• ModNation Racers •

But Trophies and leaderboards give you nothing for the gameplay.

I was recently mocked for the lack of trophies I had, at first I thought nothing of it, but I have recently had a change of heart about trophies. I do believe they give you something for the gameplay.

Trophies are an extension of the basic gameplay of the game. Most people can finish a game nowadays, they are pretty damn easy to complete. But, if you want to say, "I completed the game and did X, Y, Z", then having a chocker trophy cabinet, is proof enough, and can set you apart from the rest of the pack.

I certainly don't give a hoot if someone that finishes a game at the lowest difficulty gets the same stuff as I, while I have finished it at the highest level. The only thing that matters to me is my performance, I don't care about anyone elses.

I do! If I am going to invest money, time and effort learning a game inside out, then I would like to think that my effort puts me in a different league to the casual gamers who are only interested in completing a game.

That part of me also feels that the Internet generation is hurting a developer's ability to design their game as they want. The game comes out and then the Internet comes alive with complaints about controls or difficulties and no explanation that the developer intended that will satisfy. Eventually, we get a patch "fixing" these things. This is probably the fifth game I have seen given a difficulty patch.

I beleived that we are on the backward side of a downward trend. In the old days games were hard, and were respected for being hard. If you completed a super difficult game, then you rightly deserved the kudos for doing so. Nowadays though, it seems that even the most difficult settings on some games are just too easy.

I recently played a few levels of Drakes 2 at a friends house, to see what all the hype was about. Becuase I like to think of myself as a hardcore gamer, I bumped the difficulty up to the highest setting to see if I could handle it. I must have played the game for an hour or more, and only died once - when I misjudged a jump across a roof! Don't get me wrong, Drakes 2 is a fantastic game, but I had a nagging doubt then, as now, that the game was not made for real gamers.

Equally, the COD series of games 'had' a legendary reputation for the single player game being very difficult on the highest setting. COD4 was super tough, COD5:WAW is nails (I still haven't completed that on the hardest setting). But MW2, on veteran was almost too easy, and I finished it with little or no trouble whatsoever. In fact, I was a little disappointed that I had managed to complete MW2, when in previous iterations, I had struggled like hell. 👍

I also think that you can draw parallels between the difficulty settings in games and the rise in popularity of gaming in general. Gaming is in rude health, but if you look at the numbers, it is the casual gamers that are driving the industry now, and not those of us that were there from the start. As loyal, or as dedicated as we are, we do not write the checks any more, it is the casual gamer, who is only interested in playing a game and baulks at the prospect of a proper 'old school' challenge. 👍

What does it matter if someone finishes a game on hard or easy? I can remember growing up how if you couldn't finish a game you went on to something else. That was cool. But my thing is now I don't want to deal with super difficult AI or stupid computer tricks that give an impression of difficulty. I have been progressing fairly well in MNR but sometimes I get so frustrated with some of the challenges I just turn the game off. I don't buy games to bee frustrate that's why I play games to relieve frustration not to cause frustration. Now the simple answer is not buy games that will frustrate and I generally do that. When I bought this I wasn't expecting that I mainly bought for the creation stuff.

You forgot this, which I also already mentioned:

Where is the satisfaction in unlocking things for the track editor on a hard difficulty when anyone can do it on an easier one? And where is the motivation? And as slims mentioned, progressing in the game itself isn't that hard actually, just unlocking all the stuff can be quite difficult and I think that's good and I hope this won't change with the new difficulty level.
I did not forget anything and I read your posts. I'm merely stating that I don't need any more motivation/satisfaction other than knowing that I accomplished a certain task at a certain difficulty.

I respect your different opinion, but I just would like to understand why the satisfaction of knowing you accomplished something at a certain difficulty is not enough? Because IMO, if you won the game/unlocked everything at maximum difficulty, and someone else won the game/unlocked everything at the easiest difficulty, you're still the better player, things being locked or unlocked for the other player will not change that.

Buying the game does not give you an automatic right to share the same rewards as someone who has taken the time and effort to learn the game. Unless, you have take the same time and effort to learn the game. 👍

If you are 16 and you buy a car you don't get any doors, a hood or a trunk lid because you are inexperienced. If you have been driving for 10 years and you buy the exact same car you get everything on it. Those who have less experience should be barred from the full product until they learn how to drive the car properly, right?

Winning IS fun, but only when there is satisfaction in knowing that it was worthwhile doing in the first place! If everyone can win, then it is not worth winning!

That's not a universal truth, you should probably quit preaching it like it is. I like to win at games no matter what, I use cheat codes all the time. If I'm having fun, what does it matter?

If you are 16 and you buy a car you don't get any doors, a hood or a trunk lid because you are inexperienced. If you have been driving for 10 years and you buy the exact same car you get everything on it. Those who have less experience should be barred from the full product until they learn how to drive the car properly, right?

That is a poor analogy.

A better analogy would be that a sixteen year old driver should not be able to drive as powerful a car, as someone who has been driving for ten years. This is of course a widely held view, and is reflected in the insurance premiums for young drivers.

Which brings me back to the point I was making in the first place - someone who invests time and effort into learning a game should reap the rewards for that effort. They should not have their effort diminished by someone who just wants to play the game. Or, using your analogy as an example: Mature drivers should not have to pay higher insurance premiums to cover the losses incurred by reckless young drivers. You talk about hobbling features, I am talking about hobbling rewards, there is a difference. Rewards should be for those that have earned them, and no one else!

That's not a universal truth, you should probably quit preaching it like it is. I like to win at games no matter what, I use cheat codes all the time. If I'm having fun, what does it matter?

I know it is not a universal truth, I am just talking form my own point of view. You are of course free to have all the fun you like, you should not be rewarded the same as someone who has put the effort into learn a game though.

39624_146075672085714_100000498475635_373366_4590014_n.jpg

38924_146075705419044_100000498475635_373367_2744805_n.jpg

Man that was tons of work, it's not perfect but okay I think, here is my real life template:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/3/3f/Renault_alpine_blau.JPG

Thanks! Should show up when you search for "Alpine Renault".

EDIT:
A fitting driver to my Alpine Renault A110 Kart:
40424_146217132071568_100000498475635_373922_4478928_n.jpg

35975_146217165404898_100000498475635_373923_1061169_n.jpg

Last edited:
Updating now. There seem to have been complaints about the game freezing while trying to run XP races though. :nervous:

I have to finish up the career challenges and try my hand at some more customization. So far I've only made a handful of mods and karts. Been mainly spending my time doing online races. I'm now rank 13 with 2141 xp.

I also still have only one Mod online, two Karts and three tracks.
Found some guys who downloaded a bit of my stuff, not too many though. 8/

Anyway, already started the next project, a Kart based on another real racecar. :)

i am getting this game through gamefly in the next day or so. From the posts i am looking forward to it. Looks like a fun racer. I love drifting so i will try to drift as much of the tracks as i can. Looks like Mario Kart in which drifting gives you a boost. :)👍

👍 Will download and rate later (by the way, again, please rate my stuff after downloading, you can be honest, but I would like to see at least some stars ;)).

I got the game yesterday through gamefly and so far am having a blast. Really fun drift racing. The AI can be ruthless when you're in the lead, on the last lap and in first place. Those devastator missiles tend to ruin a good race. :scared:

I haven't spent much time customizing yet as i was enjoying racing too much.

My only complaint so far is for a game that had to install on the hard-drive, the load times are a bit long.

While in the Modnation lobby i was challenged by this level 28 guy, so i go for it anyways. Turns out he created this track with (1) big left to a small passage, and on each side of the passage are boost pads leading you into a wall (away from the passage). After that small passage there was 1 more turn to the finish line. Seemed like a cheap way for him to get some wins/victories. :grumpy:

While in the Modnation lobby i was challenged by this level 28 guy, so i go for it anyways. Turns out he created this track with (1) big left to a small passage, and on each side of the passage are boost pads leading you into a wall (away from the passage). After that small passage there was 1 more turn to the finish line. Seemed like a cheap way for him to get some wins/victories. :grumpy:

I've had that happen several times too, it really annoys me along with people who 'download for download' just to get create XP and not appreciate the kart/mod/track for what it is as well.

The AI can be ruthless when you're in the lead, on the last lap and in first place. Those devastator missiles tend to ruin a good race.

The best thing to do especially on the last couple of laps is gather as much boost as you can but save it for shielding and use the boost pads for speed instead. This has saved me on lots of occasions.👍

I've had that happen several times too, it really annoys me along with people who 'download for download' just to get create XP and not appreciate the kart/mod/track for what it is as well.
Tell me about it. Seriously annoying because I really want to know what people think of my work.

Tell me about it. Seriously annoying because I really want to know what people think of my work.
Well being a rally fan I downloaded your Renault and was racing with it quite a bit. I was sure I rated it too but if not I'll rate it tonight. But yeah I understand where you're coming from since I've been finding XP race lobbies where people just play short tracks like Alpine Drop and Mod Circuit over and over and over to get quick XP. 👎

New track, Uturnington (yes, I suck at picking names):
39829_147859468574001_100000498475635_384006_4350094_n.jpg

39324_147859548573993_100000498475635_384007_3717339_n.jpg

39908_147859625240652_100000498475635_384008_2711601_n.jpg

40186_147859718573976_100000498475635_384009_653485_n.jpg

39215_147859838573964_100000498475635_384011_8119350_n.jpg

40685_147859971907284_100000498475635_384012_2071179_n.jpg

40375_147860108573937_100000498475635_384014_6440780_n.jpg

38623_147860148573933_100000498475635_384015_6292336_n.jpg

40168_147860308573917_100000498475635_384017_1875572_n.jpg

Actually I am really pleased with my work this time.
By the way, you can also search for PSN IDs with the "text search" in MNR.

I've attempted to remake a couple Gran Turismo tracks, Driving Park Motorland and Citta di Aria.

Track: Driving Park Motorland
PSN: kimikosangel (My GFs account, she wanted the 'Create a Track' trophy)
I'm pretty pleased with this remake.

Track: Citta di Aria
PSN: darweezee (My account)
Not so pleased with the track inconsistencies in terms of length on specific sections, but please check it out and leave suggestions.

I'll give them a try soon. I finally finished up the career mode last night - completed all the challenges and collected all the tokens. 👍 Will definitely be spending more time in the creation station and online racing now.

EDIT: I just had a race against Winnie the Pooh, Rocky the squirrel and the Burger King. Epic.

Last edited:
Back