3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which means I'm in for the EU race.;)

You can definetely pencil me in for this race....EU
looking forward to racing new people....

OK... you are both in.

If anyone wants a subscription to our events we are creating that option. Here are the currently active subscriptions:

EU + NA: GTP_Hydro, GTP_WRP001, GTP_Speedy6543
EU Only: GTP_MadMax86
NA Only: GTP_Gravitron​

Having a subscriptions means we'll add you by default when we post the event and you just have to let us know if you can't make it.

However, if you have a subscription and are a no show you lose the right to subscribe in the future unless you come up with a really good excuse (my dog ate my ps3 won't fly). :grumpy:

Why did CSL start in the back? And Pekka? Did they quali bad on purpose or have a bad quali and get disrupted like Dragon or did the system glitch them like it's done to me before?

I certainly got a break at the start with them in the rear. Haven't checked what my lead was after 5 laps on Dom, but he must have made up a *lot* of ground to end up so close by the end.

I decided on a one stop after getting pole and all that clean air. After 18 laps dragon was closing and I started to approach the rear of the field. Instead of losing time in traffic I decided to short pit right there and try to make the second stint 22 laps. It worked out as i extended my lead from 2 to 7 secs thru the pit cycle and at one point extended it to 10+. But then my tires fell off and the gap was dropping steadily. I caught up to Blair and he did nothing wrong but I got distracted and made a bobble and gave up 2-3 seconds in one lap.

My margin gone I stopped saving tires and just decided to go for it. I still could not stop the gap from shrinking, but it was just enough. One more lap or one mistake on the final 2 laps and I would have finished 3rd.

I'm curious to compare my tires to dragon and csl's on the final lap. I think they pitted later, but they were pushing and I was saving tires for much of the stint.

Very satisfying win given the size and quality of the field. I caught a break in quali and basically got to lead wire to wire which helped, but still took an error free race under pressure to pull it off.

I'm a much better driver when I have space. I need to work on my driving technique in close quarters where I tend to brake too early and mess up apexes too often.
I started off with a lowly 27.0, but decided I hated my last minute changes, bailed out and mostly changed everything back, headed out to the track, crossed the line with a "pole" lap of 26.5 with 10 seconds on the race countdown timer, which is apparently to late, started 12th. :(

I had 2 crashes in the first 5 laps or so also, which pretty much cleared me of contention. Pit in on lap 19, since I drove so poorly in the first stint and wore the tires a bit extra.
Gained, gained, gained some more, but when I finally caught Dragon's draft, I started making mistakes again on the bald tires, lost his draft 2-3 times before finally reeling him in on the second half of the final lap. dove into the final turn to hot, saw I couldn't make a pass and short-shifted and coasted to the line in disappointment. :lol:
A very good race, and great finish, just wasn't happy with all the stupid little mistakes I made, especially towards the end.

Mr "I can't do a one-stop" :lol: Told ya.;)

I've seen whenever we do like 15 to 30 min quali, and somebody leaves the track back to the lounge and comes back on to the track, it messes up the starting grid for the race. But when everyone gets on track and stays on track after running their laps, not going into pits either and pressing pause, the starting grid is all good when race starts.

I've seen whenever we do like 15 to 30 min quali, and somebody leaves the track back to the lounge and comes back on to the track, it messes up the starting grid for the race. But when everyone gets on track and stays on track after running their laps, not going into pits either and pressing pause, the starting grid is all good when race starts.
That's an interesting thought.
But was anyone else's starting spot messed up? (that didn't leave the track)

I'm not sure why Pekka was at the back, but I assumed since the timer was started, my final lap didn't count. Had that happen once in a series too, though I crossed that line for pole with roughly 1-2 seconds on the clock.:scared: (Also didn't count)

I'm not sure why Pekka was at the back, but I assumed since the timer was started, my final lap didn't count. Had that happen once in a series too, though I crossed that line for pole with roughly 1-2 seconds on the clock.:scared: (Also didn't count)

yes it was, i had myself as 6th towards the end and I started 4th when the race started.

yes it was, i had myself as 6th towards the end and I started 4th when the race started.
Well then hopefully we've come across something here, first I've heard of it.👍

I hadn't even considered changing my setup would affect anyone else's starting position, other then my running a faster lap, of course. :P

At least if I caused it, I started last though.:lol:

I started off with a lowly 27.0, but decided I hated my last minute changes, bailed out and mostly changed everything back, headed out to the track, crossed the line with a "pole" lap of 26.5 with 10 seconds on the race countdown timer, which is apparently to late, started 12th. :(

I had 2 crashes in the first 5 laps or so also, which pretty much cleared me of contention. Pit in on lap 19, since I drove so poorly in the first stint and wore the tires a bit extra.
Gained, gained, gained some more, but when I finally caught Dragon's draft, I started making mistakes again on the bald tires, lost his draft 2-3 times before finally reeling him in on the second half of the final lap. dove into the final turn to hot, saw I couldn't make a pass and short-shifted and coasted to the line in disappointment. :lol:
A very good race, and great finish, just wasn't happy with all the stupid little mistakes I made, especially towards the end.

Mr "I can't do a one-stop" :lol: Told ya.;)

Exhibit #1: CSL started in the back although he ran the fastest lap.
Exhibit #2: CSL had two crashes in the first five laps.
Exhibit #3: I ran a PR quali lap and started on the pole.
Exhibit #4: I ran an error free race and had the advantage of clean air the entire time.

Result: I gave up a 12 second lead with 15 laps to go and *barely* held on for the win by under a second.

Closing Argument: You the jury must conclude that the stars were perfectly aligned for me to win. Had any one of the above not been true I would have finished at best 2nd and most likely 3rd.

Verdict: I'll take the win any way I can get it (short of cheating or playing dirty of course).

3D3_20111123_Event11_Gaps_NA.png

Here are the leaderboard videos from which I extracted the data:

Last edited:
3D3_20111123_Event11_Gaps_NA.png

Lap 30 actually has my pride and joy from the race I think.
Most miraculous save of my life, wouldn't make it 99 times out of 100, at best.

Don't take credit from yourself though Tim, racing isn't just about lapping speed, and while I had to drive through traffic, I encountered no real difficult passes or hold-ups along the way, my crashes were my own error too.
You ran a great race and pulled off the 1-stop, pat yourself on the back, you deserve it.:cheers:

Don't make me pull out the Fast and Furious quotes.:lol:

kk20
What times are everyone setting?

Everyone would typically run the offline WRS event until Sunday/Monday and they post splits there, but full lap times are secret until Monday by rule for WRS.

No such rule here for online, but I just don't expect to see many running much online practice until they submit their times for WRS.

To see offline splits see: http://wrs.gtplanet.net/

See this for offline details and what others are discussing:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=232666

Why did CSL start in the back? And Pekka? Did they quali bad on purpose or have a bad quali and get disrupted like Dragon or did the system glitch them like it's done to me before?

I thought we were placed in reverse order grid when I saw Dominic behind me.

I lost my chances for podium finish when I went for the pit stop on lap 22 and was entering the pits at too high speed.
I pulled the e-brake and thought I was fine.
I possibly cancelled the pit stop if that's even possible by pressing circle at pit entry.
Or then I missed the "pit window" - the time frame where I was meant to select amount of fuel and type of tyres to fit in.
My pit team grid slot was the first one , right after the pit entry on the left , if I remember correctly.

Don't make me pull out the Fast and Furious quotes.:lol:

There are others I haven't heard off?
I allways thought there was just one. Something about winning by inch or a mile being the same. :sly:

MadMax

I thought we were placed in reverse order grid when I saw Dominic behind me.

I think we have to be absolutely clear next time we do single stint quali (i.e. next week) that *nobody* is allowed in the pits OR to leave the lounge for any reason once qualification starts. A DC we can't do much about obviously and will give the driver a chance to return, but I don't think that actually messes with things. Now we know it's going to impact everyone and not just the driver who leaves the track and so we will make it more clear.

Both events yesterday we had infractions to the no pit, no leaving track rule. Moving forward the penalty for leaving track or pitting when it's not allowed will be a required pit stop after lap 1. :sly:

Of course it would be a lot better if PD just fixed their code, but until then we're left to make the most of it.

:ouch: I thought I wasn't allowed to re-enter the track when I entered the pits; not that I can't enter the spits at all. Sorry admins, I guess I got what I deserved.:dopey:

I think we have to be absolutely clear next time we do single stint quali (i.e. next week) that *nobody* is allowed in the pits OR to leave the lounge for any reason once qualification starts. A DC we can't do much about obviously and will give the driver a chance to return, but I don't think that actually messes with things. Now we know it's going to impact everyone and not just the driver who leaves the track and so we will make it more clear.

Both events yesterday we had infractions to the no pit, no leaving track rule. Moving forward the penalty for leaving track or pitting when it's not allowed will be a required pit stop after lap 1. :sly:

Of course it would be a lot better if PD just fixed their code, but until then we're left to make the most of it.
I missed it as a rule altogether.:dunce:
I thought it was more of something that was said so the guys that used to quit or pit once they were done qualifying would stop losing their place.
Never actually considered that one car leaving for a tweak would wreck the whole fields times.:confused:

I'm not convinced that will fix the issue strictly because I haven't tested it, but stranger things have happened. But like I said, if I caused it, at least I got put on the back. :lol:

Speaking of not returning to the pits... i think it was a bit distracting for people parking on the track.

As far as i know, driving back into the pits (not pressing pause - then exit) will not mess up the grid order. That's how it was in Aderrrm's GT4 Cup and my short lived Citroen Cup.

edit: small correction. fixed.

I missed it as a rule altogether.:dunce:
I thought it was more of something that was said so the guys that used to quit or pit once they were done qualifying would stop losing their place.
Never actually considered that one car leaving for a tweak would wreck the whole fields times.:confused:

I'm not convinced that will fix the issue strictly because I haven't tested it, but stranger things have happened. But like I said, if I caused it, at least I got put on the back. :lol:

No worries at all Dom. You're right that you were the one punished the most and I benefited the most. I earned pole minus your last second lap which obviously made the cutoff so it wasn't a gift completely, but it didn't hurt to have you start in the back. :sly: We are still trying to figure out what kind of rules Kaz put into this crazy program plus he changes things randomly every update.

The stewards didn't exactly follow the specs to the letter either as the event post called for a formation lap and rolling start which we just skipped for a grid start out of simplicity.

Speaking of not returning to the pits... i think it was a bit distracting for people parking on the track.

As far as i know, driving back into the pits (not pressing pause - then exit) will not mess up the grid order. That's how it was in Aderrrm's GT4 Cup and my short lived Citroen Cup.

edit: small correction. fixed.

If the cars park far enough away from the track I don't see why they should be a big distraction. Ok, they are a little distracting, but we're imaginary professional race car drivers and I'd think we can handle it as long as they are well out of the way. I think when they are doing donuts while people are still running hot laps it's definitely distracting and thus it won't be allowed.

I'm willing to test anything on non race days. Marc, Lucas and I tested the no pit single stint approach a few times and felt it worked reliably enough that we wanted to stick to it because it's a quick and easy way to qualify. We were about to punt on the entire online live quali approach after Spec II when we tried the single stint quali approach and it worked consistently during testing.

I have seen when people pit and come back out that their lap can be forgotten (not sure about the rest of the grid). It's happened to me personally in Gamesta's series where I pitted, got new tires and went back out on lower fuel load gunning for pole (which is allowed in that series) and ended up messing up 2nd stint. My first stint would have had me on the 2nd row, but I started based on only my 2nd stint best lap which was the 4th row. 👎 So now I'm always afraid to pit during quali even when it's allowed as I suspect the system "sometimes" forgets your time from the stint before your last pit. Basically, in that series, if I nail a lap on my first stint with heavy fuel I just park off track and wait for Dragon to beat my time on low fuel. :ouch:

Actually, the rule was - once you drive back into the pits, you can no longer come back on to the track. Having everyone in the pits also can lessen the chances of having the dreaded black screen. :)

**Important information regarding the GTP_3D3Racing PSN ID, and Lounge**

Starting immediately with the Cape Fear Online event, 3D3 Racing will hold all regular Wednesday races and all practices in the newly created GTP_3D3Racing lounge. All drivers listed in the 3D3 Racing Registry have been sent a friend request from this PSN account.
If you do not see GTP_3D3Racing in your friends list, you need to add this ID to your friends list ASAP so you can access the lounge.

We've created the GTP_3D3Racing lounge in order to simplify both practice and race hosting. We will no longer need to specify the room host in advance, as it will always be GTP_3D3Racing unless otherwise specified.

The GTP_3D3Racing lounge will also serve as a 3D3 "community resource". A common area where 3D3 drivers can come and go as they please any time there isn't an official event scheduled. Drivers are encouraged to post in this thread that they are joining (or planning to join) the lounge, but posting is not required. If you are online in GT5 and you see drivers in the lounge it is assumed you are welcome to join them and if you are first to enter the lounge you implicitly agree that other 3D3 drivers can join you. Every driver has their own lounge for private use so this community lounge should always have a welcome mat outside the front door. 👍

All registered 3D3 drivers are welcome to use the lounge whenever they please with the exception of officially scheduled 3D3 events (All day Wednesdays and listed official practice times). Please vacate the lounge 60 minutes prior to any officially scheduled event.

The lounge was also created in order to free up the private lounges of GTP_Hydro and GTP_WRP001, who had previously hosted all 3D3 events. Both of us have joined other racing series, and we often need to have our lounges available for other series or events. If either of us are running a 3D3 event in our personal lounges and we wish to have others join us, we will post the details in this thread, but for the most part, all 3D3 Racing events and practices will be held in the new GTP_3D3Racing lounge.

The event schedule for Wednesdays will not change. For all races the room will officially open 1 hour before qualifying. If any drivers have entered the room before the official host (Hydro, WRP or a designated alternative), they will be asked to leave the room and re-enter so a proper host is established. This is very important to ensure that any unexpected connection issues do not arise. We are fully aware of the current issues that affect certain drivers, and we would like to avoid any new ones by keeping the host connection as consistent as possible.

The practice schedule for both Monday (NA) and Tuesday (EU) will not change. These practice sessions have proved to be a tremendous success as they provide a regular time for the drivers to get to know each other, meet the newer drivers, and have some fun in a non-race environment. Considering all the tuning and driving advice that gets discussed in the practice sessions, it's definitely a benefit to all drivers that can make it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

GTP_3D3Racing's Lounge Details

If you are the first driver in the lounge for an open practice session, you will need to setup the room's settings to match the event. Here's the standard settings we always use for practice sessions:

Course Settings:
Just select the proper track for the current event if it hasn't already been selected.

Event Settings:
Game mode: Normal Race (default)
Laps: 5 (or set the lap count so the practice race lasts 8-12 minutes)
Start Type: Grid Start (default)
Grid order: Fastest First (default)
Boost: Off
Penalty: None
Automatic Race Start Cycle: Disabled (default)
Race Finish Delay: 90 seconds (Races are set to 180 seconds)
Visible Damage: On (default)
Mechanical Damage: Light
Slipstream Strength: Weak
Tire Wear / Fuel Consumption: On
Grip Reduction: Low
Shuffle Settings: Not Applicable

Regulation Settings:
For practice purposes, the following settings really don't need to be changed, but you can copy the settings from the current event post:
Car Restrictions
Performance Points
Power
Weight
Drivetrain
Vehicle Tuning
- Always leave this setting as "unrestricted" for practice regardless of the event.

The only settings that must be set / checked are:
Tire Restrictions: ** match the event details **
No Skid Recovery Force: Must be checked off so that SRF is prohibited at all times.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information will be copied and maintained in the General Information post on the first page of this thread.

3D3Signature.png

Last edited:
I would like to subscribe to the NA events but I'm not sure how I can get my connection to be more stable. If I have to buy a new router that is able to allow my connection to finally morph into NAT1, DMZ, and all the other acrinymz I'll do it. I didn't know if routers could get to old to move data properly so they don't bottle neck. It's not like my downstream will ever increse beyond what straw size my ISP sells me. Where I'm at I can only get .75 mps down and .25 mps up so maybe thats what it all comes down to in the end and I will never be able to fire hose data to a level that my system won't collapse. I'm always on pins and needles when I see a big lounge because I know my crash is near or at least thats the way it seems.

Any ideas on this would let me know if I am destined for only small lobbies or if the problem can be rectified and I can max out my connection by a more modern router given the fact that my real bottle neck is my .75 mps down stream........ Thankzzz

Last edited:
I would like to subscribe to the NA events but I'm not sure how I can get my connection to be more stable. If I have to buy a new router that is able to allow my connection to finally morph into NAT1, DMZ, and all the other acrinymz I'll do it. I didn't know if routers could get to old to move data properly so they don't bottle neck. It's not like my downstream will ever increse beyond what straw size my ISP sells me. Where I'm at I can only get .75 mps down and .25 mps up so maybe thats what it all comes down to in the end and I will never be able to fire hose data to a level that my system won't collapse. I'm always on pins and needles when I see a big lounge because I know my crash is near or at least thats the way it seems.

Any ideas on this would let me know if I am destined for only small lobbies or if the problem can be rectified and I can max out my connection by a more modern router given the fact that my real bottle neck is my .75 mps down stream........ Thankzzz

I'll send you a PM and we'll see if there's something that can help. 👍

...It's not like my downstream will ever increse beyond what straw size my ISP sells me. Where I'm at I can only get .75 mps down and .25 mps up so maybe thats what it all comes down to in the end and I will never be able to fire hose data to a level that my system won't collapse....

It's totally possible your bandwidth is the issue and given the evidence that larger grids seem to give you the most issues that might an issue that we are powerless to fix.

It's possible the system gives the network a certain period of time to establish connections to the other drivers and if a connection isn't made then you get booted. Also if only one or two driver connections are not made you can stay in the room, but suffer invisible driver issues.

One way I know to reduce the individual drivers (client) bandwidth requirement is to use public lobbies with a fixed host (server), but that's seems to have been completely shot down as an option for 3D3 events because it's not worth risking everyone's race if the host has an issue.

Also mics take up bandwidth, but they add a lot to the events so we're keeping them... although we've started using the "low" quality setting for mics to reduce the bandwidth required.

I'd be really sorry if you can't make our events because it's really fun to drive with you and you've been a big supporter of 3D3 from day one. I really hope this can be worked out and I can continue to try and figure out a way to pass you on the track (which is no small task). :sly:

You may want to make a special effort to join the rooms very early and see if that helps. If you are first to join after the host then your system only needs to establish connections as each additional driver joins and not all at once. It's worth a shot, but it may be a case of the early bird getting the worm.

It's also possible that there is a single driver that you cannot coexist with. We suspected it might have been Masi so we switched from Hydro's lobby to mine, but it wasn't an issue with Masi so you got DC'd quickly from my lobby too. Obviously independent from the host as you had issues with both Hydro and my lounge.

You may have to also do a pre race routine:

1. Reset your ISP modem by powering it down and turning it back on
  2. Reset your router by powering it down and turning it back on
  3. Shut down and restart the PS3 and load up GT5 fresh
  4. Clear the cache in the settings area of GT5
  5. Enter the room *early*

Perform 1-4 a bit ahead of time and then enter the room right shortly after the host. And don't forget to change your oil. :sly:

Also mics take up bandwidth, but they add a lot to the events so we're keeping them... although we've started using the "low" quality setting for mics to reduce the bandwidth required.
Speaking of, I talked to one of you about it last week, if you're saying something that pertains to the whole room, you really gotta get up in the mic's face and say it loud and proud, typically speaking, I hear 1 word per sentence through mics in the 3D3 lounges.

Like when you guys were taking the picture for the current event, I didn't have the slightest clue what you were doing or saying the entire time. I'm gonna try turning my sound and menu music down 5% (to 90%) to see if that helps, but at least over my TV, it's generally very inaudible.

Hey guys, i just thought i'd put forth an idea i had a couple of months back - similar to the Inter-GT500 league and WSGTC's Playoff tourney system:
Race of Champions

This is not to be mistaken with the American IROC. I'm talking about an event similar to the annual 'Race of Champions' held in Europe - consisting of Drivers from various forms of motorsports - not limited to, but mostly champions of their respective disciplines.

CONCEPT
By year's end, we will invite Champions from various Series' inside the Racing Series section.
Two Championships: Individual and Nations Cup. In Nation's Cup, there will be 2 representatives per country.​

TRACKS
Option 1. Varies using in-game tracks.
Option 2. Custom/User generated to prevent any advantages. Preferably a small track - a complex Tokyo Bay for example.
Option 3. In-game and custom tracks.​

CARS
Will vary throughout events. Nothing too powerful.

Just an example, here is what they ran last year:
- Audi R8 LMS
- Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
- Volkswagen Scirocco
- ROC Car
- KTM X-Bow
- FJ-Racecar
- ROC 2-seater
- Solution F Prototype
- RX 150​

FOR FURTHER REFERENCE - Click here: 2010 Race of Champions

Also - bumped:
Actually, the rule was - once you drive back into the pits, you can no longer come back on to the track. Having everyone in the pits also can lessen the chances of having the dreaded black screen. :)

I'm gonna try turning my sound and menu music down 5% (to 90%) to see if that helps, but at least over my TV, it's generally very inaudible.
I'm 99% sure that's the 'problem'. I had to turn the menu music down to about 5% to hear the mics clearly.

I'm 99% sure that's the 'problem'. I had to turn the menu music down to about 5% to hear the mics clearly.
That could be. I didn't have the issue a month or two ago when the mic quality was higher, I actually couldn't hear the car/tires over the mics.

That's why I'm very reluctant to change the sound settings. No offense to those with mics, but the last thing I want is to listen to people talking during a race, it always seems to distract me, so for the actual race, I prefer the mics be drowned out.

That could be. I didn't have the issue a month or two ago when the mic quality was higher, I actually couldn't hear the car/tires over the mics.

That's why I'm very reluctant to change the sound settings. No offense to those with mics, but the last thing I want is to listen to people talking during a race, it always seems to distract me, so for the actual race, I prefer the mics be drowned out.

It varies somewhat randomly. I test and race with Marc *a lot* and 3/4 of the time I hear his mic just fine. The other 1/4 of the time I can't hear anything he's saying although I can hear his voice and know he's speaking.

It varies by driver. I can never hear Allibubba clear enough even when I can hear Marc loud and clear in the same room.

It varies by car. Some like the Calsonic are just so loud it's hard to hear anything else.

Marc also has the capability to turn up his mic level, but I don't think my system has that option.

We'll try to be more cognizant of people not being able to hear us. Maybe start making it a habit of me typing on the message board while Hydro does the verbal announcements (when possible).

If you guys are in the room and either of us is louder and more clear than the other please let us know and we'll assign that person to be the official to make race announcements and give instructions verbally.

And yes... turn off/down the background music. I have mine completely off now.

PS> And yes we should really limit use of the mics during the race or even live quali to the *absolute* minimum. They can be used freely in practice and test races, but all should keep radio silence as much as possible during races. We do want this to be a "social" and "fun" series so we won't go overboard and ban them completely.

PPS> if you are ever going to be a real race car driver you should get used to your race director's voice coming over your mic. :lol:

We can test it in our practice sessions next week. I'm all up for implementing this approach as long as the proper quali order is maintained for the grid. We know our system works if nobody leaves the track and we're always willing to test new ideas. 👍

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back