• Daihatsu Midget

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Fiat 500R

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Subaru 360

• Ford Ka

• Any Kei car not mentioned (please write your answer)

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Any car not mentioned (again, share w/us your thoughts).

Votes: 14 14.0%

• Total voters
Toronado
Yeah, but it doesn't really have any real world applications unless you actually live in France.

Still, it's one of those things. I always wonder why in the game there are discrephancies like that: why a VW with a smaller engine is stronger than the 5-cylinder, or why so many Japanese performance cars are quoted at 276 hp but test higher once you buy them. It's cool that (in some instances) the game is based on real-life oddities.

Just ignore me, i'm a car nut!

MacRoadster
Talking about taxes... maybe you'll like to know this then...

Where i live, in Portugal, taxes on cars are so high that it's cheaper to go buy them in other European countries... and many manufacturers don't send their top models here... :(
We don't have Corvettes, Vipers, Supras, Skylines, NSX, etc... To have one only importing it from somewhere else...

As an example, there's the Corvette Coupe on Chevrolet website priced at $45895USD (37879Eur), a great car with 400hp. With that money here, i could buy a... Toyota MR2 with 140hp... :grumpy:

I think we're lucky to get TVRs, but a Tuscan S 4.0 with 390hp costs 117211Eur ($142188USD)... in USA could buy 3 Corvettes with that money...

Interesting isn't it?

It's interesting and it sucks too. Not that anyone really NEEDS to have cars like that, but it's nice to have the option. Hey I didn't know you live in Portugal.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Sor why so many Japanese performance cars are quoted at 276 hp but test higher once you buy them.
That's based on some real-life Japanese regulation or other. 276 is some sort of official limit. A web search should find some info. E.g. "japan 276 bhp".

The implication would be that some manufacturers manage to officially meet the requirements while actually providing a few more bhp.

MacRoadster
Yeah... I'm in a small European country on the other side of the Atlantic... :)
It's a nice country, but don't come here to buy a car... ;)

I lived in Germany when I was a kid for a year and the cool thing about Europe is y'all depend on bikes and mopeds way more than we Americans. I wish it was like that here...hell, with the way gas prices have risen this summer, maybe they will be.

Last edited:
The DB7 is just utterly crap, its as we english describe as complete boll*cks, its pants, whack, piss poor, simply the worst car ive ever driven on any game evr. I have more fun in the midget. God damn i hate aston martins

PregnantNproud
The DB7 is just utterly crap, its as we english describe as complete boll*cks, its pants, whack, piss poor, simply the worst car ive ever driven on any game evr. I have more fun in the midget. God damn i hate aston martins

LOl you're funny! I agree--in gran turismo, you never see an Aston Martin win any race whatsoever. It's like, isn't AM embarassed that their car is a loser in every single race?

Parnelli Bone
LOl you're funny! I agree--in gran turismo, you never see an Aston Martin win any race whatsoever. It's like, isn't AM embarassed that their car is a loser in every single race?

Lol, its too tail happy, the car has non existent grip, so acceleration is, well, abismall, oh man top speed suffers, i dont know why, its too heavy, damn its just really bad, the manu races for AM were not fun.

Biggest lemon for me was probably the Dodge Avenger ES. Dumped tons of money into it, had like 500 hp, and it wouldn't budge. I swear my Subaru 360 was faster.

I have major fun with Speed 12, not sure what everyone's complaining about. With 800+ HP going to the rear wheels, yes, it's going to be tail-happy and a major challenge to drive. But the thing flat out hauls ass, and the constant fishtailing keeps you on your toes.

The Lotus Europa was mentioned; I found that to be fun too. Decent speed and handling, though not supercar-class. Again, a bit tail-happy, but it's pretty controllable.

mplacki
Biggest lemon for me was probably the Dodge Avenger ES. Dumped tons of money into it, had like 500 hp, and it wouldn't budge.

Funny, I remember being disappointed by the Avenger, too. Not that I expected greatness from it, but I raced it long ago in the Luxury Sedan series and found it handled like a bear. I'm more impressed by the Intrepid, matter of fact.

Last edited:
mplacki
I have major fun with Speed 12, not sure what everyone's complaining about.
I like Speed 12... great power, great sound, great fun... :D

...and i like DB7s too, even if they're heavy... shhhhhh... just don't say it to anyone... :P

I've not tried any of the AMG cars in GT2 but the DB7 in GT was an OK car. I have it winning the spot races, and GT League up to the World Cup. It got a mixture of 1st & 2nd's on the Special Event 01 but mostly 5th's & 6th's on the Special Event 02. It had an Average Race Placing of 2.5 so it's in the middle group of 7 cars out of the 34 I raced discounting the 6 cars that won all 5 races they started.

does that make sence?

confactor-m12LM
with the lister storm, and speed 12 I disagree, because I can win the gt world championship with those, so it would be wrong to say they are lemon :P.
<>
I find it funny no one has mentioned the drag cars. They have got to be worse... The hk dragsters fr and 4wd both had horrible steering that no other car in the game can compete with, NOT even the chrysler phaeton...
Wait!!!
Those cars are for driving???!!!???
Hell, I drove one once, and decided that they were only in the game for selling so you could buy/modifiy other cars.:lol:

Yeah it makes sense, TMM.

Gil, someday I plan on trying out the poor Lister Storm just to see how bad it really is. I bet I can win some races with it just like anything else. The computer makes it look worse than it is I'll bet (same thing with the Jaguar XJ220).

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Gil, someday i plan on trying out the poor Lister Storm just to see how ‘bad’ it really is. I bet i can win some races with it just like anything else. The computer makes it look worse than it is i'll bet (same thing with the Jaguar XJ220).
The Lister Storm is a diamond in the rough; the AI can't use it for squat, but it's not a bad car once you put a race-mod on it. You'll never get the rear of the car to properly behave, but that's actually kind of fun. And the exhaust note of the V12 is one of the best sounds of the game.

My guess is that the AI doesn't mod it (no surprise there), as it can get 709hp, if I'm not mistaken. It will require a little tuning, too.

Give it a try...it's approved by me! :sly:

I was actually referring to the 'Drag Cars'.
The Speed 12 is crap. And believe me I have a soft spot in my heart for quite a lot of british cars. (I'm a closet Triumph-ophile)
The Lister Storm is not too bad of a car.
It is too heavy. But in all later editions of the game it is a farily competent car.
Heck I let "Bob" take mine out on the El Capitan enduro in GT4 all the time.
I don't really care how many miles are on it, and it wins easily in a short time.

The Speed 12 is one of my favorite cars in GT2. It takes a little getting used to but if you tune it right it becomes as chessy as the Escudo.

I could run faster laps in a race modified Speed 12 at Midfield raceway than I could in most GT car's, it was also the fastest FR car in the game on almost every track acording o that Gran turismo time's site's, I can't remember the name but it had all the records for tracks split by drive train type's and road or race car's and it hada seperate section for the Escudo. The Speed 12 is a car for pro's only, if you can't control it, you need pracitce, if you can control it, you'll be pulling off record lap's in no time. Certainly not a lemon.

I'd probably say the Dodge Avenger, I wouldn't say the Drag car's because they do what they're supposed to do, go fast in a straight line.

live4speed
I could run faster laps in a race modified Speed 12 at Midfield raceway than I could in most GT car's, it was also the fastest FR car in the game on almost every track acording o that Gran turismo time's site's, I can't remember the name but it had all the records for tracks split by drive train type's and road or race car's and it hada seperate section for the Escudo. The Speed 12 is a car for pro's only, if you can't control it, you need pracitce, if you can control it, you'll be pulling off record lap's in no time. Certainly not a lemon.

If you compare it to the Speed Six Racer that you win in one of the Enduros, the Speed 12 is quite fast, The Speed six racer has only 630 hP or so, and It will turn right a 1 minute flat at RR Valley. The only other car that I can do that with consistently, because it handles sooo well it the Nissan R-390 Road car.
The Speed-12 may be truly awesome. I've tuned it every way from Sunday. I've run some good times in it. But in GT2 it sucks, compared to GT3. I've not given it much attention in GT4 so I don't have any opinion, yet.

I also have to agree on the Phaeton (Mopar). It very much likes to swap ends, and is just a nightmare to drive. On the Plus side it is worth winning to sell.

Yeah that Phaeton is just awkward. It's got alot of power but you can't use it. In some races it'll get squashed because it has the speed but not the handling. In other races, it's too powerful and overqualifies with easy wins.

A good compromise is try racing it in the Event Generator. Believe it or not I actually won 4 out of 5 Expert races in a Phaeton. With clean driving, too. But at 2 laps apiece, those wins didn't come easy.

Last edited:
BMWteamPTG
my olds alero...$7200 and put over $10,000 into it in 3 years...its dead now

which car in GT2 do you think is the biggest lemon? There is no Olds at all in Gran Turismo 2.

Aston Martin DB-6.:ill: That car absolutey sucks. It is way too heavy for its horsepower, so it can't accelerate, and its hanling is even worse. I was racing with a friend of mine, I was using the DB-6, he was using an audi hatchback, he creamed me and it was the first time he had ever played the game.:grumpy: :ouch:

It's an old car, that's why it's not that fast. Your friend was probably in the S3 as well, a 4wd hatch that can keep up with Subaru Impreza's, hardly a slouch.

Aston Martin DB-6.:ill: That car absolutey sucks. It is way too heavy for its horsepower, so it can't accelerate, and its hanling is even worse. I was racing with a friend of mine, I was using the DB-6, he was using an audi hatchback, he creamed me and it was the first time he had ever played the game.:grumpy: :ouch:

The DB-6 has novelty factor and good starting power, but that's about it. I don't think it's too heavy (many modern sports cars weigh more, as a matter of fact) it just hasn't got the tires & suspension to match an Audi. Also, there's alot of weight towards the rear of the DB6, which is why it's always trying to get tail-happy, and you can't give it any NA or turbo upgrades!

hehehe. after reading all these the concensus so far is the DB7, and Phateon.

i played GT2 for 5 years STRAIGHT till i got GT4, and I've got a couple hints for y'all for controlling the beasts

leave the stock suspension on all mid engine cars and the phateon. i've gotten good results from my tuning of the phateon. managed to tame it, AND the yellowbird, now. try applying some of the things you've learned for settings from the newer games...like setting the antiskid for tail twitchies at 65, negative rear toe, and the trick from the ORIGINAL GT...stagger the tyres for more controll.

found a usefull tip for the likes of the Life and the other kei cars...racing hards give em gigantic dinnerplate sized wheels that give you better acceleration. as for the optis and the 360? if you've got a gameshark, hybrid the thing (try dropping the viper engine in a 360!), or use the ratio adjust I ran into to pop up the multiplier for the engine. the 360 does a LOT better with doubled full tune HP. also, some overpowered buggers like the ZZII race mod and the speed 12 need their power HALVED! i believe the HP adjuster is available ar Rog's website. (thank you VERY much)

cute tip: if you have a used or hidden car's hex number, slip it onto 801c3018 with a shark to get its full market value, and the ability to pick the color. you can also pick up non local market versions this way...IE, buying the VAUXHALL versions, instead of the opel ones. you can also change the second number of the hex serial starter (which usually goes by 18/58/98/d8) to a C or occasionally a D and get the race mod right there. example. the serial for the fiat Cinq sporting starts with a D...changing that to DD instead of D8 gives you the hidden pallet that the race modded cinqs use in the verses race for the model.

these all apply to the 1.0 error version. i've had mine so long, that my label is actually bleached!

Back