1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
EMS vs small air packet or whatever it is. Not a very fair race! :lol:

You snooze, you lose.

I mean....

I ordered just Civic & that. I think they put little more effort into the Civic(I have just one pic at the end of the Evo post).

Civic set looks even better. Really puts comparably priced TLVs to shame.

View attachment 673398

Bruh. That looks bomb. But I'll bet that's the Castrol livery making me say that.

Why is it higher in the front?

Pretty and accurate casting. If Tarmac keep improving they might be a worthwhile consistent buy. The only thing putting me off is their use of waterslide decals. I've been burned too many times buying custom Tomica's that use waterslide decals, so I try to avoid anything that uses them.
I hear you. I'm not a fan of waterslide stuff either, but my test is "did I detect anything"? On these two cars, I didn't even notice what kind of decals/tampos they used, so they passed the test. I've yet to take a look at the macro shots of the Civic, so I'll make sure to take a closer look before I post it.
Why is it higher in the front?
Damn it Andy, who do you say stuff like that!? I don't know what you are talking about!! :irked::lol:

I didn't even notice what kind of decals/tampos they used

Its quite easy to spot waterslide decals. Especially full body wraps that Tarmac use. As @AOS- pointed out, door handles, door seams, etc, that don't have a line break in them are certain giveaways for waterslide stickers. A lot of badly stuck on decals will have bubbly/orange peel surface. Even the more intricate ones that follow the edges and seams of the car are easy to spot, like noticing the sticker outline, and transparent areas being shinier than the base paintwork.

Once you know what to look out for when checking waterslide decals, you can spot them straight away.

Porsche%2B930%2BTurbo%2Bred_2.jpg

edit: oh that was a plural. Here:

Porsche%2B911%2BTurbo%2B930%2B%25282015%2BPorsche%2BMinicar%2BCollection%2B6%253ARed%2529.jpg
That's 1:64?
This one's for you, @Spacegoat
IMG_5376.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

IMG_5382.JPG

IMG_5383.JPG

IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5387.JPG

Haul from Sandown yesterday

Well here are my "findings" from my recent visit to the Collectors Antique Mall that i'd say i'd post. It's not much, but I think it's worth sharing!

Heavyweights Cement Mixer. This casting is in fantastic shape and it's the most beautiful redline I have seen in a long time! I want this one, but it's $45 and that sadly is far beyond what I can pay.
image.jpeg
He also had a Dump Truck from the same series in similar shape for I think $38. Sadly I neglected to get a picture of it, but i'll try to get one next time I go back.

The Matchbox Land Rover. Like the one Cano once customized. Though I don't care for Matchbox's, I thought this was an interesting thing to see considering it had the luggage still intact.
image.jpeg

Hot Wheels Picture Maker Set. Never seen this one before, but I figured it was worth sharing. I asked Jack if it actually had the set itself inside or if it was just the box and he said it was the set itself.
image.jpeg

I also some blue Dodge with a white camper shell next to the Rampage I bought. I don't know the name of it yet, but it has real riders and an adjustable rear suspension like the Woodie my brother got. It was in decent shape and rolled fine, but I didn't get it. I will be going back soon though and Jack told me he would let me have for $10. I will most likely consider it when I do.

That's all for now, i'll be going back for a fall festival in about 3 weeks. I should have more money by then and hopefully some more interesting things too.

Cool pictures! 👍
Its quite easy to spot waterslide decals. Especially full body wraps that Tarmac use. As @AOS- pointed out, door handles, door seams, etc, that don't have a line break in them are certain giveaways for waterslide stickers. A lot of badly stuck on decals will have bubbly/orange peel surface. Even the more intricate ones that follow the edges and seams of the car are easy to spot, like noticing the sticker outline, and transparent areas being shinier than the base paintwork.

Once you know what to look out for when checking waterslide decals, you can spot them straight away.
This did have extra glare, and I was wondering about that. I may have to edit my post to add the information. Thanks!

I'm liking the new packaging on these! My favorites of the bunch is the Land Rover, Gas Monkey Corvette and I guess the Skyline. That Skyline almost reminds me of a Corgi.
@Sonygamer455 The Rampages seem to be hard to find for me. Maybe part of it is I can't buy online, but regardless I'd probably hoard it simply because of the trike. :lol:
I'm no hoarder, but if they came out with a new one, I would probably buy 4 of them. One for keeps, two to customize and one to use the 4 wheeler on something else, as well as fill in where it was and customize it. It's a "Rampage" of potential for customization.

I also some blue Dodge with a white camper shell next to the Rampage I bought. I don't know the name of it yet, but it has real riders and an adjustable rear suspension like the Woodie my brother got. It was in decent shape and rolled fine, but I didn't get it. I will be going back soon though and Jack told me he would let me have for $10. I will most likely consider it when I do.

Sounds like the Dodge D50, which was a rebadged Mitsubishi IRL.

I'm no hoarder, but if they came out with a new one, I would probably buy 4 of them. One for keeps, two to customize and one to use the 4 wheeler on something else, as well as fill in where it was and customize it. It's a "Rampage" of potential for customization.
The least I'd do is buy two of them. :D

Sounds like the Dodge D50, which was a rebadged Mitsubishi IRL.
Yep, you're right! It is a Dodge D50. Thank you! I don't even have that truck in my collection sadly. In 3 weeks time that will hopefully change! :D

The least I'd do is buy two of them. :D
Usually that's how I do it and very rarely do I buy more than that. Given this castings history with how little it's been produced without knowing if they will make more or not and it's customization potiental, it's not hard to imagine why I would buy 4 of them.

I am so happy guys...... Finally pop culture cars..... Cool one's that collectors would actually buy:

0000.jpg

Been wanting to get these Spy vs Spy vans for while. I've come close to buying them online, but they were all scalper prices, so I waited. Boy, did it pay off.

0.jpg

While it is guaranteed to be criminal action how '55 Chevy Panel's doesn't have opening rear doors anymore, let alone throwing in removable bike inside, Splitch(whatever that is) Chevy Panel was too cool to pass up for this fan of the casting.

Also got these garbage for my de nephews($4 & change per set):

00.jpg

And some mainline cars for them & me:

000.jpg

I have strong suspicion that 2 or 3 of these are duplicates. I can't keep track.

This did have extra glare, and I was wondering about that. I may have to edit my post to add the information. Thanks!

The surface texture under reflected light can reveal whether its waterslide. That is actually the most obvious and immediate check to make. Does the car have complex liveries? Accurate multi-layer multi-colored pad/silkscreen printing is labor intensive and easy to get wrong. The better a car looks the more likely it is to use waterslides. Tarmac designs are very nice to look at but their complexity can only be done with waterslides at that price point.

Like I said, I have been ripped off too many times buying custom Tomica's sold as high quality pad printing. But they turn out be high quality waterslides. Great to look at, but not so great if those stickers change color and peel off a few years down the line. I've been forced to learn and know the differences between the different types of decal application.

This is a great article by Autoart: http://us.autoartmodels.com/article.web.ViewArticleDetails.do?articleId=57&localeId=en

The TLV 787b uses mixture of pad printing and waterslides. The cross stitching is pad printing in some areas and waterslide in others. Its a very good example to see the differences between the two.

Heavyweights Cement Mixer. This casting is in fantastic shape and it's the most beautiful redline I have seen in a long time! I want this one, but it's $45 and that sadly is far beyond what I can pay.
View attachment 673505
He also had a Dump Truck from the same series in similar shape for I think $38. Sadly I neglected to get a picture of it, but i'll try to get one next time I go back.

That is a great prize for that thing in such a great shape. You should splurge.

The surface texture under reflected light can reveal whether its waterslide. That is actually the most obvious and immediate check to make. Does the car have complex liveries? Accurate multi-layer multi-colored pad/silkscreen printing is labor intensive and easy to get wrong. The better a car looks the more likely it is to use waterslides. Tarmac designs are very nice to look at but their complexity can only be done with waterslides at that price point.

Like I said, I have been ripped off too many times buying custom Tomica's sold as high quality pad printing. But they turn out be high quality waterslides. Great to look at, but not so great if those stickers change color and peel off a few years down the line. I've been forced to learn and know the differences between the different types of decal application.

This is a great article by Autoart: http://us.autoartmodels.com/article.web.ViewArticleDetails.do?articleId=57&localeId=en

The TLV 787b uses mixture of pad printing and waterslides. The cross stitching is pad printing in some areas and waterslide in others. Its a very good example to see the differences between the two.
For long time I wondered what the 🤬 are tampos. I just never thought it was based on the name of the aisle we all try to avoid at the supermarket. Why tampon, and not STD printing, or panties, I guess we'll never know...

Seriously though, that was a GREAT link. Thank you. 👍 Obviously, I know very little to nothing about tampos, waterslide decals, so that was a excellent read for me!

I took a really good look at the Tarmac Evo, and yeah, I do see dull spots on the body, where it is the "clear" part of the waterslide decal. On one hand, I'm impressed by this wraparound technique, because I can't find where these things were cut. It looks so clean. Having said that, those clear parts makes the paint look dull, or glare under lights.

One thing I just thought of, I never noticed this with Kyoshos(and those cars used to be like $6!). You guys know if they use tampos, decals, or both? @AOS- or @RCKakashi14 Any ideas?

For long time I wondered what the 🤬 are tampos.

I think I read somewhere its because the pad looks like the tip of a Tampon. Now you can walk down the sanitary aisle and say to people your buying a car, really.

Of all articles I have read the Autoart one describes the pad printing process the best. It subtly promotes the superiority of their products, but it does highlight that pad printing is the best. I have a few normal Kyoshos, and Beads Kyoshos as well. As far as I can tell they all use Tampons only. Takara Tomy themselves have shown that they can do highly complex full tampon printing. The D1 Drift set I bought a few months ago is testament to that. But that set is 10 years old, and they just don't make them like that anymore.

Judging by the way the darker color doesn't quite adhere to all the complex surfaces, the TLV buses are two-toned using the tampo process. That's quite a lot of surface area compared to what the article was describing.

IMG_8610.JPG

Yeah I'm unsure if the primary part of the Advan was painted on.

One thing I just thought of, I never noticed this with Kyoshos(and those cars used to be like $6!). You guys know if they use tampos, decals, or both? @AOS- or @RCKakashi14 Any ideas?

That's a good question. Let's pull up some large photos of mine:

Acura%2BNSX%2BPolice_2.jpg

Black is clearly sprayed on.

Acura%2BNSX%2BPolice_4.jpg

Honda emblem looks to be tampo.

Datsun%2B240Z%2BSafari%2BRally%2Bprofile.jpg

Decals for sure.

Datsun%2B240Z%2BSafari%2BRally%2Brear.jpg

Yep.

Honda%2BNSX%2BTakata%2B2006_a.jpg

This one looks cleverly done. Base paint is the metalflake. Mask it and spray the white. After that you tampo on a strip where the green fades into white through the dots.

Honda%2BEpson%2BNSX%2B2006%2B%25282007%2BBeads%2BCollection%2B6481C%2529.jpg

Same goes for this one. You can just barely see the edge of the decal on the front bumper where the highlight is.

👍 👍

Lamborghini%2BGallardo%2BRG3%2BtripleA_5.jpg

I think the main one on the side is decal. I'm seeing a round edge.

McLaren+F1+GTR+no39+Team+BMW+Motorsport+LM+1996.jpg

Tampo

McLaren%2BF1%2BGTR%2B(2010%2BMcLaren%2BF1%2BGTR%2BRacing%2BCollection%2B1996%2BLaunch%2BCar%3AKaruwaza).jpg

Tampo (that chip on the "T")

Mclaren+F1+GTR+no41+LM+1998+(McLaren+F1+GTR+Racing+Collection).jpg

Tampo. Unlikely you get that "41" to wrap around a tight edge if it was decal.

Nissan_R92CP_CarpStreamer_5.jpg

Tampo

Nissan%2BSkyline%2BKPGC10%2Bno16%2Bprofile.jpg

I'm guessing tampo with a tear on the Mobil at the door line.

Toyota%2BToyopet%2BCrown%2BDeluxe%2B%25282015%2BMobilgas%2BRally%2BRound%2BAustralia%2529.jpg

Hmm.. tampos. Oh wait. That's no Kyosho!

Nissan%2BSkyline%2BKPC110%2BCB_1.jpg

No brainer.

Nissan%2BSkyline%2BReebok%2Bno1%2B1990_3.jpg

Tampo, even for this 2005 release. Check that UK flag alignment.

Nissan%2BSkyline%2BR32%2BAxia_2.jpg

God 2005 Beads look horrible. Can't tell. However:

Nissan%2BSkyline%2BHKS%2B1992_2.jpg

This one is telling.

Nissan%2BSkyline%2BGT-R%2BR32%2B1993%2BHKS%2B(2005%2BBeads%2BCollection%2B%236063F).jpg

Any guesses? :sly:

Porsche+911+GT3R+Orange_1.jpg

???? Can't tell.

Judging by the way the darker color doesn't quite adhere to all the complex surfaces,

Whoa-whoa-whoa, are you insinuating something here????

NSX Police: Yeah for large single colour areas its normal to just paint it.

240Z: Rough surface texture and decal outlines give this one away

Lambo: Decal on the side. As well as the decal outline you can see the sticker on top of the door seam left of the 't'. And also the sticker extends down to the Kyosho Castrol logos at the bottom.

Mclaren: Perfect example of a good Tampon car.

Kyoshica: Love that car.

GTR Beads. I'm betting Tampo. But that GTR logo looks decal.

HKS: Wrap?

Porsche: Another wrap?

Last edited:
Rarely venture into this thread as much as I used to as it moves so fast! That and when viewing the pages on a mobile device it seems to crash/can't load the pics. Still awesome! stuff by everyone though. 👍

Noticed the interesting discussion about pad printing and just wanted to point out (done this before, I think), that 'Tampo' is a brand, rather than the process. It's like saying you're going to 'Hoover' the carpet, when really what you're doing is Vacuuming the carpet.

More about 'Tampo' : http://www.tampo.co.uk/about/

I think I read somewhere its because the pad looks like the tip of a Tampon. Now you can walk down the sanitary aisle and say to people your buying a car, really.

Of all articles I have read the Autoart one describes the pad printing process the best. It subtly promotes the superiority of their products, but it does highlight that pad printing is the best. I have a few normal Kyoshos, and Beads Kyoshos as well. As far as I can tell they all use Tampons only. Takara Tomy themselves have shown that they can do highly complex full tampon printing. The D1 Drift set I bought a few months ago is testament to that. But that set is 10 years old, and they just don't make them like that anymore.
I see what you are saying about the AUTOart article. You get the impression that they made the effort to present a balanced view.
Yeah I'm unsure if the primary part of the Advan was painted on.
I see that dull glare. I think the real estate of the waterslide is quite large, though I can't see where it starts & where it ends. :crazy:
That's a good question. Let's pull up some large photos of mine:
That was so awesome. 👍 You need to get rid of that rally Fairlady though, covered in those nasty decals. Do you still have my mailing address?[/Dr Nessy]
Judging by the way the darker color doesn't quite adhere to all the complex surfaces, the TLV buses are two-toned using the tampo process. That's quite a lot of surface area compared to what the article was describing.

View attachment 673624
Maybe they were talking about the "large" surface of their typical 1/18 scale? I don't know...
Rarely venture into this thread as much as I used to as it moves so fast! That and when viewing the pages on a mobile device it seems to crash/can't load the pics. Still awesome! stuff by everyone though. 👍

Noticed the interesting discussion about pad printing and just wanted to point out (done this before, I think), that 'Tampo' is a brand, rather than the process. It's like saying you're going to 'Hoover' the carpet, when really what you're doing is Vacuuming the carpet.

More about 'Tampo' : http://www.tampo.co.uk/about/
Good to see you bro. *hides all cars*

I don't know, Nessy. Looks like Google results do show many reference to "tampon printing". Even Wiki noted "tampography" in the pad printing page. I call tissues "Kleenex", so it's entirely possible I'm just stupid. :lol:

Great stuff. :drool:👍

The #22 Commodore looks sweet. Really hoping that Biante will do the retro HRT livery that HSV ran at Sandown at some point.
I was surprised to find both cars at Sandown, I genuinely didn't expect them to come out so early. Clearly Biante know what they're doing; they kill Classic Carlectables in terms of quality. I gather this has always been the case though!

That is a great prize for that thing in such a great shape. You should splurge.
Believe me, I would love to, but I live with my parents who watch over how much I spend and if they found out I payed that much for one casting, they would lose their minds. If you like this one, you'll like the Dump Truck too. I may at least try to get Jack to go down to $19.50 for each, but I highly doubt that will work.

I don't know if you saw or not, but I did have some purchases from that place I posted on page 1634 I think you may find interesting. My brother also chipped in when we went and I have his posted as well.

So my 787B came in, and the wing is not perfect, but acceptable. It's more skewed from above than from behind.
However, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how cheap it looks. The wing is unpainted orange plastic, which doesn't match up in shade or gloss with the painted body of the car. In addition, the plastic is soft and flexible, which explains how so many wings are getting misaligned during assembly. I can't help but think if this car had been released 5 years ago, the wing would have been metal.

IMG_8623.JPG

Back