• ModNation Racers •

I just tryed the Demo, and boy im glad i did not buy this game.

I wasent expecting to much, but i had some vague hope that it had appeled to me, but really this type of game is just not my cup of tea.

What did you think you downloaded, the Halo Reach beta? There was no surprise to what I played, its what they told us what it was back at E3 09'.

I thought it was pretty good too. Customization is fun, racing is a bit twitchy to start with but fun once you start putting all the boosting+shields+jumps+shortcuts+weapons together.

And the track creator...

Oh my god, the track creator...

I love the demo, I made a guy(lizard with an afro), than made a couple tracks and finally did a race. Racing was a blast, as stated above it will take some getting used to. I'm really impressed with the customization, obviously I couldn't see all of what was there but it seems it will be a blast making cars, tracks and mods(I think that's what the racers are called). I also can see people recreating some real life tracks and making them a little more "fun". I tried making Laguna Seca, but wound up shifting into something else that doesn't even resemble it in the slightest:lol:, I also made a roller coaster type track that is a blast to drive on.

Any idea when exactly we can import stuff from the demo into the full game?

Just got my copy. Got myself the God of War pack. No LBP sticker on the case so I'm assuming no sackboy for me. None of the copies at any stores had it though so it might be a US exclusive.

I made a cool track without even trying, it was so cool. The driving takes some getting used to. Undecided on the full game right away as I have so many new games, Demon's Soul, Red Dead Redemption, 3D Dot game heros, GTA Episodes and an even longer list of older games to play.

One thing I will note, the steering is really, really twitchy. It's OK if you have gamer thumbs, but I suspect it's going to be tough on the casual market. My GF isn't a non-gamer, but she's pretty much limited to DS stuff and Little Big Planet, and she couldn't keep it straight to save herself.

One thing I will note, the steering is really, really twitchy. It's OK if you have gamer thumbs, but I suspect it's going to be tough on the casual market. My GF isn't a non-gamer, but she's pretty much limited to DS stuff and Little Big Planet, and she couldn't keep it straight to save herself.
It could definitely benefit from a sensitivity setting for some, but I learned in the beta that you can get used to it.

Lovin' the demo. The lack of parts and features definitely makes me want to buy the full game, but a bit frustrating at the same time. Not being able to use your character or kart on track (which I didn't find out until I had spent 2 hours on my character) was such a let down. So, I just made a quick car, a few quick tracks... and I must say, the game really came alive when I first test drove my 15 minute (auto populated) track. As others have said, the steering takes some getting used to. However, as a sim-racing enthusiast, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. It makes the game a bit more challenging, and dare I say it, even makes it feel somewhat "sim-like", at least in comparison with other kart titles. The drift/boost mechanic is very well done, and with a little practice can be used to practically link full courses at high speed.

Here's a Gran Turismo favorite created in MNR (although I imagine more accurate versions will crop up upon release):

Has anyone tried using a wheel yet? I'm sure it's rubbish (as it is with most Kart titles). Yet, I can't help but want to try. If they added a hood/bumper cam it just might be doable. Although, I doubt one could hope for FFB.

;)

Just got the game and looked at the modification side of things and this is one crazy game, limitless possibilities of modding you Kart character and tracks, stunning, it seriously needs some time to get to all the features.

I've noticed the number 2 and 3 racers popping up on the main arena where everyone is, its Mario and Luigi lol.

As you play through the game it becomes obvious that the modification parts, stickers, skins, colours, materials and just modification options is stunning and as you race and progress you unlock even more, in the download section you have the option to organize your search for tracks, characters & Kart's but just in the most rated section alone you have the ability to download 1200 user created Kart's, Tracks & Characters!!!!!

I'm still waiting for this to arrive, I can see mself spending a bit of time with the track editor. I think it will struggle to take me away from Red Dead Redemption for a few days even after it gets here though.

I think my question might have been misconstrued a bit.

In the Demo there is a very limited amount of track given (until you run out), and a small area to lay the track.

In the full game, are you allowed to use more track (i.e. longer tracks) and/or are you given larger areas to work with?

;)

I've been looking forward to this since I first heard about it, Is it worth the buy? 👍

In the Demo there is a very limited amount of track given (until you run out), and a small area to lay the track.

In the full game, are you allowed to use more track (i.e. longer tracks) and/or are you given larger areas to work with?

;)

No problems I'm a little slow :)

I will have a look at this once I manage to get more time, I'm just waiting for the PS3 and TV to become un occupied.

No problems I'm a little slow :)

I will have a look at this once I manage to get more time, I'm just waiting for the PS3 and TV to become un occupied.

No worries. I didn't word it very well, either.

;)

Downloaded the demo (took long enough to do that!) and played around with it. Track creation is really straight forward, the cart customisation is a bit weak as is the driver customisation. I hope there is DLC for this and it's not stupidly expensive.

The driving mechanics are decent enough, not as wonky as I thought they were going to be.

I'm going to get the game, I'm just unsure if I'm going to buy it new or wait 2 weeks and get it used from GameStop.

Downloaded the demo (took long enough to do that!) and played around with it. Track creation is really straight forward, the cart customisation is a bit weak as is the driver customisation. I hope there is DLC for this and it's not stupidly expensive.

The driving mechanics are decent enough, not as wonky as I thought they were going to be.

I'm going to get the game, I'm just unsure if I'm going to buy it new or wait 2 weeks and get it used from GameStop.

Who says you'll find it used? ;)

;)
I think the video you posted before answers that question, Trial Mountain isn't a short track, it's not particualrly long but it's not short.

From what I've gathered, and I might not be completely correct with this, but I understand that there are a lot more parts to choose from in the full game for the karts and drivers than in the demo. That's what I've gathered from other peoples comments and reviews etc. I know you earn quite a lot more parts as you progress through the game, I don't think any of thoes parts you have to unlock would be in the demo.

Last edited:
I think the video you posted before answers that question, Trial Mountain isn't a short track, it's not particualrly long but it's not short.

Nope. I've made much longer tracks in the Demo.

Yet, it still feels like I should be able to do more in the full game. I hope I'm right.

;)

:dunce: Reading back through the posts here, I realised there was a demo available to download, which I have, and I have to say, MNR is everything I thought it would be, and a little bit more too!

The level of customisation is amazing, and I can see that there is scope for some really unique looking characters/cars/tracks. I particularly liked the track editor, it took me about 5 minutes flat to create a nice big track with heaps of variety.

The racing was superb too, with the cars handling very well indeed. I think the key to mastering MNR, is to nail the drift. It isin't too hard to get the hang of drifting though, and by the end of the first race, I was more or less drifting around every corner. I also liked how responsive the drifting was - it was really easy to string drifting combinations in either direction.

This is a top game, and worthy of a purchase. I am usually pretty critical of most games, but this is one of those rare ones that leaves me smiling (and wanting more)! :D

Oh, and it has a photomode too! 👍

I bought this game last friday and played it alot this weekend. It's amazing to see all the creations that have allready been made. The mods like spiderman and Mario / Luigi look really cool. The racing takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it its pretty good. The 2 downsides (for me) are the loadingtimes, up to 1 minute for a race.
Secondly, the racing feels unfair at some times.

The 2 downsides (for me) are the loadingtimes, up to 1 minute for a race.

This seems to be the one thing that most reviewers didn't like about the game. Hopefully they can fix this via patch or something.

Secondly, the racing feels unfair at some times.

This problem has plagued kart racers since the beginning. The only real fix would be to remove the powerups, but that would ruin the point of it being a kart racer.

I should be getting the game sometime around 11am in the mail.

Anyone know how Amazon does the pre-order codes?

I wonder if they deleted things from the beta. I made a Lemming which I didn't think was too shabby for the lack of things available. The game is on my radar, but I have way too many on that list and not enough time to play so I'm just not buying or I'll doom myself.

This problem has plagued kart racers since the beginning. The only real fix would be to remove the powerups, but that would ruin the point of it being a kart racer.

Ahhh but... MNR has the safety shield! Used appropriately, I believe it could be a perfect counter to some of the most heinous attacks. 👍

This game does provide another solution. When you are drifting and doing tricks you fill up a meter which can be used for different purposes. One is a turbo boost, and the other one is a shield. So when you are driving in front you have to keep drifting to keep your meter full so you can block an attack.
But the meter is completely drained by using the shield once. And I have to say.., your 11 opponents hit you HARD. Rockets and lightning at level 3 blow you away every time. When this happens ten times in a row in the same race, I do feel it's a bit unfair.
But I see you're getting your copy today, so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it.

Back