GT4 vs Forza [Let the battle begin]

• Thread starter Front
  • 5,710 comments
Right, but Consle purchasers are not die-hard realism junkies. This explains why NASCAR Heat 2002 didn't sell too well, even though it is, in my opinion, the most realistic NASCAR sim to ever make it to PS2. That might explain why Papyrus left the consle game, back when they were in buisness, because they knew casual gamers would say it's too tough...

I see your point but then again there are others who want this on consoles, why else would PD go into the trouble of working with Logitech to produce a true-to-as-real-life FFB 900deg wheel, casual gamers won't buy this and the way I see it, it's for the pure racers who will buy and expect more from GT because of this. IMO anyway...

The average age of PS2 users is well into their mid 20's now.

They want more than your average (albeit very good) arcade driving game such as Burnout/Ridge Racer.

PD got the ball rolling with the GT series and now we are seeing many more full on sims in development for consoles. Enthusia, Forza, Richard Buurns Rally are all sims. Even GTR is coming to the Xbox.

When the PS3 and Xbox 2 come out all of the new, big PC sims will make there way to the consoles to challenge the likes of PD.

JAGUAR
Firstly FIA GT and JGTC cars are very different. JGTC cars have far less power and superior aerodynamics. They are more like a DTM type car with lots of mechnical grip. You can be much more aggressive with the throttle in a JGTC car than an FIA GTS car.

Thats besides the point. You can tell very little about physics from videos. The videos show the attitude of the cars when braking, turning etc. but not much about throttle control, even with the graphical representations of the throttle/brake in the game.

About the FIA GT and JGTC cars.

This is a JGTC GT500 car:
http://www.jgtc.net/race/2004/04team/04team_ph/04tm021m.jpg
Ferrari 550 Maranello
5850cc V12 engine tuned by Pro Drive
600bhp

This is a FIA GT car:
http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/happenings/images/550gt_fiorano/naspetti.jpg
Ferrari 550 Maranello
5850cc V12 engine tuned by pro drive
600bhp

Ofcourse there are differences but I think those are quite comparable. :embarrassed:

Quote: You can tell very little about physics from videos.

I can tell that someone is flatout in the middle of a corner. So from what I've seen in these (not final builds) videos ;)

Why focus on the JGTC cars and I'd like to know why they aremeant to be so easy to drive, the C5-R and the GTRS-R were easy to drive too, in GT4:P you don't have to be that careful, granted it's a step in the right direction but it's no leap to catch up with the likes of live for speed and GTR. But your right, at the end of the day GT4 wil be great to play and fun to dive the cars and thats the most important thing. aj_ is spot you play thoes proper sims with a decent setup and you'll see the difference, and I think GT4 will be better than GT4:P but it won't be so much better it's up there with GTR.

I may be so bold and cheeky as to throw in the fact that GTR is coming to XBox also, damn I envy you guys and if Forza turns out to be as good as it says then XBox may take the "got to have" console racing sim title!!

I'm saving for a PC now !! :lol:

Wow, there are a few more Forza supporters/not haters than I would expect on a forum like this. That is a good sign(for the forum I mean).

Forza has sounded incredible, but until now I wasn't overly wowed by any pics. A few at ign look pretty awesome though.

forza-motorsport-20040728063454327.jpg

forza-motorsport-20040728063453436.jpg

forza-motorsport-20040728063453858.jpg

This final one really was the icing on the cake.

forza-motorsport-20040728063452358.jpg

All 4 of those pics got posted before, perhaps it was the other Forza thread though. One thing that keeps impressing me is the backdrops actually, some are quite picturesque.

One thing that keeps impressing me is the backdrops actually, some are quite picturesque.

I've noticed that also.... but some of the backdrops look rather bland but after seeing the ferrari 360 modena video for Forza I can honestly say that Forza has some of the most detailed backdrops and trackside objects i've ever seen....

Pics look great but it doesnt look anywhere as realistic as gt4. I dont know, maybe it's the colors or maybe the developers aren't using gobal illumination in the game as good as PD is using in gt4. The graphics kind of look cartoony, judging from the vids I have seen.

I guess it's me, but it looks like the wheels spinning in GT4 look more realistic than the ones in Forza. Anyways,
went to EB (I always get my games there) and reserved Forza in full.

Hmmm, forza just has this haze look I cant put my finger on. It just doesn't look all that realistic when seen in motion. It looks pretty realistic in those pics but in the vids..........meh.

cobragt
Pics look great but it doesnt look anywhere as realistic as gt4. I dont know, maybe it's the colors or maybe the developers aren't using gobal illumination in the game as good as PD is using in gt4. The graphics kind of look cartoony, judging from the vids I have seen.

I agree with u in practically all u said. Forza is never as good as GT 4.

I've heard Forza has Ferrari in it, but does anyone have any pics of it in the game?

BTW, GT-One Lover, I heard you can tune GT-ONE race car in the game. I thought you might like that. But I'm sure you can do that too in GT4. Just wanted to let you know.

Nizar1980
I agree with u in practically all u said. Forza is never as good as GT 4.
Dont get me wrong, the detail in foraz is better than gt4's detail but it just doesn't have that look gt4 has that makes it look ultra realistic.

cobragt
Dont get me wrong, the detail in foraz is better than gt4's detail but it just doesn't have that look gt4 has that makes it look ultra realistic.

I know what you mean, a good 80% of the time I will agree with you on the realism thing. I do however find in games like PGR2 and now Forza there are instances with the proper lighting, and for a few seconds the game becomes almost real.

On average GT4 will look more realistic, but it never quite reaches that peak(at least for me) A good example of this is an exterior cam on an angle in Florence in PGR2.

I am sure by then that they would have aleast a demo of GT5 ......even if its one car and one track.........The pic is very intereting......shows when they aim to release everything.........:lol:......the call it "next system"......well dur! its going to be PS3...unless they called it something totally random!

Pak
About the FIA GT and JGTC cars.

This is a JGTC GT500 car:
http://www.jgtc.net/race/2004/04team/04team_ph/04tm021m.jpg
Ferrari 550 Maranello
5850cc V12 engine tuned by Pro Drive
600bhp

This is a FIA GT car:
http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/happenings/images/550gt_fiorano/naspetti.jpg
Ferrari 550 Maranello
5850cc V12 engine tuned by pro drive
600bhp

Ofcourse there are differences but I think those are quite comparable. :embarrassed:

I can tell that someone is flatout in the middle of a corner. So from what I've seen in these (not final builds) videos ;)

Not wanting to be picky :) , but the 550 in the JGTC is not really comparable to the Works JGTC cars.

The 550 is basically an FIA GT car with less power, smaller wings and venturies. This why they cannot really compete with the best GT500 cars.

The GT500 cars are more like a mini prototype like and LMP2 car or a DTM car.

BTW what is wrong with being flat out in the middle of a corner? If a car has sufficient grip and downforce they can go flat out. The visual representations of the throttle/brake don't represent, 100%, what you are actually doing. E.G when you blip the throttle in the middle of a corner this does not always show up on the graphical display for some reason! :crazy:

I'll say it again GT4P is in a different league to GT3 in terms of physics, yet this is over a year old now. We have seen very little of the latest build so lets jsut wait and see. The handling 'looks' very similar in vidoes but is totally different in GT4P than previous GT games.

I am looking forward to Forza and GTR just as much, particulalry after playing GTR on a full sim set up at the Donnington FIA GT race.

Pak

Most notably most of the videos ive seen have not shown the game at its full realism.
Most vids at the very least show people using Normal Tyres=Arcade full grip.
This allows you to be flat out accelerator in the turns.
ANd you can have your foot on the floor, you still got to wait for the phyiscs engine to bring up the power and the revs.

In order to appreciate the fullness of the physics engine as seen in prologue, you have to set traction off in the menus, assits off, then select Road tyres, and then you really do need the new Driving Force Pro at full feedback.
The Game is actually quite difficult for most people to play when set up this way, and any thing but the shopping trolleys under full acceleration, or to high entry in the corners will be all over the road, then the feedback in the wheel kicks in and gives the Pendulum effect which upsets the balance and the steering, this is something that you can not get with the Dual shock.

Under those settings, braking points are essential, correct entry speed, and feathering of the throttle until you find the grip is essential, If not you will slide horrendously in the turns, get all out of shape and more often than not end up spinning out. (this is not always the case if you use Normal tyres and assists).

In Gt4P many people complained how difficult it was to keep the Maclaren on the track for 10 laps in the catch up test.
Just take it out on the track and turn off the assists, and see how hard it really is.
If you nail the throttle anywhere in a turn you will be instatnly off in a spin, same if you put it over the curbs, and upset the balance.

In order to fully appreciate the Physics The DFP is essential, with the pad it becomes more unrealistic.
I dont want GT4 to model real life to perfection, everyone would be crashing out all the time, there has to be some element of fun.
But what it does do is give the best feeling of actually controlling a car in any console game so far.
And each individual car is modelled with a set of statistics taken from the real world counterpart, which Pds physics engine quite effectively according to lap time comparisons, represents each individual cars charachteristcs quite effectively.

If Forza is Better, I dont really care, I will enjoy GT4.
If Forza ends up anywhere near as good as GT4, and provides a wheel that feels real, then maybe ill consider that aswell.

JAGUAR
Not wanting to be picky :) , but the 550 in the JGTC is not really comparable to the Works JGTC cars.

The 550 is basically an FIA GT car with less power, smaller wings and venturies. This why they cannot really compete with the best GT500 cars.

The GT500 cars are more like a mini prototype like and LMP2 car or a DTM car.

BTW what is wrong with being flat out in the middle of a corner? If a car has sufficient grip and downforce they can go flat out. The visual representations of the throttle/brake don't represent, 100%, what you are actually doing. E.G when you blip the throttle in the middle of a corner this does not always show up on the graphical display for some reason! :crazy:

I'll say it again GT4P is in a different league to GT3 in terms of physics, yet this is over a year old now. We have seen very little of the latest build so lets jsut wait and see. The handling 'looks' very similar in vidoes but is totally different in GT4P than previous GT games.

I am looking forward to Forza and GTR just as much, particulalry after playing GTR on a full sim set up at the Donnington FIA GT race.

It's true that the works cars can corner and brake faster, but they can't beat the laws of physics. Btw if they weren't comparable they wouldn't drive in the same league.

They are comparable in the following situation: aproaching a hairpin, braking hard, easy on throttle, in the middle of corner while steer is not straight smash the gas, result is: spinout, lose control, facing backwards.

Now for GT4:P
Aproaching a hairpin, braking hard, easy on throttle, in the middle of corner while steer is not straight smash the gas, result is: wheelspin, oversteer, easily corrected, drive on. :)

The 550 in the JGTC is restricted to the same rules as the works cars, they do compete but the works cars win, the 550 when racing in GTS is faster and more powerful than it is when racing in GT500 the cars from GTS are allowed to race but they have a few changes made first and different restrictors to limit power further than in GTS races.

As for GT4:P it's still far to easy to control the cars, I've driven cars in GT4:P before and they don't drive the same, in GT4:P they are still too easy to drive.

Pak
, but they can't beat the laws of physics. Insert Captain and say with a scottish accent :)

Aproaching a hairpin, braking hard, easy on throttle, in the middle of corner while steer is not straight smash the gas, result is: wheelspin, oversteer, easily corrected, drive on. :)

Not with the DF Pro my friend! When I got Prologue I only had the DS2, now I am having to relearn the whole thing. Even in quite low powered cars like the NSX Zero you have to do your braking in a straight line, and feed the power in rather than smashing it if you don't want to be overtaken by the back end!

Pak
They are comparable in the following situation: aproaching a hairpin, braking hard, easy on throttle, in the middle of corner while steer is not straight smash the gas, result is: spinout, lose control, facing backwards.

With Road tyres no assits and dfp:
driving on the limits correctly.
Approach hairpin brake hard, turn in feel the weight transfer, and grip come in, easy on the throttle, through to the apex, power out as car pushes out wide as you let the steering straighten out.

If you get it wrong.
Approach hairpin, brake hard/ brake too late car understeer slides straight on.
Middle of corner, still turning in, mash the throttle to hard too early result is: wheelspin, oversteer, unsettled balance, lose control, spin out.
when the car is off balance it is not easy to countercorrect oversteer with throttle fully mashed in Gt4p with these settings as you think above.

Both these examples are as it should be in real life.

I find it hard to have an informed discussion about the relative merits of GT4Ps physics with someone who has not even played the game.

I could say F1 is a piece of piss after watching a GP, but we all know it is not. :)

Pak

I'm sorry but that is completly wrong. If you do as you say in GT4P you will indeed spin out every single time. I should know I've done it enough times on the time trial trying to set quickest times. :dopey:

As for the JGTC the 550s may well be in the same class but their design philosophy is at complete opposites. The GT500 cars are like a DTM, single seater type car with more grip than power, at least compared to a FIA/ACO 550.

JAGUAR
I find it hard to have an informed discussion about the relative merits of GT4Ps physics with someone who has not even played the game.

I could say F1 is a piece of piss after watching a GP, but we all know it is not. :)

In a F1 race you don't see throttle bars or whatsoever and if you'd see them you'd also see the drivers don't smash the gas suddenly in the middle of a hairpin altough F1 cars have lots of aids etc.

JAGUAR
I'm sorry but that is completly wrong. If you do as you say in GT4P you will indeed spin out every single time. I should know I've done it enough times on the time trial trying to set quickest times. :dopey:

As for the JGTC the 550s may well be in the same class but their design philosophy is at complete opposites. The GT500 cars are like a DTM, single seater type car with more grip than power, at least compared to a FIA/ACO 550.

I'll explain why I said JGTC and FIA GT are quite comparable.

I think the JGTC cars in GT4:P don't drive realistic, too easy to control. So I said, try GTR to find out how hard the cars are to control because the cars are quite comparable with the JGTC. Both are GT's, both have lotsa power and grip/downforce, both can't be drifted easy, some FIA GT cars (tuned for JGTC regulations) even drive in the JGTC. I'm not saying they're exactly the same.

That's why I said they're quite comparable. I wouldn't say go play Grand Prix Legends to find out how hard JGTC cars are to control.

Within 3 to 4 days I'll have GT4:P myself and I can test the cars with al tyres and without aids (with driving force). I'll post my findings then.

Back