GT4 vs Forza [Let the battle begin]

• Thread starter Front
  • 5,710 comments
I think I'm finally starting to understand Robin through his miscelaneous ramblings. What I think he means, is that the GT series has that certain, special, "je ne sais quois" stamp of irrefutable polish and quality. It just FEELS rock solid, from the menus to the replays to the car models. Simply put, it has a style all it's own, that can never be properly imitated. Forza is gonna have a tough time trying to find it's own identity when compared to GT's pedigree.

I would agree, if that's the case, but it is still no excuse to put down other games that show promise.

Rocket Punch
The AI thing is really interesting, but I will have to see how well it will work. Does anyonw know if Forza support FFB steering ?
I don't think there is one for Xbox anyway, and that is a BIG DOWN.?
?

They have not said anything about it yet.
This is Microsoft's first driving/racing simulation game for XBOX. Maybe they will release one when Forza is released since they make/made force feedback wheels for PC.

I will also be buying both. Even though I am split 50/50 between the games I think GT4 should and will be better. PD has had numerous years to improve upon the GT series while this is Forza's debut onto the driving simulator scene. Forza looks great, the scenery is much better than GT4, but on the other hand, GT4 has better looking, and more cars. Well, since Microsoft has about 6+ months to improve, i am hoping they step up on some of their car details. I have to say since I have all the GT games already, I will be buying Forza first.

hm...hehe since forza is going to have cars the users will want to drive, then hopefully they include the stock McLaren car. I have seen a screenshot of the same McLaren in Gt4, but then that does'nt make it much different apart from the ferraris now eh?

Yeah! Althought I haven't seen Forza myself, but just think of what we saw before.

GT1 and GT2 compare to Dreamcast SegaGT
You will know Gran Turismo is the best driving game out there. No matter other console is better or not.

They may catch up with Forza 2 or Forza 3, but definitely not Forza!!

GT4 will have cars people want to drive, not everyone thinks supercars are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

i've said it before and i'll say it again
the great thing about GT4 is that it has cars that Joe Blue-collar can afford and can turn into beasts.

but, once again i'll be buying both games anyways

kinigitt
I think I'm finally starting to understand Robin through his miscelaneous ramblings. What I think he means, is that the GT series has that certain, special, "je ne sais quois" stamp of irrefutable polish and quality. It just FEELS rock solid, from the menus to the replays to the car models. Simply put, it has a style all it's own, that can never be properly imitated. Forza is gonna have a tough time trying to find it's own identity when compared to GT's pedigree.

That is basically what I was trying to say......but I don't think at the spur of the moment it was phrazed very well......Basically what you said is correct.....GT has this X factor that Mircosoft wont be able to claim overnight.

Im glad that some of you have now finally decoded what I was trying to say! :lol:

Robin

erahk64
They have not said anything about it yet.
This is Microsoft's first driving/racing simulation game for XBOX. Maybe they will release one when Forza is released since they make/made force feedback wheels for PC.

Currently there isn't one, and more importantly, the Xbox doesn't have any drivers for it. Did you hear that right? Yes you did. Which explains why there's no such wheel out there, and why multi-platform games that support FFB in the PS2 and PC versions of their game don't support it on the Xbox.

With GTR2003 apparently being developed for the Xbox, I can't believe it will stay that way, but if it does then by God, what are they thinking?

Arwin
Currently there isn't one, and more importantly, the Xbox doesn't have any drivers for it. Did you hear that right? Yes you did. Which explains why there's no such wheel out there, and why multi-platform games that support FFB in the PS2 and PC versions of their game don't support it on the Xbox.

With GTR2003 apparently being developed for the Xbox, I can't believe it will stay that way, but if it does then by God, what are they thinking?

I assume you mean that the software to handle force feedback wheels is missing.

erahk64
I assume it is software drivers.

as opposed to?

anyways, there was a preiview of forza (maybe from e3? tho think it was a bit later) somewhere and the setup they had at the show lacked FFB.. not looking good

MadduckUK
as opposed to?

anyways, there was a preiview of forza (maybe from e3? tho think it was a bit later) somewhere and the setup they had at the show lacked FFB.. not looking good

We have some electronics we call hardware drivers where I work so I wanted to check.

Yes, I meant software drivers of course. I'm assuming that the special version of DirectX that the Xbox is running doesn't support it.

Well then it becomes simple doesn't it? Downloadable content via xbox live, and for the poor souls without it, an install disc with the game, probably available by calling such and such a number and requesting it (probably a postage fee as well).

kinigitt
Well then it becomes simple doesn't it? Downloadable content via xbox live, and for the poor souls without it, an install disc with the game, probably available by calling such and such a number and requesting it (probably a postage fee as well).

I think I read somewhere that most of the OS, including DirectX, is on the game disc.
Then they can use improved and optimized versions of the OS for new games.

Now we just need solid proof that somebody is going to release a good FF wheel on Xbox. Personally, I don't think it's a nessessity, but people apparently go ga-ga over that buzzword.

kinigitt
Now we just need solid proof that somebody is going to release a good FF wheel on Xbox. Personally, I don't think it's a nessessity, but people apparently go ga-ga over that buzzword.

Well the problem see is that once you've tried it, it's hard to go back. I've been using a FFB wheel since 2001 ... They've been around for the PC a few years longer than that. But the Xbox still has to catch up.

kinigitt

There has been some rumours that a new force feedback wheel with some new
unique feature(s) will be released for XBOX.
Then it's logical not to show the wheel to keep those features secret to Sony.
And if it's true it could be the reason there is no force feedback wheel since it would probably take some time to develop those features and Microsoft probably
doesn't want several FF wheels with different features (it would confuse customers and developers would have to do more work).

But it is just rumours.

NO WAY is Forza going to be better than GT4. I can't believe people think it will be better. A lot of people says it looks nice. But from the pictures that I saw it looks a lot worse than GT4. I also doubt that the driving physics of the game will be realistic. I think that it is just a game trying to copy GT4 that will not succeed in any way

davenguyen
NO WAY is Forza going to be better than GT4. I can't believe people think it will be better. A lot of people says it looks nice. But from the pictures that I saw it looks a lot worse than GT4. I also doubt that the driving physics of the game will be realistic. I think that it is just a game trying to copy GT4 that will not succeed in any way
:lol: Yep it'll look pretty, but driving physics would suck compared to GT4.

You guys are insane. Physics is the one area Forza will be superior in. Every preview and hands on has declared Forza the winner in terms of physics reproduction.

They just don't know if the overall package will match. According to the developers Forza is on par with GP legends. GP legends is far above GT3/4 in terms of physics. Why did they mention GP legends? It was the only game they could think of that might have an equally advanced physics engine.

98cobra
:lol: Yep it'll look pretty, but driving physics would suck compared to GT4.
Yep, and in one of their presentation vids, it said some of the driving is unrealistic and trying it in real life would be dangerous :lol: Then gt4's cars will be able to get very realistic track times on real tracks. The track times will be 2 to 5 sec off, that's sheer realism.

I really don't know how people can say that games like grand prix legends is sooo realistic, that it's far and above everything else EVER, have you ever driven any of those cars on a track? NO. So I don't know if we're looking for "sheer realism" here, just something that reproduces it realistically enough so that it produces a fun experience with each different car on each different track. The fact that it comes so close to real life is just a huge bonus for us in GT. As far as we know, it could be unrealistic as hell, but still fun. Right?

EDIT: I don't mean as unrealistic as the NFSU stuff. Just that even if Forza isn't as good as GT in physics, or vise versa, wouldn't they BOTH be really fun games still?

About the IGN preview:
"This is one of the most accurate physics models we have ever seen in a racing game, even beating out GT."

"Controlling Forza using the steering wheel controller just doesn't feel as accurate. "

"The more experienced driver, such as our own Tyrone Rodriguez, will opt to turn the driving assists off--bringing the simulation element alive."

"After crashing into walls for so long, we felt that we should end our time with Forza at E3."

http://cars.ign.com/articles/516/516867p1.html
"It might not oust GT4 from that coveted spot--not when Polyphony is already working on its seventh racer--but if all goes well this could become the Microsoft equivalent."

"GT4: Quite possibly the most advanced physic engine of any console racer"

"GT4: Steering with the Logitech 900-degree wheel is perfect."

-- Tyrone Rodriguez

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/515/515694p1.html
http://cars.ign.com/articles/519/519206p2.html

cobragt
Yep, and in one of their presentation vids, it said some of the driving is unrealistic and trying it in real life would be dangerous :lol: Then gt4's cars will be able to get very realistic track times on real tracks. The track times will be 2 to 5 sec off, that's sheer realism.

As live4speed said before, every game can be made to have realistic tracktimes. :)

Edit:

Yep, and in one of their presentation vids, it said some of the driving is unrealistic and trying it in real life would be dangerous

Were you talking about Forza or GT4?

TriplePlay
I really don't know how people can say that games like grand prix legends is sooo realistic, that it's far and above everything else EVER, have you ever driven any of those cars on a track? NO. So I don't know if we're looking for "sheer realism" here, just something that reproduces it realistically enough so that it produces a fun experience with each different car on each different track. The fact that it comes so close to real life is just a huge bonus for us in GT. As far as we know, it could be unrealistic as hell, but still fun. Right?

EDIT: I don't mean as unrealistic as the NFSU stuff. Just that even if Forza isn't as good as GT in physics, or vise versa, wouldn't they BOTH be really fun games still?

If you're not looking for sheer realism don't call it the REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR! :)

Back