3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
GTP_3D3Racing??
Is that one of them non-3D3 regulars who joined one of the open lobbies?

w-g-e
GTP_3D3Racing??
Is that one of them non-3D3 regulars who joined one of the open lobbies?

No, I set that up and sent friend requests to our registry.* It's a new dedicated 3d3 private lounge. Marc will explain later in detail. For the races today we will use Marc's lounge.

*EDK is so popular his friends list was maxed so I couldn't add him, but everyone else listed in our OP should have gotten a request on PSN.

Agh damn I would have loved to race my Garaiya around laguna seca but my beloved Arsenal are playing tonight so I wont be able to take part....I'll be there next week..👍
As soon as the WRS registry opens I'll do what it is I need to do...

No, I set that up and sent friend requests to our registry.* It's a new dedicated 3d3 private lounge. Marc will explain later in detail. For the races today we will use Marc's lounge.

*EDK is so popular his friends list was maxed so I couldn't add him, but everyone else listed in our OP should have gotten a request on PSN.
Ok, thanks.👍

No offense taken. The OPs in your threads are epic so your advice is welcome. We will do a little redesign to clean it up. I wish we had reserved a couple additional posts at the top of the thread. :dunce:

Oh! Make sure that both myself and Marc (GTP_Hydro) are on your PSN friends list by race time as these events are run in our private lounge. Marc's lounge first and mine as a backup/alternate. Join us for pre race practice too in one of our lounges. We typically get started an hour before race time and will post on this thread when the lounge is ready.

👍

How about asking the admins to delete the first few replies? :)

Will do! Although I'm not 100% sure today as the other half planned an outing this afternoon. Won't know exactly when until she wakes up. I probably shouldn't wake her up. :D

👍
How about asking the admins to delete the first few replies? :)

Good idea... we could hijack MilleRSVR's post (he's the first one to reply) with his permission of course. Hydro owns the next one after that as well which would give us some room to work. I'll make sure that's cool with the authorities.

** Race Lobby Update **

For today's races, we will be using our regular Racing Lobby.
Both events will be in GTP_Hydro's lounge.
All new drivers have been added to PSN FR lists except Killa_Kandy (he's got too many friends :) - just add GTP_Hydro, and you are good to go, if you are indeed racing this week 👍)

This will be the last time we use our private Lobbies (GTP_Hydro, GTP_WRP001) for 3D3 events, unless otherwise noted, and posted in the thread.

In order to simplify the room, and hosting for the future, we have created the GTP_3D3Racing PSN ID.
If you haven't already received a friend request from GTP_3D3Racing, just add the ID to your friends list.

After tonight's races, all 3D3 weekly races, and practice sessions will be held in this Lounge.

I'll post all of the details regarding the new Lounge, and how it will be used following the EU Race today.

Edit: EU race lobby is open now 👍

Last edited:
Having network issues.:(

Disconnected, ah well.. I wasn't happy with my mistake anyway..
I'm sorry Masi, hope your race wasn't too affected by it.

Last edited:
I watched the stream, congratulations Pekka. Great driving with the pad mate, you deserved it.👍

Very good stream Kristof.👍

Haha, :lol:
The stream wasn't all that great to watch, was it?
Lonely drive at 2nd in the beginning and then a spin where I had to wait till last.
Then it was lonely at the back with another couple of spins :P

Not the best race for me.

Had to take a phone call at around lap 32 i think - had to quit. Was gunning for 4th when one of the guys goes off line at the corkscrew, tried to avoid - spun myself out of contention and back to 7th. Awful setup on mine - little practice if any before the race :D

Anyway, i may come back from time to time since this is midweek. Perfect for my schedule.

Thanks for hosting 👍

Great racin' & bumpin' w/ Ren, Tim, & Dragon...didn't really see much of anyone else.
Sorry I wasn't talking, I had some REALLY LOUD OBNOXIOUS teenagers in the background, who just got louder when I gave them the Furrowed Dad Stare. :ouch:

The minute I got in front of Dragon, somewhere in the first 10 laps, I got all nervous in the cork and spun back to 7th or 8th, oops.

Man this track is hard to pass on! Even when someone in front makes a mistake!

EDIT: OK, phone call, Masi? Phew. I don't feel so bad about that "traffic incident" that you, Tim, and I had, somewhere in the 20's... Good to meet/race you! 👍

EDIT2: Amazing hosting/stewarding, as always, Tim & Marc! :cheers: See you again tonight!

Last edited:
Haha, :lol:
The stream wasn't all that great to watch, was it?
Lonely drive at 2nd in the beginning and then a spin where I had to wait till last.
Then it was lonely at the back with another couple of spins :P
I'm talking about the quality though.:P

Nah, you were just unlucky. I saw you sometimes (nearly) spun at the corkscrew. Always use 3rd gear at the exit of the corkscrew.

I didn't have a great finish, but had a great time and that's what it's all about. It's always hard to pass on this track. I had a good battle and a full side by side sector with Masi. And good battles with Lucas and Ealirendur at the end. I think I could have gotten both of you if I hadn't spun on lap 35 or 36... I was planning to get more aggressive each lap leading up to 40, but my plan was spoiled by my bad driving.

I think I proved my Lobby sign in quote wrong.
Slow (ish) and very steady seriously came through in the end.
No spins, no off-track :)

I had a great start, and wound up right on Wes' bumper through the Corkscrew, but after a few laps I was left watching Lucas' get farther away...

I had Masi in my mirror for several laps leading up to the first pit, and several more after.
The only thing keeping me in postion was Masi himself.
Almost everytime through "Speedy Alley" (T3, 1st turn) he was struggling to stay on track, but he recovered everytime 👍
Distracting for sure, but very impressive all the same.

Then other than a lap here and there where I saw the 1 stoppers (Dragon, Pekka), I was basically hot lapping after pit 2.

Congrats Pekka, you're up to your usual super-fast ways :cheers:

EDIT: OK, phone call, Masi? Phew. I don't feel so bad about that "traffic indident" that you, Tim, and I had, somewhere in the 20's... Good to meet/race you! 👍

I had to go quickly, i think my PS3 is still on. If the lobby is still open, im probably still there :lol:

It was around lap 25 or so? I had a two tire strategy which didn't pan out too well. Lap 10 then lap 25. My tires was pretty shot when 3-4 of you guys caught me. I was thinking i could hold you guys up so by the time the pitstops cycles through, i'd be ahead :D but nope, you guys just flew by. But eh, had numerous off after my second stop then the spin at corkscrew trying to avoid Ealir.

I think I proved my Lobby sign in quote wrong.
Slow (ish) and very steady seriously came through in the end.

I had a great start, and wound up right on Wes' bumper through the Corkscrew, but after a few laps I was left watching Lucas' get farther away...

I had Masi in my mirror for several laps leading up to the first pit, and several more after.
The only thing keeping me in postion was Masi himself.
Almost everytime through "Speedy Alley" (T3, 1st turn) he was struggling to stay on track, but he recovered everytime 👍
Distracting for sure, but impressive all the same.

Then other than a lap here and there where I saw the 1 stoppers (Dragon, Pekka), I was basically hot lapping after pit 2.

Congrats Pekka, you're up to your usual super-fast ways :cheers:

I was catching you on the last sector every lap, but everytime we get to that straight, you just get smaller and smaller in the horizon. My tranny was pretty tall, didn't touch much of 6th gear until just before the breaking point. You probably had a lower DF setup? I think it was the same for everyone... i had people in my sights, but i couldn't catch them on the straights.

I was catching you on the last sector every lap, but everytime we get to that straight, you just get smaller and smaller in the horizon. My tranny was pretty tall, didn't touch much of 6th gear until just before the breaking point. You probably had a lower DF setup? I think it was the same for everyone... i had people in my sights, but i couldn't catch them on the straights.

I noticed that too.
I was at full DF, but I had made several changes to my gearbox during the practice run before the race.
It certainly helped in a couple of spots, but not so much in others.

You were clearly faster through the second part of T2, and all of T3.
Great racing with you 👍

You would have to use what we call 'the tranny trick'.
EDK
Final drive all the way right, top speed all the way left. Adjust individual ratios to your desired spread, then change final drive only to set top speed.
The gears are closer together by doing that thus resulting in better acceleration. Pekka used a different version of the tranny trick though. My gearing was set so that I was in 6th at about 6000 RPM at the end of the straight.

Or maybe your car wasn't up to power?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm pretty sure everyone was driving with full downforce.

Last edited:
Here are the results for the EU race. Congratz again to MadMax for the triple crown this week.

3D3_20111123_Event11_Results_EU.png

Masi, it was great to have you join us this week. Please come again! If you weren't touching 6th gear then you were at a "big" disadvantage. I think we all used a very custom transmission that got the most out of a very narrow power band. That explains why I could stay anywhere near you on the track.

Speedy, you had the pace, but just too many incidents. You almost got fast lap yourself.

Did I get the pit stop count right for everyone? I think I could have managed a one stop strategy myself. Getting the freeze and starting near the back due to a one lap quali should have been a sign that I needed to switch it up... but I didn't listen to the little voice in my head this time.

Last edited:
I see... didn't have much data before the race. Short notice. Did a quick check at my tranny which i thought was fine - set a fast lap of 26.xxx, took a quick shower, then qualied. Could only manage a 28.xxx - settled 8th (changed the suspension before quali). But yeah, during the race, when someone was ahead of me on the straights, even just a car length ahead, they'll still pull away.

I'll most likely come back next week. I'm always free mid-week around the same time - although i hate Cape Ring with a passion (i believe that's next).

Or maybe your car wasn't up to power?

First time i used the MR-S - although i think i was up to PP regulations? So i think its right.

Last edited:
I'll most likely come back next week. I'm always free mid-week around the same time - although i hate Cape Ring with a passion (i believe that's next).

I'm worried about a race at Cape Ring myself... how do other people feel about a 60 minute race on the track? We will do it for sure unless there is a general feeling it won't make a good race after our testing.

If anyone can stick around a few minutes after the NA race tonight maybe we can dial up that car/track in the lounge run a few laps to see how it "feels" online. It's going to be a "Recommended Garage" week so no tuning except for brake bias.

Good racing guys. 👍

At around lap 10 I realised my tyres were going to last long enought for a 1 stop strategy.
At lap 17 I thought , that maybe the tyres won't last till lap 20 after all.
So I started to do some more conservative laps.

I saw Dragon pit in at lap 20 and realised he was going to get caught in traffic.
In order to get more free air to run away from Dragon I continued a few more laps.
At lap 22 my front right tyre was in sutch a bad shape that I had to pit in.
Coming out of pit I was thrown inbetween the battle for 2nd or 3rd place.
When the battle got to Corkscrew I barely passed Masi_23 on the entry and on the exit I saw his car wobbling , good thing he caught it under control again.
There was most likely some contact made on my behalf and I apologise for that.

After clearing the Corkscrew I started to chase Marc (Hydro) and got denied the pass when he went to for his 2nd stop. :lol:
Didn't see that coming. So I was a bit supprised about for the pass without battle.

From there on it was a matter of concentrating to staying on the track.
And did I stay on track? No , made mistakes here and there. Luckily recovering from the off track mistakes isn't too difficult at Laguna Seca.

Here are the results for the EU race. Congratz again to MadMax for the triple crown this week.

What is that triple crown you say?

MadMax

Coming out of pit I was thrown inbetween the battle for 2nd or 3rd place.

What is that triple crown you say?

MadMax

Thrown in is a good way to describe it. There was maybe a car length between Masi and I and somehow you managed to come out of the pits and slide into that space as if you were parallel parking? I was like... huh? How did he do that?

By the triple crown I mean:

1. Win
  2. Pole Position
  3. Fastest Lap

Good stuff guys! I fancy a re-run; just so we'll be all in even footing :D

Congrats to Max for the win!

EDIT: Any thoughts about making a proper series with standings and such?

Maybe have 5 or 6-week seasons (or longer) with breaks in between?

Last edited:
After clearing the Corkscrew I started to chase Marc (Hydro) and got denied the pass when he went to for his 2nd stop. :lol:
Didn't see that coming. So I was a bit supprised about for the pass without battle.

MadMax

I'm certain that I could have gone another lap on those tires, but that would mean that I would have followed you for a lap, on shredded (to me) tires.
That would have been a problem for me for sure, as I have a bad habit of trying to keep up with anyone if I'm behind them - regardless of pit strategy / position, etc.
I had a quick flash in my brain that told me to smarten up this time, and go pit, or risk blowing the whole race by trying to keep up with you ;)

That's why I told you "Patient Pekka, 3 more turns, and you have me" :lol:

Hey guys, is there room for another in the na race tonight?

If so, how bad am I going to be with no practice? Is the setup way different?

Are all the regs the same as WRS?

Thanks, Baron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back