gt3 drifting vs gt4 drifting?

well i am a very good drifter on gt3 which i think is way more realistic but maybe thats just cuz i suck at gt4 i dunno. i can hit pretty much every single turn in that whole game everytime and down the straightaways i can slide the tail back and forth at 100+ mph but i have noticed you cant do half the **** in gt4 that you can do in gt3. im pretty sure sliding the tail back and forth at even 60+ in gt4 is impossible. seems i can slide it one way then no matter what i do i will slam into the wall the second time and i havent ever seen it done in any of the drifting vids here. it also seems gt4 needs feint drifting a whole lot more than gt3. now my gt4 car isnt nearly as good as my gt3 car which is 470 hp updated s13 (96' 240 fastback).

i really think gt3 is a lot more realistic when it comes to sliding but i love gt4 weight shifting. you can really notice it and if you cant your blind as hell. maybe im wrong but thats what im trying to find out by posting this. all of the gt4 drift videos dont even come close to impressing me because i dont think its possible to do a lot of the things you can do in gt3 on gt4 even though its possible in real life... feel free to flame me all you want or w/e i just wanna know what others think.

for those who have no idea what im talking about im planning on buying one of those video record video card thingys to record some gt3 vids to show you guys but i have no idea what to buy. i really dont wanna spend more than $100 on it. can anyone tell me what card i should get for decent quality videos under $100? thx a lot.

lemme add this too - i bought the df pro wheel today and i was tryin it out on gt3 (pisses me off the 900 degrees dont work on gt3) and ive already gotten really good at steering one handed. i was hitting every turn one handed shifting with the other. i really shouldnt be able to drift damn near perfectly on every turn in gt3 one handed and then not be able to hit 1 turn on gt4 with both hands.. im really disappointed with this game but ill keep practicing and maybe itll prove me wrong but i really doubt it.

i agree physics arnt as good as gt3 u cant pull heli's and circle drags down the strip ( circle drags are where ur in an awd short wheel base car i.e wrx and u do circle down the straight cuz it allways moves u forwards like in real life ) so yeh im cut bout that and most people will say rah rah rah it's suppose to be racing not spinning ur frikkin tyres.
END of rant

skypoweredS13
im pretty sure sliding the tail back and forth at even 60+ in gt4 is impossible.

GT4 I feel is much better than GT3 for drifting, you can't run ridiculous setups and expect to be able to drift well like GT3. You need to apply more realistic settings, and take into account even more resistance when you swing.

Don't think it's possible eh? Manji

welcome to the forums, seems you've been introduced to the swear filter.....

I would tend to disagree with the majority of your post - though your thoughts do seem to be a very common conclusion of new drifters making the switch from gt3 to gt4. You're not alone, and its been discussed before (but I give you credit for writing with decent grammar 👍 )

it is quite possible to drift down the straights, I guess you havent seen it b/c its simply not a popular style among those who have released vids thus far. But i will tell you it is definitely possible. It comes down to careful and precise inputs, and a little bit of skill and practice. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have some talent, so just give it a bit of time. The biggest thing you will have to adapt to is how much to countersteer. Its a new physics engine, so there is some learning curve involved with this.
cars do respond and drive more realistically in GT4, imo - dont use GT3 as any reference point to test this by. The speeds in that game were pretty exagerated. I dont know about you...but I'd be scared as hell to swerve down a straight in excess of 150km/h.

feint isnt necessary to initiate drift, but it does work very well. A properly set car will lift off easily (might need to fiddle with dampers), perform a braking induced drifts, yada yada.... you can still do it all. (donuts being the exception, but this is well documented and we dont need to bring that back into the spotlight)

anyways, this is hardly a new topic, but i felt inclined to reply in a less hostile and more helpful way to this thread since you clearly put some time and consideration into your post - as opposed to just making a blunt and rather ingorant assumption. Let this be an example to other new members. 👍
It doesnt hurt to use the search button if you have any future inquiries, and remember to read the stickies.

btw - if you havent done so yet, check the drift reference in my signature - there's some vids available there demonstrating how it is possible to initiate drifts by methods other than feint (albeit that the brake example is pretty sketchy).
Enjoy your stay!

oh, on a sidenote, if you are thus far unimpressed by the current gt4 vids (and yes, i will admit there are many subpar ones by very 'green' members floating around), go check out a few of TRi's - namely the one he titled 'Destructive Driving'. Come back and honestly tell me that it failed to make any sort of impression on you. I would say that mine isnt bad, but I'm a bit biased in this regard and really is not comparable to TRi's work.... :sly:

damn that vid is ****in nice. thats exactly what i needed to see thx =o maybe i need to tune my car. in gt3 all i changed was ride height, brake balance, and of course tcs and asb or w/e theyre called and i could drift with pretty much every car i tried from a rx7 to the cobra stang. but thats exactly what i wanted to see thx a lot. who was that btw?

hi i think its alot easier when you use a controller rather then a steering wheel, i watch the vid but it got to be the controller, im drifting whit a steeringwheel, you need to do more steering then whit a controller.

peace

well im really gettin the hang of it now. took some getting used to the 900 degree wheel sicne i just got it tonight. i love being able to toss the wheel back and forth thru turns unliek the gay 180 degree wheel i used to use. and its really amazing how much funner and stupid little ****ty shift knob can make a game lol.

but id still like to know more about the video record cards. im guessing i can just go get one at staples but i have no idea what to get. like i said i dont wanna spend over $100 but i want some decent quality vids too. can anyone help me with this?

GT4 IS POO THE ONLY REASON I BOUGHT IT WAS TO DO DONUTS...BUT YOU CAN'T DO THEM SO I SOLD IT......BTW that was all sarcasm....no one can honestly say that they only play GT4 to do donuts...although it makes the game just a little more unrealistic its not a big thing, who finds doing donuts fun anyway when you can drift!

Anyone to complain about donuts in GT4 should be shot. This is a racing simulator, not NFS Underground.

On topic: I didn't really get into drifting on GT3. Allthough I was aware of the concept, I wasn't of the depth and fullfillment it provided.

Ah the usual GT4 sucks because i cant drift!!!!! rant :lol:

Well you need lots more skills in GT4 to be able to drift well compared to GT3. GT3 was way easier to drift reasonably well that it was to race fast, and in GT4 i feel that drifting is just as hard as nailing a fast lap. You really need to know how to control your car, and the limits of it. You need lots more timing and precise steering inputs as well. In GT3 you just smack the brake and turn in, and it slides it was very easy to obtain momentum and weight shifting played a very minor role, GT4 however has changed a lot, I find in order to drift well you need to be a half decent racer who understands weight shifting braking and steering techniques.

enough of my rant,

I'm not the best GT4 drifter but i like to think I not too bad :P and if you would like to see a Div1 WRS "gripper" have a stab at drifting just check out my sig :sly:.

skypoweredS13
lemme add this too - i bought the df pro wheel today and i was tryin it out on gt3 (pisses me off the 900 degrees dont work on gt3) and ive already gotten really good at steering one handed. i was hitting every turn one handed shifting with the other. i really shouldnt be able to drift damn near perfectly on every turn in gt3 one handed and then not be able to hit 1 turn on gt4 with both hands.. im really disappointed with this game but ill keep practicing and maybe itll prove me wrong but i really doubt it.

You've now convinced me that GT3 is FAAARRR more realistic than GT4. I think you just said what makes GT4 more realistic over GT3, so thank you cause that spares a lot of typing. I don't think I've ever seen somebeody, in real life, drift an ENTIRE COURSE with ONE HAND!!

I also think that EVENTUALLY drifting becomes a lot easier with the DFP, it only needs much more practice before you get those results; if you can do basic drifts with the DFP after a lot of practicing, you have much more capability to improve your drifts rather than with the DS2, where it's just tapping. And tapping on the arrows or tapping on that analog thing can't really be improved that much.

But GT4 is complicated enough so that you can have MUCH more of things you can do wrong compared to GT3. Example is me, I couldn't drift FR cars whatsoever about 4 weeks ago, and I did something with the steering wheel options wich made it a lot easier. I found that out myself just by trying, cause how can someone on this forum find out that I'm doing THAT wrong. I think it depends on when YOU find out what YOUR doing wrong, cause for us it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to tell:indiff: Sorry.

well i dunno if anyone has drifted an entire course with one hand but i have this one vid in particular of this crazy guy in a 350z fish tailin downhill at 80+ with his hand out the window the whole time. he also hits the next turn perfectly still holding his hand out the window =x its amazing. there are tons of other vids of people doing single drifts one handed but i really doubt anyone would hold their hand out the window for an entire race even tho they might be able to do it not counting using the other hand to shift when needed.

GT3 is fun when you just wanna have some fun on the side, but hands down GT4 rules all. I don't see the point where you would want to be drifting in a stright, but yes it is a style that some drivers may have, so i do don't have anything agents them. All i have to say is the more challenges this game can dish out at us, the more i love the game.

Thanx guys, you've pretty much said it all.

I really wish people would put some effort into drifting before posting "GT4 isn't as good as Gt3 for drifting"

Oh well.

ya well ive got it down good now and i agree... drifting in gt4 is a lot funner. i just wish i was a good at gt4 as i was at gt3 but ill get there.. as for drifting down straights... i dont really consider it a style its just fun to be able to do. on gt3 i can turn tracks like deep forest raceway into one long drift. its really fun =p i LOVE the 900 degree radius tho omg i love it. i love being able to just toss the wheel to drift but it always so damn hard to straighten it out.. is that normal? like its almost impossible to turn the wheel back. it tightens up really hard and screws me most of the time. =[

I might be flamed against for saying this but... The fact that you can't do donuts doesn't say anything to you guys? Maybe the physics of the car isn't that realistic? Who knows. I just want them to be able to intergrate as much as they can. I don't do donuts but I keep wondering to myself if that affects the so-claim true simulation GT4 advertised. I have mix feelings about this but bottom line is this beats any other simulation game out there so this is as good as it gets.

I find it much more difficult carrying momentum in underpowered cars than it should be.

This could be due to the economy tires being too grippy for the weight of the car.

I dunno.

It's just impossible for me to drift that huge downhill hairpin after the bridge on Autumn Ring with the S13 on Econo N1 tires.

Despite being down hill, the car slows down too soon for me to exit the corner in a drift.

You might say, "ohh well go faster," but any faster and my line ends with the car on it's way into the dirt.

The only cure I can think of is more weight or more power, but I'm trying to accomplish something with the car in stock form.

It's literally making me punch myself in the head.

I've done over 100 laps on this one course today (yesterday) and I still can't get it.

You gotta be like right on the edge of the rumble strip and stay there, but doing that becomes extremely difficult because the gradient of the downhill changes and you have to accomidate that.

Such a f---ing pain.

I was hoping to have this video done by now..

skypoweredS13
gt3 is still fun but gt4 is a lot more of a challenge to me and gt3 can only be 180 degree mode which is really boring and gay. i love 900 degree too much.

You can use 900 degree in GT3. Just press select+R3+right paddle.

Although it doesn't seem to work too well in GT3 with 900... control feels weird.

Back