1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,442 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.7%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.7%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.1%

• Total voters
Update that tip about Kyoshos. Don't buy any Ferrari models 2005 or earlier. The axles are horrid.

They also seem to not have the slide-in-slide out card backing like current day models. Instead, the blister is glued down to the card like Hot Wheels.

Boo.

=========

Wow eBay sellers fees are so inconsistent, it's BS. Not only do they subtract a final shipping fee, Paypal will also deduct another amount themselves. What eBay even needs to take your shipping money for is beyond me. They already take final listing fees! I'm glad I sold some of the more valuable stuff to cover the losses there.

At this point, this gives me another reason to mod the unpopular stuff I don't like instead of selling as a consumer's desirable price range.

And should I ever sell again, I will mark up the listing and shipping by a small percentage to reduce the loss on the final fees. If it wasn't for the more popular items, it'd be impossible to break even.

Last edited:
Congratulate me! I finally found the new Kool Kombi at Walmart! I picked up one for moi, one for my VW nut coworker. Also picked up couple more Herbie Love Bugs, so I can finally give them to my nephew. No 510 wagons, but I'm not sweating(yet). I'd SO buy those Kool Kombi Super Treasure Hunt online, but I'm gonna wait until I find one for $20. Currently, it's going for near the 510 $TH money. :grumpy:

@Spacegoat I just noticed that AmiAmi has bunch of mainline Tomica preorders, but there are no pictures? One interesting one is Toyota Land Cruiser 70. I googled it & they supposedly are this? I'm interested. They also have car with no name(I think they called it No. 13?), and Lamborghini Veneno, which could be epic, or epic failure(no pic yet). :lol:
They have a bit of glue, but after 15 years or so, it sets. Coincidentially, just a couple days ago or so I was also unscrewing some 100% cars I just grabbed to get them rid of the rubber bands, as they were starting to bond with the paint. Ah, and btw, very cool Cadoos 👍
Thanks mang. 👍 Yeah, that rubberband thing happened to me once, but it scarred me for life! Those screws were in there so hard, I was convinced they also used threadlock. :lol:
No resale value on a 2002 Final Run 380 SEL (unless you want to take it off me). Here's what it looks like from two angles for those interested. This car will be hitting the stripper soon.
That car still eludes me. :crazy: Of course, last thing I'll do is to import one from Canada. I know. Lame. :lol:
I've flirted with getting one before, but I've been happy with the base models from the Auto World. Johnny Lightning IROC-Z's a nice change of pace though. 👍
I just realized this morning with the money I spent on the last two Datsun wagons I purchased, I could have bought a nice 1:18 AutoArt. :P
Don't be a buzzkill with your sensible, practical math & stuff!!!!

:lol:
Update that tip about Kyoshos. Don't buy any Ferrari models 2005 or earlier. The axles are horrid.

They also seem to not have the slide-in-slide out card backing like current day models. Instead, the blister is glued down to the card like Hot Wheels.

Boo.

=========

Wow eBay sellers fees are so inconsistent, it's BS. Not only do they subtract a final shipping fee, Paypal will also deduct another amount themselves. What eBay even needs to take your shipping money for is beyond me. They already take final listing fees! I'm glad I sold some of the more valuable stuff to cover the losses there.

At this point, this gives me another reason to mod the unpopular stuff I don't like instead of selling as a consumer's desirable price range.

And should I ever sell again, I will mark up the listing and shipping by a small percentage to reduce the loss on the final fees. If it wasn't for the more popular items, it'd be impossible to break even.
Final listing fee is the final sell price + shipping. Keep your eyes open though, because they've been tweaking & experimenting with the listing & fee structure like every couple of months now. 👎 Last year or so, I've figure that 10% of the total(including shipping) goes to eBay, PayPal takes 5%, for the grand total of 15%. It's hefty, but the current system of zero listing fee allows me to set the starting price high to avoid any losses. This in the way contribute to losses(high prices, less bargains, less shoppers), but it is what it is. *shrug*

P.S. Kyosho cards, or any cards that comes with cars, I hate them all. :yuck:

Oh man. I'm in big doo doo. I accidentally punched in an extra 1 when I was declaring the value on one person's parcel. I'm thankful he notified me, because I'm heading to the post office tomorrow. I'll see if the person can do anything about it, because that's a huge loss on my end if I have to take responsibility for that.

One interesting one is Toyota Land Cruiser 70. I googled it & they supposedly are this? I'm interested.

According to 829 Japan it's apparently this 2015 Landcruiser and it's only going to be released in Black. Another one that could be worth keeping an eye on. 👍
landcru-300x170.jpg

And I noticed the Tommy Kaira pre-orders, wish there was a picture would love to see what it looked so I can decide if I should go for one or not.

Oh man. I'm in big doo doo. I accidentally punched in an extra 1 when I was declaring the value on one person's parcel. I'm thankful he notified me, because I'm heading to the post office tomorrow. I'll see if the person can do anything about it, because that's a huge loss on my end if I have to take responsibility for that.
Can you still post in this thread from the Homeland Security prison? It was nice knowing you. Bye.
According to 829 Japan it's apparently this 2015 Landcruiser and it's only going to be released in Black. Another one that could be worth keeping an eye on. 👍
landcru-300x170.jpg

And I noticed the Tommy Kaira pre-orders, wish there was a picture would love to see what it looked so I can decide if I should go for one or not.
Wow, not as cool(Land Cruiser), but like you said, we need pics before we decide. :crazy:

Yooooooooo

hw-mustang2.jpg

No to Stangs, but yes to Shelbys. Just when I was about to put the nail on the coffin with the GT500s.

===================

Recently uncarded as well, I was getting bored of keeping a carded item I would look at once and store away for an eternity. So I went and did in some photos for those unwilling to do so:

Porsche%2B917K%2B(2013%2BGulf%2BHWC%2BExclusive%2B1120%3A4000).jpg

Porsche%2B917K_a.jpg

Porsche%2B917K_e.jpg

Porsche%2B917K_d.jpg

Porsche%2B917K_c.jpg

You know what it is. 2013 Gulf Series HWC Exclusive - Porsche 917K. (1120/4000)

Don't like that imbalanced ride height. I should fix that, shouldn't I?

Last edited:
Yeah, the Datsun got my vote. And the Bayside Motors diorama certainly makes a great backdrop, nice pics. 👍
Can you still post in this thread from the Homeland Security prison? It was nice knowing you. Bye.

Can't wait to see Andy's pics of his cars from prison, those vertical bars should make a nice background too.

Last edited:
The jewels in my Hot Wheels/Matchbox crown:
IMG_1876 copy.jpg

IMG_1877 copy.jpg

IMG_1878 copy.jpg

From the Flying Customs Line. My favourite HW casting
IMG_1879 copy.jpg

IMG_1880 copy.jpg

This is a mainline, but the casting is very good
IMG_1881 copy.jpg

IMG_1883 copy.jpg

Model from the 2003 Mainline. Got it off eBay
IMG_1884 copy.jpg

IMG_1885 copy.jpg

Simply beautiful
IMG_1886 copy.jpg

IMG_1887 copy.jpg

Another killer casting

Last edited:
I've been ferrying my stuff from my parents loft to my house this past week and come across my modest HW collection, but I did find these beauties.

DSC_0840.JPG

I had one as a kid, but picked this up for next to nothing a couple of years ago. How very late-80s!

DSC_0794.JPG

And these two were £15 and I had to have them for their undeniable beauty.

So I went and did in some photos for those unwilling to do so:
:grumpy:
I'm torn on this one. Gasser would be the automatic winner for me, if it wasn't for the really bulky looking front axle? If it wasn't for the front end that doesn't at all look right to me, I'd already have owned that $TH.

I guess Datsun would be another popular vote getter, but I'm not that crazy about that 510 as much as I am about the coupe casting.
Can't wait to see Andy's pics of his cars from prison, those vertical bars should make a nice background too.
It'll be all blurry, because........ ":("

:lol:

I started reading your post, and was starting to brace myself for the worst. :lol: It says a lot about the company I keep in real life. 💡
VXR
I've been ferrying my stuff from my parents loft to my house this past week and come across my modest HW collection, but I did find these beauties.

View attachment 246685

I had one as a kid, but picked this up for next to nothing a couple of years ago. How very late-80s!

View attachment 246686

And these two were £15 and I had to have them for their undeniable beauty.
I just picked up the one on the left(posted it page or two ago), but it's purple. I like yours better. 👍

And ruin any value it had, but it's your car.

Well, like you said once before, resale ought to mean nothing if you don't plan to resell it.

That said, I'll go ahead and lower that front end a bit. :)

Did you guys vote?

Everyone should automatically know the Datsun's going to have the highest number of votes. I voted for the Greenwood, but I definitely agree the Bel Air is a strong one too.

I like the Greenwood's casting. If you're trying to dig for a deeper reason, it's non-existent. :lol:

Well, I like the casting too. In fact of all the castings that were $TH-ed this year, that's by faaar my favorite. But considering that what makes a casting a $TH are the paint and rubber tires, I'd say you're missing the point a bit :/

Well, at the end of the day, my one vote is just a vote of opinions on a blog. It's a poll to gauge what the Peoples' Choice is on which $TH they like the most, not which $TH should be the best one. You've got enough experience with the voting system to know what's up.

I get where you're going, but given that it is just a poll on a blog, I personally feel it's not something vital or life-changing that I ought to put as much thought into it as you may have.

*In no way am I downplaying your blog, John. Your blog's one of the best things to have happened in this hobby of ours.

Last edited:
Well, at the end of the day, my one vote is just a vote of opinions on a blog. It's a poll to gauge what the Peoples' Choice is on which $TH they like the most, not which $TH should be the best one. You've got enough experience with the voting system to know what's up.

I get where you're going, but given that it is just a poll on a blog, I personally feel it's not something vital or life-changing that I ought to put as much thought into it as you may have.

Ah, I understand that entirely, at the end of the day we're just a bunch of random nerds on the internet :lol: but disregard the poll, I still think you're off the hook in regards to the Vette :crazy:

Back