Breaking in cars?

• Thread starter Clytius
  • 17 comments
Canada
Canada
What does it mean to "brake in a car". I always see rooms while playing GT5 online titled "Breaking in Cars". I was wondering what it meant and how do you do it?

Basically, when you drive a car with 0 miles you gain hp, the more miles driven the more hp the car gets, Excellence I hear you say i'll keep driving = more hp! but if you drive too much the engine wears and you start to lose hp = engine rebuild (500,000cr)
I think the break in limit is about 5000miles but I can't be 100% sure?

You can see this when you do challenges with pp or hp limits, when you set the car to the limit and completed the race try to re enter the race (with out changing any settings on the car) you will now exceed the required pp or hp limits

Last edited:
Just do the first endurance race in a 0 mile car, then do another race and change the oil/ rebuild the engine.

What does it mean to "brake in a car". I always see rooms while playing GT5 online titled "Breaking in Cars". I was wondering what it meant and how do you do it?

To 'brake in a car' means simply that, hitting the brakes whilst in a car.
To 'break in a car', means driving it around to allow the engine to fully mold it's components (pistons, mostly) thus reaching the engines maximum potential.

To 'break in a car', means driving it around to allow the engine to fully mold it's components (pistons, mostly) thus reaching the engines maximum potential.

,,,or using a screwdriver to pop the glass on the window to "liberate" the stereo :)
(sorry, just couldn't help myself!)

"Breaking" in a car means to drive it so the engine gets all of it's components fully active. (Atleast that's what I think.)

Basically, when you drive a car with 0 miles you gain hp, the more miles driven the more hp the car gets, Excellence I hear you say i'll keep driving = more hp! but if you drive too much the engine wears and you start to lose hp = engine rebuild (500,000cr)
I think the break in limit is about 5000miles but I can't be 100% sure?

You can see this when you do challenges with pp or hp limits, when you set the car to the limit and completed the race try to re enter the race (with out changing any settings on the car) you will now exceed the required pp or hp limits
Thanks for the explanation. I now have a pretty good idea.

In GT4 we used to "break in cars" for 200 pt races by running it thousands of miles. That way, when you're about to enter an endurance race you set up the car with the engine at its lowest hp. Once it's set up it, the h.p. never gets any lower and you've got an advantage over the cars that lose h.p. over an endurance race. I suppose it would work for GT5 when running races at a certain PP. You're car is locked in at a PP while the other cars lose steam at the end of the race. Although I'm not sure if opponent cars do lose h.p. over a long endurance race in GT5. I think they do from a cursory observation.

It means driving a car to some extent to fully get the components of the engine active.

It means driving a car to some extent to fully get the components of the engine active.

yea and then rebuild the engine in gt5 uselessly or a rebuild doesn't restore the engine fully when it has too many miles.

that is the point of a rebuild...

Closer to 100, for most cars, as it generally takes 250 miles to achieve optimum state. (my R35 TC took 265 to get up to full power)

Recon
Just do the first endurance race in a 0 mile car, then do another race and change the oil/ rebuild the engine.

+1

I put my 0 miles GT-R black edition in the 4hr Nürburgring using B-spec.

Horsepower jump a fair bit after rebuild.

Back