Gran Turismo Sport End of Life Announced for January 31 2024

• Thread starter Famine
  • 357 comments
How is this not the case?
Fundamentally, because it isn't.
To save your game, you have to be connected to the game servers, and since those servers have been closed, you will no longer be able to, it's that simple.
Simple perhaps, but also wrong.

We've written two articles on this - both in this thread - and it's been mentioned several times. You might even have noticed if you played it yourself in the last three days...

Last edited:
How is this not the case? To save your game, you have to be connected to the game servers, and since those servers have been closed, you will no longer be able to, it's that simple.
1706809391102.png

How is this not the case? To save your game, you have to be connected to the game servers, and since those servers have been closed, you will no longer be able to, it's that simple.
Doubling down to be this confidently incorrect, instead of bothering to look at any of the multiple articles on this matter is pretty hilarious :lol: thanks for the laugh today.

update v1.69 is 72.33gb ... is that correct? that looks like the PS5 wants to redownload the whole game? No one else with this issue?

Last edited:
Let's see, are you sure it says that you can save your progress on the console's hard drive instead of online? Plus I've waited 6 years for this to come out. Is it really worth it, even if I have to wait another 6? years until ALL the updates are downloaded?
On the previous page of this thread

Last edited:
Let's see, are you sure it says that you can save your progress on the console's hard drive instead of online? Plus I've waited 6 years for this to come out. Is it really worth it, even if I have to wait another 6? years until ALL the updates are downloaded?
That screenshot I posted literally comes from the link I provided. It says it right there.

update v1.69 is 72.33gb ... is that correct? that looks like the PS5 wants to redownload the whole game? No one else with this issue?
Anyone? My PS5 is asking to clear space to download the update telling me the update is 72.33gb in size:

Edit: having made space, the system told me the update was indeed 172mb...weird

Last edited:
Anyone? My PS5 is asking to clear space to download the update telling me the update is 72.33gb in size
It's definitely doing the reinstall whole game thing, I don't think the final patch was more than 1gb even on PS4 IIRC.

What a interesting journey this game had,from a heavily criticized gameplay reveal, a kinda middling reception to the heavy support that changed the game so much it also changed the perception from people online.Those live events were great PR
I haven’t even realized that til now 😳 they were superb 🫡

I'm glad to see that GT Sport's single player offerings will remain available for those that wish to experience them and that progress in those modes can be saved normally, without the need for an online connection.

This has been enough to convince me to purchase Sport. But I have a question as a new player:

Am I looking at a long or difficult install process on the PS4? I've heard that new GT6 players on PS3 have to install updates individually, or else the game will crash and corrupt their data if they try to install them all at once.

Is that the case with GT Sport as well?

Or is the installation and update process the same as any other PS4 game? I appreciate any clarification on this topic.

Last edited:
Seeing all those greyed out icons is just heartbreaking man. It's like seeing a mansion that has been gutted and only the fixtures remain.

I know they communicated that we wouldn't be able to see other people's liveries anymore, but I was still holding out hope that at least we can save our own liveries locally. We can still save scapes so it should be the same system. It really doesn't make sense why the Livery Editor becomes unusable (especially as other people pointed out - AI cars in GT League still has their custom liveries). Also cars in garage revert back to normal livery EXCEPT those with race numbers and custom rims do not get those reverted. And since you can't enter livery editor there is NO WAY to reset them to default except buy a new car. Dumb oversight by PD.

For GT7, does this mean we will also lose all customizations when they pull the plug? Because currently you can't save a style unless you're connected to the internet. Livery is one thing but the customization in GT7 is more extensive. Will all widebody or engine swap cars be rendered undriveable? Will they be reverted to stock? Scary to think the hundreds of hours I spend tuning will be wasted just like that.

Also silly to wipe out our stats page. They could've removed all that community page stuff but left out our own offline stats intact.

Same deal with mileage exchange. Is it really that hard to code an offline patch that makes all items available permanently? We still get mileage XP for driving (even if we don't get the daily marathon bonus). Now it's all useless.

If they really want to go the extra mile they could code in a "LAN mode" to replace online. I know all the backend stuff is already there as that's what they use for the in-person finals. Maybe Nenkaai could reverse engineer this stuff in the future but it would be nice to have an official patch.

So kudos to PD for making the game workable offline (unlike Ubisoft with The Crew), but there's more that they could've done to preserve certain features of the game I feel. They had 2 years to prepare and it's well within their capabilities to sort this out. Video game preservation is a real thing, especially with Gran Turismo games as we can see people even today enjoying the PS1 era games. From GT Sport onwards, once PD decides to pull the plug that's it. These games will never be the same anymore.

so far no publisher dared to take a game offline without keeping the single player part. Ubisoft plans to do that with The Crew, but there are already people preparing a class action suit to set a precedent (https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-crew/servers-shutdown-lawsuit)

gt sport still has drm (physical disk required for the retail blu-ray version, license for digital version)
I hope he's successful with the lawsuit and can prevent game companies completely rendering always online games useless, but I'm not holding out much hope. A lot of mobile freemium games allow you to buy stuff with real money, but once the servers shutdown that's it. It's like nothing you ever owned or paid for matters.

At least if you bought the game on PC there may be an unofficial patch to make it work offline in the future. People managed to patch NFS World and keep playing it offline after the servers go down.

In any case, the push for always online and DRM is definitely a worrying trend. Anti cheat is good but it's also anti preservation. Most people just doesn't care about the past and move on to the next shiny thing, but I always liked the idea that you could replay any older game as long as you have a working copy and hardware to run it with. Going forward there's going to be less and less games where this is true.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that GT Sport's single player offerings will remain available for those that wish to experience them and that progress in those modes can be saved normally, without the need for an online connection.

This has been enough to convince me to purchase Sport. But I have a question as a new player:

Am I looking at a long or difficult install process on the PS4? I've heard that new GT6 players on PS3 have to install updates individually, or else the game will crash and corrupt their data if they try to install them all at once.

Is that the case with GT Sport as well?

Or is the installation and update process the same as any other PS4 game? I appreciate any clarification on this topic.
The install process is the same as any other PS4 game. It only took a couple hours on sub-par wifi when I reinstalled my disc version last weekend, so I imagine it would be faster than that with hardline connection.

I just purchased GT Sport.

I can confirm that any progress you make in the single player modes is indeed saved to the hard drive- you no longer need an Internet connection to save or make progress.

I am genuinely enjoying the game. It feels like a dream with my Logitech G29 + Shifter setup and I can't wait to uncover the rest of it's single player offerings.

I've started the Driving Tests and am delighted with the progression system there, but I'm especially looking forward to the GT League.

From what I've seen of that, it's exactly how I've always wanted the classic GT career mode to be presented in a modern context.

As a single player game, GT Sport gets a thumbs up from me👍. For the record, I've played GT1-4, but skipped the PS3 entries, so I'm genuinely speaking from experience.

Thanks to PD for removing the Internet connection requirement for the single player modes. Hopefully we can push harder to make this normal again.

I’ve started playing it again. There are lots of events I haven’t done since I was doing Blue Moon Bay and Le Mans events for credits for the 20 million cars and the exp. To get to level 50.

Back