◆ SNAIL [DriveTrain Challenge - DTC] Racing - Closed

• Thread starter jobyone
  • 6,327 comments
Hey guys, I really miss racing with you all, but I'm in a new band now and we practice on Tuesday and Thursday nights. If we ever get done early I'll try to pop in. Hope everything is going well!
Pics/links or it didn't happen. :D

@tezgm99 and @danfurey
If I could get your car class choices for Thursday by early tomorrow morning (like 6am EST) that would be awesome. Thanks.

Edit: And tell me which tires for the cars.

@Kgffy
Please let me know which tires you would like to run the 80's cars 370-410pp on. Thanks.

I won't be able to make it Thursday, but if you still want me to pick something, I can....hopefully figure something out before going to bed tonight.

I won't be able to make it Thursday, but if you still want me to pick something, I can....hopefully figure something out before going to bed tonight.
I have something in mind that we can use for this week. You will have to pick next time though.

Hey, this was probably most fun I had racing. I actually kept my car on the track! Whooo! Good times all around.

Thursday Night pick: Evo v STi!

For Tuesday nights can the winner restrict racecars, or restrict maybe a paticular car like a fast well known car as long there is similar cars in that pp range, Srry for so many ?, I'm still hav things to learn. Exsample someone restricts nsx type r, but their are similar mr cars in that pp range. Ok I'll shut up now those 3 torpedo Sierra Nevadas got to me lol

For Tuesday nights can the winner restrict racecars, or restrict maybe a paticular car like a fast well known car as long there is similar cars in that pp range, Srry for so many ?, I'm still hav things to learn. Exsample someone restricts nsx type r, but their are similar mr cars in that pp range. Ok I'll shut up now those 3 torpedo Sierra Nevadas got to me lol
I do not want to place restrictions on the Main DTC. It is what it is. That is not to say it can not evolve but one of the keys is it allows each person to choose their own lineup with only PP/Drivetrains being limited. Thursdays (assuming Ko agrees) or any other night we have an event can be more open.

Lets keep the ideas coming.

I do not want to place restrictions on the Main DTC. It is what it is. That is not to say it can not evolve but one of the keys is it allows each person to choose their own lineup with only PP/Drivetrains being limited. Thursdays (assuming Ko agrees) or any other night we have an event can be more open.

Lets keep the ideas coming.
"Downforce is for little girly men" - @fizzer

Ok boys and girls, it's a little delayed but here is Thursday's test night!

Thursday 6/5/14 10pm EST/7pm PST (Friend's only room via PSN - Koszak27)

Our first race is brought to us by @Kgffy after his win last Thursday with the following 80's 370-410pp cars (comfort soft tires) at the qualifying track of Spa:
upload_2014-6-4_14-16-21.png

The winner of this race will get to choose from the following three car groups.

Via @danfurey, we have the Evo vs. STi race (sports medium tires):
upload_2014-6-4_14-6-50.png

@kendawg has chosen the Miata/MX-5/Roadster cup (sports hard tires):
upload_2014-6-4_14-8-13.png

And finally, I decided to throw in a Ferrari Fest(sports soft tires):
upload_2014-6-4_14-16-56.png

The performance point limit for the race is 1765pp.

Example line-up:
Renault 5 Turbo '80 395pp
Mitsubishi Evo X GSR '07 471pp
Mazda MX-5 Miata SR-Limited '97 369pp
Ferrari California '08 530pp

@danfurey - please confirm that sports medium tires work for your Evo vs. STi choice
@kendawg - can we please use comfort softs on the Miatas? Ultimately up to you though.

Please send your PSN friend requests to Koszak27 ASAP.

See you on track tomorrow night!

Attachments

• upload_2014-6-4_14-5-13.png
    upload_2014-6-4_14-5-13.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2014-6-4_14-8-55.png
    upload_2014-6-4_14-8-55.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
downforce pffft.

I really enjoyed my first DTC night. My strategy hinged on winning the first race and getting first track choice, but that went out the window with an unfortunate meeting with the unforgiving walls of Cicuit di Roma ;)

I'm torn on the race car issue. One one hand the race vs street car battles at the same PP can be very interesting. My Louts Esprit on Rome vs Unleashed's BRZ GT300 car was quite the battle. He had me on the turns, but midway down the straights my HP and lower drag made serious time, so it was a good close fight.

Tire wear becomes an issue though, the lighter, downforcier race cars don't eat tires as much. My poor lotus became seriously unbalanced midway through the race with the left rear going away hence the wall incident.

Maybe race cars should get a slight handicap somehow. 5-10 PP penalty maybe like a race car adds a bit more than its actual PP to your total? Maybe they have to use 1 step harder tires (though that might be too much of a handicap)?

It's been so long ago that I hardly remember all the ideas we tried regarding cars with downforce.

They have so many advantages in so many situations over standard cars. Aero grip, light weight, tire wear and so on. For MOST racing situations the race car is going to win the battles. But for certain singular tracks with an abundance of straights the standard cars will prevail with lower drag being their only real advantage.

The heavier, high HP standard cars are just going to cook their tires so fast at these higher PP ranges that, unless you run at Sarthe or Daytona etc, it will be a no contest.

We went round and round with solutions to give slower drivers advantages and faster drivers disadvantages (tires and PP were the only tools to work with since we are tuning prohibited). But none of them really stuck...don't remember why each one failed to stick.

We briefly discussed last night after most of you left the idea of being able to have the option to eliminate race cars from certain nights of competition. It's not such a big deal at the lower PP ranges but when you go into the high 400s and up...the standard cars just can't compete most of the time. How often are you going to win at Suzuka driving the awesome Ford GT against 560PP race car? When will the very nice driving Ferrari California be competitive against a similar 530PP race car?

I very often select lineups with no race cars but when testing I find I am never going to win the night unless something strange happens. So I end up changing it around.

Again, at 470PP ish and below it's really a non issue, as I find the downforce cars don't have a major advantage.

I would definitely love to have nights where we can eliminate race cars...but that goes against the spirit of the DTC, which is run what you want. But I would be all for someone being able to win the chance to say yes or no to race cars for that week.

Barring that, I would have no problem making a gentleman's agreement with any drivers who would commit to run standard cars with me...at least I know I would have someone to race with when all the race cars pull away mid race when the tires on my fat Camaro or Mustang are shot ;)

Discuss ;)

Barring that, I would have no problem making a gentleman's agreement with any drivers who would commit to run standard cars with me...at least I know I would have someone to race with when all the race cars pull away mid race when the tires on my fat Camaro or Mustang are shot ;)

Discuss ;)

They cost less money too more often than not so I'm guessing koszak will like that :lol:

It also means using different cars instead of the usual selection, so I'd be in for that fact alone :)

I would happily do away with race cars and concepts:) I love streetcars. I am all for penalizing cars that outperform others at the same PP. As useful as the PP system is it is far from perfect. The difference from street vs race illustrates this. If the group wants to limit racecar use then that is fine. It just means we could setup a racecar night.

Perhaps we can discuss this on thursday since I should be there!

Maybe we could try a test where race cars get a -1 tire? Maybe some one could run some test laps on equal PP cars just for grins to see if it would bring a decent race car in line with a street car.

One of the goals of my Thursday test night was to eliminate this variance between race and street cars. By having a list of eligible cars it removes that separation from taking place.

With that being said, I think normal DTC Tuesdays should remain a pick your own car event. If you want to run street cars it is your choice, otherwise make room in the lineup for any race cars you can fit.

I think one potential middle of the road solution could be to limit a night to one or two race cars per person but whoever picks the PP for that night should specify that beforehand.

I would happily do away with race cars and concepts:) I love streetcars. I am all for penalizing cars that outperform others at the same PP. As useful as the PP system is it is far from perfect. The difference from street vs race illustrates this. If the group wants to limit racecar use then that is fine. It just means we could setup a racecar night.

Perhaps we can discuss this on thursday since I should be there!
The PP system became even less perfect for GT6 when it stopped using downforce in the equation. This was the reason so many race cars have lower PP values now.

At Grand Valley last night, poor @Kgffy had 5 and 6 tires left at 506pp in a Camaro SS '10 while my GT300 RX-7 was only 6 more PP.

And @jobyone, stop saying you "should" be there tomorrow. :sly:

The PP system became even less perfect for GT6 when it stopped using downforce in the equation. This was the reason so many race cars have lower PP values now.

At Grand Valley last night, poor @Kgffy had 5 and 6 tires left at 506pp in a Camaro SS '10 while my GT300 RX-7 was only 6 more PP.

And @jobyone, stop saying you "should" be there tomorrow. :sly:
Will:)

Yeah it's such a apples/oranges situation sometimes. For example...the Lutecia Trophy Race car at 472pp, while a really great and fun car, most often is not a match for the NSX cars at 470-475pp. Both are MR.

Lots of good ideas. Maybe the top three guys from the previous week aren't allowed to run race cars? So, while they are in charge of the next week's PP and Track choices, they can't run race cars ;) Oh the irony!

Oooh! Indy. Never been there that I recall. In any online series. Should be interesting! I will test some cars and let you know how much PP we need for next week.

As much as I hate to say it...we may to split the PP streams next week.

Last edited:
Oooh! Indy. Never been there that I recall. In any online series. Should be interesting! I will test some cars and let you know how much PP we need for next week.

As much as I hate to say it...we may to split the PP streams next week.

Slow cars could be fun to. With the drafting.

Yes...but if we go low I want to eliminate the NSX fest we had at Sarthe. So below 470 as a high. Maybe like 1700pp....

Should yield a high of 446 and a low of 404 on SH tires. Sounds good eh?

Ok boys and girls, it's a little delayed but here is Thursday's test night!

Thursday 6/5/14 10pm EST/7pm PST (Friend's only room via PSN - Koszak27)

Our first race is brought to us by @Kgffy after his win last Thursday with the following 80's 370-410pp cars (comfort soft tires) at the qualifying track of Spa:
View attachment 166179

The winner of this race will get to choose from the following three car groups.

Via @danfurey, we have the Evo vs. STi race (sports medium tires):
View attachment 166170

@kendawg has chosen the Miata/MX-5/Roadster cup (sports hard tires):
View attachment 166173

And finally, I decided to throw in a Ferrari Fest(sports soft tires):
View attachment 166180

The performance point limit for the race is 1765pp.

Example line-up:
Renault 5 Turbo '80 395pp
Mitsubishi Evo X GSR '07 471pp
Mazda MX-5 Miata SR-Limited '97 369pp
Ferrari California '08 530pp

@danfurey - please confirm that sports medium tires work for your Evo vs. STi choice
@kendawg - can we please use comfort softs on the Miatas? Ultimately up to you though.

Please send your PSN friend requests to Koszak27 ASAP.

See you on track tomorrow night!
Sport Mediums is good Koz!

Back