1.24 Hrs of Daytona - BMW M3 GT Spec - BEING UPGRADED TO 4 WEEK SERIESFinished 

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 218 comments
The last series I ran did 4 weeks, best 3 finishes count. Long enough to feel like a championship but not so long that it becomes difficult to commit. I figure most people can probably make 3 out of 4 weeks.

If I upgrade this to a points season I would probable shorten the races to be about 45-55 minutes instead of 1+hour. With tire/fuel wear at "normal" I think one pitstop would still be necessary, if not I might change it to "fast" to ensure we all have to make a pitstop. Other specs would stay the same, damage:light, slipstream:real, penalties;off, grip:real, time change when possible. Track schedule would likely be Daytona Road, Silverstone GP, Nurb. GP/F, La Sarthe.

Should there be two different points nights, a Tuesday Series and a Saturday Series each with their own champion? We've done it that way in the past and it seemed to work out well.
doesn't matter to me I can only make Saturday so as long as I can make enough races to give me a chance to compete for the championship im in.

Should there be two different points nights, a Tuesday Series and a Saturday Series each with their own champion? We've done it that way in the past and it seemed to work out well.

Thought:
Do races both days. If someone can't make a Saturday maybe they can make the Tuesday. Those making both get to keep the higher of the two finishes. Kinda like an attendance bonus.

Thought:
Do races both days. If someone can't make a Saturday maybe they can make the Tuesday. Those making both get to keep the higher of the two finishes. Kinda like an attendance bonus.
Yeah, like we had it in one of the Cappy seasons. Some might be unhappy that others get two bites, but I think it stimulates attendance.

Thought:

Like Dan mentioned, we did something similar in the Capp Cup but balance becomes an issue. Is a 2nd place finish in a field of 7 drivers worth as much as a 3rd place finish in a field of 14 drivers? It's a good idea and it was fun when we did it in the Capp's but it quickly became too much for me to manage. I'll probably just start with a Tuesday series/champion and a Saturday series/champion, keep things easy for now while I get back on my feet. Once we have a solid crowd attending regularly I'll think about more advanced methods of organizing things. 👍

Dunno how I missed this. These races look fun :)

I'm flattered......and a bit afraid! :nervous: :lol: We'd be happy to have you once I sort something out. Are you available Tuesday evenings or Saturday afternoons (8pm and 3pm EST)? I had a look at your Sunday series and it sounds great but I'm already running in a Sunday morning and Sunday evening series and I don't think my arms could handle another race that day. :crazy:

My vote to the idea of making this into 4 weeks mini-series...

I am not against racing for points, nor is it a must to me.
But sure it will tend to keep the attendance higher than without... After all, when honors and recognition (points) will be awarded, the human nature is to seek them :P

Due to my location in the Euro-zone, I won't be able to participate in weekday's night race, so for me, I will only have one shot per week to get points.
But... Letting the higher points per race-week count towards the score-board, for a driver taking part twice that week, will most likely be a motivator to take part in as much race-days as possible, thus making the attendance higher in general to everyone's benefit.
So for my part, I wouldn't split up the series between Tuesdays and Saturdays... And then just don't worry about "balance"... 👍

Like Dan mentioned, we did something similar in the Capp Cup but balance becomes an issue. Is a 2nd place finish in a field of 7 drivers worth as much as a 3rd place finish in a field of 14 drivers? It's a good idea and it was fun when we did it in the Capp's but it quickly became too much for me to manage. I'll probably just start with a Tuesday series/champion and a Saturday series/champion, keep things easy for now while I get back on my feet. Once we have a solid crowd attending regularly I'll think about more advanced methods of organizing things. 👍

Could points be scored by car count.

If you have four people show up. Winner gets 4 points. If 16 cars show up winner gets 16.

Make sense? Would be an easy thing to track.

This could be your point system for both days not even combining them. This way points are sorta based on completion so to speak.

... After all, when honors and recognition (points) will be awarded, the human nature is to seek them :P

... Letting the higher points per race-week count towards the score-board, for a driver taking part twice that week, will most likely be a motivator to take part in as much race-days as possible, thus making the attendance higher in general to everyone's benefit.
So for my part, I wouldn't split up the series between Tuesdays and Saturdays... And then just don't worry about "balance"... 👍

I wonder if there's another way to provide honors and recognition besides awarding points? Perhaps a Hall of Fame type thing would scratch that itch.

In the past we raced multiple nights and let the highest finish count towards your points and it did seem to attract a good crowd. It was nice knowing that if you had a bad outing on Tuesday you had a chance to make up for it on Saturday. It's not an entirely fair system (Saturday could have a smaller/slower crowd, some people can only race once a week) but I don't recall that drawing many complaints because the crowds were big and the competition was good. I'd have to consult with my Information Technology staff (@RDAardvark) to see if a spreadsheet could be devised to record two nights worth of races and automatically discard the lowest result of the week (as well as the lowest week overall). One of the neat things about that system was that it allowed people to compete against each other even if they never raced together. So, if Owens can only race Tuesdays and Mikael can only race Saturdays they can still compete in the points without ever seeing each other on track. 👍

Could points be scored by car count.

If you have four people show up. Winner gets 4 points. If 16 cars show up winner gets 16.

That could work fairly easily but I think it might be difficult to use a spreadsheet for it. I'll keep it in mind as something to possibly use in the future if participation dips. 👍

I wonder if there's another way to provide honors and recognition besides awarding points? Perhaps a Hall of Fame type thing would scratch that itch.

In the past we raced multiple nights and let the highest finish count towards your points and it did seem to attract a good crowd. It was nice knowing that if you had a bad outing on Tuesday you had a chance to make up for it on Saturday. It's not an entirely fair system (Saturday could have a smaller/slower crowd, some people can only race once a week) but I don't recall that drawing many complaints because the crowds were big and the competition was good. I'd have to consult with my Information Technology staff (@RDAardvark) to see if a spreadsheet could be devised to record two nights worth of races and automatically discard the lowest result of the week (as well as the lowest week overall). One of the neat things about that system was that it allowed people to compete against each other even if they never raced together. So, if Owens can only race Tuesdays and Mikael can only race Saturdays they can still compete in the points without ever seeing each other on track. 👍

That could work fairly easily but I think it might be difficult to use a spreadsheet for it. I'll keep it in mind as something to possibly use in the future if participation dips. 👍

It depends on the software you use, in Microsoft Excel this is not only possible but fairly easy to do.

Hmm. Could lead to some very interesting results: Finish 7th out of 14 and get 8 points. Finish 2nd out of 9 and also get 8 points. Would everyone deem that to be fair? The last point scheme we used awarded 25 points for the win, then 22, 20, 18, 16, etc down to 2 points for 14th place. We could use this scale but move along it depending on how many people turn up.

It depends on the software you use, in Microsoft Excel this is not only possible but fairly easy to do.

I tend to use GoogleDocs (or whatever they call it today), as it is easy to share amongst the race admins. It can also be used to automatically publish the league tables, as per this.

I'm flattered......and a bit afraid! :nervous: :lol: We'd be happy to have you once I sort something out. Are you available Tuesday evenings or Saturday afternoons (8pm and 3pm EST)? I had a look at your Sunday series and it sounds great but I'm already running in a Sunday morning and Sunday evening series and I don't think my arms could handle another race that day. :crazy:

Haha nothing to be afraid of. Don't play much these days :)

Saturday would be the only time I'd be free, but I can't commit to any schedule. I'll keep an eye on this thread and hopefully once you get everything all sorted I'll be able to find some time to participate :)

Thanks!

Nah, we're not skeered. We've raced with the likes of Wardez and Shonvonstig in the past and have a few resident speed demons that always keep the guys up front company. Much respect though. 👍

We'll have at least 4 weeks of racing so hopefully you can show up for a few of them. The more the merrier!

I'm just gonna leave this here. :)

Finished painting my 2.4 hrs of Daytona car!

OwensDaytona24a.png

Just pulled out of pit stall, assume the rear was spinning at different speed. :) But I am gonna try that!

Are you legally allowed to advertise your site and company in IRacing?

Yep. Only thing to worry is advertising or using copyrighted with out permission. So like a NFL themed car may be an issue. Nobody gonna say anything. It doesn't exist in reality. It just 0 and 1's. I've seen everything replicated.

Back