Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
AC/Shelby Cobra 427

Production: 1965-1967

Engine: 7.0 V8

Transmission: 4 speed

0-60: Way too fast (~4.5 seconds)

Standing 1/4 Mile: You wouldn't believe me if I told you (~12.4 seconds)​

Cool. I can't say why, just is. Maybe an original AC Ace/289 would be verging on sub-zero.

The materialization of the term overkill, it's so ridiculous that only the very extremes of the scale come into question and I'm definitely going with sub-zero. I doubt there will ever be anything that comes anywhere close to the Cobra in needing balls made of diamonds when it comes to driving it to the limits.

This car deserves its own section of the board, frankly. Half a century later, its still one of the most potent packages you can get out on the street, and on the track. All of that, and you have a gazillion options when it comes to building one in your own garage.

Likely to kill you if your foot twitches? Check

Epic looks? Check

Absolutely out of mind crazy idea? Check

Completely made out of solid hydrogen? Check

Big American V8 in a little European body. It was the perfect recipe for speed and death. This thing tells people "I have money, but I'm not a douche". Its cool, but with the Shelby name its...

Sub-Zero.

I wouldn't have thought the question needed to be asked.
This is the coolest of cool, and probably will be after we're all gone.
sub-zero

Modified British Chassis: Check
WAY too much engine: Check

I'm tempted to just Vote "Cool" based on the sheer number of replicas available, but...there's the real thing...

Aw, to hell with it.
S-Z

I would literally be frozen in my tracks if I saw one. That's pretty much all that needs to be said...

ABSOLUTE ZERO

An automotive Icon

SUB-ZERO

If this car does not make it into Lord Kelvins icebox,then there is a major league problem.

This is one of those cars you don't even have to ask about. Whether you're an absolute automotive dunce or one of the motoring cognoscenti, your opinion will likely be the same.

And even if you've experienced the terror of driving a horse cart with a torquey V8 firsthand, you'll probably still feel the same.

Subzero.

I was tempted to go with a plain old "cool" on this one because it's so bonkers. But then I thought, how many bonkers cars are as copied

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

SubZero

I agree that this, the Macca F1, the Mercedes 300SL, Gullwing, 288GTO etc deserve a separate rating just to emphasise how far off the cool scale they are.

Was going to go with cool because of the large amount of replicas. However that actually makes it even cooler since it makes a real one that much more special.

Sub-:censored:zero

The noise that the Cobra makes is enough to warrant a sub-zero rank in my books. When you hear it coming you know it's going to be awesome and sure enough, it is.

Lovely sound, classic design, incredible performance and rare. Gotta be sub-zero.

No question about it! SUB ZERO. One of the greatest cars of all time in my opinion!

Hell, the Dodge Viper was designed to be a new Shelby Cobra!

I say keep this beauty refrigerated!

By the way, the first Shelby Cobra ever built by Caroll himself is in Houston, and I've seen it.

Definitely cooler than sub-zero. Cooler than a liquid nitrogen bath in the north pole.

Absolute Zero :D

A true icon... absolutely sub zero.

Though I actually think the 289 is a purer, nicer shape....

289.jpg

Not half as cool as the earlier 289 Cobra, the one that actually had some international racing success, the 427 was out classed by the time it hit the race tracks and the million replicas around make it just scrape a cool.

Latest Posts

Back