"Сold tyres"

• Thread starter kub_man
  • 19 comments
Its definitely a very noticeable thing in our 1.5hr Gr.4 endurance races. With the tire wear set to a normal wear cycle iike x2 or x3 depending on the track it takes almost a complete lap to bring them up to temperature.

But in Single player or custom races I really don't notice it at all.

Yeah anywhere from a few corners to half a lap in FIA races.

Also probably contributes to a lot of race start Turn 1 incidents.

I know its caught me off guard a few time after a tire change and you come out around others who haven't stopped. You go right back to racing them like you were before only to discover you have no grip. Most of the time it doesn't end well.

I know its caught me off guard a few time after a tire change and you come out around others who haven't stopped. You go right back to racing them like you were before only to discover you have no grip. Most of the time it doesn't end well.

Yup I see that a lot at Mount Panorama. Car comes out of the pit right behind me, insists that since he is on fresh tires he must immediately overtake in Griffen's bend, takes the inside, and drives into the wall. 9 out of 10 times.

Confirmed: After pitting as well as after the start, tires are colder. (pit effect seems a little less pronounced to me)
Complaint: NO WAY for the driver to know what is going on (and at what point tires have full potential)
No info on that at all.
Why they are not (correctly) using these tire icons in the HUD is an absolute mystery to me.

ADD-ON: The same goes for when you go off track (gravel or grass) You hear a sound indicating gravel from tires hitting car, but there is no way of knowing how it affects your grip. Maybe depends on race details, maybe never has an effect. Not figured this out yet.

Yeah anywhere from a few corners to half a lap in FIA races.

Also probably contributes to a lot of race start Turn 1 incidents.

Say it's not true!! We all know this is from dirty drivers and that's all. :dunce::dunce::dunce::dopey::dopey::dopey:

But seriously, I think that you've hit the nail on the head. Folks are practicing on hot tires, then start a race and are caught out.

Paid extra attention today. Seems like "after pits" tire performance is the same as "at race start".
The drop in grip only feels different / less strong / or even absent after pitting - because you come from used tires.
Any confirmations!?
This should at least be documented somewhere, if they forgot to show it in the HUD.
But that would amount to admitting a mistake... ;)

It definitely seems like they are cold at first.
Personally I wish they'd bring back the blue rectangles around the tire wear indicators that go away so you know exactly when their warmed up (especially on the MFD's like the GT3 M6 has).

Or dynamic color changing from blue/yellow/orange/red would be really cool.

Functioning TPMS on the MFD'S would be really cool too imo.

Personally I wish they'd bring back the blue rectangles around the tire wear indicators that go away so you know exactly when their warmed up
They never went. If you're driving with tyre wear on in the settings, there is an outline on each tyre to indicate temperature - blue indicates that they're not up to temperature.

Here's a situation from one of my races a while back.

Timestamped at 12:00

We'd all come out of the pits and about 4 or 5 of us managed to understeer off at the same corner. In my case probably due to a lack of talent but I'd say the rest was down to cold tyres.

I'm not sure about cold tires, but loss of grip after going off track is definitely a thing, at least when tire wear is on.

It was even mentioned in one of the updates, forgot which one.

I'm not a believer in this "cold tyre" theory.
It's never something I've experienced, or at least "blamed" as the reason why I've I've had a bad first lap, either from race start or pit lane.
To my mind, if it was actually true, it would be something I would continually experience, essentially without fail, every race/practise.
And it's something I almost never "experience", and nowhere near consistent enough for me.

I can tell you it takes the better part of 4 minutes sitting idly in pit lane before there is the slightest colour indication that the tyres are getting cold.

As for turn one incidents, it would seem to me that the better explanation is that people simply don't know where to brake.
For the majority of racers, every race start is a different grid position.
This means you approach the turn 1 braking point at continually varying speeds.
Essentially everyone has to guess when to start braking.

It isn't something you can really practise.
Some brake too early, causing accidents, and some brake too late, causing accidents.

This seems a far better reason as to why turn 1 can get ugly.
And ignoring that and blaming it on cold tyres instead seems a stretch to me.

ADD-ON: The same goes for when you go off track (gravel or grass) You hear a sound indicating gravel from tires hitting car, but there is no way of knowing how it affects your grip. Maybe depends on race details, maybe never has an effect. Not figured this out yet.

This in my opinion is much more noticeable than cold tires. I frequently forget to factor it in after accidentally cutting or running wide in a corner. Grass/gravel on the tires reduces grip of said tires strongly, but for a shorter time. Maybe a few hundred meters or so.

I also find that it leads a lot of drivers to crash/spin after rejoining from a crash/spin. Most of the time I think they attribute it to just being angry or out of the zone, but really they don't realize they have less grip.

The marbles have the same effect but less strong.

Last edited:
Back