(click on image for larger sizes)

ModNation Racers

SUMMARY
  • Developer______: United Front Games
  • Publisher______: Sony
  • Rating_________: E (Everyone)
  • Genre__________: UGC Racing Game
  • Game Engine____: ?
  • Gameplay Modes_: Single Player, Offline Multi-player (2-4) Online Multi-player (2-12)
  • SIXAXIS Control: ?
  • PS Eye Support_: ?
  • Picture Format_: ?
  • Audio Format___: ?
  • Demo___________: Yes
  • Release Dates
    • EUR = May 21, 2010
    • USA = May 25, 2010

LINKS

DESCRIPTION

Kart Racing for a New Generation!

Grab the keys to the latest “PLAY, CREATE, & SHARE” title available on the PlayStation®3! ModNation™ Racers is a next generation kart racer that empowers the player to personalize their entire game. Shoot, boost & drift your way to the finish line both offline and online, then create your own racing experiences with the same tools used by the development team. Express yourself by creating your own Mod character. Build your own quirky kart or design an imaginative track with deep, yet easy to use creative tools. Once you are finished, share it with the rest of the world or access unlimited amounts of user generated ModNation content on the PlayStation®Network. There is no end to the karting fun!

KEY FEATURES
  • RACE!
    • Full Single player storyline with over 25 outrageous tracks.
    • Explosive Weaponry and Power Ups.
    • Dynamic Physics for realistic Kart handling.
    • 2-4 Player Split Screen Multiplayer Action & Up to 12 Player Online Races.

• CREATE
    • Design your own track, character, and kart.
    • Deep, yet easy to access creative tools.
    • Thousands of customization options.

• Share all of your creations with the community.
    • Browse an unlimited number of community creations.
    • Access unlimited user generated content to play, rate, remix and race!

Last edited:
I've been looking forward to this since I heard about it over a year ago.

But I played the PSP demo and am a little sketchy on it now, I'll be waiting for a PS3 demo before I buy.

But I played the PSP demo and am a little sketchy on it now, I'll be waiting for a PS3 demo before I buy.

Sounds like they dropped the ball with the PSP version, the PS3 version is supposedly way better,

I also pre-ordered mine yesterday.

The PS3 Demo should hit the PSN store today.

Im not overly excited about this game, but i will give the Demo a try, and if its fun i may buy it.

I really enjoyed the beta, so I'll pick it up as soon as it's available. I'd quite like it if my local EB Games have it on sale a day early, like they did with the GTA Episodes. I'm a little disappointed that it's releasing so close to Red Dead Redemption though, I'll have to get that later.

I think this might be the first PS3 game I'm really excited for. I've always loved Mario Kart and the one for the Wii just doesn't do it for me, so this will be a great filler for that gap. I also really like the amount of customising you can do with the game. I just hope the track creator isn't wonky like the LittleBigPlanet level creator, that really ruined the game for me...OK a lot of things about LittleBigPlanet ruined the game for me, but that's another story.

I just hope the track creator isn't wonky like the LittleBigPlanet level creator
The track creator in the beta was brilliant, extremely easy to figure out and not as time consuming as the LittleBigPlanet level creator.

The track creator in the beta was brilliant, extremely easy to figure out and not as time consuming as the LittleBigPlanet level creator.

That's good to hear! With the LBP level creator I always thought it would be so much better if I could use a keyboard and mouse. Maybe I'll swing by GameStop tonight and pre-order it.

That's good to hear! With the LBP level creator I always thought it would be so much better if I could use a keyboard and mouse. Maybe I'll swing by GameStop tonight and pre-order it.
The track creator for ModNationRacers basically has you just drive where you want the track to be. So, if you can drive in the game you can lay track.

Unless you have a very specific layout in mind it shouldn't be time consuming to get a basic track laid out. The time consumption will likely come from decorating and adding power-ups, shortcuts, etc. It has been a while since the beta, but if I recall the power ups could be randomly placed with the push of a button though.

LBP relied on your level working within the constraints of the game's physics as you built it and so precision was key (hence mouse and keyboard would have helped) and I often found myself standing close to my screen to be sure everything went as expected. With MNR the largest physics problem you will find will likely be when test running your track. If something doesn't drive the way you like at that point you can go back and redo that section.

One nice feature it had in the beta and PSP demo was that you could select "Complete Track" and it would connect from your last paved section to where you started automatically.

Wheel support for ps3?? anyone know??
After the beta I can't imagine a proper wheel with this game. Maybe a Mario Kart kind of setup, but I felt that was still too awkward.

Plus, where do you map all the necessary controls such as jump, double jump, drift, fire weapon, drop weapon, shield, etc?

Looking forward to this.

Thinking about making real-world tracks on it and putting them on PSN for people to download.
(Nurburgring first probs)

Looking forward to this.

Thinking about making real-world tracks on it and putting them on PSN for people to download.

I'm guessing you won't be able to do a track that big. But some smaller tracks you could probably make.

I also was close to getting the game today, it was on the shelve but the when the guy tried to scan it it wouldn't let him.

I'm guessing you won't be able to do a track that big. But some smaller tracks you could probably make.

Yeah Im worried about the size for tracks like that, but Im hoping I can scale it down enough without it being rubbish.

I also was close to getting the game today, it was on the shelve but the when the guy tried to scan it it wouldn't let him.

Theres a shop near me that sells games a few days before release.
But I dont shop there, one of them kind of shops where they think they know everything, I seriously think they would tell you a Duke Nukem Forever release date if you asked..

After the beta I can't imagine a proper wheel with this game. Maybe a Mario Kart kind of setup, but I felt that was still too awkward.

Plus, where do you map all the necessary controls such as jump, double jump, drift, fire weapon, drop weapon, shield, etc?

Well I've got a fanatec wheel and its got tons of buttons... and the g27 wheel has 6 buttons also. So I think they can work with that right???
G25 sry guys.

Well I've got a fanatec wheel and its got tons of buttons... and the g27 wheel has 6 buttons also. So I think they can work with that right???
G25 sry guys.
Its possible, but would it be good? I have a DFP and I can't imagine trying to use it with any kart racer. Kart racer controls are twitchy and wouldn't work well with a good wheel, in my opinion.

Could you imagine playing Mario Kart with your Fanatec or G25?

You might also want to consider doing a pre-order, as they have several different promotions with different bonus DLC:

4607934310_914b202fc7_o.jpg

I decided to pre-order with Amazon as not only was it only $46, but you get both the Ratchet and the Clank Kart & Mods. 👍

In addition, in that same announcement they said:

On top of this, every pre-order will also be getting an additional BONUS Mystery Mod and Kart package that include not just a special Mod and Kart, but additional accessories that you can use to make your own creations!

4435254513_e2598a68ef.jpg
4435254495_6f36b71f18.jpg

4436029042_7a1e2e542a.jpg
4436029004_5ab33c33ef.jpg

Four possibilities in total, and just like a vinyl figure you buy in stores, you won’t know which one you get until you download it and see for yourself. Wondering what they could be? We will reveal them soon enough! Just look for a future post right here on the Blog. :)

Here are the mystery mods revealed:

4557810035_e775776529.jpg
4557809963_c9da4dc30e.jpg

4557810005_ea87a43221.jpg
4558440464_72d374aa39.jpg

4557807439_def473d8c3.jpg
4558437006_e940bdd943.jpg

4557809047_fd01c9c937.jpg
4557809931_ed30303020.jpg

In addition to all this, there is another bonus for those that pre-order the game:

4557810331_b0af8d3acb_o.jpg

Apparently there is a limited supply of these, but I'm not sure how limited it is. Here is the exact quote regarding this additional promo:

On May 25th, look out for specially stickered copies of ModNation Racers for PS3!

4558441112_aed286ecc9_m.jpg

Inside those copies you will get a PSN voucher good for the Sackboy Mod and his sweet Cardboard kart. Early pre-ordered copies will come with a packed-in Sackboy voucher. This offer is valid only while supplies last, so you’ve gotta be quick!

4558435784_c81c657e45_o.jpg

I actually did have it pre-ordered but canceled it once I saw Target had it(which didn't work). I have re pre-ordered it though.

Also, all the cases at Target had the Sackboy sticker so I think all of the first run will probably have it.

Last edited:
OK, turns out there is another bonus DLC as well:

4585313906_461d148d0b_o.jpg

4585313874_942921ff6f_o.jpg

In anticipation for our ModNation Racers release on May 25th, and to celebrate ModNation May, we are going to drop some free ModNation DLC before we even launch the game! So what DLC are we hooking you up with?

I’d like to introduce you to Air Raid!

Air Raid is a sweet Mod that drives an even sweeter Fighter Plane Kart. If you’re lucky enough to get a voucher for this character, you don’t just get to play as Air Raid, but you can get all the accessories that come with him to create your own “Ace” driver and slick Air Fighter-styled kart.

So the big question is, “How do I get a voucher, Chuck?”

We will be giving away a bunch of voucher codes in many different ways, and we will let you know which ones right here on the PlayStation.Blog.

The first site that is hooking you up is our friends at GameSpot! They are planning on doing two code drops, with the first one being on May 10th. They have a limited quantity, so be sure to get in there before they run out.

4585313812_9c5b1f6ce2_o.jpg

4584687845_7651ea33bd_o.jpg

Looking forward to this.

I was thinking exactly what you were, but yes, nurburgring is a bit too big, and technical that I would be scared of not making it accurate. But, I was thinking Fuji speedway F/GT, Its a bit more simple, I cant wait to make it!

I was thinking exactly what you were, but yes, nurburgring is a bit too big, and technical that I would be scared of not making it accurate. But, I was thinking Fuji speedway F/GT, Its a bit more simple, I cant wait to make it!

You might be right actualy, Might try Top Gear test track first then, nice easy short one :)

Any Opinions? [didn't really want to start a thread]
Hey, I really like little big planet, And I understand the whole level sharing thing very well.. Cause you can make multiple game types on it (Eg. Platforming, racing, survival, etc), But does anyone think Modnation is actually gona be worth the full price purchase? Taking that, although it has a track editor, and will defenitely have alot of tracks uploaded, Don't you think however, that maybe it might get boring, cause you can only really make racing levels?

*(I know it may sound dumb, but Ive played Halo 3 and farcry as well as LBP, and the community levels have always had diversity in many different category of games.. How do you think they can incorporate/create something truly creative with the track editor, other than a flat out circuit race? today in the demo I tried making a huge ramp, and it didn't really turn out well, the elevation doesn't go steep enough for it to really work, I was looking foreward to maybe an "X games" kind of level, or something with jumps or something, but I don't think it can really happen.. I was also kind of dissapointed that you couldn't make a "Sprint" type race, there all circuits, maybe even a drag strip would be cool...)

Thanks!

I just tryed the Demo, and boy im glad i did not buy this game.

I wasent expecting to much, but i had some vague hope that it had appeled to me, but really this type of game is just not my cup of tea.

Has anyone checked out the ModNation space in Home yet?

4559251516_b8467c7c1f_o.jpg

Buckle your seat belts, Home-people! ModNation Racers — the upcoming kart racing extravaganza that allows you near-endless options in terms of designing and customizing your own characters, vehicles, and tracks — is barreling into PlayStation Home’s Media and Events space this week. Packed with interactive content, including the ModSpot Challenge game (and some truly awesome rewards), this special event space will only be live for a limited time. Be sure to log in to PlayStation Home this Thursday, April 29th, and check out this exclusive event before it disappears from the Navigator forever.

A couple weeks ago, I played the ModSpot Challenge game and won the Mod mannequin that they showed a pic of in the announcement:

4559251350_c286f4ff8b_o.jpg

However, it said "rewards", so has anyone won anything else besides the 'Modequin'?

I'd go check, but sadly my PS3 is being repaired at the moment.

Back