◆ SNAIL [GT1 Championship] Series

• Thread starter Jakedog23
  • 506 comments
Official practice for Suzuka tomorrow. I have always struggled at Suzuka for whatever reason so need all the practice i can get.

Nice videos guys! Looks like what drivers we do have are pretty good! Looks like I'm going to have to get the rust knocked off and get it together. That 7th Championship may be a tough one to get! Lol

"Had a pretty good battle with GTP_Ph7shr in a SNAIL GT1 practice session at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Ph7shr's Maserati is a far faster car than my Mercedes AMG, but Ph7shr exercises patience and plans his moves. This is a prime example of clean, hard racing with the utmost respect between the two of us at all times. No dirty divebombs, no cheeky tactics. Enjoy the video!"

Are we doing Indy this week? I just finished up a test and wanted to get some laps in with the IS-F.

Lol, if I don't remember to charge my head set, I'll be sailing through the grass again!:banghead:

I will be late to practice tonight and may possibly miss it altogether. Jake has been kind enough to offer to teach me how to use the sheets tonight so i can be a better steward of the league going forward.

Practice room closed. No races today.:guilty:
Nobody showed up. Guess there is a first time for everything....:confused:

Sorry i couldn't make it. Jake and I cleaned up the scoring sheets last night though and i encourage everyone to check them out. The link can be found on page 1 of the thread

Congratulations @Whitey093, you deserved that.

Nice last-gasp pass @Scorpion0001, I did choose the right strategy for my car but you simply had better tires. I was trying to hang on as much as I could if you couldn't tell with my rear end. I knew as soon as I stayed off the racing line into the final corner you were going to pass me on the exit. That Camaro is too good.

Can it be next season already? Please? I need this to slap some different widgets on this Mercedes and dominate the drifting events.

Smh, ran outta gas. Still some rust to get knocked off. I felt like I had the right setup and tire strategy. Just missed the fuel calculation. It was good to get the seat time in. I hope to be back to 100% by next season. I swear I don't remember these cars using so much fuel! Lol

I ran the perfect race. Except my tire choice oh and gas not enough and then too much oh and then too many pit stops. And that wipe out in lap 1. And then the series of driving and not paying attention. But other then that I killed it. :crazy:

Very nice win Whitey. I promise for the last race of the season I will practice more and be ready. It's not as much fun when you don't know wtf is going on. And what you need to do. I deserved what I got. :(

Great group of racers though I gotta say I'm looking forward to sarthe.

I can't seem to figure out pit strategies. I pit once at Brands Hatch (after running both strategies in mock races) and do horrible. I pit twice at Suzuka and I fall apart on worn tires and lose two positions I should have easily held onto. I pit three times at Indy to be safe and I'm 30+ seconds behind a car I was ahead of going into the first pit stop. I had no offs, I had no rough battles, I took the exact amount of gas required (30, 30, 40 and crossed the line on fumes), I wore each set of tires down to 5/5 on the front and started on hards so I wasn't held up or misled into thinking I was doing well, and then I just ran hard laps. W-T-F. I really enjoyed the first 15 minutes of the race...there were cars to chase down, cars to keep behind me...and then nothing...just running laps. Honestly, I'd prefer the racing to be less about pit strategy and more about racing wheel to wheel. Turn off the high tire wear next season. I'm sick of it.

I hear your frustration chuy. I tried to calculate the perfect pit strategy for each race when i first started out but it never worked out well. At some point in my third season i just said F it and created a general outline for myself that i've used ever since at every track except Le Mans which is special since the laps are so long. I just run 2 15 ish minute stints on the softer option tire and 1 20 minute ish stint on the harder option tire. I make a generalized fuel calculation for the first race and adjust going forward depending on how that worked out. Yesterday i actually took more fuel than necessary out of an abundance of caution because i had ended up higher up than expected and didn't want to risk losing it to fuel issues.

I wonder how much war getting out front early and stretching a lead affected people's strategies. I always just stick with what i am doing regardless of what anyone else does and it has mixed results, last place last week and first this week. I really couldn't believe that people were pitting so often and then dropping like flies toward the end. Gotta save those tires. Brake straight and keep the load off the outside front tire. Roll into the apex and straighten out the exit. I backed off and saved my tires and avoided battles as much as possible. I wasn't putting down hot laps like some were but i had just enough left at the end to stay in it and be in position to capitalize on those who hadn't. Finished on 3's in the front and probably wouldn't have made it another lap but it was just enough.

@Whitey093, I've always minded my own race. There are times when I am tempted to pit earlier to avoid a bad undercut then I just have to remind myself what's going to be on the back half of that when my tires are a lap or two older than I need them to be. I wasn't really in a position to race anyone too hard as it was last night so I just sat back and minded my own business. That's why it was easy to get past me, defending wasn't worth my time and would only cost me down the road.

Yeah that's just what i do too bambi. Whenever i change my strategy on the fly it bites me. You have a special case being in that mercedes. You must have great empathy for alonso in the mclaren now after experiencing futility first hand. I plead with you to just use the DB9 at Le Mans so you can be somewhat competitive and have fun at least.

I can't seem to figure out pit strategies. I pit once at Brands Hatch (after running both strategies in mock races) and do horrible. I pit twice at Suzuka and I fall apart on worn tires and lose two positions I should have easily held onto. I pit three times at Indy to be safe and I'm 30+ seconds behind a car I was ahead of going into the first pit stop. I had no offs, I had no rough battles, I took the exact amount of gas required (30, 30, 40 and crossed the line on fumes), I wore each set of tires down to 5/5 on the front and started on hards so I wasn't held up or misled into thinking I was doing well, and then I just ran hard laps. W-T-F. I really enjoyed the first 15 minutes of the race...there were cars to chase down, cars to keep behind me...and then nothing...just running laps. Honestly, I'd prefer the racing to be less about pit strategy and more about racing wheel to wheel. Turn off the high tire wear next season. I'm sick of it.
It all starts in practice man. I haven't been doing long runs and look at my results. I blew a 20 second lead because I miscalculated fuel. You have to test and figure the car out then practice different strategies.

I plead with you to just use the DB9 at Le Mans
I've sent you the data showing you how I'd do in the DB9. 1'30.8s at Indy on a full tank of gas. If I had used it yesterday I am confident that I would have taken the victory pretty handily. As unfair as the BoP is right now, making that switch would be unfair to everyone else. Rules are rules and I am the one who picked the AMG, so I should be held accountable for that and see out the rest of the season in accordance to the rules and practices already in place. As for fun, I can have fun. Although it may not seem like it, the challenge of merely keeping up in the Mercedes is good exercise for me, and it keeps me humble. That said, I still can't wait for this to be over so I can exercise my actual potential in a fair and sporting manner.

Also this...

Back