◆ SNAIL [DriveTrain Challenge - DTC] Racing - Closed

• Thread starter jobyone
  • 6,327 comments
Of course, the only reason I say that is because the last time we did Sarthe, the NSX was the fastest thing on the track by far. But now I see that the PP we ran at the time was like 460 avg...now it's nearly 500. So limiting NSX cars may not be as big a deal as I remembered.

Carry on...

Of course, the only reason I said that is because the last time we did Sarthe, the NSX was the fastest thing on the track by far. But now I see that the PP we ran at the time was like 460 avg...now it's nearly 500. So limiting NSX cars may not be as big a deal as I remembered.

Carry on...

So...rules committee...who decides (should they choose to decide) if certain types of cars are not allowed a particular week? I may try to choose my cars tonight but I'd like to know what is available.

@jobyone, @88GTA

The only concern I have is how it might limit car choices. For instance with Kens 1980 pic and saying streetcars only means there are no FF cars that can be chosen:(

Now if he did a split it could work.

So guys. I have been working on a revamp of the OP to make it as brief and hopefully as easy to understand as possible. Here is what I have come up with. Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

A SNAIL Sanctioned event - Open to all

Welcome to the DriveTrain Challenge (DTC). We are a tuning prohibited event that requires all participants to use four different drivetrains and uses the Performance Point system in Gran Turismo as a limiter on the nights racing.

Here is how it works.

Each week a PP Limit is chosen. This weeks PP limit can be found by clicking on the Calendar image above.

You must choose 4 cars that the total combined PP value does not exceed the limit for the event. Each car can only be used in one race. Additionally you must use 1 of each of the following drivetrains in your lineup:

FF- Front Engined/Front Wheel Drive
4WD - 4 Wheel Drive (any engine position)
FR - Front Engined/Rear Wheel Drive
MR/RR - Mid Engine(or Rear Engined)/Rear Wheel Drive

When Calculating the PP total the value is for a un-tuned, non power limited car with an oil change. This is what is referred to as the Known PP value for the car. The list of Known PP values can be found by clicking on the car image above.

The Event
Qualifying and the first race take place at a track chosen by last weeks runner up. This weeks qualifying track can be found by clicking on the Calendar image above.

The next three races will take place at tracks chosen by the winner of the previous race. The winner can pick from the eligible track list that can be found by clicking on the track image above. Additionally the list is broken up in to three groups. Each group can only have one track chosen from it in a nights event.

Thats it. I hope you come give it a try!

Last edited:
Did some testing. There is clearly a concept car that is way better than any other car. And it has a low pp. That's right the HSC '04. 3 to 4 seconds faster than anything I tested. So it will be a HSC race unless everyone agrees to band concept cars.

Did some testing. There is clearly a concept car that is way better than any other car. And it has a low pp. That's right the HSC '04. 3 to 4 seconds faster than anything I tested. So it will be a HSC race unless everyone agrees to band concept cars.
What do you think the pp of that car should be?

Only way to really know is to find a car (not a racing one either) that can match its times, joby.

Edit: time is matched by the Zonda C12 '00 at 526pp....the Zonda isn't as fast in a straight line but better through the corners. Trying to find something else now.

Last edited:
I have never, nor will I ever race the HSC.

I may end up driving the same car I drove the last time we were here :) Although I did find another car that was faster although a little less stable. Tough decisions....slightly more testing needed.

I found and there are some nice street cars that are fast. Between 509 and 518. But cannot run with the HSC at 498. So at a track like this there is only one logical choice. Like Joe said there are some cars that will have a faster top speed or a bit better handling. But you will be giving up alot of pp just to try to stay with it.

Ok how about this. If more than 2 hsc's show up there will be a 1 pp adjustment made to its pp going forward. If 5 show up its pp will be adjusted up by 3 etc. this will happen till it is no longer dominate. Feel free to nominate other cars that are dominate and I will create an adjusted PP list.

Only way to really know is to find a car (not a racing one either) that can match its times, joby.

Edit: time is matched by the Zonda C12 '00 at 526pp....the Zonda isn't as fast in a straight line but better through the corners. Trying to find something else now.
What time are you getting? Is the limit 518pp?

I tried my old NSX from last time and got 4:06 in a brief practice lap. Could probably shave a second off in hard core testing...but I won't ;)

What time are you getting? Is the limit 518pp?

I tried my old NSX from last time and got 4:06 in a brief practice lap. Could probably shave a second off in hard core testing...but I won't ;)

HSC is getting 3:57.2

ken
HSC is getting 3:57.2
Holy crap. That's ridiculous.

Last time we were there, times were in the 4:07-08s. Jeez...

Tested it briefly...I see what you mean. 200mph and it gets there faster than other cars get to 180.

Last edited:
Is the limit 518pp?

I believe the numbers are 470 -520 for this one. I only tested the Zonda as it wasn't a race car, had the same drivetrain layout as the HSC, and I already had one in my carlist :lol:

I may do the same as Joe and not use it since I threw a lineup together....besides, I've already won the night given 1980 is my year :sly:

Last edited:
I have updated the event details and adjusted the signup sheet. (it was in as 1960 not 1980) so the PP range is 470-520 as Tez said.

Also do you guys think the suggested revisions to the OP i posted earlier is easier to understand than the current OP?

Maybe add a one-liner about being docked points for every PP you're over the limit? That way people know you can go over, but you will be pinged for it at the end of the night.

Maybe add a one-liner about being docked points for every PP you're over the limit? That way people know you can go over, but you will be pinged for it at the end of the night.
I will do a more detailed explanation post that will deal with things like tire Regs, OLR and penalties for going over the PP limit. The Gear will link to that. I want the OP to be as simple as possible to encourage people to give it a try

Any DTC guys taking a break from the 4th celebrations. I am heading on line for a bit.

1472-6618-3716-3554-8809

Last edited:
@tezgm99

Testing today around 4pm: Tonight:
FF - Integra Type R RM '04 484pp
4WD - Evo VIII MR GSR '04 482pp
FR - C12 '03 506pp
RR - RUF RGT '00 506pp

Last edited:
TONIGHT!
Tuesday Race Night
(Event will take place in a friends only room)

7/8/2014 at 10:00 PM EST/7:00 pm PST

@JCsSoldier
@Rallywagon
@Starvsnr
@zeromisfit999
@Rolly21581
@JLBowler
@basswerks1
@GTP_unleashed
@photonrider
@cmbeal317
@racefan78
@DMacs13
@USERID_77a23
@Wolfsatz
@Kgffy
@danfurey
@bloodredsky
@carboneyes
@Michelin
@Schmiggz
@allyn27
@kendawg
@fizzer

This event will run with a combined PP of:
1980. All cars must be between 470pp and 520pp with sports soft tires.

The first two races will run with a combined PP of:
No split this week.

The second two races will run with a combined PP of:
No split this week.

Qualifying and the first race will take place at
La Sarthe 2009 (No Chicanes)

If you would like to participate in the next event please post in this thread that you would like to take part and which cars you will be running. We will add your name to the list. You can also add your name and car lineup to the:

Please send a PSN friend request by 9pm EST tonight to Ice_Warden in order to join the race lobby. Feel free to post any questions in this thread.

Latest Posts

Back