◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,797 comments
I'm a Tigers fan, that is, if I really followed mlb. I was actually in a bar called Wild Country just outside of STL, in 07 I believe, when Det lost to the Cards. My ex wife was from a little town in the other side of the river called Granite City. Anyway. I was sporting some Michigan clothing, and got kicked out of the bar shortly after the game ended. Went to take a pee, and went I got out of the bathroom a troop of bouncers walked me out the door. Hate that place.
Let's go REDSOX

Woke up to this today. I'm not sure if I'm more frustrated with PD or with this snow. We finally had visible grass prior to this.
image.jpg

1VFAIur.png

Race Date - Sun Mar 23 2014
Penalty Rate 67%
Banner by dabneyd

Thanks to Sony and Polyphony Digital for creating unusually adverse conditions for our league to race under and driving several long time SNAILs and Gran Turismo players to other platforms. /sarcasm

Below are the results of the 12 incidents that got reviewed.

Division 2 - 1 incident on file
Division 4 - 2 incidents on file
Division 5 -
1 incident on file
Division WC1 -
7 incidents on file

These results can be viewed on the SNAIL Steward Review Sheet.

Thanks to tezgm99 for his reviews this week.
Don't forget to claim your $hells for completing reviews.
:cheers:

* * * * * * * * * * * * *​

These changes affect the final standings.
Full final results can be found here. @zer05ive & @kcheeb, these adjustments have been made in the director's and results sheets.
***If you were penalized and would like further explanation regarding the incident, PM your Division Steward and they will let you know what the stewards saw and our opinions on it.***​

Introducing the GranStand.
The GranStand racing stand system is fully modular, allowing for customization beyond the efforts of many others on the market. This also allows for selection of a model that fits not only your needs, but your budget as well, and always allows for additional modules.

The GranStand Challenge III Points have been updated with the races run on March 23rd. If you find something amiss with your points, let me know asap, thanks!​

>>> GrandStand Challenge III Point Standings <<<

Don't forget your exclusive S.N.A.I.L. discount on all GranStand products!

And pretty much any kind of motorsports really.
Yep, just about the only thing I watch. Rally racing and road racing. I can tolerate NASCAR for about 20 laps before the ADD starts to go crazy. Rally racing, drifting and BTCC are probably my favorite to watch.I don't think there is ever a dull moment when Jason Plato is on the track.
Woke up to this today. I'm not sure if I'm more frustrated with PD or with this snow. We finally had visible grass prior to this.View attachment 134602
I feel for ya, we are finally getting a break. Today is 50, tomorrow will be 60. Not one to trust the weather channel, I'll wait to see if it really does stay in the 40's after that, or if it will jump back down to the 20's and snow some more.

I go to the occasional game here to watch the Rays with my 9yr old son and 5yr old daughter. Indoor dome is really nice and the attendance is usually low...mainly due to the location of the stadium. I would probably go more if the stadium were actually in Tampa because our team really doesn't have any major prima donna personalities...because we can't afford them ;)
I'm sorry, but Tropicana is the ugliest field imo.

Hey guys, I've been super busy the last month and was unable to keep up with the forum, so I decided to re-read the first page to see if any major changes were made. Correct me if i'm mistaken, but from what I read, the changes are:

"Prize C: The right to "freeze" either the car or the track of the combo that received the second most votes"

"S.N.A.I.L. policy on tracks with weather and/or time progression:
Time progression will be set to 1.
Weather will be set at 0.
Weather change will be set to fixed.
Surface water will be set to 0"

"(Penalties OFF for D1 and D2/D3 only)"
If there is some other major change that I missed I'd appreciate if you'd inform me. :)

Thanks for all the practice I was abel to take part in today. I can not remember the last time I was able to do that. I am beginning to have a love hate with the CSL. I just can not seem to get through a race without some unforced errors.

Me and the Integra are very happy:)

You missed the obstacle race... no one even saw your smoke!.

Hey guys, I've been super busy the last month and was unable to keep up with the forum, so I decided to re-read the first page to see if any major changes were made. Correct me if i'm mistaken, but from what I read, the changes are:

"Prize C: The right to "freeze" either the car or the track of the combo that received the second most votes"

"S.N.A.I.L. policy on tracks with weather and/or time progression:
Time progression will be set to 1.
Weather will be set at 0.
Weather change will be set to fixed.
Surface water will be set to 0"

"(Penalties OFF for D1 and D2/D3 only)"
If there is some other major change that I missed I'd appreciate if you'd inform me. :)

D2 and D3 will not start running with penalties off until next week which is the start of the April season. You also should take a look at this: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ucts-spots-open.235094/page-1551#post-9274667 and check the drivers list which is here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ucts-spots-open.235094/page-1483#post-9199361

3 for 3 Keys to a Consistent Race

Deep Forest
  • Avoid the Rock. Push to hard on the throttle coming off the double apex turn at the start of the second sector and you will find yourself hitting this mole.

In this example it costs the blue car a total of 3 positions

• To file or not to file? There are places where it does not pay to attack as it is almost impossible to make a complete pass before the next turn; going double wide will slow both racers down and allow the chasing cars to quickly close the gap. In this example the blue car tries to make a pass at turn 1 but is unable to carry enough momentum to complete the pass. White car defends well and is positioned in a better place and the next corner is the tight right before the tunnel.

• Mind what is in front of you more than what is behind you. Do not make the rear view mirror your worst enemy. Always be mindful of all surrounding cars but going to the rear view mirror constantly can lend to major mistakes.

Like penalties

or hitting the mole

or missing your apex

Apricot Hill Raceway - Forward

• Early breaking at the hairpin will allow you to throttle up right after the apex. Here the white car pushes too hard and it is unable to use the throttle, while the green car kept it nice and tight throughout the turn and able to throttle right at the apex to complete the pass.

• Again, early braking before coming to turn 11 (the chicane) will allow you to have the car well balanced and have good momentum coming off the chicane. Avoid throttling up too quickly or you'll end up in the run off area costing you precious positions.

• Hug Turn 1 and 2; if you were able to draft the car in front of you and were able to get enough overlap, attack the inside while maintaining a tight radius; this will give you the advantage as the car outside has to travel further way from turn 2....

...Proper follow through requires the car to slow down just enough and maintain control without sliding to the outside...

...To be able to complete the pass without incident...

• Similarly, defending the inside if you are ahead will require exact breaking point in order to avoid the run off. If the car behind you did not get overlap break at your normal breaking point....

but if the car chasing got overlap do not panic and break normally while taking the curve just a little tiny bit further away from the apex.

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

• Let's get ready to Rumbleeeee! Love them or hate them the rumble strips will allow you to shave valuable time off your lap time. The key is how you approach them. Do not throttle hard when you are over the rumble stips, allow the car to coast through them....
... or you'll end up losing control of the car.

• Concentrate on hitting the apexes. Here's an example of a car hitting the apex perfectly while the car chasing in its futile attempt to close the gap does not have the proper line, tries to get close to the apex and instead ends up too far over the grass and rumble strip which does not allow him to use the throttle for up to a second while he stabilizes the car again, in the meantime Blue has been escaping away for that whole second.

• Learn to know when the battle is lost and avoid causing major incidents. Here's a tight battle with a group of 4 cars, 56 is drafting on 13 but basically trapped; 4th car is drafting on left car and hitting max speed before coming to Les Combes...
.... completes the pass and starts breaking to avoid contact with 13....

..... in a desperate attempt to recover an already lost position; car in the middle brakes late and opens a hole where there is not one, hitting 2 cars and causing a major incident. The smart racer would file behind and follow its line which may allow him to pass the cars that were on the inside on the next couple of turns.

Gallery of Snail Practice

If those are D2 times I'm in trouble. Didn't get anywhere near those times today in practice. :nervous:

Speaking of practice, a couple of the newer guys were sort of tripping over themselves in the corners, especially the first corner of the race. To help out, I'd like it remind everyone that corner rights do apply to the first corner of lap 1, like any other corner. I'll follow up with a post I put out every few months that explains it in detail.

And here it is:

07: Corner Rights:

A:

When approaching the turn/apex of turn, the car which "holds" the inner side of turn has entrance-advantage and other driver(s) must refrain from endangering him by his actions.
B:
You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead
before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in. The ahead driver must not abruptly change their line through a corner for any reason.

Not to
Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
but here is the post script:

So you are following the car ahead and you see that he is taking a wide turn and think to yourself, I will attack the inside. Before you charge ahead you must ask 3 questions.
  1. Do I have sufficient overlap?
  2. Where will my apex vs his apex be?
  3. Did he already starting turning?
In the example here provided the 1st picture is taken from the chasers perspective following a group of cars. The 5th car is taken a pretty wide approach to the curve coming out of the tunnel at Deep Forest

a second later, chaser decides to attach the inside and making contact with such 5th car which shows in the next picture in the middle. Heavy contact was made and the passed completed. If this was a Sunday race this would be incident filed (this is also known as a dive bomb).

Food for Thought
  • The Apex is a popular place to be.
  • Put yourself in the 'others' drivers position. Would you like someone else racing and passing you in such a way?
  • The car ahead of you is also 'required' to respect the position of the cars ahead of him.
  • Show Patience and Respect at all times.
What is sufficient overlap?
  • One way of thinking about overlap is running side by side. The picture below shows the green car attacking the inside of silver; by the end of the straight, silver needs to give enough room for green to take the curve, silver cannot take his usual line and aim for the apex. Green needs to maintain a tight turn around the curve and not come out to the outside upon exit.

• If you don't have sufficient overlap and attack the inside, you must be ready to hit the brakes if contact is imminent or give position back.
  • D:
    The turn in point is the point at which the leading car begins their turn into the corner. This may vary from the point at which you turn into the corner.

Last edited:
Thanks to @msgt-sd for his help on Apricot Hill last night. Also, thanks for the help on SPA from the driver who's name I can't remember, who is just getting back into it and was throwing down 2:27s, but was having some trouble with consistency. I could see that he was very good 'in, as he put it, his day. I think he is newly in or is about to join S.N.A.I.L.

Here is a pic of my racing shoes. The rubber sole was getting caught on the brake petal as I was lifting off the throttle. That was the beginning of the duck tape development phase (still ongoing), which I discovered makes for nice fine tuning of the comfort factor. Notice the extra pieces of foam to keep my heals from getting sore from long hours of racing. Kind of gives new meaning to 'feet of clay'.
IMG_2563.JPG

Last edited:
BTCC was fun today! If you are not able to get the itv4 viewer to work for BBC motorsports, I have a workaround solution for PC viewing (and then hook PC up to the TV....).

Looked like the Ginetta Juniors series are similar to the Cappucino Racer, but on Sport Med/Soft tires.

A public apology for anyone I messed up in practice and a special attaboy for the eight or nine accomplished Snails whom I raced wheel to wheel late last night, or was early morning, with absolutely no fear of getting punted shunted or brake checked. You guys are good and you have a two years lead :boggled: but dicing with you, even if I was mostly last was really educational and FUN. Again oops for my screw ups (especially at turn one at Spa) and Yee Haa for the racing especially the last races at Deep Forest.

Points of Interest

This week S.N.A.I.L. will be running at Deep Forest Raceway, Apricot Hill, and Spa Francorchamps. Deep Forest is making it's GT6 debut but is a repeat of a combo we ran in GT5. Apricot Hill is back for it's second overall appearance since the changeover to GT6 and Spa Francorchamps is making it's fifth straight appearance. Here are your points of interest for the week.

sttpahx.jpg

Deep Forest Raceway is a track that was created by PD for the very first version of Gran Turismo and has been featured in the series ever since. It was recently discovered that the track bore a striking resemblance to an abandoned race track in the Midwestern United States. Link: https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-deep-forest-greenwood-raceway-iowa/ The track is a mix of high speed sweeping corners and a tighter section in the middle featuring elevation changes throughout.

As with all other tracks, the rumble strip or curbs serve as the edge of the track when they are present. In the absence of these boundaries, a change in pavement serves as the edge of the track. Be aware of the left hander before the tunnel. You can have two tires in the track and the game’s programming will assess a penalty. The concrete areas past the rumble strips on this track are considered to be out of bounds and will result in a penalty from the stewards if you are caught driving out there.

The photo above shows the front straight. The white line is not a track boundary in this instance, however, if you choose to drive to the right of this line, you must be aware that the lane ends when you get to corner. It is the responsibility of the driver in the lane that ends to merge back into traffic safely. It is not the responsibility of anyone else to make room for you to merge back into traffic.

The below photo is an example of the curbing and stone area that is behind the curbing in places on the track. The red/white rumble strips are part of the track and the stone area is NOT part of the track.

EGojR7D.jpg

This photo is taken at the left hander before the tunnel. The concrete area behind the rumble strips is NOT part of the track. Drivers will need to be extra careful here as the in game penalty differs from our rules.

AtSRSfF.jpg

The next photo is taken in the tunnel. Once again, the concrete area to the left of the rumble strips is NOT part of the track.

kV7uyLB.jpg

The last photo is taken at the exit of the last turn. It shows the end of the rumble strips. The rumble strips are part of the track but the grass at the end of the strips is not. Driving out there will get a look from the stewards.

Mq2pXCC.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
s4qx8Fe.jpg

Apricot Hill is a track created by PD that is making it's return to the series in GT6. The track has only one layout that can be run in forward or reverse. We will be running the track forward. The fact that there are no access roads or spots where another layout comes into play makes the track boundaries very easy to understand.

The first photo shows the red/white rumble strips that we are all used to and know that they are part of the track.

DFFxT0P.jpg

This next picture shows a solid color rumble strip that is usually on the outside of corners at this track but appears on the inside of this gentle curve. This type of strip is also considered part of the track.

3HzrTkC.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spa Francorchamps

spa-francorchamps.jpg

Spa Francorchamps was originally opened for business in August of 1921. The first scheduled race did not take place because there was only one entrant for the event. The first race held at Spa was a motorcycle race in 1922. The first 24hr race would be held in 1924. The original course was a 14km layout that featured long straights and was built to be one of the fastest tracks in Europe. Formula One would run on the 14 km layout until 1970 when the series cited safety and security reasons with the track. Modifications were made and the current layout was introduced in 1979 and Formula One would return to the track. Numerous run off areas were added to the track and the distance shortened by removing some of the long straights.
The track boundaries at Spa are not difficult to understand but can be difficult to follow. In all situations, the red/white rumble strips are part of the track but anything located behind them is not.

Exit of turn one. The red/white rumble strips are part of the track. The solid white line next to the strips is NOT part of the track and everything to the left of that line is NOT part of the track. If you find yourself out here, you must lift off the throttle and track re-entry rules do apply to you.

a0uG9Yi.jpg

The next three photos are taken from Eau Rouge. In all of the photos, the red/white rumble strips are part of the track. The solid black and everything to the left of it in photo 1 are NOT track. The solid white line to the left of the strips in the second photo and everything left of it are NOT part of the track. In the third photo, the solid black line and everything to the right of it is NOT part of the track. Once the red/white strips end, the white line is the edge of the track. If you find yourself OB, you need to lift off the throttle to avoid a penalty from the stewards and normal track re-entry rules will apply to you.

GECqMt7.jpg
udRB7fQ.jpg

kFqPzDH.jpg

This photo shows the end of the rumble strips where the white line becomes the track boundary. Any area to the right of the white line past the end of the red/white strips is considered to be out of bounds.

zHQeQ6D.jpg

This is turn 5 and the photo serves as an example for the entire track. It shows the red/white rumble strips as part of the track and the grass to the right of it is NOT part of the track.

S4JRZJI.jpg

Turn 6 shown here. The red/white strips are part of the track. The green area and the paved area on the left of the green area are not part of the track. If you find yourself here, you will need to slow down to negate any advantage you may have gained and wait to re-enter the track until you can do so without affecting any other driver.

zGX3UJ3.jpg

This is a section of track between turn 6 and turn 7. The white line serves as the track boundary here on the left side of the track where it connects the two sets of rumble strips.

O9tNZYl.jpg

This is the inside of turn 7 and the photo serves as an example for the rest of the track. The red/white rumble strips are part of the track. The brownish area directly to the right of the strips is NOT considered part of the track.

psMjiNn.jpg

Here is the exit of turn 7. Once again, we have the red/white strips as part of the track but the green area to the left of it is NOT part of the track. Once the rumble strips end, the white line is the track boundary. The different color paving at the end of the rumble strips is NOT part of the track.

89vdEVK.jpg

This is the outside of Pouhon or turn 10 and 11. The red/white strips are part of the track. The green area and everything to the right of the green are NOT part of the track. If you end up here, you will need to slow down to negate any advantage gained and return to the proper racing surface without affecting any other driver.

mJLD5z5.jpg

This is the exit of turn 17. As is the case everywhere else on the track, the red/white rumble strips are part of the track but the green area to the right is NOT part of the track. Once the red/white strips end, the white line becomes the boundary and the green area is still NOT part of the track.

n06lGbW.jpg

This is an overview of the final chicane. The entrance is at the bottom of the photo. The green area approaching the turn is NOT part of the track. You can't drive out there to improve your entry angle to the right hander. The red/white strips are part of the track throughout this section. Any green pavement, including the exit of the section (not pictured) is NOT part of the track.

ClFzeVu.jpg

Thanks to @msgt-sd for his help on Apricot Hill last night. Also, thanks for the help on SPA from the driver who's name I can't remember, who is just getting back into it and was throwing down 2:27s, but was having some trouble with consistency. I could see that he was very good 'in, as he put it, his day. I think he is newly in or is about to join S.N.A.I.L.

Here is a pic of my racing shoes. The rubber sole was getting caught on the brake petal as I was lifting off the throttle. That was the beginning of the duck tape development phase (still ongoing), which I discovered makes for nice fine tuning of the comfort factor. Notice the extra pieces of foam to keep my heals from getting sore from long hours of racing. Kind of gives new meaning to 'feet of clay'.View attachment 134679
This.

I don't really know what I'm doing here, but I found your guy's lobby online about a week or so ago and somebody told me it was a racing league, and that I should join. I like the clean racing so I'm in.
@Travisorus,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Like what ive read here is my official "Request to join up"
@Smarly 1time,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Latest Posts

Back