◆ SNAIL [GT1 Championship] Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started with jump start penalty. And I got to use RMS for 9 complete laps. I WENT FOR A TWO STOPPER which was the wrong move. On the second stop I didn't see the pit options board.....so I was stuck with RH tires and a full tank of digital gas.

My driving suffered cause I was upset.....should have known better to watch my speed into pit.

My replay does not show compound change for the race for most people?......I thought that problem was solved in GT5......and also the replay recorder stopped early before race finish. I do have replays from 2 years back almost 2 hrs long......???
although it saidrace replay finished the entire race was recorded

Although it said "race replay finished", the entire race was recorded.
FTFY

That race sucked. My car wanted to kill me. I made a couple adjustments that allowed me to hold more speed on the couple faster turns, but it created an incredible amount of lift off oversteer. It was fun, but not fast. However, I think I found my new drift set up for seasonals.

What was your decel at coach?

Decel?

EDIT:
I moved weight to the rear more, which I know would free up the car, but I was trying to even tire wear and help turn in. It did help, but it freed up the car too much. I knew I was off pace and I dislike Fuji anyways, so I just went with it.

Last edited:
In your diff. Theres initial, accel and decel. I believe a combination of initial and decel affects lift off oversteer the most. My diff for fuji ended up being 10 12 14 which wasnt perfect but got me around the sweepers well

In your diff. Theres initial, accel and decel. I believe a combination of initial and decel affects lift off oversteer the most. My diff for fuji ended up being 10 12 14 which wasnt perfect but got me around the sweepers well

Ah, it's listed as Initial Torque, Acceleration Sensitivity and Braking Sensitivity. I had them at 7, 9, 11.

FTFY

That race sucked. My car wanted to kill me. I made a couple adjustments that allowed me to hold more speed on the couple faster turns, but it created an incredible amount of lift off oversteer. It was fun, but not fast. However, I think I found my new drift set up for seasonals.

lol I found that vette to be like that as well. Very stabby. When we tested drove it I swapped the spring rate from stiff on rear to stiffer in front ( softer in rear) by Considerable amount. It helped take the nasty oversteer down a bit make it less crazy. Seems like you still have to be carful though.

lol I found that vette to be like that as well. Very stabby. When we tested drove it I swapped the spring rate from stiff on rear to stiffer in front ( softer in rear) by Considerable amount. It helped take the nasty oversteer down a bit make it less crazy. Seems like you still have to be carful though.

Yea. @Vegasracer helped me set it up for Bathurst and it handled well there. I couldn't find a good fix for Fuji.

I'm guessing coach's issues were more due to not adjusting rear spring rate to cope with the added weight, although the decel setting is critical to getting your lift off angle just right.

I'm guessing coach's issues were more due to not adjusting rear spring rate to cope with the added weight, although the decel setting is critical to getting your lift off angle just right.

Could be. Could be a lot of things, because I'm not too smart at this tuning thing :)

I didn't play around with decel options at all and was able to run a 1:39.9 at Fuji. All I compensated for was the severe oversteer by pulling a literal 180 with respect to typical spring rate tension settings. ( like I mentioned above ). It seems like it had everything to do with getting the car to ride smoother with less bite ( bite being crazy oversteer) that all being said I still had to drive the car super cautiously. Like coach mentioned. That car seems to want to try and kill its driver any chance it can get.

Note: Oh I also dropped the torques down a lot too. Keep the back end from trying to kiss the front all the time.

Driving home from work and saw this, I would like to point out we use salt on our roads. I cried a little.

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 18
I haven't spent any time in the other cars. All I know is that the Mustang plowed around the course. I tuned the LSD based on hammering the throttle in the last turn and making sure I got equal hookup under accel, then the long sweeping right to make sure I got enough lift-off turn in from the decel setting, and I fine tuned it based on how squirrelly the car was braking into the chicane. Playing with sway bars and springs for 2 hours yielded steady 1:42s but made no difference in grip level to get me through the corners faster. Finally, I saw progress with the dampers. Motor City Hami's guide in the tuning section provided me with the idea of "increasing front compression and increasing rear extension". So I started extreme with this concept...
8 / 2
2 / 8
Immediately, I shaved 3/4 second off my time, but it was a handful to control. I think I settled on the following which got me lower into the 1:41s and I was very happy with my qualifying lap.
6 / 4
4 / 6

Now for Tokyo, I've pretty much thrown the tune out the window. Any contact with the curbing at Tokyo with my Fuji setup was really upsetting the chassis. So I've dropped down to softer settings I was using at Bathurst but taking some of this damper setup and applying it on top. I got down to 1:42 flat at Tokyo last night after everyone left the room. Curb jumping is back on!

aussie-v8-supercars_07.jpg

After dropping to dead last in a crowded braking zone near the start of sector 3, I thought my race was over. Ended up making a 1 stop work and had just as good pace on RH as RM. Perhaps my most consistent endurace drive in GT6...until I nearly span on the final corner on the lap before last!

@CoachMK21 thanks for giving way in the final sector while you turned back the right way. Very heads-up driving and courteous. If I used a wheel I would help you tune your car. 👍

@schmedracer was chasing me down in the Corvette but was also making mistakes. We were both on the edge of our ability and finished just fractions of a second apart. Exhilirating race! Many thanks for the clean chase.

I ran a lot of test laps during the hour before this race and it really paid off. Fuji is a track I've driven a lot and enjoy. Excellent sight lines, smooth surface, lots of friendly tarmac run-off if things go wrong. Elevation change, mix of corners and a very long home straight for slipstreaming.

The lowest slipstream setting in GT6 is basically "off" and is a long way from real slipstream performance difference. The middle setting is a bit better, especially for lower powered cars. The ideal would be somewhere between lowest and middle, imho.

My setup is just about the same as I used at Bathurst, where I finished absolute dead last. The differences in my driving were bigger than differences in setup. Although, I did take the prevailing advice here and move the weight further back from +11% to about +30%. Also make my brake bias less extreme, 2:5 instead pof 3:6.

Last edited:
Wow, all very interesting stuff here to read about how this setup, and that setup, do one thing for a car and something different for another car and its driver. Then there's the track, and how a driver understands it. But wait, are you driving with a wheel or a controller? Don't forget that. That said, it is so clear now how the BOP can be so 'off' per track / per car. I can't ever see it being set correctly at the start of any season. It will just have to be whatever it is. So, I wish (and hope) that the BOP would be set early enough so that all have time to try the cars and then be ready to pick there choice based on a PRE-POSTED SCHEDULE for each driver to see at the start. That way the drivers can see when it's their turn, rather then waiting for a post that their turn is up (and unfortunately miss it). But I digress....

The most important thing I want to share is how much the GT1 room has grown. What a nice surprise to show up and see 15 other drivers. You all seemed to have had a good event and are in it for real. It will make you a better racer for sure. Learning tire management is a big part of GT1. And so is fueling (which I messed up last night). See ya soon. : )

What lap did you pit on @BenMillard? My plan was a 1 pit race as well but I went in too early. I figured it would come down to tire wear and wanted fewer miles on my RMs than RHs. I filled up the tank but was going to fall short about 3 laps from the end.

Read some news about the bop griping ahead of the sebring 12 hour and you'll see we are like an actual real racing series here xrad, lol. I agree that we need to have the bop for the cars out as early as possible to give ample time to test, even if it means pushing the season back a week. Its important that everyone is comfortable with their pick and has time to test.

With that said, i ran some laps in other cars at fuji and was very near my same pace as the camaro. Trick was in the 39's in every car he checked. Youre right xrad in that tuning only gets you so far, you have to drive these cars at their limits to get the most out of them. Thats something i still work on. My tendency is to drive conservative but that leaves a lot on the table.

Wow, all very interesting stuff here to read about how this setup, and that setup, do one thing for a car and something different for another car and its driver. Then there's the track, and how a driver understands it. But wait, are you driving with a wheel or a controller? Don't forget that. That said, it is so clear now how the BOP can be so 'off' per track / per car. I can't ever see it being set correctly at the start of any season. It will just have to be whatever it is. So, I wish (and hope) that the BOP would be set early enough so that all have time to try the cars and then be ready to pick there choice based on a PRE-POSTED SCHEDULE for each driver to see at the start. That way the drivers can see when it's their turn, rather then waiting for a post that their turn is up (and unfortunately miss it). But I digress....

The most important thing I want to share is how much the GT1 room has grown. What a nice surprise to show up and see 15 other drivers. You all seemed to have had a good event and are in it for real. It will make you a better racer for sure. Learning tire management is a big part of GT1. And so is fueling (which I messed up last night). See ya soon. : )
Read some news about the bop griping ahead of the sebring 12 hour and you'll see we are like an actual real racing series here xrad, lol. I agree that we need to have the bop for the cars out as early as possible to give ample time to test, even if it means pushing the season back a week. Its important that everyone is comfortable with their pick and has time to test.

With that said, i ran some laps in other cars at fuji and was very near my same pace as the camaro. Trick was in the 39's in every car he checked. Youre right xrad in that tuning only gets you so far, you have to drive these cars at their limits to get the most out of them. Thats something i still work on. My tendency is to drive conservative but that leaves a lot on the table.
1 thing I would like to mention to you both is that no one is locked into their car's until the drop of the green flag on race day.

@Xradkins the selection order is posted with the car list and everyone is tagged with in that post. The reason for the tagging of the next driver in line is to allow everyone to know as soon as possible that it's their turn. This season I even kept moving it to the top of the next page so that I could find it easily to update it with the selections.

As for getting the car list out sooner I can't I am using the races to try and balance the cars. the Drop of the checkered flag of the last race is when the final balancing is being done.

However both of you had advanced notice of the cars being used for this season. As you were both on the Bop testing team.

For next season we will be using the same cars with minor tweaks to a few cars. Might be getting rid of that beautiful vette.

My poor finishes are solely on me. I had top 5 results in sight. It's just been a long time since I've done more than a 10 minute race. Years ago I dominated a GT500 series here by driving the car no one wanted. It was tough to handle, but had plenty of power. Instead of pro/pro-am we forced drivers to pit on the first lap. That put them in chase mode the whole race...very exciting to start almost a minute behind and have to play catch up.

Anyway, I was going to add, with this heavy cars, it's not really about driving at the limit...it's about driving conservatively, saving tires, and finding a fast way around the track that doesn't set your tires on fire. I found I was racing at about 80% and making some cars pull me around the track last night...it paid off after about 6-7 laps when I had more tire than they did.

This being a tuning series, I appreciate the experienced guys sharing info. If nothing else it gives me ideas of what might do what to what. Keep posting thoughts on what works or doesn't work for you. I've been running the Corvette both with Schmed's high spring rate setup and a lower rate setup, but I haven't tried wildly different balances front to rear. Hope to be online this evening for a bit.

I'm working on a dedicated account for GT1. Please send friend requests to GT1Championship. when I get the new account online and the club created I will add everyone.

Last edited:
What lap did you pit on @BenMillard? My plan was a 1 pit race as well but I went in too early. I figured it would come down to tire wear and wanted fewer miles on my RMs than RHs. I filled up the tank but was going to fall short about 3 laps from the end.
In my online test runs that evening, my times were within a couple of seconds until the tyres fell to about 4 on the front left. Rears held on better after 10 laps, so that's why I pushed the weight backwards.

+50% was too much, I couldn't get the power down and had to keep twitching counter-steer in low speed turns. In the high speed it was faster but roasted both outside tyres. With finesse and with a wheel, it probably is faster as you have more input accuracy to surf the orange grip without hitting red.

Wound it back to +30% and front still wore faster. Did 10 laps ABS 0 and saw the rears locked in straight lines after a couple seconds but the inside front locked with any amount of steering.

ABS probably releases all the brakes when any wheel starts to lock. Level 1 is the lowest amount of release. That's why I changed from 3:6 to 2:5 as I could mash the brake and blend off ad I started to turn without ABS 1 kicking in. And if I was clumsy with the blend, it's only going to scrub the tyres instead of roasting them.

In the race I had a chaotic first lap, due to my poor qualifying. Was 1 or 2 seconds off test room pace, perhaps I set one 'golden lap' with the +50% tune and low fuel? Anyway, from dead last I saw myself feeling in the backmarkers and passing people who had their own dramas.

It gave me the hope to settle into endurance mode and run comfortable laps. Kept focus on my markers, kept my hands warm, shifted joints a bit on the straight to keep circulation. Attested in the groove. Felt proud of myself!

Saw people stop at end of lap 6 start of 7 and realised my looking runs of 14 laps would get me much deeper into the grave than them. Passed lots of people as they pitted.

My pace was staying within my expectations, varying but I know I can't drive to an exact time. So I jug fast varied on...and on...and on! Kept pushing people who went to the pits.

Trick overtook me during my first stint. My lap times went 42, 43, then a slippery 44 or 46 so I made that the last lap. Fuel was very low and I saw about 27 minutes had passed - I was accidentally on a one stop strategy now!

Game suggested 97 out of 98 litres to refuel, think that's a full tank because you get 101 litres available after starting on 100 litres. So I wound it down to 90 litres, as it's about 5 litres per lap and there can be an extra lap if the leader gets over the line in the dying seconds. Also, I'd rather finish heavy than finish at 80km/h!

Final stint felt just as relaxed. Didn't come out in last place which meant my gamble had paid off. Was back in the groove even easier than on RM. RH tyre is more dynamic on DS3 and let me put the car where I wanted.

Passed more cars taking a2nd pit stop. Caught some who were slithering on cooked tyres. Often in the last sector. I just followed, got a careful exit from final turn and textbook past on the straight. Didn't push the last turn as I caught them by driving smooth, just had to keep doing what I was doing.

Schmed became visible in my reverse view of the main straight. For several laps was fat away. Gradually closer, then further. Seemed to push the last turn too hard and was over the kerb, squirming onto the home straight.

So proud to keep my cool, apart from last turn slide a lap before the last lap, it was a controlled drive throughout. Phew!

EDIT: Need to fix some hilarious auto-complete from my phone. :lol: Can't edit from phone, just skips to end of message when I scroll and tap. (Other sites edit fine.)

EDIT2: Keeping the typos for entertainment value. 👍

Last edited:
Great write up Ben.

I've been running more laps at Tokyo just trying to figure out how I want to run the car. I managed a 1:42.1 a few nights ago but can't seem to repeat it.

Tokyo is a tough track. Im stuck around 42.0 right now but i think high 40's will be necessary to compete. I'll be practicing as much as possible this weekend. Hope to run into a few of you in some practice rooms.

I couldn't log onto PSN last night for some reason. My fastest offline lap on RH is about 1:42.2. For me anyway: RH offline ~ RM online. Best lap, I slapped the wall pretty hard at least once: might have made me faster or slower.

I'm taking my pretty crew chief (I learned this strategy from Tex) out tonight, but I should be online this weekend.

Tokyo is a tough track. Im stuck around 42.0 right now but i think high 40's will be necessary to compete. I'll be practicing as much as possible this weekend. Hope to run into a few of you in some practice rooms.

Mid to low 40's currently being reproduced at 246. There is 39's but I think unnecessary to compete/win. Still fun to shoot for. I'll be on tonight Whitey if your around let's hook it up. Anyone else who is free is welcome to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back