home... but it looks good anyway. :sly:

Hey Hydro, im about 25 miles away from my PS3 - forgot to turn it off when i left the house. Maybe kick me through a vote?

It worked out OK, we just moved to a different lobby.
We can't kick from a private room.

Great Win Tim 👍

And congrats to Dragon, and Dominic as well - 40 laps of Laguna and 1-3 are less than 1.4 seconds apart :bowdown:

It's interesting that the winner's time in both events were so close

EU: GTP_MadMax86...59:29.777
NA: GTP_WRP001.....59:30.324

So over an hour of racing we're talking about a difference of 0.55 seconds.

Wow. That's pretty incredible guys. Quite an interesting week as numbers go.

Only a credited a 2.5 stopper for me? That's a cheap shot - 3 times in, 3 times out :lol:

Have a great Holiday Guys :cheers:

Last edited:
Congrats Pekka and Tim, amazing consistency. 👍

I thought the NA race would go well for me, given I also ran the EU, but our first trip through the cork set the stage for me: spun due to braking too late behind Dragon, so I tried to miss him instead of taking him out. On the 2nd-to-last-turn, over to the left, there's a huge field which I visited...twice.

But a couple positives for me from the NA: 2nd best best-lap: 1'26.519 (may have been due to draft, not sure...I never got in the 1'26's in practice). Also, I did a one-stopper in the NA, and didn't pit until lap 23! :eek:

Why did CSL start in the back? And Pekka? Did they quali bad on purpose or have a bad quali and get disrupted like Dragon or did the system glitch them like it's done to me before?

I certainly got a break at the start with them in the rear. Haven't checked what my lead was after 5 laps on Dom, but he must have made up a *lot* of ground to end up so close by the end.

I decided on a one stop after getting pole and all that clean air. After 18 laps dragon was closing and I started to approach the rear of the field. Instead of losing time in traffic I decided to short pit right there and try to make the second stint 22 laps. It worked out as i extended my lead from 2 to 7 secs thru the pit cycle and at one point extended it to 10+. But then my tires fell off and the gap was dropping steadily. I caught up to Blair and he did nothing wrong but I got distracted and made a bobble and gave up 2-3 seconds in one lap.

My margin gone I stopped saving tires and just decided to go for it. I still could not stop the gap from shrinking, but it was just enough. One more lap or one mistake on the final 2 laps and I would have finished 3rd.

I'm curious to compare my tires to dragon and csl's on the final lap. I think they pitted later, but they were pushing and I was saving tires for much of the stint.

Very satisfying win given the size and quality of the field. I caught a break in quali and basically got to lead wire to wire which helped, but still took an error free race under pressure to pull it off.

I'm a much better driver when I have space. I need to work on my driving technique in close quarters where I tend to brake too early and mess up apexes too often.

Hey guys, apologies again for leaving the PS3 on.

Anyway, just wanted to bump my previous message: any plans about having a proper championship with a points system and such? Maybe 1 season per month (4 weeks) - with or without breaks? ...something along that line.

Looking forward next week. Is the track final?

I think the quali stint got messed up for some reason.

In the quali I got a time to start on the 5th place I think. When the grid was formed as the race was about to start, the 9th spot was given to me.

Actually, I don't really care much about the quali as it eventually all comes down to doing an errorless race in my case.;) Two spins and some struggling with the rear axle made my finishing spot quite satisfying after all. Being more consistent compared to the EU race earlier - where I got like ~8 spins :ouch: - did pay off.

Getting a podium this week was definitely out of the question. :lol:

Nonetheless, it was good racing you all again as it is every week. :)👍

Getting to next week on Cape Ring.
Any chance of doing some (2 or 3) shorter races?

Great race again last night guys.👍

I'm not sure how I qualified 2nd, seems the scoring must have been in error somehow.

I think I set the record for the most off track excursions in 3D3 racing history.:dopey: I love the track, but that twitchy evil little car was too much for me.:sly:

Call me crazy but it seems to me there's a difference in grip from one person's lobby to the next. In my privite lobby earlier in the day I did a full race run to test tire wear, and did a best lap of 1'26.3xx and many laps in the 1'27.xxx range. Of course I was by myself without the pressure of the actual race. Anyway it doesn't matter as it was the same for everyone, but I could only manage a best 1'28.5xx and was sliding all over the place. I did check the setup before the race to see if anything mysteriously changed, so I can't blame it on that. Tire wear and fuel usage was on also.

I had fun chasing Kevin and Lucas for awhile, until I crashed, and then crashed again, and again and again.:scared:

Till next time.

Blair

I think I set the record for the most off track excursions in 3D3 racing history.:dopey:

You'll have to compete with me on that. :lol:

I've seen more off track areas than on tracks' at 'Weds Forest'. The EU race yesterday was kind of a flash back to that one aswell. :D

You'll have to compete with me on that. :lol:

I've seen more off track areas than on tracks' at 'Weds Forest'. The EU race yesterday was kind of a flash back to that one aswell. :D

Well I feel a little better knowing I wasn't the only one having trouble with that little pocket rocket. It's a fun car to drive, but bites you hard if you push it too much.

The maintenance grew it still repairing the tire barrier on the uphill straight as we speak.:lol: I must have hit it hard 3-4 times.

Almost forgot, great race win Tim. If your not careful, people will start calling you E.T.

Last edited:
I'll do the livestream again, starting @ the hour (3:00 AM GMT) of the quali stint.

I was unable to participate, but I watched the latter part of the EU race. The streaming worked great! - And so I was able to study some interesting lines... not exactly along the tarmac :dopey: Actually those situations did not look too dangerous until the rear suddenly snapped out, I wonder if something in your tune made the car unstable.

Next time you might perhaps set the track map to show the whole track? It would make it easier to also follow the race overall.

What equipment do you use for capture? Perhaps you have already described it in a post somewhere?

OK... off to the race lounge. I'm not taking any prisoners tonight. :sly:

In hindsight what could go wrong with that attitude? Congratulations on the win! 👍👍👍

What equipment do you use for capture? Perhaps you have already described it in a post somewhere?

Yes, the same question was already asked in the WRS weekly race videos thread. ;)

In addition to that post, for the livestream I just made an account on twitch.tv and downloaded the free software 'Xsplit' to broadcast the captured images.

As for tune, I think I simply kept a too agressive approach as the tyres went. :ouch:

Forgot to say this. I found the map too destracting for time trials. When you have completed a clean lap, you can see 2 arrows. One is for the ghost and one is the car. I always looked at the map to see if I was ahead or not or by what margain. But it became too destracting. That's why I turned it off about a week ago (I think I still had it on in the KazSpa race). So I wanted to go to the 3D3 lobby early (about 45 min before the qualification) to test my tune and see if I haven't forgotten something. No luck with the network and I got into the room when the qualification was about to start.
I'll keep in mind to put the map on when in an online race from now on. And I'll try to sort out my connection issues before the next race at cape ring.
Which means I'm in for the EU race.;)

Gutted I missed last week and had a really poor race at spa so hopefully 3rd time lucky.
:banghead:

Lost all internet last night for a bit 👎. very frustrating.
Glad to see you all had a great race, this series is really well run well done

Unlucky man, hopefully you get things sorted.
4th time lucky.:P

Hey guys, apologies again for leaving the PS3 on.

Anyway, just wanted to bump my previous message: any plans about having a proper championship with a points system and such? Maybe 1 season per month (4 weeks) - with or without breaks? ...something along that line.

Looking forward next week. Is the track final?

No problem 👍
We have backup plans for practically anything ;)

Next week's track / event are final, and we will be posting the event, and details shortly (we always announce the next race on Thursdays).

We aren't looking to add any sort of points, or championship at this point, as it's really a casual / competitive series.
That's not to say we aren't thinking about it, it's just not a priority for now.
Who knows what 2012 will bring?

Sorry to hear that, we had wondered what happened to you.
Great to see you are enjoying the series, and we'll get back to racing next week 👍

NA race my full race time was improved about 20+ seconds, no spin outs this time. spent the first few laps trying to get by cats_pajamas. Once I did I had about a 4 second gap to WRP and just tried to maintain it and get what I could here and there as we had a decent gap on the rest of the field. Got the gap down to 2 seconds when WRP pitted on lap 18 I believe. Came into the pits on lap 20 and for some reason it seemed like it was taking forever to get into the pits compared to the EU race, dunno what happened there as I took it the same way going in, when I came out I was a good 10+ seconds back, think it was up to 14 seconds at one point. Turn on the boost at that point to see how much i could get back as I didn't think I had anything for Tim at that point. Lap 30 I started to notice CSL reeling me in while I was gaining on Tim and for the last 10 laps I did everything I could to keep fast consistent clean laps to try and catch 1st and stay ahead of 3rd. I think another lap everything might have been different, but then again it could of been harder to pass as I felt like my car was way different with a lil draft and was more prone to overdriving the turns and making mistakes.

Great racing with you all again and I'll be sure to get my GTP tag on my name and get you all added.

New3D3logoFullsize-2.png

Presents...

Cape Fear Online

CapeRing_71.jpg

An Online Race based on a GTP_WRS Offline Event
Disclaimer: This is *NOT* an official GTPlanet or WRS sanctioned event and members are not obligated to take part.

November 30, 2011

European Time Slot
3:00 PM Eastern / 12:00 PM Pacific
img.php

North American Time Slot
10:00 PM Eastern / 7:00 PM Pacific
img.php

Eligibility for this 3D3 event will include GTP_Registered members plus referred drivers. A registry member can make a referral for this event by simply including other drivers PSN IDs with their own registration request in this thread. To guarantee eligibility for all 3D3 events run the GTP_Registry qualifier and join the registry now!

Registration
  1. Reply to this thread and include in the text of the message your GTP_ PSN ID and the title of this event "British Invasion Online". To sign up (refer) a driver not on the GTP_Registry, a registered driver should include the PSN ID of the non registered driver(s) in their post.
  2. Send a PSN friend request to GTP_3D3Racing with subject line "3D3 Racing" if you haven't already done so. Any referred driver(s) will also need to submit a friend request.
There is a 16 car/driver limit for this event and slots are awarded on the grid using a first come first serve basis. Reference the registered drivers list below for availability. This is a stand alone race and points are not tallied for a series. Future races hosted by 3D3 racing may have different driver limits and will require re-registration using the same first come first serve basis and participation in future events is optional.

If for some reason, after you register for the event, you are unable to attend the race please send a PM to one of the 3D3 racing stewards or post in the thread so we can update the registration list and make the spot available to another driver. This particular GTP_WRS event was held in Arcade Mode therefore the car used for the online race is from the "Recommended Garage" section. You cannot use and do not need this car in your personal garage. Tuning will not be a factor in this event except for "In Event Tuning" for ABS, Brake Balance, etc.

Lounge Settings

• Race Quality: High
  • Voice Chat Quality: Low

Course & Car Settings

• Track: Cape Ring
  • Car: Nissan Calsonic Impul GT-R '08 (from the recommended garage)
  • Tires: Racing Soft (R3's)
  • In Event Tuning Settings: Optional

Event Settings

• Game Mode: Normal Race
  • Laps: 20
  • Start Type: Rolling Start with Formation Lap
  • Grid Order: Fastest First (based on classic F1 style single hot lap qualifying)
  • Boost: No
  • Penalty: None
  • Automatic Race Start Cycle: Disabled
  • Race Finish Delay: Set to the Max 180 Seconds
  • Grip Reduction: Low
  • Mechanical Damage: Light
  • Tire Wear / Fuel Consumption: On
  • Pit Stops: Allowed and as often as you need to but not required. When exiting the pit lane, remember to stay within pit lane exit boundaries and yield to approaching drivers. If you choose to go without a pitstop (or with fewer) be prepared for the significant speed difference of approaching drivers (see passing/blocking below).

Regulation Settings

• Car Restriction: Select From Garage, Recommended Garage, Calsonic Impul GT-R '08
  • Performance Points: NA
  • Power: NA
  • Weight: NA
  • Tire Restrictions: Racing Soft (R3's)
  • Skid Recovery Force Aid: Off
  • TCS | Driving Line | ASM |: Optional

Standard Clean OLR Rules Apply:

• Unless otherwise specified, all rules from the original WRS event apply.
  • All Hard Surfaces are considered Track Surface. This includes tarmac, red and white rumbles, and concrete. You are expected to drive clean at all times as if you are racing in the WRS. All participants are required to follow the GTPlanet Online Racing Rules & Guidelines.
  • 3D3 Race Stewards (who are taking part in race, but will review the replay) reserve the right to boot or invalidate the result of any driver from the Race Room for driving offensively. If you ignore any warnings from the stewards and are booted from the race room, you will not be allowed to participate in future 3D3 events.
  • 2 wheels on (or vertically in line with) the track at all times
  • Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track
  • Runoff areas are not part of the track
  • Limit your contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
  • No hybrids
  • No cheating of any kind
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
  • Passing and Blocking: Aggressive blocking is not permitted, but the driver in front has the right to choose his/her line and braking point and drivers behind should respect that line. Be especially careful when you are on older tires than the competition as the speed difference may be significant. These events are "for fun" so just play nice and take a conservative rather than an aggressive approach when possible.

Good Luck,

3D3Signature.png

DriverRegistration.jpg

Note that these group assignments are preliminary and anyone that registers between now and the race start will get inserted into their proper spot on the grid so anyone with a submitted time will take over that special D2 spot in the EU race.

EU Race Slot (3:00 PM Eastern / 12:00 PM Pacific)

B1
ca.gif
GTP_Hydro ........
badge_division_2.png
... Marc ....... NA (2.938)
B2
us.gif
GTP_WRP001 .......
badge_division_2.png
... Tim ........ NA (2.784)
C1
be.gif
GTP_Speedy6543 ...
badge_division_2.png
... Christophe . NA (2.632)
C2
uk.gif
GTP_Biffy ........
badge_division_2.png
... Jordan ..... NA (2.073)
D1
fi.gif
GTP_MadMax86 .....
badge_division_1.png
... Pekka ...... NA (1.969)
D2
us.gif
GTP_CSL ..........
badge_division_1.png
... Dominic .... NA (1.899)

NA Race Slot (10:00 PM Eastern / 7:00 PM Pacific)

A1
ca.gif
GTP_Hydro ........
badge_division_2.png
... Marc ....... NA (2.938)
A2
ca.gif
GTP_gooners_17 ...
badge_division_2.png
... Mohit ...... NA (2.928)
A3
us.gif
GTP_WRP001 .......
badge_division_2.png
... Tim ........ NA (2.784)
B1
be.gif
GTP_Speedy6543 ...
badge_division_2.png
... Christophe . NA (2.632)
B2
us.gif
GTP_dsgerbc ......
badge_division_2.png
... Dan ........ NA (2.514)
B3
us.gif
GTP_CSL ..........
badge_division_1.png
... Dominic .... NA (1.899)
C1
us.gif
GTP_RaceRyder ....
badge_division_4.png
... Dale ....... 2'25.983
C2
ca.gif
GTP_Allibubba99 ..
badge_division_4.png
... Al ......... 2'24.733
C3
us.gif
GTP_LeftyWright ..
badge_division_3.png
... Lefty ...... 2'23.497
D1
us.gif
GTP_Gravitron ....
badge_division_3.png
... Lucas ...... 2'22.344
D2
us.gif
GTP_EDK ..........
badge_division_2.png
... Kevin ...... 2'21.760
D3
us.gif
GTPcats_pajamas ..
badge_division_2.png
... Baron ...... 2'20.956

RaceResults.jpg

EU
CapeFearQualifying_EU.png

EUresults2.png
NA
CapeFearQualifying_NA.png
NAResults3.png
RaceHighlights.jpg

Last edited:
Count me in for EU.

Nice OP update by the way. 👍

OK... You are in. 👍 We are going to be hosting all practices and races in our community lounge from now on (GTP_3D3Racing). So you'll need to be on the friend list of that PSN account. I'll send you a FR shortly, but if I forget some reason you can also send the request to GTP_3D3Racing and I'll accept when I log into PSN with that account.

The OP and first couple posts are still a work in progress... Look for more improvements shortly. Marc is the "graphic artist" of the group and will be adding a little eye candy (@Marc... nudge nudge).

↓↓↓Speedy. Yes you are in for both. I added you even before I saw your post. You and your streaming technology are always invited. :lol:

Last edited:
Haha, great! :lol: LMAO
Looking at the bottom left of this weeks event picture...

All stunts performed by professional 3D3 drivers on a closed course that doesn't exist.
3D3 Racing will not be held responsible for anything that goes horribly wrong...ever.
Do not try this at home. Do not pass Gravitron. No Guarantee of Return.

Count me in for both events. ;)👍

Edit:
Only now I'm reading you 'nudging' Marc. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back