• ModNation Racers •

I'm going to recreate the entire nurburgring, i already have it planned out.

Not very likely.

From what I have heard so far (from the lucky Europeans who already have it) there is not nearly enough space/track to allow for such as lengthy track. Even half of The Ring is too much for MNR.

;)

You could always do the Ring's GP circuit.

Now you're talking. 👍

I made a quick homage to Richard Burns Rally, yesterday (Demo). Rally track (mostly dirt), with rally themed surroundings (tents, parts trucks, banners, etc...), and topped it off with a Richard Burns character (as much as I could with the tools in the demo)

Amazing fun, this track editor. Every time I make a track, I get 5 more ideas for other tracks. Addicting it is...

....and it's out today!

;)

Secondly, the racing feels unfair at some times.

I've never liked Kart racing games because of all the "power-ups", but I can also see it from the other side, and that power-up just add even more strategy. So that winning isn't just based on how quickly you can navigate the course, but requires some real strategy.

That, and many of the power-ups add a lot to the fun factor of the game, as they often result in some pretty amusing results.

That said, one thing I am looking forward to with this game is being able to create courses without power-ups and short cuts for the times when I just want to have it come down to a battle between driver skills, and nothing more... which also begs the question... can you turn off the rubber-band effect for both the AI and multi-player races?

I have yet to see a kart style racing game that doesn't use rubber-band aids for any and all cars that have fallen behind... which is far worse than power-ups in terms of rewarding players who not only have better driving skills, but even better strategy regarding power-ups.

Only if you scale it down to about 1/4 scale, which may certainly be possible, and could be quite fun. 👍

It really will depend on which Nürburgring course you plan to recreate:
  • 17.6 miles = Gesamtstrecke (Whole Course)
  • 14.2 miles = Nordschleife (Northern Loop)
  • 4.8 miles = Südschleife (Southern Loop)
  • 1.4 miles = Zielschleife (Finish Loop)
  • 2.8 miles = Grand Prix Course (original)
  • 3.2 miles = Grand Prix Course (modern)
And the maximum length possible with MNR. Then divide the actual real world track length by the max track length allowed in MNR and you'll have the scale you'll need to follow to make it in MNR. 👍

When you get it done, be sure to let us know so we can go play it!

Speaking of replicating famous tracks in MNR, GamesRadar has already started recreating famous tracks... but not from the real world, but rather from other racing games:

Famous game circuits recreated in ModNation Racers

So far they have made courses from Daytona USA, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, and Mario Kart 64.

That said, one thing I am looking forward to with this game is being able to create courses without power-ups and short cuts for the times when I just want to have it come down to a battle between driver skills, and nothing more... which also begs the question... can you turn off the rubber-band effect for both the AI and multi-player races?

I have yet to see a kart style racing game that doesn't use rubber-band aids for any and all cars that have fallen behind... which is far worse than power-ups in terms of rewarding players who not only have better driving skills, but even better strategy regarding power-ups.
From the options in both the demo and beta it looks like you can have what they labeled a "straight race." Whether that removes a rubber band effect, I am not sure, but the description mentioned no power ups.

Unfortunately, by scaling down the track, you would also have to scale down the size/sweep of the corners. It's very doubtful any kind of Nurburgring track (besides the GP course) will be made. I can, however, see people making parts of the Ring, and just looping them back. So, you could conceivably keep running your favorite part of the Nurburgring lap after lap.

Speaking of replicating famous tracks in MNR, GamesRadar has already started recreating famous tracks... but not from the real world, but rather from other racing games:

Famous game circuits recreated in ModNation Racers

So far they have made courses from Daytona USA, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, and Mario Kart 64.

Saw those a few days back. To be honest, I'm less than impressed. Honestly, I think the MNR Trial Mountain is much more impressive/accurate. I did see someone had made a ghost town track from Mario Kart 64. I'll see if i can find it.

EDIT: Here it is...

Not a bad effort, in my opinion.

;)

Anyone know how Amazon does the pre-order codes?

They send them out via email after they ship the game. They sent my code yesterday. If they already shipped your copy and you didn't get an email message titled "Your Bonus for Ordering "ModNation Racers" at Amazon.com" then you might want to check to see if it got accidentally filtered to your spam folder. If not, you might want to contact Amazon.

They send them out via email after they ship the game. They sent my code yesterday. If they already shipped your copy and you didn't get an email message titled "Your Bonus for Ordering "ModNation Racers" at Amazon.com" then you might want to check to see if it got accidentally filtered to your spam folder. If not, you might want to contact Amazon.

Yeah, it got sent to my spam folder.

This releases today?

I've built a replica of my local track in the demo the last couple days. Seems to be going smoothly. :)

Unfortunately, by scaling down the track, you would also have to scale down the size/sweep of the corners. It's very doubtful any kind of Nurburgring track (besides the GP course) will be made.

By scale I didn't mean exact. I'm sure it can be done, just that obviously some of the corners are going to have to be combined or even removed as it get's scaled down, but it can be done well enough for it to be easily recognized as being a scaled down version of the Nürburgring.

I guess we shall just have to wait and see what people come up with. 👍

By scale I didn't mean exact. I'm sure it can be done, just that obviously some of the corners are going to have to be combined or even removed as it get's scaled down, but it can be done well enough for it to be easily recognized as being a scaled down version of the Nürburgring.

I guess we shall just have to wait and see what people come up with. 👍

I don't think you realize just how little track is given. My best mate just picked it up today. There's no way any kind of scaled down version of The Ring is possible. As I said before, parts of it are, but there just isn't any way to get anything resembling the full track. You can make a track that is "Nurburg-like" (have a few saved on the HDD), but without more track (and a larger area), it just isn't possible to make it accurate enough to be recognizable as "The Ring". With over 147 corners, you'd have to cut 100 corners or more to have it fit the area, and not go over your track allocation.

I definitely gave it the Ol' College try though. I was just as anxious as some of you to create the legendary track in MNR. It just ends up looking like a similar track, instead of a representation of the real thing.

However, many other real world tracks are possible. Like Monaco (Friend made a pretty accurate representation), Laguna Seca, Silverstone, Suzuka, Infineon, Fuji, etc...

I imagine in the coming weeks we are going to see loads of Gran Turismo Original tracks popping up, as well. I would love a go at Grand Valley Speedway. 👍

;)

I got a $50 Best Buy gift card so I went ahead and bought it. It's cool enough but good lord the loading times are awful!

Having a blast with the little time I've played it.

Sockboydrift.jpg

Although I don't think flames and cardboard are a good combo.

uhh Loading .... loading..

I was thinking I know this isn't a real sim racer, but due to the popularity and the ability to design tracks etc. Can we start maybe a racing series?

So is the loading before the race is still as bad as the demo?
I'm planning to pick this up, looks like it will be fun.

Hm, cant wait for someone to recreate Motor Sport Land. No not the GT4 version, but the GT2 version. That WAS essentially a cart track. Ok Both would be fine with me. Now lets get my PS3 fixed........

I was thinking I know this isn't a real sim racer, but due to the popularity and the ability to design tracks etc. Can we start maybe a racing series?

I'd be in, could be rather fun.

HN7
So is the loading before the race is still as bad as the demo?
I'm planning to pick this up, looks like it will be fun.

In some cases it seems even worse.:nervous:

Anyone know if this can be fixed via patch?

Edit: I really wish the photomode would have a little more depth. I realize it's not meant to be as deep as GT/Forza type photomodes, but a little more options than positioning would make it 10X funner.

I really hope this game doesn't get on my nerves. I'm at the race where you have to beat Drillbit and no matter how fast I complete the circuit he always beats me which is lame.

Yeah I've tried that already, as others have said, no way can you recreate the full circuit in one go. My first attempt was reasonable, somewhat to scale, it felt great, the straights were about right in proportion to the corners, but I had only managed to get to just after Adenauer Forst before I was approx 80% of my usable track. I then tried scaling the corners and cutting the straights down, this time I got past Bergwerk before I was at approx 80% but this time it didn't feel so much like Nurburgring. Its just too big of a track.

I have now tried copying Bahrain F1 Circuit. I attempted the 2010 version of the track, but only got about 75% around the track before I ran out of my allocation. I have now got a fully operational F1 2009 version of the track, and it looks, at least from the sky, fairly accurate. I've used 100% of my allocation and it looks pretty good. Missing the pitlane unfortunately, but it gives some indication that the game will put down a fairly accurate track within about 6km of length.

Still on the fence about picking this one up.

I have been playing the demo, and sometimes I like it, others I dont. I have never really been a big fan of racing games with the power ups all over the place, and guns. I am more into just the normal racing style games weather it be SIM or Arcade.

I was extremely excited about this, but after their Online Entitlement charge for the PSP game I am considering boycotting the franchise altogether.

I was extremely excited about this, but after their Online Entitlement charge for the PSP game I am considering boycotting the franchise altogether.

It's your loss...

Picked it up today. Absolutely fantastic game. Challenging Career Mode as well.

;)

I bought it yesterday and it's pretty good. One of the few problems is I can never find enough people to do an XP race.

I bought it yesterday and it's pretty good. One of the few problems is I can never find enough people to do an XP race.

Same here, you would think the opposite would be a problem. My guess is that people are still trying to get stuff unlocked and making things before hoping online.

Same here, you would think the opposite would be a problem. My guess is that people are still trying to get stuff unlocked and making things before hoping online.

Same thing with a lot of games, like LittleBigPlanet. When it's new most people seem to focus first on single player, getting used to the controls, collecting prizes, etc. Then all of a sudden you see a big spike in online play.

I suspect this is true for most games, with the exception of games that only have online play of course.

Ive uploaded my first track to the online collection its a pretty nice re-creation of Tsukuba. Small but nice track.

Sorry Delphic for not getting back to you but can you believe it ive only today got a chance to play now and not for long either.

Currently making a monster of a track, using all available space for track, I have also used all the turbo pads I could use.
ModNationRacers_1.jpg

Pic was taken prior to adding anything, still a WIP.

Side Note: I hope GT5's photomode is setup like this where you just save it directly to the HDD instead of uploading it.

Back